Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If they send George Zeits over to work on it after his work on Project Eternity, that'd increase my interest considerably.

Mask of the Betrayer is the most Planescape-like RPG since Torment. And he was the main lead on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

200,000 in less than an hour. Holy crap!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

It's apparent now how incredibly popular Planescape Tormemt really is. :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Based on Colin McComb's twitter feed, if he's doing the writing we're in good hands.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I think the concept art really helped sell the game also. I know when I was looking at it I couldn't help but think "drat I want this game to be made".

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Haha

quote:

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo

What's funny is that our Producer Kevin Saunders is at the dentist and has NO idea what is going on yet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Fast Kickstarter to one million is Ouya at 8 hours.

This has 2 hours to beat that record

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Aaaand the game just shattered the all-time Kickstarter record to one million.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I wonder if George Ziets would have time to work on Torment after his stint on Project Eternity.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

This might hit two million in under 24 hours :psyduck:

edit: By the time they list their stretch goals they might have already have hit half of them :D

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 6, 2013

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

No it's slowing down. It'll probably hit 1.2 - 1.4 and my prediction is 3.6 overall.

It's still pulling almost $20,000 every 10 minutes and should hit 1.1 before the end of the hour.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Aaand there's 1.1 million, which might have been a stretch goal :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The King of Swag posted:

It was quite a few years ago now, so installation, building, underground complex, call it whatever you want.

It's a mortuary :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Brother None posted:

We have a list of way more stretch goals than that. But knowing what your stretch goals are and communicating them are pretty different things, especially since people do expect indepth updates and graphical representations were possible. We're working on 'em, but we're not exactly panicking or anything. Rushing for this stuff would be a mistake. We thought we'd have a day to get the graphics ready, turns out we were wrong. Frankly...big whoop?

I think if you guys have a frickin awesome 2 million stretch goal you might be able to hit it within the first 24 hours :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Adar posted:

Star Control 2.5. Or 3.5, whatever, let's just all admit 3 never happened.

One would think Toys For Bob (creators of star control) would have more money than god after the success of Slylanders and they could finance the game themselves, if Activision gives them the rights

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Third update is out.

There's a lot, but I just want to mention one word....

George Ziets :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So basically this is the Planescape/ Mask of the Betrayer creative team, minus Chris Avellone.

I'm pretty drat happy about that :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I am wondering how it's going to work with Ziets being on both Project Eternity and this one. Unless pre-production is wrapping up soon.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Oh god, I know I really need to play Mask, but I feel like I need to replay Neverwinter 2 again for the full experience, and I keep burning out a while after joining the Guard in Neverwinter.

Also, if someone kickstarts a true gold box successor I'll probably just email them my credit card number and be done with it.

It's really not that important to play the original campaign to play MOTB. I'd just read a summary of the original game and you'll be fine. It's really it's own self-contained (and amazingly awesome) story.

There is one character that you won't understand the significance to in MOTB if you haven't played the original. And you might miss some of that character arc. But not sure it's worth playing 50 hours just for that. Though the original campaign does have it's own moments of greatness.

If you start playing the original campaign and enjoy it I'd say just keep playing it. But if you find it a slog, no problem just skipping it and giving MOTB a go.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Holy crap! Brian Mitsoda, the story creator and writer of Vampire: Bloodlines?

This is shaping up to be amaaaaazing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

White Phosphorus posted:

Hey don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182612/from_torment_to_eternity_chris_.php?page=3

CA: I think that people [in the industry] are appreciating scriptwriting talents more, especially as games become more voice-acted and cinematic. I [think that for] anyone pursuing narrative design, scriptwriting is the best way to hone your craft, because it's a lot of what you're going to be doing. It teaches you all the brevity; using the environment to communicate a situation, as opposed to just the flat-line vomit of text, like Torment had. Which we had to do at the time, but that's more of a novelistic approach to writing, which isn't necessarily the best fit for games.

Also I think comic book writing lends itself to training you to write dialogue for games, just because you have to think so visually about what's happening in the environment. I really enjoy writing comics. For Star Wars [Knights of the Old Republic II], for example, I found myself thinking about the process a lot differently. About how the shot was framed, what was being shown, and how that reinforced what the characters were saying and [their interactions].

Um, that doesn't mean he doesn't like Planescape. Just thinks that due to the limitations of the medium at the time there were elements they had to convey with text rather than through visuals and the environment, which actually I think IS a better way to convey them. A LOT of the writing in planescape was descriptions of the environment and characters.

Brevity is important. The ability to convey the same idea with the same impact but with less words is extremely difficult, but essential for high quality writing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I'm thinking 4.5 million personally.

PE made over a million in it's last 3 days. I expect Torment to do similar

It is possibly though that Torment was just more front-loaded than PE, in which case a little over 4 might be the end.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Anaxite posted:

And we probably passed it a while ago, too; Brian was going to get the Paypal count shortly.

It would be cool to just see the $4m total on Kickstarter. On the other hand, 70000 backers!

That shouldn't be an issue.

I think 4.25 is pretty doable by the time this is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Audio is getting better

• Locked thread