Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

My favorite thing about the first Tomb Raider was how few people you had to kill. This game seems to gorge on murder/death, which is a bit distressing to see. It doesn't completely turn me off from the game, but it feels like it is hampering its own potential by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

This is exactly what is turning me away from this. I loved the original game because it was based on exploration of interesting and perilous environments. An hour of the sequel turned me off from the series and I never came back; I really want to with this game but all the shootin dudes reviews are making me wary enough to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

DrNutt posted:

It seems to be the current trend in game reviews (for like, a long time now) that they read very negatively but when it comes to the score it's still like 8 or 9 or something. I don't think game critics really understand what they are doing.

Yeah, I read 9's as "pretty fun for the most part" and 8's as "painfully average but playable if you like the genre". Anything less than an 8 is basically saying the game is trash and should be avoided.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Tewratomeh posted:

This is how most people handle review scores but it's not entirely accurate. A "9" means "everybody will probably love this game even if they don't like X gameplay style", an "8" means "still really good but you may not like it if you don't like X", "7" means the game is flawed enough that unless you love a franchise or the gameplay style you'll likely hate it.

A 6 is basically a coin flip and anything below that is "complete garbage".

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant I just stated it a little more cynically I guess.

And DrNutt I know what you mean, I do read reviews but not for the scores or to tell me I'll like it, more just for general information. It's just that it seems like every single AAA title gets a 9+ and it's this silly "Everything is Awesome!!" uncritical approach that grinds my gears.

• Locked thread