Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shingen

The old man can't help but agree with Shouko. He tried becoming a hero in his youth... And it only brought Shingen more grief than what it's worth. But whining about that to those kids would bring nothing to the current conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

Jerking his head up, Inuniku stared past the woman, testing the air.

"We-we not alone." He planted his stick into the ground and dropped his sack next to it. Slowly shuffling to the side, he pulled the sheathed katana from his back and waited.

"Could be the one who kill-killed you men. Could be, you next in line." He cast a glance at Yaiba, sizing up her own intentions. If that scent was the killer, she wouldn't run. Samurai never ran, the fools. "Inuniku not wish to fight, but he also not sure Big-Chief-Yaiba need to die. He will help, if it come-come to that."

Investigate check to see if I can recognize the scent.
[22:39] <Morphball> Shardix: 17 = 5k3e(5,6,3,6,2)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Inuniku does not recognize the scent...but there's a sudden rush of sound as whoever it is takes off running--back towards the camp.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

Inuniku's keen ears picked out the crunch-crunch-crunch of the person suddenly sprinting off through the snow.

"...That not the killer. They run-running!"

Without a second thought, the ratling sprang off in pursuit. Whoever it was and whatever they were doing, their actions were intensely suspicious. No doubt Yaiba would be keen to know what they were up to.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Meanwhile back in town, Brother Ox stumps into the teahouse. The poor fellow is tangled up in his kimono.

"Help..."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

Tomoe takes advantage of the welcome distraction from her kinsmen worries, though it takes until she can touch him before she realizes Ox's problem. "Here, let me help you with that."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Marumaru

Marumaru hops up to give Tomoe a hand, doing her best to stifle laughter. "Brother Ox, how did you manage such a thing?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Brother Ox's face brightens as Tomoe arrives to help. He launches into an explanation.

"Was wake up, and went outside to make sure plant friends okay, and snow falls on my head! And all over me. And then in my eyes! And I thought about pretty singer lady and she not see and I tried to think, what that like? And I close eyes. And then I try to change clothes. How you change clothes? Hard! How! And then I open eyes and stuck and help."

He nods.

Miya Shouko is pointedly not staring. Her yojimbo is, though, and is obviously flabbergasted by the big man.

~~

Inuniku's chase leads him through the brush and the woods, and while there's snow on the ground, the heavy underbrush kept some of the ground clear in this area, making it harder to rely on tracks.

It's gonna take some rolls to pursue this one!

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

Athletics to pursue: [22:55] <+Morphball> Shardix: 2 = 4k2(2,1,1,1)
For the sake of humor, I'm keeping the 1's

Loping on all fours, Inuniku sped off after the individual. Without a horse, it wasn't likely they could outrun him. As the trees flashed by, he saw a glimpse of his quarry ahead and he put on a burst of speed to close the gap. Rounding a particularly mighty pine, he didn't see the low hanging branch until it was too late. Crashing headlong into it, he spun partway up the branch before landing in an insensate pile. The last thing he saw before the lights went out was the packed snow above collapsing towards him. His tail flicked about briefly outside the drift, before realizing it wasn't getting any further instructions and joined the rest of the ratling in unconsciousness.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

"Oh, you must believe in heroes. They are not found everywhere, and they are not always great in rank. But they exist, and even in the dark times, they are here to protect and guide the people of the Empire, that they survive the chaos of dark times. Let me tell you a story about heroes. You see, there was a village, once, held captive by bandits. Not a place that any lord would care much about, perhaps, but it was the world to the people who lived there. And one day, by purest chance, several samurai came to that village..."

It's not hard to see where Qiu is going with this.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Miya girl looks sadly at Qiu. "Should heroes not protect everyone equally?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru's 'help' makes things worse generally, so she eventually steps back to let Tomoe handle it. She answers the Miya for Qiu. "A samurai should protect the weak, whoever they are." She nods to herself. "Even the ratling sees that. I think. He's kind of hard to understand." She frowns, rubbing her forehead as she looks around the room. "Speaking of, has anyone seen him today?"

I just got this great art from thedandmom of Marumaru

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 15, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sorry for the wait everyone.

"Friend Inuniku? He came had breakfast with Ox. Then he go. He not come here?" There is worry in Brother Ox's voice, and, when he's finally disentangled, concern in his eyes. "Brother Ox will go find him!"

Miya Shouko is staring at the big man, clearly a little incredulous.

Teishu adds that Pochi has not been barking today.

~~

Fortunately for Inuniku, it's not actually LONG before he wakes up. Just a short blackout...but, there's no sign of the one he was pursuing, nor, at this point, of Yaiba. There are more footprints, though...heading back to camp, AND down to the village.

Lots of 'em.

For your patience, have 15xp. Who's still with us?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

The ratling levered himself out of the snow drift, holding his head. "Owowow." He glared briefly at the pine as he got to his feet, then patted the branch he had smacked into. "You pretty sneaky-sneaky for a tree. Inuniku not see attack until it too late."

Glancing about, he noticed the footprints and considered his options. The incident with Yaiba and the mysterious figure was concerning. On the other hand, Teishu's inn would be nice and warm. His rumbling stomach quickly made the decision for him - back to the inn for a well deserved lunch. First things first, though. Backtrack and collect his pointy stick and treasure sack. It wouldn't do to forget them, not at all.

Unless something crops up as he gathers his things, feel free to move Inuniku ahead to the village.

That 15 xp puts me at 19 total. Spending 5 to increase Stealth to 5. Adding in my technique bonus, this will put Inuniku's stealth at 10k6. I think he is now sufficiently sneaky. Spending another 12 to increase Stamina to 3. All the hard knocks and near death experiences have toughened the little guy up.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 12, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

"I'll go with you, Brother Ox." Marumaru tucks her swords into her obi and grabs a hat to keep the snow off her head. "There's no point in waiting around."

Spend 12xp to raise Awareness to 3, and thus Air ring to 3. 2xp to raise Etiquette to 2, and 1xp to get Heavy Weapons. This also raises my insight rank to 2!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Just outside the teahouse, a group of Red Fists are gathered--four of them, vaguely familiar looking by now.

"Oh good," one of them says as Marumaru emerges with Brother Ox. "Now we don't have to go in there to call you out."

"We're here for justice," snaps another, hand on his katana. "One of ours was murdered last night, and we mean to claim retribution."

Inuniku arrives back just around then, and is behind these jerks. From beneath the teahouse, Pochi rushes barking towards the Nezumi--and one of the Red Fists, mistaking the dog's intent, draws steel and slices the animal down.

That's an initiative.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

The ratling watched as the man slashed Pochi, his jaw hanging open in shock. He never liked dogs, and dogs didn't like him. Nevertheless, the animal had never done anyone any harm.

This was unforgivable.

Initiative: [18:44] <+Morphball> Shardix: 17 = 4k3(4,9,4,1)

Full Attack Stance

Shardix fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 16, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru draws her sword and tosses aside the scabbard. "We were not the ones who killed your comrade. But you're right - you will find justice here."

Full Attack
Init [19:41] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 22 = 4k3(3,8,8,6)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Allowing others to roll initiative before I proceed into fight-time

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

Tomoe stands, quietly. She says nothing, as nothing is the correct response to angry idiots. Her hand rests quietly on her sword as she turns to face the shouting.

If I attack, the Unicorn will know I'm here. If I don't... someone will get hurt.

It's not even a decision. Her breathing fades into the quiet, regular pace of determination.

Krysmbot KZA, (9 5 4 4, 2) = 22

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Marumaru/Tomoe, Red Fists, Inuniku. The Fists will act as a single group, for ease of tracking.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru doesn't hesitate any longer. She rushes the one who spoke of retribution, sword in a high attack position. She slashes it down at his head with a forceful cut, giving the kiai shout as she swings. The strike reaches for the perfection her master taught her to seek.

Attack 42 (two raises for damage)
[00:43] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 42 = 10k5e([10,2],2,8,8,5,[1,1],6,6,3,8)
Damage 20 (void point spent)
[00:45] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 19 = 9k3(4,5,4,8,2,3,4,1,6)
[01:01] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 6 = 1k1(6)

Init will increase to 25 at the end of the round.

pre:
Init: 22	Stance: Full Attack	TNtbH: 20	Void: 1/2
Wounds: +0 [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]	+3 [OOOOOO]	+5 [OOOOOO]	+10 [OOOOOO]
	+15 [OOOOOO]		+20 [OOOOOO]	+40 [OOOOOO]	Out [OOOOOO]

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 20, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

As Marumaru strikes from one side, suddenly from the other a blade appears, as though from magic, and lashes out at the Fist opposite. Blindness does not impede Tomoe's aim.

Iai Strike: 8d10o10k4 28
A mere 6 = 6, 7 = 7, 8 = 8, 6 = 6 15 damage, alas.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Red Fists slash out wildly, but manage to hit exactly nothing.

Crappy rolls for them.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

Charging at the man who attacked Pochi, Inuniku jabbed his pointy stick into the man's kidney. Letting go, he tumbled back and raised a paw to the hilt of his katana, preparing to draw.

Attack: [21:58] <Morphball> Shardix: 54 = 7k6(4,[10,3],[10,8],4,6,7,6)
Wounds: [22:01] <Morphball> Shardix: 8 = 5k1(1,8,4,2,8)

Free action to move away twenty feet.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The thugs are cut, one of them fairly bad, but they're still up. It's new initiative round.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru presses her advantage, slashing across her opponents body, not letting him have a chance to recover. "You have chosen the wrong opponent!"

Attack 52 (three raises for damage)
Katana Attack: 10d10r1o10k5 52
Damage 32
Katana Damage: 9d10o10k2 32

pre:
Init: 25	Stance: Full Attack	TNtbH: 20	Void: 1/2
Wounds: +0 [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]	+3 [OOOOOO]	+5 [OOOOOO]	+10 [OOOOOO]
	+15 [OOOOOO]		+20 [OOOOOO]	+40 [OOOOOO]	Out [OOOOOO]

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

The blade returns. Hindered by darkness, it hits only a little.

Note to self: spend all this XP I've been unintentionally hoarding after this.

Kenjutsu attack: 7d10o10k3 23 4d10o10k2 9

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yeah those guys are dead guys

The Red Fists fall, and in the silence, Pochi whines softly, wheezing on the ground. There is stillness, there is a lot of stillness.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

Seeing the last Red Fist fall, he watched the two samurai-ko with new respect. Even Sad-Eyes-Tomoe had put his own efforts to shame, and she was blind. Tomoe, Marumaru, wise old Baba, and Big-Chief-Yaiba...

It was becoming increasingly obvious that among the pink-skins, the women were clearly superior.

Inuniku shook his head. That wasn't important right now. Loping carefully over to Pochi, he examined the animal. Unfortunately he had very little experience with dogs. He guessed maybe cracked ribs in addition to the laceration? He couldn't be sure.

Medicine: [22:00] <+Morphball> Shardix: 9 = 3k2(3,4,5)

Gathering the dog up in his arms, he glanced at his companions, ears flat against his head. "Inuniku must find Wise-Beard-Hundred-Wrinkles. He-he know what to do." With that, he walked towards the inn, careful not to jostle Pochi any more then necessary.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru carefully wipes the blood from her blade before retrieving the scabbard and sheathing it. "This won't be the end of it with the Red Fists. And whoever murdered their friend is out there now too." She rubs her forehead with the heel of one hand. "Should we go and speak to Yaiba-san before this gets worse? Or is that just walking into another fight?"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 5, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Giving some time for others to respond. Mors said he was still in.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

Qiu smiles at Miya Shouko.

"Exactly, yes. Heroes must protect the entire Empire."

He closes his eyes, shaking his head.

"You said you are an Imperial Historian. And I am just an old monk. But I am telling you: to be a hero is to stand for all of the Empire. The legends of heroes, the flow of history...these things are not just about men in palaces or grand battles. They are about all of the world, great and small. A hero does not fight just for an Emperor, or just for a general, or just for a clan. The peasants, who starve when war comes to the land...they need heroes as well. And their taile is a part of history as well."

Qiu stands, opening his eyes.

"Now, I believe I hear the sound someone coming in. I hope I haven't bored you."

Sorry it's taken so drat long! My life has been stupid hectic lately.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Pochi is in pretty bad shape, but Inuniku's tender ministrations at least don't make him noticably worse off. The villagers are beginning to poke their heads up over windowsills and around door frames, to see what's going on, but as soon as they see the red on the snow, they immediately get out of sight again.

The Miya girl's yojimbo untenses as Qiu stands, having clearly heard the fight outside and just as clearly able to tell the fight is over. "Stay here, Miya-sama" she says calmly to Shouko. "It may not yet be safe..."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru considers the bodies for a moment, then sighs. "I'm going to see what Qiu thinks. And someone will need to clean these bodies up. I suppose the innkeeper will know where to find some eta." She adjusts her sword and follows Inuniku back into the inn to see about that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

Qiu has no worries about his own personal safety. He heads outside, looking things over. His face falls. "Ah...well, I suppose that some things cannot be prevented." He looks to Inuniku and Pochi. The dog may yet live - the men largely won't be. "Come - let me see. I...will do what I can. Gather all the men that yet live." Even if they are foes, he is not going to deny them what little he can do. "Please - tell me what has happened here."

Wow, I also am sitting on a ton of XP. Well, may as well drop on stuff immediately useful: raising Medicine to 3 and buying an emphasis in Non-Human Anatomy so I can also treat dogs and Inuniku as needed.) Also, Awa to 3. ...and with 25 XP left, since I've bought practically nothing so far, uh...12 on Ref to 3, too. And I'll hold onto 13.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Inuniku

"Inuniku does not-not know. He was returning to village when Pochi-dog caught he scent and came to yell at Inuniku. But-but the Red Fist attacked him. Sa...Scary-Eyes-Tomoe and Fair-Hair-Wind-Blade went whoosh and they all fell down."

He cast a look over his shoulder at the pair, his tail thrashing nervously. He returned his attention to the monk.

"Inuniku will do what he-he must to help Pochi. Just say." The ratling bobbed his head deferentially to Qiu, the worry obvious on his face.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru watches Qiu work, and undertakes a clearer explanation. "One of the Red Fists was killed last night. Some of them decided we'd done it, so they came looking for a fight. They found one. Tomoe-san and I dealt with it... but I doubt it's the end of it." She pauses, and adds, "We need some eta to bury the bodies."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 11, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

"Scary eyes?" Tomoe looks irritated for a moment, then resumes a calm expression. "You know, I don't even know what they look like." She laughs, a little melancholy. "I mean, how would I?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Things get worse. Brother Ox staggers in, bleeding, though apparently unfazed. "Many Red Fists," he says. "Dead now. More here?"

• Locked thread