Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Serf posted:

Looks like a bunch of sourcebooks for Ars Magica 5E are the Bundle of Holding deal. Plus you can get the original bundle with the core book.

How is Ars Magica? I hear good things.

It is one of the most amazing games you may never play. I am willing to say it is my favorite rpg ever, but it requires a CRAZY level of buy in from your players.

Get the books regardless, they are great reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Drone posted:

Any run-down for those of us unfamiliar with the system, as to why it demands such a high buy-in?

There is an intimidating amount of math for some people. It is generally easy math, but Ars Magica has a billion formulas for everything. Once you have a reference sheet and have your characters made it is a breeze to play.

A big thing that wizards are SO POWERFUL compared to everyone else. Fortunately as a wizard you mostly just sit in your tower reading books and designing spells. Adventures? Sorry, I have people for that.

Also, a big thing is that you really need to be self motivated with what your characters life work is. Doing esoteric research and exploring ancient magical runes just to create an advantage that slightly breaks a rule of Hermetic Theory then writing a book about it, as all your guy does, is what your deal is. Decades of work.

Being the biggest fireball throwing man is possible (Flambeau :swoon:) but eh. Any baby can throw fire. Show me something interesting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

LashLightning posted:

Yes, you'll just download them from HumbleBundle. They'll be attached to your account.

GnomeStew, an RPG blog, spoke highly of Renegade Crowns for its random tables. You can generate an interesting area, if you file off the obvious Warhammer bits and pieces if you're to use for hex-crawls and the like.

Yeah, the Border Princes stuff in Renegade Crowns is a great generator for interesting, troubled fantasy area.

These books are pretty much a must buy. I am a huge Old World fan, but these are some great RPG reads especially Tome of Corruption and the Magic one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

bowmore posted:

Oh, Ironclaw the furry roleplaying game

Ironclaw is a really good game with surprisingly unique mechanics that I wish I would see more places. Whenever I have played it the flavor has always been more like a serious version of Robin Hood and not like the creepy furry thing you might imagine.

Having like 80 races to choose from is nice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Scythe is a pretty mediocre game where the best part of it (the art) is mostly stolen. gently caress Scythe.

Yeah, it was a weird bummer to find this out. Explains so much about the art though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

OSR new project workflow:

1. Is Kevin Crawford running it?
YES: :homebrew:
NO: Ignore

Pretty sound strategy

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I smiled a little when I saw Fantasycraft was in one of the bundles. It is a great game if you want a good d&d style fantasy game with a well designed system.

Spellbound might happen one day too... :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It has some serious mechanical flaws, but definitely the 17 dollar level would be an interesting read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

By popular demand posted:

I've been hearing good things about Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory and there's a nice bundle to be had:
https://www.humblebundle.com/warham...eee19a32c0894b2

Any informed opinions and experiences on the game are encouraged.

Fine for the price, otherwise I would not recommend or play.