Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I've got a bunch of free games and other things I've picked up from various sites, including some that were a little obscure (at least the way I came across them) despite how well-known the authors are. I'll wait until you've added yours though.

You could link the current and previous TG contests and 1km1kt in the first post. Quality varies on 1km1kt but there are some decent games on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
There's also the Gamechef competition, as well as the 'free games' section of Bully Pulpit's downloads section.

Here's some of what I've picked up (I've barely played any of them, haven't fully read a lot of them either, I just have a habit of saving free games I see put up online that look interesting to me):
44: A Game of Automatic Fear – which is about a 50s-era robot conspiracy in the United States, the few who know about and oppose it and the people around them who're slowly being turned into machines.
Apocalypse: Emergence – an add-on for Apocalypse World for playing stories about the descendants of a group that locked themselves away during an apocalypse, who find themselves in a twisted post-apocalyptic world.
Cthulhu Dark – a very light game for Lovecraftian tales of horror. More in line with Lovecraft's actual stories than most other games that claim to present the Cthulhu Mythos. The characters follow a trail of clues leading to some kind of horrifying experience. Monsters can never be killed. There are two official add-ons: Cthulhu Dark Tales, which adds some extra rules, and Cthulhu Dark Depths, which adds a structure for the story. The author (Graham Walmsley) had a blog where he put up a slew of extra rules beyond those, but it seems to be down right now.
Geiger Counter – all about horror movies. You play characters who slowly discover that they're facing some kind of menace, and then slowly die until just one or two are left to overcome the menace and survive. The structure of the game is supposed to be cinematic, with a 'trailer' before the story begins, quick scenes with one player in each acting as the director who chooses the cast and sets the camera and so on.
GHOST/ECHO – a game for playing a stylish cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic scavenger crew trying to make their way out of a dangerous situation. Think the Matrix, but it could also be a modern-day heist or any situation with a bunch of highly-competent people in a dangerous place who've been screwed over (by chance, by supposed allies, by customers).
Ia: A game of dark worship (second file here) – a short, simple game about cultists trying to bring about the Awakening of dark Things that are not of this world.
In Dark Trees – for Lynchian horror/drama stories about people related to some kind of crime and their personal problems coming back to haunt them.
Left Coast – a game about sci-fi and fantasy writers living on the West coast of the US in the 60s and 70s, or more specifically about their attempts to balance their family and professional lives while reality seems to slowly come apart around them (at least, a previous draft had that element, I haven't read this one).
Metrofinal – this world has been dealt a mortal blow and now eight bodhisattvas and saints are searching for the ones who will make the next world. Their quest is imagined as a busy day on the Transantiago metro, going from one station to the next as the world gradually unravels into the surreal.
Metropole Luxury Coffin – you play as the down-and-out semi-permanent inhabitants of a cramped coffin hotel, who band together with others to form tribes based on passing fashions as you scrounge together enough money to get you and your friends out of there (or make it a proper home).
Otherkind – a fantasy game about creatures reacting to the spread of industry and weaponry among humans. I think the dice system was the basis for Psy*Run and GHOST/ECHO, and later Apocalypse World.
Schizonauts – a kind of espionage/psychological thriller game about government agents undergoing memory drug treatments to assume the minds of the key suspects in the theft of the keys to the supercomputer that keeps the economy going. It's basically a game about creating characters, by Fred Hicks.
Silence Keeps Me A Victim – an exploration of child abuse through the dreams of an abused child. There's a pretty interesting discussion here on the Walking Eye podcast about the game.
The Scenario and The Wanderer – two different games, one a kind of swords-and-sorcery game and the other for playing out a movie of one continuous shot.
Until We Sink – a slightly surreal game where you play the last people on a Pacific resort island that's slowly sinking into the ocean, who've just found one of the guests dead at the bottom of a cliff. The game's played out through the evening conversations the characters have on the deck of the resort's hotel as they discuss the events of the day (and previous days) until the island sinks.
Viewscream – a game designed for play over the internet by live video transmission. The default setting has the players be the surviving crew of a spaceship, trying to escape with their lives and also keep their dark secrets hidden. There are a couple of versions floating around and I'm not sure which is the latest.
Wild Strawberries – a game about a miserable, lonely person on a semi-dreamlike journey to (possibly) reconnect with society.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 21, 2013