Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Aeternal Legends is pretty great, if you haven't checked it out and like urban fantasy, it's thoroughly cool and flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Come post about FASERIP in the Marvel Roleplaying thread, there's been some good reminisces there.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
A dude on another forum was looking for a PDF version of early Star Wars RPGs - unfortunately they're not legally available, since West End Games lost the Star Wars license before electronic RPGs became viable. But this reminded me that the nearest thing to it, d6 Space, is not only still available, but free. (It approximates the second edition of WEG-era Star Wars RPG.)

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Dust Devils is on rpgnow, you can get it there if you miss this.

Of these games, 4 of 6 are brilliant, the last 2 are "merely" great.

(I wrote a short story for the OLBH fiction collection, IDK if it's included here.)

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Avalon is having a $1 sale - I can't attest to the quality of their clip art or minis because I don't use those that much, but their Fuzion game Lightspeed is fun, especially if you're an old person like me and you're like "Fuzion, oh man!!"

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
If you're looking for something to buy at dndclassics so you're not a complete freeloader with the Temple, you can get BECMI Basic for $5 (either the 1981 or 1983 edition - "D&D's such a failed game that it had 2 editions within 2 years!!!!!@!!!!"), probably the two biggest selling things in all RPG-dom, ever, for many very good reasons that become clear on a review.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
A cool game that is excellent for younger kids is now Pay What You Want: Adventures in Oz. What makes this game so great is that it really tries to stick close to Baum not just in content but in style. Characters use wits and kindness to overcome conflicts and make strange friends who will help you later as you pass through the xenophobic and bizarre lands of Oz. Former price is $9 if you're interested in a gauge as to how much you should be Wanting to Pay: RPGNow download page

I interviewed the creator along with the designers of two other Oz games 2 years ago, you can hear the interview here.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Oh, wow, actually Abandon All Hope is pretty great. It's a Pitch Black-a-like sci-fi horror game where everyone is prisoners on board a giant prison "deep space" ship that goes into a nightmarish hell dimension. The currency is cigarettes. Definitely worth a look.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Solomonic posted:

The tradeoff for this is that, contrary to what the cover would suggest, the art inside looks like someone told an eight-year-old to draw 'a spooky monster' and called it a day.

Who looks at game art anyway? Pfff. (yeah true)

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Honestly I think Slasher Flick is the bigger thing for me in that bundle. But there are many cool things there.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I do like the Champions Universe, and they were really good at adopting electronic RPG aid benefits before many others - in the San Angelo supplement, for example, you can click a button on the PDF and all the stats change from Champions to Mutants & Masterminds. It's pretty cool.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Masks is stunning. It's the best NPC collection I've ever seen, not because the NPCs are so brilliant, but because the many ways they're organized are incredibly useful at the table.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Spes Magna is donating all proceeds for the month to help a friend in need. It's pretty basic OGL/Pathfinder stuff, but the 27 Adventures for $3 supplement is pretty all right if you're looking for something to fill out a drivethrurpg order, and it's for a good cause: link to store page.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Appoda posted:

I like adventure modules, but I don't run Pathfinder. Would you say that 27 Adventures is serviceable when ripped from its system?

It would be more a "27 adventure hooks list" product at that point, if that and some good karma sounds worth $3 to you then yeah. But they aren't really very detailed.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Caliphate Nights has a hilarious/awesome "story within a story" mechanic which everyone who loves 1001 Nights will love.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

TurninTrix posted:

Is it a good read even if I'm not interested in True20 but want to borrow ideas from it for, say, Dungeon World?

Nah, DW is way too dungeony for Caliphate Nights.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Buffy RPG Revised is solid goofy fun. Fae Noir is cool. The Corporation is a bit of off-brand cyberpunk and alternates between funny and intriguing, but I haven't tried the system. Mutant City Blues is my least favorite GUMSHOE game. Savage Suzerain is Savage Worlds.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I actually own Mermaid Adventures and School Daze from their respective Kickstarters. Both are solid: Mermaid Adventures seems a little better for smaller kids. Everyone gets a cool power and the problems seem very much like a kids cartoon. School Daze is maybe for a little older kids, maybe middle school, where they fantasize about being in high school and consume things like High School Musical and Disney shows. High schoolers might like it for a Harry Potter-esque or other fantastical school scenario, but played straight it's a little bit dull, with cliques and normal high school life and so on. (Adults might like it for nostalgia or irony, of course.)

Adventures in Oz is something I got back in the day because I'm an Oz fanatic. It sticks really close to the post-Wizard Baum Oz, with no death and a pretty solid formula. There's a problem, you and some weird friends are going to go through xenophobic, bizarre lands that don't understand you and vice versa, trying to help and potentially making things worse, but in the end you make some friends and they come in to help you out against the big problem at the end. It's the only game that uses a "Friends List" that I actually really like. But if you want to make Oz more grownup or make stories that are more complicated, it's probably not a great idea. I can't really evaluate it honestly because I feel like the Oz stories are amazing for all ages, so you could totally run it for your granddad and your niece together and you would be the best uncle/aunt of all time.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

KirbyJ posted:

Current Bundle of Holding is Over The Edge!

I find myself out of my depth on this one. I've barely heard of it, so how do you guys feel about it?

It's a stunning idea generator/amazing setting, but mechanically it is blah and doesn't do anything.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
John Wick's complete "Wicked Fantasy" Pathfinder race supplement series is collected and it's only $10 for the month of January. You can read my review of it here. Spoiler alert, it's real good.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
ObBundle: American Freeform, focusing on crazy li'l LARPs. The only one of these I know is 1001 Nights and I love it.

Don't forget, if you're looking to buy some stuff on drivethrurpg, they have their annual "GM's Day" sale on March 4.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Things that are good in this bundle:

Argyle & Crew: A RPG where you and your child, niece or nephew make sock puppets and they go on adventures. The stuff you put on your sock puppet is their stats. It's extremely cute and kids love it.

Enter the Shadowside: Okay, I like World of Darkness games. So I like that these people are trying to "do their own World of Darkness!!" but trying not to copy too much. There's enough weird stuff in here to be worth trying.

Hope Prep: This is a "super kids at school" game, and it's fun. The people involved in the game seem to get the point of teenaged supers (which is to manifest teenaged anxieties literally in the form of supervillains or strange situations) The stuff in here is the ICONS stuff, so you probably will want that too.

Aeternal Legends: An urban fantasy game with a cool system. I have this one in print.

Accursed (I think): (Edit: This wasn't what I thought it was. It's a Savage Worlds fantasy adventure, and no, the corebook isn't in the bundle.)

I do think this bundle fares a little worse than previous years, but it's still got some good things.

JDCorley fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 23, 2014

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I very much like VIPER and Millenium City. I'm disappointed that they're not (yet?!) including San Angelo and their associated Chinatown supplement (name I forget). These were the first PDF game supplements I ever saw where you could click on a button and change the stats from Champions to Action! to Mutants & Materminds. It was stunning.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I totally agree. Victoriana is one of the better steam-things out there just for the reasons you list. There's at least a nod towards "hey maybe you want to toss some ironic undertones into this fantasy" and that nod is more than most do. I'm gettin' this bundle.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Not going to spam up the thread with DrivethruRPG Deals of the Day, but today's is pretty sweet, you can get the World of Darkness corebook for $3 here. Don't forget the God-Machine Rules Update is also available for free if you want to try out the newest iteration of these rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I have no interest in wrestling but ended up roped into a demo of this game on hangouts, and I had a really great time.

Here's the link.