Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
1) I have no idea why "what does one life matter?" is a bad catchphrase for the game. I mean, I suppose you can argue that every non-party-based CRPG has this question at its core, but I hope it will be more of the "It's a Wonderful Life"-style asking of that question as opposed to "oh, huh, a single hero saved the day, how about that?"

2) Even I do not want this to be Kickstartered soon, despite being 100% confident that InXile is going to make(/is already making) an amazing game in Wasteland 2. Really I think Wasteland 2 needs to be in beta/have some big-name previews to allay all of the skeptics' fears before they do this.

3) But I also think they will do well with the Kickstarter even despite #2, so.

4) ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Paper_Masochist posted:

On one hand, it's entirely possible that Wasteland 2 will be bad
No.

(Live the gimmick!)

This thread is in some ways delightfully reminiscent of the early Wasteland 2 thread, when there was excitement but there were also lots of people like "oh great, the guys who remade Choplifter are making a huge CRPG?" ... fast-forward about a year, and everything is totally falling into place. Brian Fargo is staking his reputation as "savior of old-school CRPGs" on these two projects now, so he has every reason to want to make them both amazing.

Now, when he then tries to revive the Magic Candle, Questron, and Ishar franchises, we can worry.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I imagine Monte Cook wanted the name of his system in the title of the game somewhere, and "[Noun] of [Funny Word]" is hardly a beyond-the-pale construction for fantasy gaming. Posts of Quarex.

While I appreciate the idea that I am being unrealistic in my support for this game, every time I have thought to myself "well, that was probably the most excited I am ever going to feel about Wasteland 2" the development team has brought out something else that really showed me how much they were Doing It Right and renewed/increased my excitement level. And how stupid would they have to be to have been hearing all these things about why people loved Planescape: Torment for the last nearly-15 years and be like "you know what people want, is a gritty tactical combat reboot that simplifies dialogue in favor of more and larger hammers." They have to know that Kickstarter Fatigue(tm) seems to be a real thing and that they have to really blow people away with the design rather than Romero-Hall-Braithwaiteing their chance away.

Clearly the naysayers and the yeasayers should just all abandon the thread and let the mehsayers debate things amongst themselves.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Holy poo poo, I did not expect this to be even crazier than the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter. I did not have a chance to look at the Kickstarter after launch until tonight, and I was thinking I would be surprised if the total was either under $250k or over $750k. DOUBLE MY HIGH ESTIMATE~!

Wow, physical tiers almost wiped out? Maybe I need to actually pledge, then, huh.

coffeetable posted:

Pros: Wasteland 2 might not be the disaster I expected it to be
:InvasionoftheBodySnatchersendingface:

CottonWolf posted:

That's exactly my position. Post-apocalyptic wasteland is pretty generic as settings go.
While it is exciting that we have reached an era in gaming where "post-apocalyptic wasteland" is generic as a setting, a sequel to the first RPG that used that as a setting probably deserves a little leeway, surely?

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I've got a low tolerance for kickstarter pitches involving the dev's kids but this one worked fine.
Not that this matters, but that kid is just a random actor they got for the Wasteland 2 video, and everyone liked him so much that they decided to bring him back for this one. He has a wonderful career ahead of him in video game acting.

Also, as to the video, I agree that it was a retread of the Wasteland 2 video, but considering it is once again a reflection of actual events (he was approached by several publishers after the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter was such a success, including some who shut him down before) and is still more entertaining than the kind-of-awful "newsman interrogation" Wasteland 2 video, I think it worked.

the black husserl posted:

So Wasteland 2 and Project: Eternity could be seen as nostalgia bombs or flukes but I think the success of this campaign has really made it clear: if the games release, the isometric CRPG has officially been resurrected :)
THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT WOOO

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is Planescape: Torment the pinnacle of cult favorite games? I can certainly see an argument for that, though of course I want there to be others out there so that we can look forward to more COLOSSO-GANGBUSTERS Kickstarters in the years to come.

Elite certainly did pretty well for itself. And I think I can say definitively (sorry to the Goon who I planned to put that "list of game sequels/reboots that should be Kickstartered" together with) Elite is the oldest game that has the potential for that kind of thing; the Infinity Engine games are probably the newest games whose genre has been abandoned by the big-name studios. So in the span of 1983 to 1999, are there any other obvious titles awaiting resurrection?

You know what, Zork would probably have a chance, if they could figure out a way to create a whole new kind of game experience while staying faithful to the super-wordy roots.

Obviously Ultima, maaaaybe a new Might & Magic or Wizardry in the older style even though those two both had chances in the 2000s, ... Darklands! Wing Commander? Questron? Maybe the Last Ninja?

I think Dungeon Master has missed its chance due to Legend of Grimrock. Specific Sierra franchises would probably not succeed due to other competing Adventure Game Restarter Kickstarters, though maybe King's Quest would still excite people?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is reasonable, CottonWolf. I actually do not do that, either; I have still never played Fallout: Tactics for that very reason; the genre is now represented well enough that I can play The Best instead of just having to take The Available. (For the record Wasteland 2 is going to rule though omg)

Oh. OH! OHH! Wow. Yeah, I had a vague awareness of that, but the best I had done was realized that "Privateer" was a word thrown about in relation to it ... and until I was staring at the word on the Kickstarter page, I did not even remember that that was connected with Wing Commander. I fell out of space simulation games so hard in the early 1990s that I am only now recovering. Dang, now I should have gotten in on that.

Noricae posted:

Well, it was a bit of a hyperbole, sure, and I think every single game you listed is worthy of old-school niche status and deserves worthy successors. I was thinking of cult in a more of "underrated when released and slowly gained a larger and larger following through mostly word of mouth" (outside of the reviewers at release). I played most of the games on your list, and quite a lot of my friends did in the past and also knew about them; they're more 'awesome nerd classics.' Planescape? I couldn't find a single friend (in college) who played it at release and I passed my cd around to anyone that I could get to listen for a while. I felt like it took a long time for the game to be an often mentioned name when RPGs get brought up and I've lost track of how many people I've raved about PS:T to in fifteen years. So, yeah, ymmv and hyperbole post and I think there are some more great Kickstarters ahead :)
That makes sense. You are basically saying that since it was an amazing game whose reputation has just continued to grow since its release, it is the pinnacle of the type of game that would do best on Kickstarter even if it itself might not be the number one. Like how Dark Heart of Uukrul (while still completely unknown by Kickstarter standards) has gone from "incredibly obscure MS-DOS-era CRPG" to "talked about in reverent tones on classic CRPG pages" in the past several years. Why, at this rate, by 2050, there will be clamoring for a sequel!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So what I am taking away from this thread, as I have many other times, is that now that I found my Neverwinter Nights 2 saves from way back when, I should really pick up Mask of the Betrayer finally.

FRINGE posted:

This project was probably the best thing that could have happened for Numenera. If Torment is as good as I hope it is, it might prod me to give Numenara a shot on its own. (And I have pretty much given up on dumping money into RPGs at all these days.)
That is honestly what makes me most excited about this. Despite the fact that homebrewed role-playing campaigns seem to be the source for CRPGs semi-frequently (Dragon Age is just the most obvious recent example), when was the last time a new role-playing setting/system actually got this kind of momentum behind it? When I passed on Kickstartering Numenera last year, it was entirely because I figured I would not have anyone to play with, and what was the point of getting into a new setting only to never actually have a chance to experience it in a game? And then, welp, here we go, looks like I should have assumed Monte Cook would find a way.

Basically I am hoping that Numenera is the kind of thing where there will be four or five CRPGs set in its world so it can be the closest thing we get to a new Gold Box series, is what I am saying.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fugue Stater posted:

The NWN2 original campaign was pretty forgettable (I literally can't remember most of the plot), but the game was much better than NWN1, and managing Crossroads Keep (a base of operations) was quite enjoyable. Some of the characters were pretty cringe-worthy, though (especially that harpy fire sorceress).
I was one of the bigger fans of Neverwinter Nights 2, in no small part because I felt like Neverwinter Nights was one of the only CRPGs I ever played that not only got worse as I played it, but got retroactively worse; as soon as I left the first part of the game and realized the setup was such that I would never be able to go back and re-visit that area again, and that the rest of the game's parts would be the same, I suddenly felt like I was playing some B-grade fan campaign (albeit a nicely polished one). The entire setup of that engine was so disappointing for actual campaigns.

Oh, but yes, Neverwinter Nights 2, I dunno, I really thought the Githzerai story was great, the Ammon Jerro or whoever stuff was amazing, the Keep was a solidly fun side element ... and to be fair I was a huge fan of Grobnar and pretty much kept him with me exclusively, as really I just want Minsc and Jan Jansen at my side in every game ever.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fintilgin posted:

Jesus CHRIST, man! What the gently caress? Grobnar? GROBNAR? :stare:

Grobnar the physically painful to listen to? Grobnar the Olympic Gold Medal finalist for world's most annoying NPC?

DUDE. Seek help.
hahahahha

HE WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO KNEW WHAT WAS REALLY GOING ON

Now, I did not find his voice annoying. And I really would not have thought I would have any tolerance for "lol purple monkey weasel!"-style characterization. But somehow Grobnar clicked with me. It helps that the only thing I hate more than forced comedy in a game is "brooding mysterious companions," which every BioWare game has in spades (I hated Miranda so much that I messed up my otherwise-perfect Mass Effect 2 ending just to make sure she did not make it). I think the dwarf, whatever his name was, was actually my favorite companion overall, but I did unironically enjoy Grobnar.

Hmm, this post is not very much about Torment.

!TORMENT!

Also I just looked up the "Wizards of the Coast licensing Planescape" thing, and it sounds like they are willing to license it, but not to Brian Fargo. Or Colin McComb. Clearly they are waiting for Electronic Arts to propose a first-person Call of Duty/Planescape crossover game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Not that this proves they are doing well, but they cancelled the Kickstarter themselves; they definitely might have made it, they just knew they had kind of botched the initial hype and could do better. Shaker was actually starting to sound pretty awesome, like TORG meets uhh Quantum Leap?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Great Rumbler posted:

That's a line that really speaks to the choir, isn't it? The whole Kickstarter craze is basically a direct response to the dumbed-down, DLC ridden, every game's gotta have multiplayer and social features mentality of the games industry in its current format.
They said similar things about Wasteland 2. When you read interviews with Brian Fargo, like 25-33% of them still say "so will we see multiplayer or ports to consoles? That would certainly help broaden your audience" and he always says "yeah, I'm not really interested in that, because that's what publishers want, and why games like Wasteland 2 have not been made in a decade."

(To be fair, the Baldur's Gate series somehow managed to have a fairly fun multiplayer mode AND be legendarily great single-player CRPGs; maybe they really are the best games ever)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would like to come to Mordaedil's defense a page late and say that Baldur's Gate multiplayer was, at times, just as much fun or perhaps moreso than the normal game, even though overall I do not think there is any way it could compare. But I also only ever played it multiplayer on a LAN, for four days straight, with three of my best friends, and by about day three we were saving every time the "main character" got awarded a new supernatural ability so we could horribly 3-on-one murder him as punishment for his divine status. Plus every time someone started reading the quest text out loud in a funny voice after about 4 A.M. it was inescapably funny.

Also I thought the Bard's Tale was a genuinely fun reimagining of the original game, though I did spend years wondering why in the world they did not try a little harder to make it at all reminiscent of the original before finding out they legally could not. Then I started wondering why they decided to make it in the first place knowing that. Thankfully with Torment there is a lot more about the game that you can use to make a spiritual sequel even without the specific rights to the original setting or characters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Since it might almost matter to some people in the thread, it is worth noting that Wizards of the Coast actually did start selling .PDFs of their games earlier this year--and not, like, just the new stuff. Some of the first things they put up were pristine copies of 1970s original D&D modules. Say what you will about their crazy plans for the next version of the game to be half-regression, but if it means they are going to promote actually being able to buy all the stuff they have ever released, that is still good for everyone but the hardcore collectors (and "the actual original version" is still going to be valuable even with reprints after all).

Is there a way we can vote for an option for hundreds of beard options, each of which gives you a different level of intelligence?

(Also the Dead State combat video is out, and that game is going to rule)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Timelapse video of someone playing through Planescape: Torment in its entirety without sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yesss ... yessssss ... InXile ... make them daaaaance ...

Seriously awesome news. I figured there was a chance he was going to end up being a stretch goal ... until I saw the video he made to support the Kickstarter. I figured that was his way of saying "no seriously I am not going to be involved BUT IT WILL BE GREAT"

Or maybe it was, and they are serious when they say they thought it would not be possible to get him until the Kickstarter was underway.

In any case, teehee! Wooo!

• Locked thread