Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It would be good if they started it a week or so before Wasteland 2 comes out, then they can start with a good pitch and just as the campaign is entering the slow middle period they can say "Oh by the way the game we just released is "an epic masterpiece" according to Game Informer or whoever". That is assuming they're confident that it'll be well received.

I haven't played PST yet, but I'm kind of interested in this project because I follow Kevin Saunders on Formspring and his posts are consistently thoughtful and insightful regarding game development.. I don't know about living up to the Torment Legacy or whatever, but I think any game he's making is probably in good hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man, Chris Avellone is a good writer but he's far from the only good writer, and his involvement or lack of it (or even blessing or lack of it) should not make or break a project. Plenty of games have turned out fine even without Chris Avellone working on them, strange but true.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

According to Kevin Saunders the plan is for RTwP but they're open to going turn-based instead. It's one of the things the backers will have input on.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When I started reading the pitch it was at $100,000. When I finished reading the pitch it was at $200,000 :stare:
Yeah, I think this game is going to get funded just fine.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 6, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Zilkin posted:

This would be cool, but there are 1000($125 digital tier) and 500($250 physical tier) backers who will get their name in the game this way. Probably just gonna be some huge wall full of names.

This has always kinda caught my eye in Fallout games. Basically human built infrastructure seems to be in way too good condition after a nuclear war and 100+ years, but the vegetation on the other hand seems to have suffered greatly. Even though in reality it should probably be the complete opposite way. Most human built things crumble fast but Earth's history, and even recent events like the Chernobyl, have shown us that the nature will endure almost anything. If anything humans being out of the way should have been a boon for the nature to florish. Anyway off-topic, and it's just a random observation I still love the Fallout universe.
The area where Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are set is a desert in real life, isn't it? I figured that was why everything looked barren and rocky; there are some pretty lush areas in F2 and New Vegas, and in Honest Hearts you go to a national park with lovely trees everywhere. Fallout 3 was set in an area that should really be an overgrown swamp but eh, Fallout 3.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It wasn't a particularly funny video, but it sounded like he stood by the decisions he made when writing the book and explained them for the benefit of people who didn't like them, and I like that in a developer- like when Chris Avellone wrote this blog about the decisions that went into Fallout: Dead Money. Maybe have a sense of fun about the whole thing and try to leave the hurt and trauma inflicted on you by "the complete book of elves" in your past?

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 13, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

So when are we going to be able to recruit Superman as one of our companions?
Or is he another castoff and we get to spend a few hours flying around with all our stats maxed out?

Oh man, that would be awesome. Also I just realised that if the other castoffs have different stats then playing as them would be a good way to give you a taste of different play styles. Hey, maybe that could be a pledge reward? If there are five castoffs, five people who donate X amount could make sure they're optimised for their preferred play style: a diplomat, a sneaky thief, a mage/laser/whatever character, a brawler, etc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

general chaos posted:

From the video: "...a more nuanced system, even more nuanced than Planescape's. It doesn't judge your motivations, but your actions."

I can't make much criticism now, because as in all things writing - it's the execution that matters more than anything, but I really have to nitpick this one line. One of the things absent in modern games that try to present choices and that made the original Torment so great was the (lie) and (truth) modifiers in many dialog options. Allowing you to alter the intent behind what your character is saying. A good character could pretend to be working for an evil entity before betraying them, or an evil character could lie to a quest-giver in order to manipulate them for their favor. It's very different from the Knights of the Old Republic evil option of "Not only will I refuse your quest, but I demand that you fork over your earthly possessions!"

Returning to that concept of deception was one of the things I was really looking forward to in a spiritual sequel and I wanted to know if I'm looking too deep into this line and that lying and manipulation could, in fact, be part of one of these tides.

I don't doubt that you'll still be able to lie to people; I think they're talking about the outcomes of quests. So if the bad guy dies at the end of a quest because you pretended to be his friend and manipulated him into a corner you don't get Evil Points for being his friend, you get Good Points because you killed him. Or maybe you killed him sneakily but acted like his friend publicly, in which case you might get Bad Points because everyone thinks you were his friend and doesn't know you killed him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, Torment has more story and art information up front, while Eternity was more about the gameplay and echoing the general "Infinity Engine" experience, with story details quite lightly dusted over it. All Kickstarters flatline for about the middle 20 days, though, so it's not like InXile need to worry. I think they're still likely to beat Eternity's total.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't think Patrick Rothfuss will be available to write for Torment, because he's still pissed about Firefly. He'll probably be pissed about Firefly until the day he dies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

White Phosphorus posted:

Avelone? That's kind of weird seeing how he does NOT like Planescape:Torment. From what I gathered from a recent interview he really went on this kick that games are supposed to be written like movies - "show don't tell". And PS:T was written like a book "tell don't show" - and apparently he is convinced now that is not the correct way to write for games.

Chris Avellone also doesn't like voice acting and cutscenes, so I think Torment will be a good fit for him. The "show don't tell" thing probably refers to revealing things through other means than expository dialogue- there are several things in KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and the New Vegas DLCs that are inferred rather than stated outright.

It's kind of a shame that Avellone's going to be a stretch goal, if I'm honest, because after I heard that Obsidian signed a contract in December I was hoping he would be heading that up. Still, apart from that it's a very pleasing development.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Xaziel posted:

Pledged obviously, as an RPG lover. But still, the main question "What does one life matter?" is pretty generic and the answer we're going to get to is already obvious, "One life can change the entire course of the universe, and in contrast one life can just exist and end without changing much of anything." or something along that.

What can change the nature of a man? Everything, or nothing, or some things and not others, who cares

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mass Effect is a space RPG, and it's pretty much the only space RPG, so that's why I play it. I don't mind elves and post apocalyptic wastelands, but they get old after a while, you know?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

:stare: the female characters in Planescape Torment make Mass Effect 3 look like GRAW 2. No PST fan is ever allowed to talk smack about Bioware's female character design ever again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

By the way, happy May 13th 2009 everybody.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A 14 year old game's hyper-sexualisation of women is a big deal if that 14 year old game is still considered the game to beat when it comes to storytelling and nobody ever seems to say "with just this one big caveat". I'm yet to get around to Torment and stay away from spoilers, and all I knew about the women in the game was that there was a succubus because Chris Avellone didn't like the succubus in Diablo or something. When people talk about the game it's all "what can change the nature of a man" and no "what can stop a woman's gigantic titys from flopping about naked in the breeze"

InXile at least don't seem to be replicating that aspect, based on the concept art for the Kickstarter.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's fair to assume that a lot of people aren't into the Kickstarter Games thing, and don't want to pay now for something they won't get for a year and a half. I don't know how many people that applies to, but in this day and age people are more discerning with their money in general.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I just now noticed that there's a companion quests stretch goal; I'm a little unnerved about Eternity now, as I just assumed companion quests were a given after they added so much to New Vegas, and don't recall seeing them mentioned. Well, fingers crossed.

In Torment it seems the idea will be to resolve the companion quests in a selfish way (use them to your advantage) or an altruistic way (overcome their demons, etc). I kind of hope the selfish way provides a significant in-game benefit, while the altruistic way provides very little benefit, or even a penalty, to make it a more difficult choice for the player. I never really felt any inclincation to, say, convince Lily in New Vegas to stop taking her meds altogether, as she was fine in combat either way; same with Raul and becoming a gunslinger/repairman, although both of those are pretty happy endings for him anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I don't know. Trying to favor one form of interaction over another seems to fly in the face of presenting the choice at all. Why bother choosing the altruistic path if the benefits are of less value than the selfish path?
You would get story/role playing benefits instead of gameplay/combat benefits; the character wouldn't be as useful in combat but would get a happier ending slide, say. Besides, it's hardly altruistic if you're getting something out of it.

I guess I always play a Good/Light Side character, and this method would add a bit more agony to the choices: Do I want to be a Good person and help my companion find closure, or do I want to use them to make this rock-hard game(I'm terrible at RPG combat) a little easier, at the cost of their salvation?

GhostBoy posted:

Also Good is Dumb is an annoying trope.

It's not about being dumb, it's about someone's happiness being more important than their benefit to you. Like in New Vegas, you tell Lily to take her meds and say "even if it makes you less effective in combat, it's important to me that you get better" or whatever it was. Being good or selfless means helping people without expecting a reward- not that that means you never do get a reward, of course.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 3, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

What they OUGHT to do is let you customize your characters appearance (skin/hair color etc) and then base the appearance of the immortal god off what you picked. :colbert:

(I like customizing my dude)

That would be sweet as heck. Like James in Fallout 3, or the clone in Mass Effect.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm really interested to see how these games sell. I go back and forth, but right now I'm thinking the proportion of people who hear "pay us $50 now and get a game in two years" and think "yeah, sounds good" can't be that high. Especially with three RPGs basically in a row, although they are all filling different niches.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I like decorating houses; you accumulate a lot of extra weapons and armour in games like these, and it's nice to be able to keep some around as memorabilia. The Sink in Old World Blues had a load of crafting features and stuff to do, but what I really wanted was somewhere to display the Scripture I got from Joshua Graham, or the unique power armour Arcade gave me that I never plan to wear.

Related: one thing I really hope for Torment's crafting system is the ability to give a custom name to the things you make. It's such a common fiction thing for characters to have a favourite weapon that they name (Vera, Winona, Sting) but I don't remember seeing it in a game before Skyrim.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I do kind of like the idea of some kind of time pressure, though a soft deadline is much better than a hard one. In Fallout 2 I spent nearly two in-game years exploring the world and yukking about while my village died of thirst. Even once I found the GECK I just put it in the trunk of my car and continued to yuk about, because there were no consequences for putting it off. If I wanted, I could have rushed to get the GECK, taken it back and then spent two years yukking about while my fellow villagers stood about doing nothing in an Enclave prison.

Of course, if there had been a time limit then I would have had less of a chance to yuk about, which would have made the game less fun. Still, I can see it encouraging repeated playthroughs: you don't get an optimal result the first time but you get better the next time you play, and the time after that. If the game's good enoug that even that first playthrough is still satisfying,I can see that being a great way to encourage a replay.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I Just hope there's a decent amount of playing the game with Earth and a starfield in the background, because that would make this game the closest thing yet to my dream game, a turn-based isometric space opera RPG.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Divinity Original Sin, Pillars Of Eternity, Tyranny. I think

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's also coming out on consoles I believe.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a bunch of people on the InXile forums complaining about it but I mean... they're complaining in English... so...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yes, but for someone who isn't an expert in the language reading a script like Torment's, with its use of purple prose, registers and vocabulary that are way out of the scope of day to day life, could effectively be a problem.

Besides, yeah, the people who are on the forums are probably there complaining in English, but there's also a long thread of comments on Multiplayer.it (the Italian videogame website that broke the news) that wasn't exactly very happy either.

I'm kidding, it doesn't affect me at all but they've clearly been saying for some time that there'd be an Italian translation so dumping it is no good and not really saying so anywhere is double no good

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I do not know the meaning of these images.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I could never really get to grips with the health system in Pillars. I went in thinking it would be a system similar to Mass Effect, for example (you take 'shield' damage before you take health damage) and got hideously confused over what counted as HP damage and what didn't until it did. Add to that the limited opportunities for healing and I got really burnt out on it. Did any of those modding attempts to change the health system to something more simple pan out?
You have "endurance" and "health". Whenever you take endurance damage you take the same amount of health damage, and characters have either 4, 5 or 6 times as much health as endurance depending on your class. Endurance is the red fill on the character portrait and your character gets knocked out if it reaches 0 but can be revived or healed with spells, and endurance automatically refills after every fight. Health is the little coloured bar by the side of the character portrait and your character dies permanently if it reaches 0 (unless you've got the Maim option on, in which case they wake up after the fight with 1 Health and die permanently the next time they take a hit). Health can only be refilled by resting. The amount of endurance you have can never be higher than the amount of health you have, so if you normally have 100 endurance and 500 health, but you've taken enough health damage to knock you down to 50 health, you'll start the next fight with 50 endurance.

The good news is for Pillars 2 it sounds like they're just having standard HP.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

that's some deviant art level... everything

developing ultra-dimensional hivemindkin

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Any word on what time it'll be released? I'd assume Tuesday morning but I don't know what's standard.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I hope theres NPCs that call you out for bringing a small child into all the dangerous places you are certain to go to.

I don't think there are many dangerous places, aren't there only like a dozen combat encounters in the whole game?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

So if this game is quite light on the mechanics and apparently not much combat, how much of this game is actual video game compared to highly developed choose your own adventure?

People love Planescape Torment specifically for the choose your own adventure bits and often recommend just cheating to get through the terrible gameplay, so I'd expect this spiritual successor to be similar

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bolivar posted:

So I happened to come across this review:
http://ragequit.gr/reviews/item/torment-tides-of-numenera-pc-review-english?idmyjsp=1293710725&start=-1
(don't worry about some of the Greek UI elements of that site...and note that the review is in 5 pages)

I'm a bit taken back. The reviewer writes pretty well, I like his style. Yet he basically bashes the game as a travesty. Anyone want to argue against his points? I mean apparently everyone can agree that the game isn't rich in certain CRPG elements, but I was thinking that people would play through the game and feel like they had a good time? I didn't back this in Kickstarter so I don't have huge expectations since 2013, but right now I'm thinking like I'd rather buy it from sale for 20 euros and take it for what it is.

Anyone with a really positive review to balance that? :D Well the RPS one was pretty positive.

I like that they savage the game for the whole review and then there's a thank-you note for getting a review copy at the end

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm torn between being speccing entirely for combat and seeing how the story holds up, and going around reading minds which the devs reportedly put an insane amount of lines in for and has 50 skill checks alone

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Litany Unheard posted:

Why would you spec for combat in a game that brags about having something like twelve combats total?

Because the game lets you, and I want to see how detrimental it is to the story to avoid the speech skills which they made optional.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

You've already experienced this by paying money to post on a forum

Jesus.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Please explain why not being able to mind read is a less valid option? You get what, 1-2 hours content less maximum?

You can even use party members to pass some skill tests for you allowing you to explore the options you like

My thinking is more like: it's clearly rewarding to have the mind reading ability because you get a ton of extra content in the form of reading people's minds and it also (so I hear) also has a number of skill checks possibly including extra quest resolutions. More writing and reactivity, in a game whose selling points are the writing and reactivity. So, what's rewarding about not having the mind reading ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

if I wanted to feel pride I wouldn't be playing a video game

• Locked thread