Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Spincut posted:

Does anyone who has picked up the Bundle of Holding know if you can actually run Trails of Cthulhu using just the Player's Guide? Is there something fundamentally missing that you wouldn't be able to run the game? Someone asked them about adding the full book to the latest bundle, and they commented saying it would be "too confusing for people" to have the regular book and the Player's Guide. :what:

I didn't even know there was a Player's Guide for ToC before this bundle.

The Player's Guide is literally just the player's half of the core book. It has all the GUMSHOE rules and everything, but you'd have to come up with your own Mythos critters and such. If you're good with that you can totally run the game off of the PG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
New bundle of holding is live! It's the RuneQuest 6th Edition core and Book of Quests, with Monster Island, the Monster Island Companion, and an adventure called Hessarret's Treasure if you beat the average.

Help me out here goons, is this cool? I'm not super familiar with RQ.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

The e-mail alert about this bundle also said they would be adding more books over the weekend and Monday (and that anybody who bought the bundle the first time around would get the new books too), but so far I haven't seen any new titles added.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Spincut posted:

I don't know anything about any of these! Thoughts?

Jaws of the Six Serpents and Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies are both cool if you like PDQ system games--J6S is probably my favorite implementation of the system. Oriongates is reviewing all the PDQ games over in FATAL & Friends--S7S isn't ip yet, but here's the J6S review. Jaws is pulp sword & sorcery, S7S is musketeers and pirates in a world of floating islands in a magic sky.

HELLAS is a space opera take on Greek mythology, with planets instead of city-states and hyperspace as the Aegean. It's pretty cool setting if you're down for "GREEKS... IN... SPAAAAAAAAAACE!" but man oh man, the Omni system. Get the game for the setting, then run it in Fate or Marvel Heroic or something would be my recommendation.

The other three I don't know at all, though I'm pretty sure I own Honor & Intrigue. Just never read it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

If anybody's still on the fence about the Deadlands bundle, they've been adding roughly a bonus book a day to the deal. Now it includes Hucksters & Hexes (magic sourcebook), Ghost Dance (shamanism sourcebook) and Law Dogs (law officer sourcebook for sheriffs and whatnot).

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

They added Law Dogs yesterday and skipped today, those stinkers. It is still a good deal. Also, I recommend checking out this cool article about the art of Deadlands.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd be adding another one later today, but nothing yet. My guess would be that if they add any more bonus books, the next one will be Lone Stars, the Texas Rangers sourcebook. If memory serves, it's the last of the "character option" sourcebooks.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

DriveThruRPG's annual Halloween "find the pumpkins" scavenger hunt is back. I've found five so far, including Pendragon 1st Edition and Better Angels.

EDIT: Getting the free Pendragon 1st Edition also gets you a link to buy the latest edition (5.1) PDF for 50% off.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 26, 2015

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Covok posted:

Wish I noticed that before I beat the average for Beyond the Wall. Welp.

Does BoH still add in more games as the bundle goes on?

Not every bundle, but it's a thing that still happens sometimes.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Drivethru RPG has a new charity bundle for Stacy Dellorfano, the founder of ConTessa, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer:

Help Stacy Kick Cancer's rear end posted:

Cancer sucks. It really does. Let me tell you the story of how all this happened...

Our family has had a hell of a year. We lost a family member to cancer, a cat to old age, and I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I found a lump in the early spring, went to my doctor who said they felt like cysts, not cancer, had a mammogram, came back for a diagnostic mammogram and a breast ultrasound, and then got the really really really bad news that what they saw didn’t look good.

That was right before Gen Con, where I was set not only to host the ENnies (a great honor) but to also take ConTessa to a whole new level with three times the amount of events and our own space in the convention. The biopsy happened days before we flew to Indianapolis, but I wouldn’t get the diagnosis until after we landed back home again by my request.

I had a wonderful time at Gen Con. I got to do many things, had many emotional conversations, learned I have a really killer group of volunteers to support us, and I just did my best to live Gen Con 50 to the fullest. I’ve been for the past four years in a row, and this was solidly the most fantastic Gen Con I’ve ever gone to...

...but then reality crash landed around us at the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana shortly after landing. My doctor stayed late at her office so she could get us the information where we could both get it at the same time (my husband is a teacher and started work the next day). Not only was there a tumor, it was pretty sizable, and has metastasized to the nearest lymph nodes under my left arm.

Now, I have insurance through my husband. Most of my expenses are going to be taken care of, at least the big ones... but cancer isn’t cheap. All of the labs, tests, copays, and the unpaid time my husband has to take off to get me to appointments and help out pile up and pile up quickly.

I’m at the very beginning of my treatment, and already I’ve been hospitalized for a few days for a bout of colitis and severe dehydration after the first chemo infusion.

The plan is to shrink down the tumors using chemo before handling surgery. I’ll be largely out of commission for the next 4-6 months while I undergo recovery. I’ve got some great people helming ConTessa in my absence, and I have a freelance project to work on when I’m feeling well enough to do so, but the ride is going to be expensive and difficult, and I could use all the extra assistance possible. - Stacy Dellorfano

It's $20, and looks like it's mostly 5e and Pathfinder adventures and micro-supplements, but there are a few interesting-looking exceptions, including High Valor (narrative, Trait-based early medieval/dark fantasy) and Gingerbread Kaiju (a very silly board game about giant monsters who happen to be made out of baked goods), an intro adventure for a game called Claustrophobia! (Garden Gnomes reenact The Core), and a couple of Medusa's Guide for Gamer Girls essay collections.

I don't have any experience with any of those, but they look interesting and seem to have decent reviews, and if you're looking for a huge grab bag of 5e/Pathfinder stuff this definitely has that. Also, you can help someone defray the costs of the horribly broken US medical system.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Sigil Stone Publishing has a bundle sale on for their tenth anniversary: ten games in PDF for :10bux:. I'm not super-familiar with them, but I have and have skimmed through Vagabonds of Dyfed at least, and it looks pretty interesting. And a quick skim of the creator's Twitter feed doesn't throw any "raging rear end in a top hat" red flags that I can see. Games in the bundle include:
  • Belly of the Beast: Dungeon crawling through the guts of the giant monster that ate your homeland.
  • Hunt the Wicked: Space-opera bounty hunting.
  • Vow of Honor: You are an honor-bound warrior-judge protecting the innocent and punishing the wicked in a world ruled by corruption and injustice.
  • Cornerstone Fantasy: A high-fantasy supplement for Sigil Stone's generic Cornerstone system (which is itself a free download).
  • Clink: A coin-based game about shady drifters living a dangerous, nomadic life--could be ronin, spaghetti western, or something like Supernatural.
  • Perseverant: A single-session storygame about a group of people trying to survive a hostile wilderness--and each other.
  • Vagabonds of Dyfed: An old-school style dungeon crawl, with mechanics loosely based on a cut down version of Powered by the Apocalypse, with some Blades in the Dark and other good games in its DNA. Also these supplements for it:
    • Vagabond's Cyclopedia: More character options!
    • Dortoka: City on the Sea of Glass: A weird city-building toolkit and adventure guide, inspired by Dark Sun and Doskvol.
    • Stjernheim: The Siege of Deepknell Hold: A Nordic fantasy setting/adventure.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 11, 2019

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Serf posted:

vagabonds of dyfed looks interesting at first glance, but its like city of mist in that it takes elements of other, good, systems, and makes something bad. i will vouch for dortoka, though, that book is fantastic. for $10 that ain't bad

Hell, Dortoka is normally $10 on its own, consider this 9 free games to go along with it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

And this week's Bundle is Cthulhu Confidential, the Gumshoe One-2-One (1-player, 1 GM) take on Trail of Cthulhu. I'm not super familiar with it, beyond the fact that it has some seriously talented folks writing for it (including Chris Spivey of Harlem Unbound).

The bonus collection, though, includes Solo Ops, the One-2-One version of the "What if Jason Bourne fought Dracula?" Night's Black Agents, which is loving fantastic. I'm seriously thinking about starting a F&F of it this week, but spoiler alert: this bundle is worth it for Solo Ops alone. The fact that you also get Cthulhu Confidential and a bunch of adventures for what amounts to $3 is icing on the cake.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Cassa posted:

I always get to those deals when they're $30 :(

In this case I'm pretty sure it started at $26.50 or so, so you didn't come in too late.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Oh, speaking of awesome games, Rose Bailey's Cavaliers of Mars is 50% off on DTRPG's Deal of the Day for the next hour and 45 minutes. I'm biased because I did some work on it, but if you like your Planetary Romance with a heaping helping of Fritz Leiber-esque weird fiction, Jack Vance-ian decadence at the end of civilazation, and swashbuckling adventure in the vein of Capitan Alatriste or The Three Musketeers, snag it while you can!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

DTRPG just put up three big bundles for COVID-19 related charities: Doctors Without Borders, World Food Programme, and No Kid Hungry.

As with most of these mega-bundles, it's a lot of 3rd party 5E, 3.5/PF, and OSR stuff, and a lot of it looks like shovelware, but there are at least a few titles that look interesting to me in each bundle, so it might be worth taking a look--they're only $20, and they support charity. The World Food Programme bundle includes both Spire and The Witcher, but you'll also have to live with the knowledge that this lives forever in your library: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/172432/Fantasy-Women-Clipart-Volume-20

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Time for DriveThruRPG's annual Halloween sale/trick or treat game. So far I've found the following:
That's all I was able to find so far. I haven't checked DriveThru Cards, Comics, Fiction, etc. but they might have more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

It's not exactly free, and the sale is kind of buried on DTRPG, but Rose Bailey's creator-owned Cavaliers of Mars, published by Onyx Path, is currently 90% off everything. It's not a huge line--the corebook, a couple of adventures, a mini-supplement on one of the major cities, and play aids like a GM screen and ability cards--but you can snag it all for less than :fivecbux:.

If you like Dying Earth, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and Barsoom with about 50% more weird fiction and 100% less Confederate apologia, you should check it out. (Also, do note that Esoterica of Mars is just City of Towered Tombs and Witch Queen of the Shadowed Citadel merged into a single product, so don't bother buying all three.)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4261/Onyx-Path-Publishing/subcategory/8329_31332/Cavaliers-of-Mars

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 16, 2022