Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Modiphius is having a Black Friday weekend sale of 30% off all their products.

https://www.modiphius.net/collections/black-friday-weekend

The main lines are:

Achtung! Cthulhu, which is Cthulhu in world war 2 with mixed reviews. Uses savage worlds, call of Cthulhu, or a corebook for Fate.

Mutant Chronicles, which is a setting similar to the warhammer 40K one and uses the Modiphius house system. If you like a system about the complexity of savage worlds with more focus on meta-currency, it's pretty nice.

MUTANT: Year Zero, which is based on a Swedish game and is totally fantastic. Imagine a cross between dungeon world, exploring a grid map one square at a time while rationing supplies, and players all managing a settlement and its politics together. It's really really cool.

Symbaroum, which seems like generic horror fantasy with a generic system.

Fragged Empire, which has been talked up before in this forum. It's a space setting with tactical combat and cool rules for resource management.

Mindjammer, which is a hard sci-fi setting in fate. I have no idea how good it is, beyond the fact that it's a several hundred page rulebook using the Fate rules, and thus makes me kinda leery.

Anyway, if people want a recommendation, buy MUTANT Year Zero. It's super cool and does an amazing job of having the mechanics themselves be emblematic of the theme of decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

glitchkrieg posted:

Is the Starter book all I'd need to start a campaign and DM it from there?

Edit: looks like the Starter Booklet is £15 from their site... or free on DriveThru. Um...

I've actually not read the starter booklet. I think it's got enough for you to get going for a while, though. I see the PDF of the booklet as being free on their site. The £15 one is for the print version. I do actually have the booklet (just haven't read it) and it's a good quality paperback.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Memnaelar posted:

The FRAGGED games are on Bundle of Holding right now. Anyone have any opinions on Empire, Kingdom, Aeternum? Reviews seem... sparse.

4E D&D design philosophy of tactical combat but most of the weapons and powers are DIY or low flavor and require a lot of player buy-in to mechanics and flavoring to work. Slick game with a rules book that works amazingly for reference and not so great for teaching. Great game for tactical combat with real choices. Needs a lot of buy in from players and GM for mechanics.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Memnaelar posted:

4E D&D design philosophy sounds great -- does it resolve faster in play? I LOVED 4E but also felt like it was a bit frustrating to have a single combat take hours potentially. I'd be totally down for a game that was just as rich in options, but somewhat faster/less granular turn-by-turn...

That I don’t know. I only played low level. My players bounced off it because they wanted more story combat than tactical. From my recollection, thoughC a lot of the improvement involved numbers going up, or affordability of more numbers going up. You have a lot of leeway to mix and match and combo powers. But my gut tells me that you’ll spend a lot of time making equivalent NPCs and resolving their powers to account for higher level PCs.