Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Drifter posted:

Dude, there's a significant difference between staking your reputation on one game and moving on to "staking your reputation on now a second game before the first one you originally staked you reputation on is even released."

While there is, you have to admit that there are few other options if they want to make a Torment cRPG without having to release their writers and concept artists etc. Their only options are to find a publisher, do another Kickstarter, or be super-shady and fund the preproduction of Torment from the Wasteland 2 funds. I don't see of a way to do this game without one of those three options. For various reasons, Infinity-Engine-style cRPGs haven't been an option with publishers, though you could obviously make an argument based upon the Kickstarter funding of Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity that a publisher would take a risk on them again.

Ultimately what I will want to know before pledging are:
1) Will a game come out of this?
2) Will the game that comes out of this be fun?
3) Will the game that comes out of this have the Torment feel.

For 1) I am pretty easy, probably way easier than you, I saw the recent Wasteland 2 video, that's enough for me.
For 2), I'd have to see more gameplay video of Wasteland 2.
For 3) I'd want to see the writers talking about P:T, what made it great for them, etc. as well as I'd like to see an absolute ton of artwork of Numenera. I know there's already some for the actual Numenera tabletop RPG, but I'd just want to have a lot more to see if it captures the interesting feel of the Planescape setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
For Project: Eternity a couple of Goons put together this Google doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14 that was pretty fantastic. It ought to be fairly easy to set up something similar for the Torment Kickstarter, and I'd be willing to help out if anyone is feeling particularly :spergin:. It'd give better estimates of what kind of stretch goals Torment has a chance of hitting than Kicktraq's wildly innacurate estimates.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Torment has passed $1.2M in 9 hours. I'm pretty sure that Project Eternity had set a record at biggest first 24 hours after having hit ~$1.2M in 24 hours. I think people are giving them at least a little bit of slack, as it's only been 3 hours since they hit their initial target. I'm not particularly worried if they don't get something else out today other than more amazement responses, etc.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
This is set to be the second biggest 24 hours for a project on Kickstarter. OUYA hit $2,589,687.77 after 24 hours, this one looks to be about 1.7mil. It's a shorter funding time of the big projects, 30 days as opposed to Project Eternity's 32, Double Fine Adventure's 34, and Wasteland 2's 35, so it might potentially reduce total funding but probably not by much.

Spreadsheets:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

I am wondering how it's going to work with Ziets being on both Project Eternity and this one. Unless pre-production is wrapping up soon.

By the time Torment is funded, it will have been nearly 6 months since Project Eternity was funded. It's possible his role in Project Eternity won't be as large by that time and he will then have some time to do Torment.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Graph time!

from: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=13

Despite the shorter funding period, Torment is looking extremely healthy so far. It will start dropping off in rate soon but if they can have the kind of last week that Project Eternity did, inXile will need to think of stretch goals for $4.5M by the end.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Brother None posted:

Haha. Thanks. This is beyond nuts.

I expect it to start slowing down significantly any minute now! Uh...right?

If you look at how the big Kickstarter projects have done so far, they have all hit pretty close to 3x their first 48 hours. It will slow down, but make sure there are plans in the works for at least 2.5x what you have when you guys show up to work tomorrow.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zilkin posted:

So how much money do you guys they will end up with? I'm thinking about 4.5 million myself(with 100k from both Fargo and Dengler) which should be enough to fund a pretty drat awesome game.

I think about 4.75 million without any paypal or Fargo/Dengler contribution.

Look at how they are doing compared to the other big projects. They will need to do that last week tons of content that Obsidian did for Project Eternity to get a lot of attention at the end, but they are getting pretty healthy funding.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I also found this one neat:

It's not just that people are backing with more money, there's a lot of backers too, more backers than Project Eternity even. It's still a bit surprising to me how people didn't seem to mind that Wasteland 2 isn't out to show what inXile can do.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Twee as gently caress posted:

Welp, feels like we've reached the midway slump. Went up about $100,000 only in 24 hours. Still I suppose this is not too bad, at that rate we'll get to $3,000,000 before the final week (really 3.1M thanks to the 10% match-up) and then we'll be able to have one last push with the new stretch goals.

4.5M, we're gonna get there :colbert:

From the comparison Google Doc again:

The last entry on TToN is today so will change, but yeah, I think we've hit a 2 week slump in daily funding on its way before the final week madness. Hopefully they do a lot of information posts in the meantime.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

coffeetable posted:

What's do you think is different between the TToN and PE kickstarters? I ask because TToN has kinda flatlined for now and will likely stay there until the final week.

I'm thinking that a) many more potential TToN backers donated in the first day or so, whilst PE's were more evenly spread and b) PE was much more stingy with the art assets yet more liberal with gameplay information, which both helped sustain active discussion in the middle weeks.

I think these 3 graphs tell the story:

Torment is gaining at a good rate but slightly slower than Project Eternity did.

Torment is gaining new backers at the same rate that Project Eternity did though. The difference seems to be that Project Eternity's backers began to up their pledge levels with various add-ons while Torment backers have been consistent at their average backing of $55/person. It's a lot higher average backing price but it was a continuous effort to convince people to up their pledges that got Project Eternity's 2nd and 3rd weeks to be as good as they were. If they introduce a bunch more add-ons to convince people to up their pledges just a little bit more, they could have some good days, but they started with add-ons and a lot of different reward tiers. It seems that by having a more organized first day, they might have gotten the backers to start pledging at pretty close to what their maximum pledge will be.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Brother None posted:

I don't mind feedback/criticism, I'm here and listening, but if you're going to make comparisons (I don't think there's need for one), be fair about it, and do realize that so far we're still doing amazingly well. Will this campaign end strong too? It might, but more likely Wasteland 2 strong than PE strong (PE's huge ending upcurve was very much so influence by $/backer going up, our average pledge doesn't have much space to go up). Still, it depends on what we put into it, and we've got our plans there. This lower curve than PE right now is expected though, at least, I expected it, our reach and $/backer on day one-three were just so high, of course your sustain rate is gonna be lower.

A Wasteland 2 strong finish means either $4M or $4.9M, depending on whether you mean that you will finish with the kind of actual dollars that Wasteland 2 had left to gain at this point or if you mean that you will finish with the same sort of percentage gain that Wasteland 2 had at this point. I still am holding to my initial $4.75M prediction that I made on day 1 of the Kickstarter, but if it were to do a PE sort of finish, it would need a few things:

1) More digital tiers/addons. I don't even know what at this point, this KickStarter is very well-handled already, but raising that average backer price would be important if you want to have a PE sort of finish.
2) Media attention that will create new backers. This is difficult, you will have to compete with ALL gaming news. That's where things like the livestreams work into it. Have someone LP a past game they liked while talking about what they like and don't like about it. Have some people play a pen and paper session. Have some concept artist record himself drawing the concept art then play it all in fast forward on YouTube set to music.

The two ways to create a better funding campaign are to get new backers or to convince existing backers to increase funding. You're actually doing absurdly well already with probably the best-organized Kickstarter to date. I'd still love to see you hit stretch goals that aren't even on the list yet, because P:T was incredible and I want to see something as amazing again.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Patrick Rothfuss has said before that Planescape: Torment is his favorite game, and he's a great writer even if at times the plot and Mary Sue nature of Kvothe had me shaking my head. I still enjoyed his books and I'm far from the only one. On Goodreads, The Name of the Wind has 94,544 ratings at an average of 4.56 out of 5 with The Wise Man's Fear having 62,486 and an average of 4.53 out of five. While that doesn't mean it's actually a good book, it was obviously enjoyable for a lot of people. He isn't the only one that will be writing or even close to writing the majority of it and I think that by the fact that he liked P:T so much, he could be a good fit. Additionally Rothfuss runs that monthly Storyboard Hangout, the next episode of which will be on April 2nd, 3 days before the Torment Kickstarter ends. A fantasy author that a lot of people have heard of could certainly bring enough backers who wouldn't normally participate and Torment could hit a stretch goal it wouldn't otherwise because of it.

edit: Rothfuss wrote about this himself before the Kickstarter announced him:
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/03/concerning-games-torment-and-a-sense-of-play/

fermun fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 22, 2013

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah, I really doubt that they're just going to bring him in and let him write anything and everything he wants. He's likely going to be working within strict confines that have been laid out in advance, and he'll have story editors on the back end. So, there's no reason to think, even if you personally dislike what he writes, that he'll somehow "poison the well," as it were.

The main thing is to bring in more writers who can offer fresh perspective and new ideas for the entire team to bandy about, which I'm sure that Rothfuss is more than capable of.

By his blog, it seems he will be writing dialogue trees and some character arcs. Dialogue trees are mentioned earlier in that blog post about it, while story arcs are mentioned near the end:

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

March 18th

I send Colin an e-mail. Then I decide to call him, instead because I know we’re getting down to the wire.

“Do you still want me?” I ask. “I know it’s kinda late.”

“We’d love to have you,” he said. “We can add you as a stretch goal.”

“How much writing are we talking about here?” I ask.

“Maybe 10,000 words,” Colin says. “More if you like. Less if you need it to be less.”

“Could I maybe help with some of the character arcs too?” I ask. “I’m pretty good with character. You could use me as a sounding board if nothing else, and ignore me if you think I’m being an idiot.”

“Um…. let me think,” Colin says sarcastically. I can hear the smile in his voice. “A chance to chat with you about stories and character development. I think the answer to that is…. yes. “

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There are 5 writers as stretch goals, Colin McComb as head writer, Monte Cook is mentioned but I'm not sure if he's doing any writing, Ray Vallese is a full-time dedicated editor, Kevin Saunders is project director.

I don't see any other names mentioned as anything that would be related to writing, so it looks like a writing staff of 7 with an editor and a project director. There might have been some writers to start with though, not sure.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hopefully Rothfuss brings more fans tomorrow too, but today there was a pretty decent sized jump in funding.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
While the Paypal money already had them over $3M, Torment did just pass that point on Kickstarter alone. That means they've hit the stretch goal for your top 2 tides determine your ending. Next goal is another new cult.

quote:

Dendra O’hur. Followers of the Great Queen Sar'lavun, the Lady of Maggots, the Dendra O'hur are a nomadic cult of cannibals and devourers of the flesh. They draw power from their victims, the strength of the fallen meat passing to their limbs and the command of the numenera to their minds. Recognizable from their tattered and moth-holed cloaks and their sharp-but-rotting teeth, the Dendra O'hur have no friends... but they command fear, and this is enough for them.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I think that $3.25M is a bit pessimistic.

I think somewhere about $4M is the minimum to be expected at this point.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm thinking 4.5 million personally.

PE made over a million in it's last 3 days. I expect Torment to do similar

It is possibly though that Torment was just more front-loaded than PE, in which case a little over 4 might be the end.

I think 4.5 million is entirely reasonable. Tuesday, April 2nd is the next Patrick Rothfuss StoryBoard and he's sure to mention his involvement in that. Torment has more backers than PE did and the lead in backers has been growing. Torment's backers have also maintained a $55 average backing, higher than PE's average backing.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zilkin posted:

They will for 100% sure hit 3.5 million don't worry about that.

6 days left now. Checked Kicktraq and P:E made 1.4 million in that time. If this going to get anywhere near that number the daily funding levels would probably need to spike real soon. P:E's last 6 days were 133k, 143k, 105k, 164k, 247k, and 615k on the final day. Torment got 39k yesterday.

Torment is at a higher funding level than P:E was at this point though, so they don't need as much to still at least tie what P:E got in the end.

Torment's day ticked over just a few hours ago. They still have closer to 7 days left including today. P:E's last 7 days were $54k, $133k, $143k, $105k, $164k, $247k, $615k. Torment is currently ahead of where P:E was at this point by 621k though. That makes topping P:E's funding level way more reasonable.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

So, uh, what happened to the jump in pledges that typically happens? I figured we'd have hit 3.5m by now.

It happened to PE for the last 6 days, to DFA for the last 5 days, for wasteland 2 for the last 3 or 4 days. Today's Easter so people are probably with family. There will still be a jump, I wouldn't worry unless they do an update tomorrow without there being a jump. Tuesday is also Patrick Rothfuss's monthly storyboard stream with other authors, so he'll probably plug the Kickstarter at least once during that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There are not 16 different elements at all.

There are 5

The 16 different things are about having an incomplete dominance, a near complete dominance of one of the 5 colors OR incomplete dominance with your top 2 being:
Blue and gold
Blue and indigo
Blue and silver
Blue and red
Gold and indigo
Gold and silver
Gold and red
Indigo and silver
Indigo and red
Silver and red

Between these 10 color combos, the 5 solo colors and no dominant color, you get 16 legacies.

• Locked thread