Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I nominate Ghost Lines which can be found here. It's done by the same people who did GHOST/ECHO and it's a hack of Apocalypse World. The gist is that in some dystopian steampunk nightmare world, electricity attracts ghosts and your job is to keep the lightning monorails connecting the big cities running and ghost-free using your 'lightning hook'. If you don't die screaming and actually live to retire, you'll die alone in the gutter unless you've managed to put enough money aside over the course of your career, during which you also accumulate scars and horror. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
It's an interesting contrast in that the only other game I know that makes "scenes" as explicit as Dramasystem, in that they get established formally and get called at the end and stuff, is Tenra Bansho Zero where the GM has absolute authority on what the scene is, who's in it, where it is, what's happening and when it gets called.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is this what people are talking about when they talk about "oWoD" or "nWoD", and this is a complete game?

oWoD and nWoD are completely different settings and surprisingly different games for how similar they look. They have very different themes as well - grimdark horror for oWoD and personal mystery for nWoD. They're both complete games and good in their own ways - similar to OD&D and AD&D - look very similar, actually very different, both good for different reasons.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The current Bundle of Holding has the excellent Spellbound Kingdoms, the only game I know of where being an awesome swashbuckler is pretty much the most mechanically advantageous thing you can do. The bundle would be worth getting just for that, but it also has Spears of the Dawn, of Fatal and Friends fame - a game made by Kevin Crawford, a guy who has literally never written a bad game. Yggdrasil also features and it's written by the people who made Qin: Warring States which I've heard good things about.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
One of my current gaming groups somewhat infamously got through 5/12ths of a turn in HERO before aborting the game and deciding to play something else. It's really, really crunchy - too crunchy for my tastes and I quite like GURPS. I'm honestly not sure it does anything GURPS doesn't do better. I'll tell you what though, if you wanted to run Worm and were absolutely determined to do it justice, HERO is the system to do it in. Just... gently caress, man.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

foutre posted:

Apologies in advance if there was a better place to post this, please let me know if I should post/cross-post this somewhere else. I've been volunteering for an organization that sends books to prisoners. Some of the most requested books are RPGs -- especially D&D and Pathfinder. Unfortunately, we get those very rarely and most of the books are too heavy for us to afford to send or would require a one or two other core books to play. On top of that, in some states' prisons (i.e., Wisconsin) Dungeons and Dragons is specifically banned anyway. So, I'm trying to find something I can send them instead.

For an RPG to work for this, it has to be:
-- available for free
-- short -- a.k.a. inexpensive to print out

And ideally would also:
-- be flexible/self-contained
-- not require dice (i.e., use rock-paper-scissors or whatnot)
-- not have explicit references to gambling/violence (that a prison official giving the book a once-over would notice). Obviously this one's pretty subjective, and it's really hard to tell what'll get censored/rejected anyway, but generally text-heavy is better.

From looking through the links in the OP and googling around, GURPS lite looks promising, and flexible enough to work well for a lot of different campaigns. 16 double-sided sheets of paper is pretty doable to print as well. The fact that it only requires d6 is pretty good, but there are definitely some prisons where people can't have any dice.

Risus is definitely a good size (4 pages) and doesn't require dice, but might be a bit too basic to stand in as a replacement for D&D etc.

Are there any other systems that y'all would recommend that might be better (i.e., fewer pages to print, no dice required or just generally good)?

Savage Worlds: Explorer Edition is tiny, self-contained and talks about adventure a lot. Only problem is that it needs the full set of polyhedral dice - but only one of each. Fiasco is equally small and only needs d6s, and has a friendly-sounding concept (write a movie together)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

What's different between revised and V20?

V20 is Revised with twenty more years of balance changes, and everything all in one book instead of scattered across a hundred splatbooks. It's the same game, but with an overall improvement.