Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm not reading a single bit of the drama in this thread but after spending about four hours with this game today I think it's loving awesome. It looks fantastic, the story is interesting, the environments are interesting and fun to explore and the combat is visceral as hell. Good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ZeeBoi posted:

BUT BUT LARA IS SO VIOLENT AND THERE'S A DISCON:suicide:

I believe there's a line right after she kills her first group of dudes where Lara says something like "it's scary how easy it is."

Scary awesome. :black101:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Reveilled posted:

On that note, is there a graphic option for disabling the lens effects in this game? I didn't have them for my first playthrough, but either the game or my card got patched and now there's little red hexagons on my screen any time I gut an animal.

Welcome to the future. Maximum Salvage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How do you get to the area between Coastal Forest and Mountain Temple where you have to dodge the dudes with the flashlights? I could have sworn I saw a collectible in there but I can't climb back down the ladder from above nor go though the sealed door you needed to upgrade the pick to open. Is there another way I'm missing?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Duck and burger posted:

Haha, that's too bad. I could really go for more.

I wouldn't mind a harder top-end difficulty to be honest. I'm playing on Hard Combat now and a quarter of the way through the game the only time I've died is in QTEs or jumping off a cliff trying to reach something.

So Icey Seifuku posted:

You can't go back there, However your not missing any collectibles as none are placed in areas you cannot revisit.

Gotcha. Yeah I thought I saw one of those shiny metal boxes as I walked up a hill but maybe it was just a generic crate.

Didn't know there were crabs, gotta find them crabs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zombies' Downfall posted:

As an example of what I was saying, Brad and Patrick were talking about this stuff on the Giant Bombcast and Jeff seemed to sort of cut in and dismiss it with "the thing is nobody wants to play a game where you're crippled" or whatever.

Miasmata is probably the closest thing I've ever played to this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So just for the heck of it I decided to try and fire up multiplayer last night but it's completely dead already isn't it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
As much as I appreciate what they did to reboot this series and character I'm really interested in how they develop and age Lara into the next game. I wonder if she'll go back to her slightly cocky but in a refined wordly British manner from the previous games, though it might be interesting if she goes through an experienced and really cocky Nathan Drake-like stage to get there.

LibbyM posted:

I played through uncharted 2 a ridiculous number of times just because I really loved the core gameplay, so I'm not concerned about enough content as far as replayability. I just hope hard mode is actually pretty hard at least.

It's really not. I feel like the only reason I'm dying occasionally is because I'm playing on Hard, only using the bow and trying to headshot absolutely everyone. Even then I've died much more in QTEs and loving around than in combat, it's still very forgiving. I feel like if I was actually using all of the weapons and just blasting dudes it'd be a cakewalk.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DrNutt posted:

A neat difference from normal to hard that I noticed is that Lara reacts differently to being shot. On normal, you can maintain your aim if you're shot once, while on hard Lara will jerk around and you'll have to readjust again, which I found was often enough time for an enemy to hit her with a second arrow. I'm assuming that if you're playing with m + kb controls, combat difficulty becomes trivial either way, but I played with a gamepad.

Nope I'm playing entirely with a 360 controller. I guess I've played enough console action games that I'm pretty accurate either way but that's cool about her hit reactions changing. That's the kind of stuff I like in regarding difficulty changes as opposed to just everything hurting you more and having more health.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I didn't like most of the changes in Anniversary honestly. The dinosaur segment in particular was a giant letdown and there was just something sort of off about a lot of the areas.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Combat in the original Tomb Raider consisted of jumping around like an idiot and praying that you didn't get completely loving destroyed. Health and ammo were super scarce and encounters with creatures were legitimately deadly and if you screwed up your last save was probably an hour ago. Besides constant checkpointing (a good thing) Anniversary throws ammo and health at you all the time and the one-hit dodge snipe makes combat trivial.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Palpek posted:

drat, despite being a really weak game Angel of Darkness looks like the biggest leap when it comes to graphics.

It's just that screenshot. Angel of Darkness was bad looking even when it was new and the leap came from mostly there being a three year gap and a new generation of hardware between it and Chronicles. Legend and Underworld are leagues better than that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm a little disappointed that the mounted machine gun sequence didn't end with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZeDq4Yo6Jk#t=40s

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I love that they built a dynamic day/night cycle into this game. So many developers would have just done "okay this area is always day, this area is always night" but based on what time of day it is in the story in Tomb Raider if you travel around to other camps for collectibles those areas are the same. That's really cool.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So Alex died for a screwdriver and a wrench. Good job bro.

Is it possible to overhunt all of the areas of the map or only ones with boars? I spent a good deal of time in the first area blasting deer and rabbits and I never got the message there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I've yet to ever find a match. Doesn't throw an error, I just can't find anybody.

And just beat the game. I really enjoyed it and exploring the environments but I honestly think it was way too easy. It needs a harder difficulty or challenge rooms or...something besides the multiplayer I can't even get into. The combat is a ton of fun but I basically had to gimp myself throughout the entire game so as not to mow through everything.

I'm real excited to see where this series goes though. I'm guessing the GPS pickups are the biggest clue as to that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I feel like I barely used the majority of the things I unlocked.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DrNutt posted:

To be fair, I think this has been pretty common in a lot of games lately. I'm sort of blanking right now on anything I've played recently, but I think Far Cry 3 was like that, as well. That game needed a new game plus something fierce.

I was going to say they're sort of patching this into Far Cry 3 but apparently the outpost reset and harder difficulty patch came out earlier this month! Now I have something else to play! :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Groetgaffel posted:

And Lara actually looks like an actual human being, and not something drawn by a drunk pin-up artist! :v:

Yeah all of the characters are really good like that.

I'm really disappointed that Grim doesn't show up at some point kicking the poo poo out of some samurai or some such. His death was offscreen so you never know what really happened!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh hey there's both a new nVidia patch out today and an update to Tomb Raider:

quote:

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.730.0. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

New fixes in 730.0:

• Upgraded the save slots from three to 99
• Introduced “Last Campsite Save”, which automatically saves your progress up to the last campsite you have visited
• Added stereoscopic 3D reticle
• Fixed issues with the discovery of the Unworthy campsite.
• Fixed a problem that occurred when traveling back to the Sacred Hall Basecamp after that story has been completed
• Fixed a playthrough stopper in Chasm Bridge
• Fixed a playthrough stopper that could occur when loading a saved game created in the Coastal Forest after upgrading the axe but before opening the gate
• The active selection in the main menu no longer changes due to the rotation of the menu itself
• Fixed Mouse and Aim Sensitivity slider settings getting rounded to coarser values on save
• Fixed a crash in multiplayer that could occur while migrating hosts
• Added functionality to activate and deactivate DLC multiplayer maps during matchmaking. Maps can also be manually activated and deactivated in the new ‘Match Making’ menu in the ‘Options’ menu.
• (DX11) Fixed a few self-shadowing artifacts in the beach
• (DX11) Various performance optimizations
• (DX11) Improved sunlight shadow quality
• (DX11) Lens flares now render correctly in stereoscopic 3D
• (DX11) Improved exclusive fullscreen <-> windowed transitions
• (DX11) Fixed occasional crash on startup related to stereoscopic detection
While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build722.3, that can be used to switch back to the previous version. Please note however that you can only play multiplayer with people that share your version.

We are planning further patches beyond this one to address various issues that have come out of consumer feedback since the release of the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If it makes you feel any better there's concept art of some white chick as an Endurance Crew member that doesn't appear to be in the game so just pretend she died when the ship wrecked. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Winks posted:

Wasn't she supposed to be the sacrifice at the beginning? So she was kinda screwed either way.

Dan Didio posted:

In the original trailers/gameplay demos, she's the person you find strung up when Lara first gets free at the start of the game.

Oh I didn't even think about that. I guess Lara didn't seem recognize her besides "oh that's awful" so I didn't think it was anyone from the ship.

Another thing I liked about this game is how when backtracking you can run into enemies going about their business cleaning up after you or just kind of doing other jobs and having conversations among themselves. It definitely breathes a little life into the game instead of having them be empty arenas when you want to go re-exploring.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Where did they say that Tomb Raider was a failure?

e: oh http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

morsanlgeos posted:

I don't know what just happened, but I think I like it.

EDIT:

Yeah this started happening during the GB Quick Look. I think it looks rad as hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If they made single player DLC or some sort of challenge arena against waves of dudes I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mordaedil posted:

Hair physics are *really* hard to pull off well.

Also TresFX seems to be disabled in that screenshot.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it's pretty neat. Some areas repopulate lightly and you can eavesdrop on the groups of baddies talking about what you've done or just bullshit around. It's honestly really well done.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

monster on a stick posted:

- I've only done one of the optional tombs (the one that is basically thrown in your lap) but it seemed way too easy. Maybe I am just used to Assassin's Creed tombs which are pretty tricky especially with the timing :argh: and platforming :bang: bullshit.

Yeah the optional tombs are neat but they're not very long and none of them are very hard. Honestly nothing about this game was tough but I still enjoyed it.

- How much time should I spend hunting and picking berries? I did a little of it after one of the first camps, haven't done it since as I was getting Red Dead Redemption flashbacks and realized how unfun it got after a while.

Only as long as you want. It's a good way to grind out experience in some areas and I found hunting stuff to be genuinely fun but that's all it's used for.

- Do I have to worry about finding ammo for the bow? It seems to be in shorter supply now that the firearms have been introduced, and I'm enjoying using it.

You have to be judicious if you want to use the bow the entire way through the game. I mostly ignored gun and never really had a problem with arrow consumption, especially after picking up skills that let you re-use arrows easier.

- This seems like a really short game.

Eh, I think the length is actually pretty spot on, especially if you try to find all of the goodies. I just wish there was more of a challenge to it because I loving adored the combat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I couldn't get into a match the week it came out. Useless.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No there's not but I still found Hard to be way too drat easy in combat so if you're looking for even a slight challenge go there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah the combat is fantastic but you're so overpowered for 75% of the game that you have to pretty much try to get yourself killed even on Hard. Even without using the multitude of guns you can one-shot almost everything with the bow & arrow with ease and then there's the melee abilities.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I want a drugged out Lara Croft game where she thinks she's raiding tombs and finding treasures but in reality she's just running around her wealthy neighborhood robbing houses.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Rhianna Pratchett was lead on the first game, no info about this one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hakkesshu posted:

I seem to recall her speaking very negatively about her experience with writing the first game (i.e. they apparently changed/ditched a lot of the characterization), so I doubt she'll return for 2.

She straight up disowned Thief due to how hosed up the end result was.

I have to imagine being a writer for video games being a hard and frustrating experience when your work is chopped up and destroyed due to technical and budgetary reasons. I mean, that happens in TV and film as well but it seems even worse for games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The story in Gears of War 1 & 2 was completely incomprehensible with how chopped up those games ended up being. I don't blame him.

Veib posted:

She also has the problem of idiots making GBS threads on anything she does because they think she's only getting work thanks to her father.

I can imagine, especially with neeeeeeerds.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DekeThornton posted:

I don't really understand why some people hate the story and characters in the Tomb Raider reboot so much. I mean it wan't great or anything. A fairly run of the mill and predictable plot with sort of cliched characters, but it served ok for running the action along and I've sure encountered far worse plots in plenty recent video games. Unremarkable but servicable really.

I think people expected/wanted more of the survival aspect than what the game ultimately delivered. It seemed like something they intended to do but couldn't for development reasons.

And this is a personal thing but I've always thought the magical elements of the Tomb Raider games were kinda dumb but they've been in there since literally the first game so eh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I guess the supernatural thing to me is weird because growing up I never actually beat any of the Tomb Raider games. Then later I played some of the post-Angel of Darkness games and actually did beat them and I was like wait what is this magic nonsense only to go back to the original and see that it ends with you fighting a lava missile spewing demon. :v:

And normally I'd say yes to less combat but all of the encounters in this latest Tomb Raider were so much goddamn fun I wanted more of it. The combat was seriously great. What I want from the new one is:

1) more hunting
2) harder combat
3) even more wide areas to explore
4) longer, more plentiful dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kibayasu posted:

Am I the only one who thinks calling the sequel "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is seriously dumb after already having a game simply called "Tomb Raider?" Like, if the second game is the "Rise" of the tomb raider than what was the tomb raider doing in "Tomb Raider?" Besides not raiding many tombs that is.

Edit: :goonsay:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the worst title they could have picked. It's shockingly stupid and worse than all of the other Rise of Something titles just for how loving forced it feels.

• Locked thread