Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Carecat posted:

New driver and patch let me progress but my graphics still break later when climbing the stairs after the first axe upgrade and opening the door with Whitman. Reloading without TressFX doesn't help so it's something else like tessellation.

Yeah, tessellation is the biggie, for me (GTX 660). The game update helped a little, inasmuch as the game would run for more than 30 seconds a time, but it was far from stable, so tessellation remains off for now. A shame, because the game looks spectacular with it on. Having got back into PC gaming in the last few months (Sept '12 to be precise), this is the first game I've had an issue with, out of a couple of dozen purchased. Still a bummer though, to be sure.

I *haven't* tried the beta drivers at this time because, well, I'm still paranoid about drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dogen posted:

Isn't tessellation pretty compute-heavy? Maybe that has something to do with the problems with 600s since they have cut down compute performance.

I couldn't say. On or off, I get a solid 60 FPS regardless, though to be sure, I'm only running 1920x1080.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Finally got a chance to finish an initial playthrough, all patched up and happily tessellated. Oh won't carp on at length, but at least say holy crap, that was loving awesome :rock: Definitely warrants another playthrough - may as well try hard out, and pay a bit more attention to the combat mechanics that are far and away the best the franchise has had. Well, since Crystal Dynamics took up the reigns; not familiar with the still-earlier titles.

That aside, I hope Square Enix's internal projections for this game actually *leak*, because I just got to know what 3.4 million inside a month is dissappointing against :psyduck:

Edit: Good point, AngryBooch.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Tomb Raider's MP could be well received and ripping it up (ala ME3's), and for my part I'd still be bummed by their chosen policy, because I don't care about MP, but would certainly buy SP DLC (assuming it wasn't poo poo).

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

Here's a pretty interesting interview with the author where they touch on the subject. As usual, don't read the comments.

Hadn't seen that article! Thanks for the link; an interesting read. Also, pro-tip on comments. Should've taken your advice on that one :doh:

Maybe it's just because I am in the right gaming mood at the moment, but this game is just going from strength to strength for me at the moment. And I say that while being half-way through a third playthrough! Kicking it up to Hard contributes. Kind of like Insanity Mass Effect - not gruelling hard, to be sure, but rather, less room for error. That said, as much as I enjoy the action, I specifially enjoy it embedded within the framework of the single-player campaign, and everything about how *that* is structured. I can't imagine I'll ever try the MP ever (since it'd be the game stripped of much of what I like about it, like all MP in games where I enjoy the SP).

DekeThornton posted:

Story wise it was decent enough. Simplistic plot and apart from Lara none of the characters really stood out. But nothing was really bad either. It was just aworkmanlike background that didn't get away of the actual gaming. Lara Croft herself felt like a pretty good protagonist. A clear step up from the previous iteration. Sher actually had a personality beyong tits and hotpants this time. All in all a very good game. I liked it more than Bioshock: Infinite even.

Edit: The nod to Bioshock Infinite is an interesting one. I played through that one three times too, but for that game things were starting to get quite stale by the end of the 3rd run. TR seems to have better longevity for me. And yes, by far and away the best 'Lara as actual character' too.

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 28, 2013

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

And I don't. This game was better than Anniversary/Legend/Underworld trilogy. I hope the sequel is in the same vein.

Yeah, while on one hand I miss certain elements from the previous three games, this new one was more enjoyable to me by far. That said, I think current game would serve will as a foundation. That is, I think they could re-introduce certain elements from the previous games, without necessarily compromising all the good new stuff. I don't see it as an either/or.

Hell, I never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually enjoy the combat mechanics in a Tomb Raider game. I don't want to lose that stuff. I also wouldn't want to lose the character stuff. But nothing about that or the action is intrinsically incompatible with additional emphasis on puzzle-platforming, exploration, and so forth.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Who Dat posted:

Surprised there's not more chat on this now that the Definitive Edition is out.

I'm just starting the game, and I had trouble finding an answer via google, but is there any reason to play the game on hard vs easy? As far as I can tell there is no achievement/trophy linked to difficulty, but I was unsure if there were different endings.

Echoing Yodzilla. Tomb Raider isn't an especially hard game. For my part, I mostly play games in a casual manner, but it *is* worth playing TR on Hard just to push you to be a little bit more invested in the mechanics, and tactics in general. Edit: That said, I think the combat in this game is fantastic, and wish I'd done my first playthrough on hard rather than normal. You can only play it the first time once, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah the combat is fantastic but you're so overpowered for 75% of the game that you have to pretty much try to get yourself killed even on Hard. Even without using the multitude of guns you can one-shot almost everything with the bow & arrow with ease and then there's the melee abilities.

Yeah, in a recent 'no guns' run I was thinking the game would have benefitted from an additional difficulty tier (as opposed to rebalancing the existing tiers). Lets call it 'survivor' or something. Have Lara be appropriately vulnerable to attacks, tweak the health mechanics, have some resource scarcity going on, etc.

• Locked thread