Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

So apparently there's now a "Humble Indie Bundle" for tabletop RPGs: Tabletop Drop.

It's a "pay anything for this bundle of games" deal, but it's not set up like the Humble Bundle where they tell you the average donation is, or how much has been raised.

Also one of the games is "TIER: The Enhanced Roleplaying Game", which came up in g.txt a while back because it's an attempt at classless d20 by a guy who's apparently never played any games outside 3.x and 4e. So there's that.

I have heard good things about Spears of the Dawn, though.
Good cause, and I'm interested in Spears of the Dawn. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

Also worth mentioning is ... which has the entirety of the old TSR Marvel FASERIP rpg and as far as I can tell isn't illegal(since said site has been up and public for about a decade at this without getting sued by Marvel or Disney
Holy crap does this bring back memories. My brother, friends, and I played the hell out of MSH back when we were kids. I didn't know all that much about comics, weirdly enough, but I just loved the whole Marvel universe. The system was pretty fun, too. I remember trying to run my fellow kids through Cosmos Cubed... It was kind of a disaster? The other adventures, like with Kang and Doctor Doom, went very well though.

...now I need to find a way to tell my group, "Hey guys, want to play a 1980's Marvel Super Heroes game?"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

Added all those to the list in the OP. Thanks for the heads up! If you've ever played FASERIP, and can describe it better than I have, I'd be happy to add that as well.
Also, no joke, those Gamers' Handbooks to the Marvel Universe are about the closest thing to a real encyclopedia of Marvel characters ... circa 1990, mind ... that you'll ever find.

...at least from what I've found. I'm out of touch, though, so grain of salt and all that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

I hope this bundle gets a bunch of upgrades, because so far I am .... Underwhelmed.
Ditto. Not including a core game is a bummer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, I remember that magical medieval society got some great press, too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, the only things I want out of that are things I already have. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy crap, guys.

quote:

Lulu

40% off LULUEMP2013 code expires on 31 December

After you enter that code, next enter the code FREESHIP to also get free shipping

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Loki_XLII posted:

I ordered one out of morbid curiosity. I haven't looked at it yet.

I just have, too. I have 2nd edition. I would love to see this, unironically.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Randalor posted:

I actually tried emailing McCracken last night when I got home from work. And today, I got an e-mail back with the Book of Fate, Ultimate Adventures Guide 1, Atlas and battle sheet and character sheet. I'm... genuinely surprised at that. If nothing else, it should be good for a laugh, if the Fatal and Friends thread is to go by.

I got mine, too. I will dig into them in short order.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zereth posted:

Prepare for confusion. :psyduck:
Oh god you are right. I can't understand the "simple" rules :catstare:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So it's awfully nice that Paranoia is the Bundle of Holding this week, but ...

Well, Paranoia is awesome, so the rules and basics are good to have. And adventures are always nice, too.

But campaign sourcebooks just seem like a waste. Has anyone run a Paranoia campaign where such a thing would be at all helpful? Because all I really use it for are (hilarious, awesome, fun, unforgettable) one-shots.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Also, no joke, the adventure in Paranoia XP (Mr. Bubbles) is probably my favorite ever.
And yeah, I know there's rules for campaign play in Paranoia. I was just wondering if anyone actually did it. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

If you're a 3.5 enthusiast, you can do a lot worse (a LOT worse) than Monte's Ptolus.

Also, the included Banewarrens is a goddamn awesome adventure. It's a killer, but it's good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

I thought Banewarrens was a separate standalone adventure that was Monte's love letter to big underground Drow fungus cities like D3 Vault Of The Drow? It isn't part of either Bundle, as far as I can tell.
I think it's actually part of the Ptolus book. Or it was anyway... Maybe I'm wrong, and that's just how it was sold with the cd? Well... I expect it as a stretch thingy, then, I guess.

(Not a drow to be found, though. :))

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 10, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

frankenfreak posted:

It's definitely included in the basic bundle.
Oh good!

I'm really not a fan of Monte Cook's mechanics, but he does settings as well as anyone in the business.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

The full Paranoia bundle is totally worth it even if you're just a passing fan of the game.
Yes, this. The 2004 version - XP - is quite well-made, and doesn't have any loving cards with terrible art.

It also has a shitload of support, including tons of converted adventures, and IMO the very best Paranoia adventure of all time right in the book itself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

I just tried to buy the Paranoia bundle and this happened:

:fuckoff:

e: Oh! The right thing was in my cabinet afterall, it's just bad web design.

You lucked out.

It told me I bought Numenera.

And then the email went to my spam folder

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

That's the one with batshit character sheet? Sold.
Ditto. I'll get a weird, pretty rpg for $15 any day.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If you really are set on spending money for cool rpg art, go with Eoris for $15 in hardcover.

Mine arrived today and it's both breathtaking and insane.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agrias120 posted:

Is Feng Shui 2 good? It looks ridiculous and might be the curveball my group needs.
It's really good.

Be sure you have a nice shot counter for use during the game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Darker Dungeons has ascending AC/BAB among other things, so definitely use that one.
Dark Dungeons changes to Target 20 + BAB, though, which is just about as good, plus you don't need to convert old adventures or supplements. It's kind of a retro-clone best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.

Darker changes Monks (mystics) into werewolves, and swaps the class features of (human) magic users and Elves, so those are YMMV.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 23, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

This week's Bundle (well, two bundles) is Mutants & Masterminds 3e. One is the core books, the other is a collection of power and setting expansions.

I haven't really touched M&M since the original version in my d20 days, so I don't know how much has changed with this new edition. I do know it's still (technically) OGL-based.
It seems okay as long as you're looking for what it's giving you (that is, an almost-gurps-like system designed specifically for supers, with a some d20 cruft).

I got it during their big giveaway a year or so back, and the crunch level is significantly higher than I'm looking for, right now. The feats, in particular, bothered me - they're classic d20-style feats, with smallish effects that some characters get a ton of and which you need to look up in the book.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mike12345 posted:

Is that good?
Designers & Dragons is fantastic. Basically a must-read if you are interested in the history of the hobby.

The first volume is probably the most interesting, IMO, because that's where it all started, but the whole series is great.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm on a listserv for Powers & Perils. It was kind of surreal when they discovered my Fatal & Friends review of the game.

They're pretty ancient group communication technology, so you'll see them for groggy^H^H^H^H^Holdschool games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I still have paper copies of the full runs of the AD&D comics, the Forgotten Realms comics, and the short-lived Spelljammer comics. All bought new, back when they were released.

I was sure they'd be valuable someday. I was ... wrong.

And yeah, they are simple, enjoyable fluff. Very uneven, but that's to be expected. I enjoyed revisiting them a few years back.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Foglet posted:

And the current Bundle of Holding has Shadow of the Demon Lord in it!
I'm in, with the Bonus Tier!

e: Sorry, 13th Age. I might check back on you later.

I've been interested in this one for a while now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy gently caress how are there 120+ supplements for this game.

Also, they normally add titles to sweeten the deal, no?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is there a Shadow of the Demon Lord thread here?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

If no one else beats me to it, I'll do it.
Please. I'm too much of a SotDL noob even for this dead comedy forum.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Humble Bundle is doing a Dr. Who RPG bundle. $15 gets you all the sourcebooks.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-rpg-books
I love Doctor Who but how's the game?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh dude Esoterrorists is also on the Bundle. That was recommended several times for me in another thread. Sweet!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

inklesspen posted:

What's wrong with Night Witches?

(I actually backed it on KS and then never got around to reading it, due to the elfgame version of the Steam problem.)
I have heard (from people who were game for the concept) that it doesn't actually work very well in-play, but I can't remember the details.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have a lot of those in hardcover, but yeah, $20 just for the stuff I don't have is a steal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Drone posted:

Bunch of OSR stuff on the newest Bundle of Holding.

$12.95 Tier:
The Nightmares Underneath
Mortzengersturm
Gathox Vertical Slum
Red Tide

Bonus Tier:
Index Card RPG
Dragon Kings
An Echo, Resounding
2016 Dodecahedron Cartographic Review

The only thing on this list I've heard of that immediately pops out to me is Red Tide, which is $8 on its own on DriveThru. Any insight on the rest? How is Dragon Kings as a "spiritual successor" to Dark Sun (which owns)?
I kickstarted Dragon Kings, and the layout is aggressively bad. I can't even speak to the content because it made my eyes hurt. The map is real bad, too.

Serf posted:

what i really need to know is if i can pick this bundle up without giving any money to nazis
At least one bundle site has sliders where you can determine where your money goes - how much to creators, charity, and a 'tip' to the site. I don't know if this is that one or not. You can set it to $0 to the creators.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
C7 is losing their Call of Cthulhu license, so they're liquidating their stock and having a big sale.

https://www.facebook.com/Cubicle7Entertainment/posts/1434812006587561

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/

quote:

• On January 1st 2018 we will take all of our current, licensed Call of Cthulhu products off sale permanently. They will not be sold by Cubicle 7 after that date.
• Before 1st January we’re reducing the price on almost all of our Call of Cthulhu licensed game titles. These are: World War Cthulhu: Cold War, World War Cthulhu: The Darkest Hour, The Laundry, and Cthulhu Britannica.
• You may still see some of these fine games in your local game store for a month or two, but there will be no restocks available. As they sell out they will not be replenished.
• These games will not be reprinted or republished by Cubicle 7 in their current form using the Call of Cthulhu rules.
• Currently, our plan is to reboot these lines with a new system or systems. It is a little too early in that process to confirm any more details with regard to the potential for backwards compatibility. We're exploring a lot of exciting options right now, and we will keep you posted on our website, newsletter and social media.
• Because some of these titles are newly released, and pre-orders have been only open a short time, we will not be discounting those titles out of respect for our customers who pre-ordered or Kickstarted those titles. A huge thank you to those customers – we really appreciate your support.
We hope you have enjoyed our Call of Cthulhu settings and supplements. We certainly had a great time working on them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
XP is solid. It has some great adventure support and the rules - while crunchier than I'd ideally prefer - are workable. (It's less crunchy than 2e at least.)

Also a ton of the best classic adventures got converted for it. Also also, the in-book adventure is fantastic.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Razorwired posted:

Bundle of Holding brought back the Shadow of the Demon Lord Pack:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/2018DemonLord
This was a Very Good Deal. It was how I got into the game in the first place.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Mayday Games is having a moving sale, so it's -40% on all their sleeves, discounts on tons of their games, etc.

https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/hot-deals

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Toshimo posted:

Nice. 4100 sleeves.
That's a lot of loving sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord