Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AriadneThread posted:

rhin's the best party member anyway
it's true, beyond her story (which was the best one imo) I would use a thing to link our status conditions and then get her to Hide in the middle of combat it was very fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
You know how the lore skills and anamnesis all give you passive observations sometimes when they're trained? Do they do more of that when you master them or is the benefit just for checks?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I mean, they give you those extra bits of info at level 1 and I'm curious if they give more at level 2.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i couldn't tell you, honestly. i know having at least one pip gets some flavor text, but i never saw anyway to tell if additional pips modified it any

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There are some skill checks against them

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This game is so loving good

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Song about the 9 worlds and the numenera they leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acS4UT9g2hc

It even says "press the red button" exactly nine times :stare:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What does companion loyalty affect and what increases or decreases it?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Just got Cypher Adept with Rhin and I'm soooooooo glad I saved the Third Man. I'm forever now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a way to open Aen-Tozon's maw besides the scalpel, your companions, and Wondor? I ask because he says something about feeding off of an enemy's hatred for you but there's no one I know of who'd fit that bill.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think thats if you have a companion that hates you

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

i think thats if you have a companion that hates you

Thanks.

I'm also wondering if there's any way to get Waits-for-prey's head without a crisis? This wiki entry says you can convince it to feed itself to a maw, but I've figured out what both maws want and there are still no conversation options to try and convince him.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

theres other maws later on

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grim posted:

it's true, beyond her story (which was the best one imo) I would use a thing to link our status conditions and then get her to Hide in the middle of combat it was very fun
Not to mention her Cypher skills. Lategame Rhin was like my biggest damage dealer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Edit: Wrong thread

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 22, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
third runthrough now. a little asinine observation: all of the little bit characters are great, and i particularly like how downright pleasant a lot of them are. crooked queek, the foremen in the underbelly, those three kids taking care of the stichus... dying earth settings can sometimes be a little pessimistic, but as inxile have written it the ninth world is full of pretty upbeat people. i have thought about how lovely a lot of people are in other dying earth books and i think, whether or not jack vance etc thought about it, there's a logic to it. with dwindling populations, decline and such, the rewards for cooperation become few, whereas, with the world of oddities and artifacts there to be plucked, the rewards for defection enlarge. like a zero-sum game... or that game theory thing about the optimal strategy only being cooperation in an infinite game, and any finite element leads to everyone defecting progressively earlier and earlier.

the ninth world isn't strictly dying earth, of course - things are still happening and can be done, the sun isn't going out, new things are still being created and discovered... or so it seems from the game. that could easily account for why people might not be complete cunts.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Neurosis posted:

the ninth world isn't strictly dying earth, of course - things are still happening and can be done, the sun isn't going out, new things are still being created and discovered... or so it seems from the game. that could easily account for why people might not be complete cunts.
In the RPG books its weirder than that, but no one currently alive realizes it.

Like theres at least one planet totally missing, and implications that the sun should be gone but isnt, for "some reason".

All of the previous intergalactic/interdimensional epochs/wars/empires/techplagues are left fuzzy enough so that you can get cthulhu-grimdark if you want or gloss over it as funtime scifi or mad max.

Theres another giant kickstarter for a crapload of books going on right now too.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

FRINGE posted:

In the RPG books its weirder than that, but no one currently alive realizes it.

Like theres at least one planet totally missing, and implications that the sun should be gone but isnt, for "some reason".

All of the previous intergalactic/interdimensional epochs/wars/empires/techplagues are left fuzzy enough so that you can get cthulhu-grimdark if you want or gloss over it as funtime scifi or mad max.

Theres another giant kickstarter for a crapload of books going on right now too.

there's a vague reference to them rekindling the sun in the game - i think they said at some point it's 2bn years in the future. i can't remember where i got that specific figure but it is something in the game itself.

i've read enough far future sci fi to not wonder too much about the planet thing, planetary engineering being a common trope (using cores to create diamond computer minds, turning jupiter or saturn into miniature suns, totally converting planets into various projects like ringworlds or dyson spheres...).

also something particularly strange is that apparently as of the ninth world humans only re-emerged recently. 1,000 years ago, the game says, though i think that must be wrong; it sounds too recent. there's another intelligent race still inhabiting the earth - aquatic, maybe? - that says when encountering the first humans again 'oh, there you are again'.

i like the hard sci fi skewing of numenera. dying earth settings can rely on what seems to be straight up magic without much hint of advanced technology (vance's dying earth and clark ashton smith's zothique are examples) or just turn the sci fi stuff up until eleven, like numenera and gene wolfe's new sun books do (sans possibly some very minor deity intervention in the solar cycle books). i prefer what we have here. oddly, despite fantasy being not limited by the need to make even a vague indication on how something might work, the science-based settings feel denser, as suddenly every type of theorised scientific phenomena can be drawn on.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Finally finished. What an amazing experience. I've never played anything like that in my life, not even the original Torment. Although at the very end I thought it was weird that the Changing God didn't react more strongly to seeing Miika's consciousness intact since that was supposed to be his whole motivation. Had he just given up on it?

I also made a playlist of songs about the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sk78uP9m-E&list=PLkZCa6DqPAXe1pgUX7SQHM8-AA4Ymkcl0

Or here's the full playlist if you don't want to start at the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkZCa6DqPAXe1pgUX7SQHM8-AA4Ymkcl0

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Finally finished. What an amazing experience. I've never played anything like that in my life, not even the original Torment. Although at the very end I thought it was weird that the Changing God didn't react more strongly to seeing Miika's consciousness intact since that was supposed to be his whole motivation. Had he just given up on it?

I also made a playlist of songs about the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sk78uP9m-E&list=PLkZCa6DqPAXe1pgUX7SQHM8-AA4Ymkcl0

Or here's the full playlist if you don't want to start at the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkZCa6DqPAXe1pgUX7SQHM8-AA4Ymkcl0

what ending did you get? there's one you probably didn't get if you were earnest in your responses to npcs which is... interesting. i don't know how to hint at it without spoiling it. it requires you to behave in a certain way in the first half of the game across many different npc interactions.

glad to see other people enjoying this still. they hosed their handling of the stretch goals and it appears to have really messed with the game's reception, despite it being a very solid game with an imaginative world. the central storyline wasn't as strong as ps:t's, i think, but the world is imo more interesting. i also liked having the changing god and the other castoffs for your protagonist to play off, they felt much more substantial than the nameless one's other incarnations and the transcendent one.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 24, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Neurosis posted:

what ending did you get? there's one you probably didn't get if you were earnest in your responses to npcs which is... interesting. i don't know how to hint at it without spoiling it. it requires you to behave in a certain way in the first half of the game across many different npc interactions.

glad to see other people enjoying this still. they hosed their handling of the stretch goals and it appears to have really messed with the game's reception, despite it being a very solid game with an imaginative world. the central storyline wasn't as strong as ps:t's, i think, but the world is imo more interesting. i also liked having the changing god and the other castoffs for your protagonist to play off, they felt much more substantial than the nameless one's other incarnations and the transcendent one.

Well I went back and tried confronting the specter more directly about his daughter and he had more the reaction I expected there, even abandoning his plan just so he could save her with me.

And you can spoil me a little if you're vague. Does something special happen if you claim you're the changing god at every opportunity? Like how in the original if you said your name was Adahn enough?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well I went back and tried confronting the specter more directly about his daughter and he had more the reaction I expected there, even abandoning his plan just so he could save her with me.

And you can spoil me a little if you're vague. Does something special happen if you claim you're the changing god at every opportunity? Like how in the original if you said your name was Adahn enough?

you got it. i haven't done it but i've read a bit about it. i'm going to guess of those that finish the game only 10% or less of people are going to see that one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

When a whole bar jeers you for being a castoff so you use a tidal surge

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 24, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really should go back this but the last conflict in the Maw with the maw boss just feels.... bad.

Also I miss having Rhin who was by far the best part of the game.

How much more do I have left to go anyway?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Neurosis posted:

you got it. i haven't done it but i've read a bit about it. i'm going to guess of those that finish the game only 10% or less of people are going to see that one.
Ha ha, I didn't know this. Mind you I only played through once, but this game's got more layers than it gets credit for.

GlyphGryph posted:

I really should go back this but the last conflict in the Maw with the maw boss just feels.... bad.

Also I miss having Rhin who was by far the best part of the game.

How much more do I have left to go anyway?
Almost done. There's a final boss fight, but you can cheese it by just running up on to this platform on the far left and just have all your enemies just fight amongst themselves until time runs out. The fight with The Maw is the worst part of the game really, the rest is real good though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh no I am past the Maw itself that one was great fun, I liked the whole Maw itself a lot, its the fight against the castoffs that is wearing me down because I restarted like three times after realizing like half the dialogue triggers dont work consistently and not really liking a single one of the options on the table and generally just thinking the whole scene was dumb. One time things just sort of soft locked.

Basically the talking to people bits dont seem to actually work reliably even if you succeed and I assume its just bugged, but it frustrated me enough to get me to quit.

I just reached my limit and the most frustrating parts of the game I hated the most all seem to have joined together in this fight.

Why do so many games do this? Make the end so damned stupid and unpleasant and drawn out? Ugh. I should have known from the fact I was compelled to quit I was basically right at the end, thats always how it goes.

It was the same way with Baldurs Gate. And FF7. And FF6. And FF9. And Planescape torment. And like a dozen other RPGs.

Apparently I am really good at reaching my limita with a game just shy of the end or whatever lol.

Still I thought there was gonna be a whole nother area. if its really just finishing this fight I can manage that

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Neurosis posted:

I'm gonna do another playthrough where I do that. Also so I can have all the companions I didn't the first time through and maybe make some alternate choices on other things. I'm going to be RPing it as in-character with my last playthrough and the Last Castoff found a mere of himself. I'm also going to cheat all my skills to max and say it's because he still has the resonant power.

Accordion Man posted:

Almost done. There's a final boss fight, but you can cheese it by just running up on to this platform on the far left and just have all your enemies just fight amongst themselves until time runs out. The fight with The Maw is the worst part of the game really, the rest is real good though.

Yeah you're getting close. I also liked the maw boss but I hadn't done anything to piss the maw off to that point, this time I'm going to do the opposite and grief it as much as possible

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh now I am past the Maw itself that one was great fun, I liked the whole Maw itself a lot, its the fight against the castoffs that is wearing me down because I restarted like three times after realizing like half the dialogue triggers dont work consistently and not really liking a single one of the options on the table and generally just thinking the whole scene was dumb. One time things just sort of soft locked.

Basically the talking to people bits dont seem to actually work reliably even if you succeed and I assume its just bugged, but it frustrated me enough to get me to quit.

I just reached my limit and the most frustrating parts of the game I hated the most all seem to have joined together in this fight.

Why do so many games do this? Make the end so damned stupid and unpleasant and drawn out? Ugh. I should have known from the fact I was compelled to quit I was basically right at the end, thats always how it goes.

Yeah I also had to restart that fight a few times, but next time I'm not going to savescum it at all because the castoffs can't die so the only benefit to bringing them to your side is the fight's easier.

Something I also wonder about in that fight that I'm going to test in my new playthrough is whether Tash will still refuse to cooperate and call you a rapist if you don't have him betray Paj and kill himself, I did both lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

It was the same way with Baldurs Gate. And FF7. And FF6. And FF9. And Planescape torment. And like a dozen other RPGs.

Apparently I am really good at reaching my limita with a game just shy of the end or whatever lol.

Still I thought there was gonna be a whole nother area. if its really just finishing this fight I can manage that

I think it's because a lot of developers try to do the game in chronological order for some weird reason, which means the end comes last and it's the most likely part to be rushed. But those games you listed are nothing compared to the ultimate rushed RPG ending that towers over the others from a throne atop the universe: Neverwinter Nights 2

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think it's because a lot of developers try to do the game in chronological order for some weird reason, which means the end comes last and it's the most likely part to be rushed. But those games you listed are nothing compared to the ultimate rushed RPG ending that towers over the others from a throne atop the universe: Neverwinter Nights 2
Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

It was literally, literally that. And the last boss fight right before used weird, poorly balanced special mechanics and you have to wield a predetermined weapon the whole time no matter what kind of character you have.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mask of the Betrayer tried its best to redeem it and was a good game in its own right. Very Torment-y, incidentally. Like if Tides hadn't been made, Mask would have been the closest thing we ever got to a sequel.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

literally, as in actual rocks?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

literally, as in actual rocks?

Yes! Literal falling rocks kill your party and you don't even see it! It's narrated by the loving janitor at Obsidian!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

wow that sounds way worse hahah

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

that actually kinda owns

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The ending of the first of the recent Shadowrun PC games was really horrible too, and even when I killed the horrible companions I was forced to travel with their disembodied voices never stopped blathering at me.

Its either a nonreactive bug fest with weird forced choices that abandons what made the game great, a super long and super grindy and super boring dungeon, or just skipping the ending all together. Sounds like NW managed all three?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vjPGV7uWDE

Here it is, if anyone doesn't believe me.

And if you're wondering, this ending isn't just the result of loving up somehow. It's the best possible outcome.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 24, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Its either a nonreactive bug fest with weird forced choices that abandons what made the game great, a super long and super grindy and super boring dungeon, or just skipping the ending all together. Sounds like NW managed all three?

Lol yes. It's so completely all of those things, I didn't even mention how long and aggravatingly difficult the final dungeon is or how few choices you have at the end or how it abandon the characters and writing that made the early game so good. What I'll give it credit for is they've fixed the bugs that made it basically unplayable at launch (but not all of them and there's still a bunch of unfinished cut content still in there) and your relationships with your companions affect how things play out in the final battle (although it's still ultimately irrelevant because you all die)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

[Anamnesis] Dislodged by the talk of bad endings, memories of Neverwinter Nights 2 rush back to you in searing waves. At first you suspect it may be some sort of false recollection planted in you, as the laziness seems too absurd to have appeared in a real major game release; but the overbearing frustration that follows give undeniable truth to its reality.

1. [Lore: Machinery, Tidal Surge] Upload a video to Youtube so the thread can share in these dark feelings.
2. [Persuasion, Concentration] Try to achieve catharsis for your long-buried resentment with a rant post.
3. "Farewell."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That ending was how it was spec'd from the beginning, for at least as long as I was on the project.

I also advocate never developing areas in chronological order for a lot of reasons, but I wasn't able to convince anyone of that for NWN2.

• Locked thread