Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Free RPG Day is June 15, which is still a ways off but definitely worth planning for. There's going to be a bunch of Pathfinder stuff, an unnanounced FFG thing, an Onyx Path Vampire: the Requiem* quickstart, and a few other things both neat and embarrassing. Interestingly enough, nothing from WotC.

So volunteer to run something now so obnoxious Pathfinder guys in the next room can chase all your players away! Like they did last year!

*It says Requiem, but Onyx Path is the oWoD team so take that for what it's worth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What's going on with this Tabletop Day? Is there free stuff or just a bunch of demos?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I got the download thing from DriveThru, what I meant to ask is if there is any reason to endure the Cards Against Humanity people by taking a trip to my LGS on a weekend.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just need the core book and I've got everything I need to play, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cool. I honestly didn't enjoy Civil War and flat-out skipped Fear Itself.

In thread-related news, there's still a little bit left at Mini Wargaming's clearance sale. Huge discounts on some Spartan Games and Mantic stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

International shipping in America just poo poo the bed. I'm not sure why, but you'll see this everywhere now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you miss the glory days of early 90's PC gaming, Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption is on sale for $2.99 over at GoG. This isn't forums-favorite V:tM Bloodlines - this is the one that starts in the Dark Ages.

e: Sale ends in ~ 30 hours.

moths fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 2, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks for that link! M&M is absolutely worth checking out, even if you're burnt out on / don't like D20 systems. The roots are familiar, but it's definitely got its own voice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Rules Cyclopedia is also half price ($10) at the moment, which is a bit more wallet-friendly than the $50+ it goes for on eBay.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Call of Cthulhu won't be included as a core game. Chaosium has a history of over-pricing their PDFs, and I'm actually amazed to see any of their stuff in there.

BUT Call of Cthulhu is between editions right now, and you can get the (updated) 7e Call of Cthulhu quick start free here (login required).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This sounds like it came really close to being a good Bundle of Holding and then decided to go with the half-assed versions of everything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anybody know about any good Black Friday deals? I've seen Kingdom Death but that's it so far, and blech.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This probably goes here: Target's impulse-buy seasonal section (right when you walk in, where stuff is a dollar or two) has a bunch of $1 drawstring bags that are basically the most perfect dice bags.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but isn't Eclipse Phase free / open copy / pay whatever already?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, poo poo that's awesome. I was more worried the bundle people were trying to pull a fast one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh [REDACTED] this is going to be [REDACTED]

:retrogames:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've just cherry picked scenes from the campaign material for individual one-shots. But a Paranoia campaign could actually work really well if you focus on one sector or service group and a revolving cast of player characters, just the setting and NPCs are constants instead of the players.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Whitehack is supposed to be a pretty cool OSR game available thru Lulu, and the author links to this blog post which gives many Lulu recommendations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Who likes FFG games? Who likes paying quarters-on-the-dollar for their stuff?

Duh, you do! Get over to their winter sale!

I just picked up enough $9 boxes of Dust Tactics terrain to finish my fall of Berlin table, and WHFRP3 and all the 40k RPGs are on sale. It's crazy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I'm kinda mad that the Dust stuff isn't 28mm, but it's not like a few building with 10' tall doors is going to wreck my day.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you've been playing Pathfinder, you probably won't notice them.

The expansion classes needed a little more time in the oven, rolling random ability scores can screw you deeper than you'd expect, and one or two rules appear to be in different draft states. And ability scores exist, which is a Big Deal to this forum. I imagine it's stuff that Tweet left in to appease / placate D20 players. For example, the Monk was intentionally blunted to preserve it's D&D heritage or some poo poo. At one stage of playtesting, Fighters had less background points (backgrounds replace skills) making them less interesting characters because that's how it worked in 3x has always been. (Thankfully that got removed, but I think it's still in an optional sidebar. An option to make your players have boring characters who do less.) It was written in the shadow of the edition wars, and there's a few places where it shows.

The upside is that you can actually get people to give it a try, so I guess those concessions paid off. If the book's $5, buy it. I bought the $50 hardcover, and I love it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think this is the Troubleshooter/Whitewash release, which was the 25th anniversary 2010 release. You're probably right that it's XP (-XP) from 04.

Delta Green is a sub-setting of Call of Cthulhu. You play government agents in a conspiracy, secretly fighting against the mythos. It wallpapers nicely over one of Call's quirks, by providing a plausible context for your policeman, boxer, flapper, scientist, and three librarians to be privy to the fantastic threats.

DG also works in that you can't just call in the army or the super-FBI. It's more like you're the X-Files' Lone Gunmen, but they all work for the Post Office.

E: vvv You're right, phone browsing makes me blind.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 25, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just tried to buy the Paranoia bundle and this happened:

quote:

THANK YOU!
-- for your purchase of our ECLIPSE PHASE BUNDLE

:fuckoff:

e: Oh! The right thing was in my cabinet afterall, it's just bad web design.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 30, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh god, I'd have written such an angrier letter to their customer service. gently caress, I'd probably still be typing it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Humble Store is currently having a pretty good sale on Games Workshop computer games. I've heard mixed reviews of some of this stuff, but I enjoyed both Space Marine and Dawn of War.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dungeon Crawl Classics's got a :krad: DM screen that I'm going to stand in line outside the store for before they open.

(And then probably finally pull the trigger on DCC.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They actually got 10 of them at my store, and DCC isn't the most popular title - but it's still free so I'd go earlier than later.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you're signed up for the Mantic newsletter before July 10th, you'll get a free PDF of Kings of War 2! Although I think the rules are expected to be free anyway, so this is a little confusing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Right now Amazon has Frostgrave is on pre-order for $13. :toot:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's not much time left to get in on this, but Steam is selling all the Dawn of War games at 75% off.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

These are Osprey's fiction line, which gives fictional subjects the same in-depth Osprey treatment they usually save for Napoleon's shoe-shiner brigade or whatever. The Nazi Occult one is particularly funny because Osprey's audience didn't initially get that it was a put-on.

Think of them as system-neutral source books.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel stupid acknowledging it, but is anything cheap for "DM Appreciation Day" this year?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Those Ankh pins are pretty hard to come by, too. I picked it up mainly for that, but also because I never got any of the clan books.

Can't wait to see what the additional content is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You get the two pins and all the PDFs. The bundle promises to add content later, which will most likely be additional PDF content and not physical goods.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

I recommend V20 in that case; comprehensive with everything in one place, and pretty art and design.

I also recommend V20 for the same reasons. If you're going to be running the game, V20 so much easier than trying to go through a dozen different books.

If you just want background material for reading the Humble bundle package is probably a better choice for you. In terms of page count, adventure hooks, and worldbuilding concepts, you'll be getting more there.

Probably the best deal for beginners would be both the $15 level Humble Bundle and the $10 V20 core book. You can use the core book, then consult the HB books for further reading if anything catches your eye.

I don't think the other bundled v20 books are that useful for new players. Dust to Dust is an into adventure, Companion is a grab-bag of corner-case things like titles and technology updates, Red List is an NPC folio (the Red List is the vampire FBI's most wanted), and Children of the Revolution (I think) deals with the Anarch movement, which is surprisingly similar to an undead occupy wall street. It's good stuff for an extra $5, but largely redundant if you're getting the HB package.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Haha, gently caress. They've also taken down the "More to come" blurb, so I guess that's it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Already posted this in Historical thread, but Bolt Action's Tank War supplement is free from Warlord Games store this month!

E: oops, scroll down to the PDF. That's the free one.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Cubicle Seven coupon really makes me wonder what went on behind the scenes for this deal. Especially since all these PDFs were pulled from Drivethru.

I hope this means C7 is supremely confident in their version of WHFRP.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Unfortunately the game is in the bundle is the 5th edition, which isn't particularly amazing since they lost the rights to produce AD&D derived works. It's basically interchangeable with any number of other OSR also-rans.

The 4th edtion of Hackmaster is the good one. It's essentially what 3x would have been if they'd built more firmly on the foundation of 2e, and it zings on a lot of late-90's quirky excesses while still being a (supposedly) playable game. It's got promotional coupons, an alignment audit system, a multi-volume monster encyclopedia, and is on more than one occasion a subversive takedown of the absurdity of the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I picked up the intro book and noped-out when I saw a character can random-roll "RAPE" as the circumstances of your birth. I'm sure that passes for fun at a table where no players have experiences, but holy poo poo Kenzer - I wish we were all so blessed.

My impression was that it's essentially a watered-down Dungeon Crawl Classics. They removed the kitsch and charm of the original, and were legally prohibited from making something too mechanically similar to it. So it went hard into "Generic fantasy heartbreaker" and got lost in the crowd.