Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tunahead posted:

I think what this thread needs is an argument.

I'll go first!

[...]

That's just two examples and I could write a loving novel about either scenario. You really haven't thought this through at all, have you.

If we're going to try to discuss the two questions philosophically, the biggest thing is that "What is one life worth?" is easily conceived of as a question of ethics (signaled by the word "worth"), of right and wrong and determining the correct courses of action. Which is certainly a fine foundation for a story, and this game's story doesn't have to revolve around ethics, but ethics has been the primary philosophical question pinning down a huge number of RPGs.

"What can change the nature of a man?" is a question that lends itself to ontology (signaled by the word "nature"), and discussions of causation, of what it is like to be something and to exist. That is exciting territory for any game, and certainly differentiated P:T from, say, Baldur's Gate.

I'm actually loathe to try to speculate and pass judgment on an entire multi-hour game based on one little element (I don't know why this is so incredibly common for games as opposed to movies, you see the same thing in the Bioshock Infinite thread), but if I were, I can see someone making the case for one question being more interesting as a philosophical foundation than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread