Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

As some of you know, Margaret Weis Productions' license with Marvel is coming to an end. Actually, only about a day is left on the current license. As such, DTrpg is selling all Marvel Heroic Roleplaying PDFs at a discount. You can buy the core book for :10bux: and fill your HDD with fluff for next to nothing.

This was an ambitious product full of great art, and a game of the likes we may not see for a while. If you've ever wanted to play a table full of superheroes, this is your opportunity. But you need to act fast (Quicksilver fast) if you want to take advantage of this deal, 'cause it's only around for a day.

There's no discount. Those are the same prices they've always charged. That said, there's no waiting around for a bigger discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Technically, yeah. It really gives the impression of having been designed around playing existing heroes in some permutation of the scenarios presented in the event books, but I'm sure that's not the only way it can be played.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Arc Dream has a sale on their RPG Monsters and Other Childish Things http://www.arcdream.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=45 - get $200 of MAOCT books for $50

Including famous author Ross Payton's Road Trip campaign. :)

I really wish I could spare $50 right now.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Does anyone know why shipping on this in the US is 26 dollars?

Do you mean shipping from the US internationally? (In which case moths is correct, international shipping from the US recently went insane.) If you mean inside the US, it shouldn't be. They charged me $7.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Ooh. Exciting. I'm also either lucky or unlucky in that I already own both Beat the Average titles through separate prior purchase and none of the basic tier titles, so I can pledge whatever I feel and get shiny new games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Ooh. I've been curious about Dust Devils since Jason Morningstar hacked it but I didn't know where to get it or really anything else about it. And I've been hearing good things about Mars Colony and Our Last Best Hope. (I already own Annalise from a disaster relief bundle and Dog Eat Dog/Sorcerer from their respective Kickstarters, but oh well.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Because they're kickstarting an expansion, the makers of Part-Time Gods have made it pay-what-you-want on DriveThruRPG for the duration of the expansion kickstarter:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/92731/Part-Time-Gods

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Are they added retroactively if you've already bought that Bundle?

They sure are!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Also Fear Itself.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
If Godwalker's part of the bundle it doesn't appear to be up yet. (I don't really care personally since I bought it on Kindle ages ago, but it's a drat fine book and I hope other people get to enjoy it through the bundle.) But yeah, hot drat. The Bundle of Holding is on fire. I think I've only ever skipped one, maybe two of their bundles. Everything else has been an amazing package. (And I think the one(s) I skipped were because I already owned pretty much everything in them.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Bundle of Nerves has added a new never-before-seen skin for Murderous Ghosts (a haunted mental hospital) and Don't Read This Book, an anthology of Don't Rest Your Head short fiction.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Nightmare Alley Bundle of Holding (https://www.bundleofholding.com) is up. Not sure what to make of it as I've never heard of any of the following games:
- Exquisite Replicas
- In Dark Alleys
- Outlive Outdead
- Rotworld
- Cryptworld (BTA)
- Unhallowed Metropolis (BTA)

That's the lot, so far.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Nightmare Alley Bundle of Holding now includes Abandon All Hope (no idea), The Book of Unremitting Horror (a Gumshoe/D20 supplement of horror monsters that I've heard really good things about), and Pandemonio (a revised and expanded mashup of Dread: The First Book of Pandemonium and Spite: The Second Book of Pandemonium - I had no idea this existed but I've heard good things about its antecedents.).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gasperkun posted:

I believe this is the first public release of Pandemonio, since I heard some folks not too long ago complaining that Dread and Spite had been taken down, and the author said he was revamping them before re-releasing. There's a precedent for never-before-released material now, since the Stars Without Number bundle included the first public release of a supplement for that game.

Also the previous bundle included a never before released reskin of Murderous Ghosts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I've heard really good things about Vornheim, and Zak Smith, while certainly...opinionated, has a lot of cool D&D ideas. That's the only bit I know anything about.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I played in a Champions game (a Marvel-flavored Minneapolis setting) for several months years ago and enjoyed it a great deal, but six hour combat sessions were not as uncommon as one might wish. It's super flexible and I think makes for really fun superhero building. I can't imagine dealing with it for other genres where IMHO that level of customization simply isn't necessary.

I'd imagine there are probably significantly better takes on the genre by now (I've yet to run Wild Talents, but that seems very promising to me, or perhaps a superhero flavor of Fate like Strange Fate) but I'm pretty sure I'd still pick it over Mutants and Masterminds, which has a lot of design decisions I find deeply flawed.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly I think, like GURPS, it actually works better as a fantasy system or the like, since a lot of the things that bog it down (high Speed, layered defenses, complicated power sets) are greatly reduced. If you limit the scope it becomes a lot more functional, though it's still more complex than it needs to be for most games.

But the thing is, you need that complexity (or at least, that scope and flexibility) for supers and for fantasy you really, really don't.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think you don't really need it for supers, it's just RPG tradition, set by games like Champions. There are plenty of simple superhero systems that work just fine. Having really detailed superhero stats strikes me as more of an aesthetic choice, for folks who want to know exactly how many tons their character could lift or exactly how many minds you can fry or whatever, and tweaking everything from their psychology to their salary. But it's not like comic superheroes were ever so tightly defined in the comics themselves, even when Mark Gruenwald & co. were trying to nail down the exact bench capacity of Rom the Space-Knight.

Well, I certainly think there are lighter games than Champions that capture superheroes well. But there's a much, much broader spectrum of character abilities and archetypes in a supers game than in traditional fantasy or even SF, and being able to customize that is, imho, key. Other settings, not so much. I don't know if Hero's worth dealing with at all (I won't be buying this Bundle of Holding, certainly), but if I were going to it'd be to play supers, because that's where its complexity pays off.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Unfortunately, as I suspected, bestselling = "things you've already bought", at least in my case. I don't have Adventures on Dungeon Planet or Nova Praxis, and I'd be in for those if they were in the base bundle, but beating $17 for slightly over $20 worth of product isn't really a compelling deal for me. I guess we'll see what else they add. If you -don't- have Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, and Durance already, though, it's a hell of a package.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The Macaluso isn't a bundle exclusive, it was added when Vincent Baker declared the end of limited-edition playbooks and added a PDF with them all in letter format and an index of every playbook move as an extra purchase on his site.

Plus supplementals, including the Marmot supplemental about clues and mysteries that I've never previously seen, the Space Marine Mammal's supplementals about walkingsuits and large scale battles, and a human-configuration walkingsuit. It's a pretty amazing resource and just costs a few bucks. I'm very happy with it. (And the basic refbook that's a free download, for that matter.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's not just three playsets for Fiasco, it's also rules for campaign play. Which seems like it would be tough to pull off, but I haven't read them yet.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Okay, I think that's enough vaguely interesting stuff I don't have already for me to buy in finally. I Kickstarted GSS and Magicians, which would otherwise be the most immediately interesting items.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Loki_XLII posted:

I'm debating whether to buy the Bundle of Holding at the last minute or not. I only discovered it around +4, so these first two reruns are all new to me.

I'm debating buying it for Monsterhearts and Penny for my Thoughts, both of which I've heard were good. However, they're not enough for a complete sell, especially since I think I'll have trouble getting my group to play Monsterhearts. How good is the other stuff? Especially Hollowpoint, which sounds rad as hell.

Hollowpoint is pretty drat rad. Honestly, from what I've seen all of them are, but if you're going to have trouble getting people to play Monsterhearts (and I think the best way to get people to play Monsterhearts is to show them how other people have played Monsterhearts so they're not just picturing Twilight), some of the others (particularly Kagematsu) might be tough sells also.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
They'll add at least a couple more things before the bundle expires, I almost guarantee. They always do. No idea what it'll be but I kind of hope one won't be the next year of KWAS, if only because I just picked it up a few days ago!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Verdugo posted:

It's monopoly, with Cthulhu references. I don't think it's worth $20.

It isn't really very much like Monopoly at all. It's got a few nods to Monopoly in the theming, but about all they have in common mechanically is that you roll to move and get a reward for passing a given space. It's a bit too random to really be great, but there's far more going on than in Monopoly, more viable approaches to winning, and some degree of mitigation to the randomness.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Eternal Lies is the one "proper" campaign for Trail of Cthulhu (well, there's a Cthulhu Apocalypse campaign of sorts, but that's a little outside the usual scope). Both Armitage Files and Bookhounds of London are essentially campaign toolkits that provide a framework and a bunch of building blocks to inspire your own scenario assembly, but Bookhounds only provides one fully assembled scenario and Armitage Files none. They're pretty cool and have a lot of interesting ideas in them, but if you're looking for something to run largely unaltered out of a book, they do not fit the bill.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Oh man. Please hit 40K. Eternal Lies looks awesome but the PDF version normally costs more than I paid for the entire bundle.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jodai posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is the bundle of holding level up price going to go up if they add new stuff? My group was talking about getting into Numenera and this is a good deal but I can't get it just yet so I'm wondering if waiting is gonna cost me.

It goes up, but not because they add new stuff. It's the average price people are paying for the bundle, which tends to climb as people need to pay more than the average to get the additional books.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
From what I've heard, the Great Pendragon Campaign is one of the best RPG campaigns ever written.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, it's like when they had the Fate Core stuff in the bundle a while back. Sure, it's pay-what-you-want, but it's still worth paying for.

With the difference that only the main Fate Core book is PWYW. The supplements and other bundled games have a pricetag.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The 4th Annual Wayne Foundation Charity Bundle has launched. $242 of RPG, comics, MP3s, and fiction for $20, and the proceeds go to help fight against the sexual exploration and trafficking of children.

I'm not seeing where the $242 comes from given that almost everything in the bundle is listed as having a regular price between free and $5, skewing towards the low end of the scale.

Edit: Actually, now that I look at a couple of affiliated items, maybe there's some bigger ticket items coming as part of the "remnants" listings? I guess that might explain that. It's...still not clear what they are, though. Maybe check back later.

Of what -is- listed, I can recommend the Don't Rest Your Head fiction collection, and have no idea about anything else on the list.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Swords & Sorcery wasn't the White Wolf version of 3E, it was their brand for OGL d20 content. And Scarred Lands is one of probably the top three D&D campaign settings for me, up there with Dark Sun and (2nd edition) Ravenloft. I think my favorite bit was that since the setting's "scarred" due to a relatively recent and brutal war between the titans and the gods they spawned (very Greek mythology, although the divinities themselves are different), clerics - even of the evil aligned deities - are societally acceptable. But druids? Druids are titan worshippers, and pretty much kill on sight crazies. (Though one titan did side with the gods, so her followers are a little more acceptable.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm really looking forward to them figuring out something where there are no expiring discounts involved and no manually "buying" each and every title in the bundle. But I do appreciate having it on DriveThru. More convenient for me, and I think slightly less likely to suddenly vanish someday (though the Bundle of Holding guys seem to be sufficiently successful at this point that that's not a huge worry for me.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
That doesn't necessarily imply that they're going to have that sort of easy, automatic linkage going forward, only that they're trying to do a one-off backfill for previous bundles. I mean, we can hope, but when they announced the DriveThru partnership I was expecting that and so far haven't gotten it. And nothing about that statement says anything about future bundles.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Alternately, just give money directly to the charities and get Part Time Gods instead, which is a much better godgame.

Or Nobilis, if you want to really jump in the deep end.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I've gamed with Rachel Kronick (author of Blade & Crown) locally and she strikes me as having a good design head and a strong sense of what she wants out of a game. I haven't tried Blade & Crown myself - the one time I played in a roleplaying session with her she was still using RISUS - but my stepfather is in an ongoing campaign with her and I think Blade & Crown is what's being used. He's certainly having fun.

I am not familiar with any of the others.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Alas, I already own almost all of them, thanks to Kickstarter.

Yup. Literally the only one I don't already have from Kickstarter is The Ministry Initiative. I blame these forums.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
New Bundle of Holding goes live in a sec:
Base: Lords of Gossamer and Shadow; Rocket Age; Uresia: Grave of Heaven
BTA: Nobilis 3E: The Essentials; Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine; Torchbearer

I dunno the base games at all, but Nobilis, Chuubo's and Torchbearer is a hell of a bundle right there. (I own all three, though, so I guess for me it'll be wait and see what else they add and maybe just do the base for once.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Which made me realize that I did actually want the basic tier of the Indie Cornucopia +2, it was the higher tier I already owned in its entirety, and I forgot to get in on that action. Whoops. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'd really recommend looking at other super systems, myself. Wild Talents, for example. I found M&M (3E, admittedly) confusing, arbitrarily limiting, and really frustrating overall. And although it didn't commit some of the D&Disms I'd half expected considering its roots in D20, I still felt like D20 is a bad fit for supers.

But I know a lot of people love it.