Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Based on those videos, I just hope to Christ you can turn off all the annoying HUD poo poo. 'Expert Killer Bonus +++ Ur Awesome + 5000 Dick Points!' That poo poo is going to get old quick.

Going off of Eurogamer's review, you cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

TheCoon posted:

Square have been teasing a new DirectX 11 feature for this game and it ended up being some new hair tech from AMD called tressfx:

God drat, that is impressive.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
As I've read more and more discussion on games like Uncharted, Grand Thefto Auto, and this, I'm not sure what it says about me that I don't really connect the story beats with gameplay actions. A grotesque death like this stuff with Lara in the river would give me pause if it were part of the story but as a game over screen, all I see myself thinking is "hurry up and reload".

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Being 34, yeah I'd consider any 19 year old to still effectively be a child - especially in today's "helicopter parent" society..

I mean they basically just made Arkham Croft, Asylum Raider. Why not steal most of the origin story?

Especially when they are still in college and barely have much in the way of responsibility handed to them.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Right, it's clearly a discussion based around interpreted misogyny, sexism, "or whatever else" when the last page has been a comparison with the similar story/gameplay disconnect you get in Uncharted. You really pegged that one.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I found Anniversary to be the best of the bunch but that is no doubt nostalgia influenced. I'm not sure I agree with the parkour comment on Legend but I side more with Underworld with how expansive the puzzles feel.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Crosshair sway is a good idea to show inexperience is a good idea in spirit and awful in practice.

Tewratomeh posted:

Reading the comments here I guess I'm the only one who really liked Underworld and thought Legend was pretty lame and forgettable. Legend felt like a continuation of those lovely one-off games that came after TR3, like The Last Revelation and Chronicles, and Angel of Darkness (which I never played but I heard was godawful).

It was definitely better than any of those, but it still felt similar. "Let's have Lara in Peru and you can kick a soccer ball around... now she's in an Arthurian Legend-based theme park... now she's driving a forklift!"

Underworld felt like what a modern Tomb Raider game should play like, with actual tombs being raided and enough new mechanics that it felt a little bit more fresh.

I liked Underworld more than Legend, albeit with how large and multistage the puzzles were, I sometimes felt at a loss for the next steps.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Non-lovely graphics and not shooting people until the last level or so, where you get a weapon so awesome you don't really need to use a gun. It was also the one that introduced the "walking precariously atop framework/poles" mechanic.

Anyway, I think the main complaint people have about the modern Tomb Raider trilogy is that they're Tomb Raider games. The series has always been about exploring big, mostly-empty areas and some people just find that boring. I happen to like it, so my favorite games in the series are the ones that feature that aspect the most.

Yes, I really do like how the levels in Underworld feel like you are exploring a tomb from beginning to end. You aren't just dropped at the entrance and as you enter a puzzle space there isn't a slow pan showing you each key element. Granted, there isn't much telling you at all outside of Lara camera filming cutscene and the vague Field Assistance comments, but still... I didn't feel fed the path I need to take, which is nice.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
drat... that's a good bit of luck.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I wasn't mocking you, I've got Idle Thumbs on the brain. There's a game I'm sure I played fairly recently that had a lot of displayable collectibles, but I can't remember what it is. In this, you've got the Skyrim style 'rotate' camera thing whenever you want to look at what you've collected, and journal entries and similar have full audio playback. When you rotate the collectibles, sometimes you find sweet spots which reveal more about the item and you get more Xp as Lara narrates what it means. It's a pretty neat system. Kind of shallow, I suppose, but it's nice to see something other than 'collect thirty silver medallions'.

Are they easier to spot than a small blinking light?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
After the first hunt for food, aren't all future animal kills just to net more salvage parts? As in, mechanical salvage parts? I don't care if it is logically inconsistent, that just makes me laugh so much if it is true.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

I laughed after she killed the first deer for food, agonized after stabbing it to death, and then immediately walked away from the body and just left it and was cool again.

I don't expect to watch her grotesquely eat a dead animal or anything but it was kinda abrupt.

Edit: added spoiler tags to be safe but it isn't anything at all really

I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty much every review talks about this moment.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not in love with QTEs but I appreciate Crystal Dynamics design choice to have then flow with what is going on in the scene instead of just being a bland pop up. It's less jarring to me, at least.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Does the techie partner (haven't heard his name yet) have a transhumanist tattoo on his neck? Please say yes :allears:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Guardians of the Light or Underworld. GotL is played from a fixed isometric view, so take that into account.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

There are an awful lot of perfectly white linens and other fabrics on a seemingly disgusting island.

Outside of the ropes, I'm having a hard time placing any white fabrics being perfectly clean. The effigies in Shantytown are probably the closest but they definitely have some grime on them.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Does anyone here like steelbook cases? I got it with my copy at Target bit am trading the game in now that I beat it. Figured I would check and see if anyone wanted to swap cases before I did.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Is it a pretty cool case? I might be interested. :toot: I mean I think steelbook cases are pretty slick, and the version I got came in a big metal "Survival Tin" but the game itself was in the normal green Xbox360 case.

Sorry, I thought I said I had the PS3 version, which isn't an issue for the steelbook but would be for my trade in.

I like it but as it was when I got one for Assassins Creed 3, the clips for the manuals and stuff aren't placed for PS3 sized so it's kind of annoying to have them flop about whenever I open it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mallory posted:

There's criticism and then there's picking apart stupid poo poo like she doesn't die from an infected wound.

I think the financial cost is also a factor. Outside of buying season passes from iTunes or Amazon Video, games cost considerably more to consume compared to tv, movies, or music. People wind up being a lot more defensive towards criticism so as not to feel like they wasted their money.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Or it cost $15.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Well the idea is the additional story content is the reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
A sequel has been announced as being "well in to development" for next gen consoles.

• Locked thread