Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Saw this come up a few days ago and hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread.

The Void Core is PWYW (which can be free if you want) in PDF format (but the supplements already released for it are a $5 apiece). This is the new taken on Cthonian Stars, a horror sci-fi setting/game that was released a while back. I don't know if I have it accurately, but I think the system is influenced by or based on Traveler. You can get the POD version at a price also, the link to be found in the product page, or here. This game is Creative Commons, for those who are about that kinda thing, which means you can modify/add on to it subject to the license. Basically, they seem to be following the Eclipse Phase model, at least for this first core release.

There is also a Quick Start available if you want a shorter, more basic document to check out. The PDF for that is free and the POD has a price attached. Finally, The Void Opening Fiction is PWYW also, if you wanna check that out for a sense of the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The Bundle of Fate is live!

Includes:
  • Ehdrigohr
  • Spirit of the Century
  • Full Moon

And if you beat the average, you also get:
  • Starblazer Adventures
  • Legends of Anglerre
  • Kerberos Club Fate Edition

For convenience's sake, Fate Core and Fate Accelerated are also included as part of the package.

Early next week additional games will be added.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The Bundle of Unknown Armies got extended in duration by a day or so. If you missed out you still have a chance!

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Rotworld, from what I heard, is a zombie survival game. It's done by Goblinoid Games, which does a lot of OSR type stuff since they did Labyrinth Lord. Apparently it uses the same system that Chill (a system I've heard of but never seen) uses. Cryptworld is the successor to Chill by them, since they apparently have the rights for the Pacesetter system - they did a small but successful Kickstarter for a new game using the system: Majus (magic/noir mash-up).

I haven't seen In Dark Alleys but I have a copy of Seeker, which is by the same people. I haven't looked at it recently but the system wasn't terribly exciting to me. What was more interesting was the ideas around it. They also did another game with the same system, called Voodoo Blues, which sounded interesting. They seem to do a lot of stuff in the dark urban fantasy vein (Conceptually, it feels like there is some WoD influence in at least some of what I've seen by them).

The other stuff I haven't heard much about. I think Unhallowed Metroplis is zombie survival in a steampunk/Gothic Victorian type setting, but I don't know much more.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I believe this is the first public release of Pandemonio, since I heard some folks not too long ago complaining that Dread and Spite had been taken down, and the author said he was revamping them before re-releasing. There's a precedent for never-before-released material now, since the Stars Without Number bundle included the first public release of a supplement for that game.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

malkav11 posted:

Also the previous bundle included a never before released reskin of Murderous Ghosts.

Wasn't aware that one was also new. Well, there you go. Looks like as time goes on we might get to see more never seen before stuff in the bundles.

Also, next week, if my email was right, we are going to get a Call of Cthulhu bundle. I believe the current one ends on Saturday.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Ditto. Not including a core game is a bummer.

It does include a core game, just not ToC or CoC. Dark Streets comes with the Renaissance core book and Dark Skies is its own game (unfortunately these are both beat-the-average games and not part of the core deal). I definitely agree that the rest of it is kind of meh because it's largely supplements, but I ended up going with it because Cthulhu gaming material is actually a big hole in my library. I am hoping for some good updates.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Here's some news courtesy of the G+ threads for Bundle of Holding:

They hope to have an improvement to allow for your Wizard's Cabinet to link to all bundles you have purchased, thus not requiring a separate Wizard's Cabinet for each. Also, they hope around holiday time (I assume this means Christmas but maybe Thanksgiving is what they are shooting for) they hope to make it possible to gift bundles to other people.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I don't think it's exactly the same place. I started going through on some of the alternate sites and didn't find everything in exactly the same spot. Of course, keeping track of every single location might have gotten me confused at some point so I might have messed up... I will probably go back and finish up the site I stopped on and then look at the others to see.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
If it had Trail of Cthulhu or Call of Cthulhu, full books in it, that would've made it better... it does have a few core books for games in it but they are not what you would think of when someone mentions Cthulhu. It's either CoC or ToC, depending on how you view it, and other stuff fits but it is probably an outgrowth of it or something else but not as widely-known.

Even though it has ToC in it, it's not the entire book. I am curious why that happened, considering how much Ken Hite and Pelgrane stuff has gone through recently... course, that could also explain why they pulled out at the last second. There's still some time left, though, so maybe a surprise is in store.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I actually found Ravenloft like 3 times or so. I think it comes up under the search function so it is easy to find it multiple times.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I would guess Trail is doing very well for Pelgrane, but with 13th Age selling rather well (no specific numbers but I hear this kind of talk frequently) and probably Hillfolk doing well also when it reaches wider circulation, I don't know if it is the TOP top. Before recently, it just might have been, but I expect it has competition now.

I had heard, whether here or elsewhere, that Pelgrane has a 2nd edition of Trail out some time soon, which makes it even curioser, because you would think they might want to get cheap copies of the game out to folks who didn't have it already... hoping that they would jump on the "new and improved" edition at a higher cost in a few months... but who knows, really. I could see an argument being made that releasing the whole thing in this kind of bundle might hurt sales of another edition later, because people will have what they need and think, "Why should I buy something that hasn't changed much, probably? Especially when I got the initial version dirt cheap?"

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Bundle of Tentacles got extended to last until Monday, Nov. 4th. I know plenty of folks are not entirely happy with the lineup on this one, but there it is.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Libertad! posted:

I agree with you about Red Tide. His Spears of the Dawn RPG was pretty neat as well.

I have seen Red Tide before and it is pretty spiffy. Spears of the Dawn is the bomb diggity out of stuff he has written, from what I remember. But I might feel differently if I were more science fiction-oriented than fantasy.

Considering the fact that some people are becoming repeat features on the Bundle, I think it's possible we might get some Sine Nomine products.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
So my Bundle of Holding updates suggest that the OSR Bundle was much more successful than they expected, which means that more OSR-themed bundles are likely to hit in the future. Also, tomorrow (I think) begins Bundle of HERO system.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I'm such a sucker. I let myself get sold on this by buzz from people talking about it, even though I'm probably going to use it as a reference more than anything else. My one experience playing HERO system was not terribly positive, for various reasons, and my last few supers games that went better were on the much lighter end of things (BASH and then more recently Fate Accelerated). Even so, I keep hearing that HERO is a well-designed system, if you can get through the complexity. I guess I hope to learn something from it.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
In theory, it sounds intriguing, but I don't think I could get it to work with my group. Also, I have bought damned near every bundle for the past couple months or so and I need a break from forking out that kind of cash!

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Latest Bundle of Holding is up. It's about worldbuilding/design.

There seems to be a vague OSR undercurrent to it, but I don't know if that's intentional or not. I guess we'll see as stuff gets added. With the current number of books, I expect there will be some additions, if history is any indicator.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
That looks like the same Libertad who joined up here recently. Maybe we will get some more comments on the review.

Anyway, all this goes to show you, as with some of the previous bundles, is that there is a bit of a mixed bag at times. You can't get full-on winners for everyone every time.

I think Red Tide is a good source here, especially if you are familiar with Kevin Crawford's work elsewhere (such as Stars Without Number, which I think was released after this one) because he provides tools for sandboxing which, if comments on fora are worth anything, have been helpful to a lot of people who didn't really know how to do those kinds of things. I believe his stuff is often cited as good source material regardless what system you're playing, because it helps you to procedurally generate material to use in your setting without too much prep time required. You just have to find a set of those tools fitted to your preferred genre, as he tweaks the tools each time for genre emulation and such.

I expect most of the other stuff is good but I am not too familiar.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The current Bundle of Holding added Becoming to its roster. This is the one by Brian Engard, who is behind a lot of Fate books and such, and it was Kickstarted earlier this year.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
According to what I have been reading lately, The Prince's Kingdom is a hack of Dogs In the Vineyard. To paraphrase Jason Morningstar from G+ today, it is a setting hack as well as an ethical hack. It's also by Clinton Nixon, who did Owl Hoot Trail and The Shadow of Yesterday and stuff like that.

Apparently this is the first time it's been offered in PDF format.

School Daze I am not familiar with, but I am familiar with its designer, Tracy Barnett. I believe it was his first Kickstarter, and he has produced some others since then and has another on the way in January for his Iron Edda project. Good people, and I've been interested in most stuff he's done, including One Shot, which is sort of like the basic plot of The Crow without necessarily including the supernatural stuff.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 12, 2013

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The current Bundle of Holding got extended again. Apparently Wil Wheaton mentioned it once and it got a bunch of sales, and then he mentioned it again, and it got more sales so the folks running it decided to extend it once more (Also a little thing called Boing Boing mentioned it).

The next Bundle is said to be Asian and/or Asian-themed RPGs, due some time after Monday of next week.

Here's a list of what's currently on sale at DTRPG. I noticed a promotion for The One Ring due to the Hobbit film coming out, but I haven't noticed a sale, as such.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
13th Age in PDF is 20% off right now on DriveThruRPG.

The Asian-themed Bundle of Holding is also due for release later today, now that the Family Friendly bundle is closed.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The average seems to be going up quickly. Not sure whether I want to go in this close to the holidays, since I already own half these games, but maybe they will add something to push it over the top for me before the average gets too high.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

Isn't the translator for Maid a goon?

I do believe he is on here but I can't recall what he goes by here. Probably could be remedied by checking the JRPG thread.

Speaking of which, this looks like a good opportunity for Tenra Bansho Zero to be included if Andy K has been working on that... but that would be yet another game in the bundle I already have.

Edit: He goes by his real name here, Ewen Cluney.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Monkey got added to the Bundle. I hadn't heard of the game before, but apparently it is a story game about the Monkey King from Journey to the West, the Chinese epic.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Currently on Lulu there is a sale on products by VSCA Publishing, the makers of such fine games as Hollowpoint and Diaspora. This is set to run until the purveyor remembers to turn off the sale, so check in!

OneBookShelf has the GM's Day Sale running. You can check out this link on DTRPG for a listing of products on sale. Get yourself some Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, Demolished Ones for Fate, or Pathfinder stuff from Rite Publishing. Buy some stuff from Sine Nomine and help support a small publisher who makes OSR games that break some new ground in that field. Buy Wold of Darkness stuff from White Wolf/Onyx Path. Buy from them or from some other worthy seller.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Drone posted:

Anyone have a review or trip report on the current Humble Bundle for Campaign Cartography 3+? It looks neat but none of the groups I've ever played in have used it, wondering if it's worth it.

I snagged this one at the last minute because I have missed it any other time I've seen it up and judging by the website for the software getting it on Humble is the best deal I have seen. That being said, I will probably have to go through the YouTube tutorial videos to figure it out since I think it's a pretty involved program. As such, I can't report experiences with it or review it yet. Hopefully it will be not too difficult to learn since I have pretensions of both RPGs and writing, and it's supposed to be useful in both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Am I missing something? It says it's up for 25 more days.

When I bought it the offer was about to end. It was already extended from Cyber Monday week. It looks like after the extension ran out, they extended it again. So at the time of purchase it was just in time.