Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Just do me a favor and never play III, Last Revelation, Chronicles or Angel of Darkness.

What is wrong with Tomb Raider III? It had some of the largest, most interesting and varied environments. I have always considered III to be the last "good" one, but I never played Aniversery or the other newer ones... I checked out about half way through Angel of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
oh yeah I played TRIII on the PC with quicksaving and such... I could see how it would be more frustrating on a console. While it was much harder, it worked as a natural progression from TR and TRII.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wengy posted:

I think he was referring to Hitman: Absolution's marketing campaign, which was indeed disastrous. I am surprised it sold so well though, I was incredibly disappointed by Absolution.

Well, Hitman: Absolution's marketing campaign featured a incredibly misogynistic sequence of the player character brutally killing assassins dressed like sexy nuns. Tomb Raider's marketing feature somewhat exploitative scenes of the player character being brutally killed. I'm pretty sure that the disturbing truth is that the average game would rather murder sex objects than be one getting murdered. The fact that Lara is more than just a sex object in the new game only works against her as far as the lowest (and most) common denominator is concerned.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, that isn't true. Any good company would do internal testing and focus testing to at least get some idea of how it was received. Either they didn't do that (and they're morons) or their internal testing gave a completely different outcome in the real world.

Well, A game can have a multiplayer that is legitimately fun and well designed, but if it's not something people give a poo poo about it's still going to fail because not enough people will play it. I haven't played Tomb Raiders MP because when I think Tomb Raider I don't think "Death Match" but for all I know it's a perfectly good game mode. I will never know because I don't care to even try it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

I want a drugged out Lara Croft game where she thinks she's raiding tombs and finding treasures but in reality she's just running around her wealthy neighborhood robbing houses.

Tomb Raider 2: The King of California

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I don't know if anyone else is reading the tie-in comic that's supposed to lead into the next game, but I really hope it has nothing to do with the plot of RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER. Spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the comic: There are Solarii everywhere and they're still coming after Lara and her friends! Oh, and Sam is kidnapped for some nefarious purpose, again.

Hopefully this is just Lara's paranoid delusion, and not actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I won't mind the title if the game is actually about Lara becoming "The Tomb Raider". The first reboot is called tomb raider because that's what it's a reboot of, and it is about Lara's origin. The game ends with Lara escaping the island, but it's not necessarily the most obvious next step for her to just start raiding tombs all around the world for magical items and treasure.

• Locked thread