Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ooh. Gonna snag that for friends, on the off chance I can ever break the death grip D&D has on them.

And now I'm off to my local store to see if they have anything left over. Not expecting much, but I need the exercise and they could use the patronage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, now you've got my attention. After getting down to the C's and things like this:

quote:

Somewhere in the dark, dank, cyclopean (and other long words) depths of the sea, Great Cthulu lies dreaming and, when he wakes up, he's going to have an eon's worth of morning wood to work off. Cue our adventurous heroines who are, futilely, going to try and placate the great tentacled beastie before he destroys the world in sheer, sexual frustration.

...I didn't have the heart to dig deeper before.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That sound is me squealing like a little girl. Holy poo poo, Unknown Armies.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If Murderous Ghosts is the same thing that I I got a couple of years back, it's an odd little dueling-playbooks thing between a GM and a single player, with the player trapped in the sub-basements of some horrible warehouse and trying desperately to escape. It says that it's powered by the Apocalypse World engine, but instead of dice there's an accumulation of playing cards reminiscent of blackjack. It's a neat little thing, definitely worth snagging as part of a bundle, at least.

Edit: Aha, that'd do it. Neat!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 15, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the writers for Unhallowed Metropolis has posted around here, but I can't remember his name. A couple of the games seem to be running under a system that time forgot (Pacesetter, FATAL and Friends'd here).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Outrider thing looks cute. It's a print and play card/miniature hybrid game that uses Hot Wheels as minis. God knows how it plays, but for free you could probably do a lot worse.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got two HERO rulebooks floating around here. The first, from the eighties, is about 120 pages long. The second, from somewhere in the Nineties, is probably three, maybe four times as thick. The last HERO book I read had literally hundreds of pages dedicated to chargen alone, and I remember staring uncomfortably at a Youtube video of the developers using a recent edition to stop a loving rifle bullet.

It's absurd. It's a Grand Unified Theory of Character Points, because by default everything from your MP3 player to your bulletproof vest to your doomsday machine is paid for with the same currency. Which is neat, but.

Personally, I find it way too cumbersome. The only time I've ever really got anything out of it, is when I've had a systems savant at hand to perform some suspect character optimization. I will admit, for superheroic stuff, Mutants and Masterminds is more my speed.

Much as I shake my head at HERO, if you can spare fifteen bucks it's still a hell of a thing to flip through.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think you don't really need it for supers, it's just RPG tradition, set by games like Champions. There are plenty of simple superhero systems that work just fine. Having really detailed superhero stats strikes me as more of an aesthetic choice, for folks who want to know exactly how many tons their character could lift or exactly how many minds you can fry or whatever, and tweaking everything from their psychology to their salary. But it's not like comic superheroes were ever so tightly defined in the comics themselves, even when Mark Gruenwald & co. were trying to nail down the exact bench capacity of Rom the Space-Knight.

This is basically my take on it too. There's nothing wrong with simulation and wanting precision, and god knows the comic book nerd quoting issue 12 of Fantastic Foods to explain why Superman couldn't possibly resist a Kryptonite-laced sandwich made from the Bread of Wonder's body is a common parody figure. There's decades worth of Who's Who manuals filled with breathless details, that certainly support that kind of approach too. Rogue's Gallery as Jane's Superhuman Recognition Guide.

And on the other hand you've got flurries of retcons, rewrites, character capabilities changing to better suit the dramatic tension of a scene... those breathless descriptions of superhuman abilities are maybe a step up from playground cops-and-robbers play. Simpler or more abstract systems that offer broad-strokes balance and power definitions, and a framework to prevent schoolyard one-upsmanship, work better if you're playing more for the biff and the pow than the crunch.

I don't think there's anything qualitatively better about either approach. Sometimes you want to know how long Ultimate Spider-Man is going to be laid up with a broken leg. Sometimes you want to knock a mook out with a clever quip instead.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I love the idea of ambient music and background noise, but it's never really worked out for any of my groups. I might get this bundle anyway and give it another shot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I unsubscribed from the newsletter because I got tired of having to scroll down past rave reviews of the bundle that just finished before reaching word of the new one at the bottom. I don't know if it's because I read mail in text mode, or some kind of ad for laggards, but I figured that I could get word of them better here.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

Maybe you could hit the "End" button on your keyboard and scroll a little up?

Or maybe they could format their marketing mail in a logical manner.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's like someone took Number Six's Village, added several ounces of more modern, American conspiracy theories, and laid a veneer of a banana republic shifting to a tourism-based economy on top. Wonderful, wonderful setting if you're into that sort of Illuminated weirdness.

As a game, the mechanics are pretty much there so you don't have to handwave everything. Excising them and the metaplot (which is an amazing rear end in a top hat of a thing) isn't too difficult at least.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

After seventy-six percent of the world’s population was destroyed, the two remaining nation states of Europe and Japan had joined together as one unified government and set to the task of repopulating the Earth.

Birth control was outlawed along with many major taboos and the survivors set to their task with reckless abandon.

Jesus. When they're arranging these things, do they just hold a bag open and hope that someone won't inevitably take a dump in it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

PresidentBeard posted:

What product is that? Sounds ripe for a FATAL and friends review.

That would be the bafflingly named The Schwartzentoten-Moonbeam Device, which seems to be somebody's lovely fic and fortunately not an actual RPG. Still looks to be in the bundle, despite no longer showing in the main listing, oddly enough.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Trollbabe has a write-up in F&F, for what that's worth. Very simple system, I'm thinking of getting in on the bundle for that one alone. Has an interesting 'raising the ante' gimmick, in that at any given time you can decide that your actions are meaningful on a larger scale. Only thing is there's no takebacks, so be sure you really want to take the step from 'Adventurer' to 'Petty warlord'. Octane is icing on the cake.

Baron Munchausen is basically a game of telling tall tales, and trading tokens based on whether or not someone can successfully call you on something or derail your heroic monologue. It's ridiculous, and most of the book is either written from the Baron's perspective, or a dense list of possible conversational gambits like 'Tell us of the time you contrived to ride a keg of rum to the Moon.' It's ridiculous.

Polaris is kind of like Wick's doomed highborn manchildren, without the Wickishness, and they're only as manchildish as you make them. I've always been interested in that one, myself.

Inspectres had a F&F review a long while ago, and I recall that it was really internally conflicted. It claimed to be light-hearted and such, in the vein of the original Ghostbusters International RPG, but had a strange emphasis on injury and the constant near-inevitability of your company going bankrupt.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 16, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's disappointing; it sounded kind of Torg-ish but the system sounds like it's pretty bad. It seems like it'd be something you could just build in Fate in like twenty minutes.

That was my thought when a friend linked it to me a while back. Numenera's a poo poo system to start with, and the fluff they offer up on DTRPG as a dubious hook is so loving generic you could come up with something better with a modicum of effort.

Spincut posted:

Basically what moths said. It's a little too married to its D&D heritage for its own good, basically.

13th Age? I'm not sure how two men with such different opinions about D&D managed to write an interesting new game based on it, and managed not to kill each other, but there you go. Their strongest disagreements are frankly noted in sidebars with optional rule swaps, which I appreciate even if some of those rules are gently caress-awfully wrongheaded.

My big complaint about 13A, aside from the fact that a couple of the classes really just stink, is the horrible, stupid, awful loving layout. Trying to make a character, I found myself flipping and flopping like a politician impersonating a drowning fish, because some things are here, and some are two chapters back, and other things you need to consider are fifty pages ahead. Honestly, I think it was worse than the 3x Player's Handbooks in that regard.

Really like the game besides that, though. There are some really nice ideas in there and the setting is intriguing. It's definitely worth more than just a few bucks for the PDF.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That KAMB is the one they Kickstarted a while back. It's a fairly hefty little bugger, about 120 pages, much of which is optional rules and tables. I haven't played with it, but it looks like the earlier core rules are intact.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If you really like GURPS, then you'll want to perform illegal acts with HERO. It really is the ultimate point-buy system.

I think the fluff for Champions reads like unfunny genre parody, and the system is crunchy enough that GURPS Vehicles looks reasonable by comparison. Mind, I like Mutants and Masterminds and think Fate Core could use some trimming, so I'm not in a position to kink-shame.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't care for Gumshoe either, but I thought the critters were neat. Some take a different approach to the 'biomechanical' gimmick, that I thought was weirdly evocative-- demons with plastic sheets for wing membrane, hellhound-like creatures with the business ends of power drills for tongues, massive, stop-motion horrors...

I haven't looked at the bundle, but I recall being annoyed by the impression that the scenarios in one of the sourcebooks were all pyrrhic, with horrible things bound to happen despite any success by the PCs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm still amused by GURPS International Super Teams' history translating the ERA movement into POWER: Paranormals Only Want Equal Rights.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
3e basically strips the decals off. 2e had a dozen and one powers that were mechanically identical, but had different names, and they admitted that was stupid in the core books.

Im not a fan of the 3e attribute array, but the power system is functional. 2e is still decent, and both are miles beyond the mess that 1e was.

I don't suggest trying to play Batman or Bruce Lee using any of them, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Have the Drive-thru sites been making GBS threads the bed for anyone else lately? I had to fight to download Apocalypse World the other day, and just now it's booted me in the middle of trying to buy the Standing Rock bundle and refusing to let me log back in.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just got back in, and the sale apparently went through. No receipt yet, and the site broke when I tried to download something, but I guess that's progress. I hope it doesn't end up an ongoing issue, I like those sites. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Classics really aren't terribly great. It's Forgotten Realms stuff from a time period that straddles the Time of Troubles, and set largely in Waterdeep. The Forgotten Realms titled comic is an offshoot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is true.

I don't think it speaks well of me that I managed to forget about her amid Dwarf the Dwarf, the extra-magical elf, not-Callahan the bartender and an entire story arc about a Monty Python sketch.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Someone covered Epyllion in F&F recently, and the verdict was that it was a barely functional My Little Pony reskin. The other ones are cool, but Night Witches is going to be a harder sell at the sterotypical gaming table than Uncharted Worlds.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like he's in the UK, so he might have set it to end at midnight there without thinking about it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
$35 shipping. Yeah, I think not.

Edit: I know, there's absolutely nothing they can do about it. Just a nastier surprise than usual.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, MollyMetroid, I'll remember those sites.

Agent Rush posted:

Ok, thanks. I'll wait for the next games then.

That sucks about the shipping prices. Bieeanshee, I'm guessing yours is international as well?

Canadian, yeah.