Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

thefakenews posted:

So, the whole Degenesis game line is now free in PDF from the game’s website. On reading, the game is nothing special mechanically, but the art and layout is spectacular (and very NSFW). I understand the adventures are very railroady, and more like short stories than adventure modules.

Really interesting. I'll have to dig into it more in my off-time but you can see the various mechanical/thematic influences, for better and for worse, with a LOT of White Wolf bleeding into this one. I'll have to give it a closer read later to see what people are even supposed to DO in this Apocalypse; it's a really weird mish-mash of cultural artifacts like you see in You Know Who (Here are the Knights Hospitalier! Here are the... Anubians! Here are the Not-Jews!) but it IS incredibly interesting on the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

mango sentinel posted:

Hey you wanna explain why all the books have a fancy swastika and stormtrooper gasmasks? I am... suspect.

Theoretically it's a nod to the edition and a stylized sun cross. I agree it's not a good look, but I didn't immediately think neo-nazis when I looked up Six More Vodka, the design group behind the game.

Also, this text is in the core book, so make of it what you will:

"Degenesis advocates tolerance and international understanding. The game world of Degenesis has evolved from ours and distorts it into an imaginary future. Conflicts within the game world are, of course, not real – and we do not wish for them to be, either. They only exist for excitement’s sake. Although we know this kind of conflict from films, we urge you to use them with caution. None of the seven Cultures mentioned in Degenesis is better than any of the others. All of those Cultures have an equal right to exist in the game world of Degenesis.

We have actively avoided the term “race” common to RPGs as we deem it discriminatory.

We strictly oppose violence and racism. Illustrations of combat action are not meant to promote violence, but to depict a cruel world we should strive to overcome. Culture and civilization are the major goals in Degenesis, accompanied by hope. We still recommend Degenesis for people 16+ as we cannot be sure whether our message and our appeal to humanity will be understood."

I don't get neo-nazi from this. That doesn't mean it doesn't have plenty of problematic material (much like WW before it, as I noted earlier) and some pretty skeevy "adult" illustrations. I'm going to wait until I have more time to read through it to make up my mind but I agree it's... confusing.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
That said, not generally loving what I've seen in terms of female representation in the world in the slices I've looked at. Like hard-bad. Given that the two female "icon" profiles they provide in sample fic on their website are someone who stays in a physically abusive relationship and a woman who goes after the father of her child because he must have done something to plant a mutant in her womb... Yeah, not great.

https://degenesis.com/world/universe

You can look and decide for yourself, but this isn't one I'd recommend to my friends without serious reservations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

grassy gnoll posted:

Degenesis is plenty hosed up and wrong without resorting to Nazism.

This said, I'd love it if someone decided they wanted to FATAL this sucker.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

mango sentinel posted:

While googling about this game, I found out JcDent is currently in the process of a massive one.

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/jcdent/degenesis-rebirth/

I may have written him thanking for that work a few hours ago. Enjoying working through it during breaks writing this here motion.

"Primordial and highly adapted?" nearly made me snort water out my nose. :)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, a post over at the OSR thread is having me grab Esoteric Enterprises but are there any other stand-out indie games (or larger publisher games for that matter) that folks see in the Christmas in July sale over at DrivethruRPG?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The FRAGGED games are on Bundle of Holding right now. Anyone have any opinions on Empire, Kingdom, Aeternum? Reviews seem... sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

fr0id posted:

4E D&D design philosophy of tactical combat but most of the weapons and powers are DIY or low flavor and require a lot of player buy-in to mechanics and flavoring to work. Slick game with a rules book that works amazingly for reference and not so great for teaching. Great game for tactical combat with real choices. Needs a lot of buy in from players and GM for mechanics.

4E D&D design philosophy sounds great -- does it resolve faster in play? I LOVED 4E but also felt like it was a bit frustrating to have a single combat take hours potentially. I'd be totally down for a game that was just as rich in options, but somewhat faster/less granular turn-by-turn...