Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I finsihed this last weekend, after buying it on a whim, and it really surprised me how much I liked it. I've only played one previous Tomb Raider ages ago, the second one I think, and thought it was OK, but not much more. This new one really worked as a straight forward action adventure game. The combat was really well done and the platforming could have been expanded on, but what was there was decent enough. I'm old, so I prefer puzzle style platforming to pixel perfect jumping. There could have been a bit more free form adventuring though. I liked that part

Story wise it was decent enough. Simplistic plot and apart from Lara none of the characters really stood out. But nothing was really bad either. It was just a workmanlike background that didn't get in the way of the actual gaming. Lara Croft herself felt like a pretty good protagonist. A clear step up from the previous iteration. She actually had a personality beyond tits and hotpants this time. All in all a very good game. I liked it more than Bioshock: Infinite even.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, now the sequel has been announced. Not much info yet, beyond a CG trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUwiu4tmtg

Still, I really look forward to it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Tomb Raider: Prozac Overdose sounds like a very interesting and original concept if you ask me.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 11, 2014

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I don't really understand why some people hate the story and characters in the Tomb Raider reboot so much. I mean it wan't great or anything. A fairly run of the mill and predictable plot with sort of cliched characters, but it served ok for running the action along and I've sure encountered far worse plots in plenty recent video games. Unremarkable but servicable really.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

DrNutt posted:

I will probably be hated and cursed for saying this, but I for one would like more stealth sequences where you have to take dudes out quietly with your bow. There's one spot near the end of the reboot that's drat near impossible to do guns blazing, and I'd like to see more of those situations. Sure, technically you can just jump out with your machine gun and mow dudes down, but it's far more satisfying and "realistic" to take them out one by one.

I would also like that. One of my favourite levels in the reboot was one where I snuck around in a dark forest while picking off a bunch of goons one by one. The game had some pretty servicable stealth mechanics really.

As for the namee of the sequel it's not great, but I guess what they want to get across is that it's about how Lara finds her tomb raiding Calling while the first game was merley about her finding out that she had what it takes to be a survivor and killer if she was fforced to. If the game delivers I'll forgive a middling title.

• Locked thread