Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

So that's a ranger cast of 9 so far, then?

Surely if they're doing 9, they're going to go for the full 12, right?

So far it’s been confirmed we’re getting:

The 6 from Dino Fury with Zayto and Amelia receiving new colors
Fern as the Orange Cosmic Fury Ranger
Billy in his MMPR suit
Mick as Red Ninja Steel
Heckyl as the Dark Ranger (aka Deathryuger with KyoryuNavy’s helmet)

So assuming the latter joins the team eventually that brings the total up to 10

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sockser posted:

So that's a ranger cast of 9 so far, then?

Surely if they're doing 9, they're going to go for the full 12, right?

I'd say just throw in the comedy woman, her robot, and the dinosaur robot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s also possible we might see someone just pilot a zord without a suit (Solon feels like a good candidate)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Larryb posted:

So far it’s been confirmed we’re getting:

The 6 from Dino Fury with Zayto and Amelia receiving new colors
Fern as the Orange Cosmic Fury Ranger
Billy in his MMPR suit
Mick as Red Ninja Steel
Heckyl as the Dark Ranger (aka Deathryuger with KyoryuNavy’s helmet)

So assuming the latter joins the team eventually that brings the total up to 10

:cripes:
I forgot to include Zayto

Sockser fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 27, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It really sucks that the official Power Rangers TRPG is languishing in that weird Essenced20 engine. It's not an unusuable system, but a level/class system is such a bad idea for a Power Rangers game. Henshin might have classes but it's handled a lot better and is still my favorite Sentai RPG. I also know there is a really good Savage Worlds hack. I recently was shown a copy of the latest PR sourcebook on time travel and I felt forlong that so much good layout and art and interesting ideas are being married to the warm, unseasoned oatmeal of tabletop rpg systems.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Covok posted:

. It's not an unusuable system, but a level/class system is such a bad idea for a Power Rangers game.

Not tabletop so not the same, but Chroma Squad does a pretty good job of managing RPG type stats+classes for a Sentai setting

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently all 10 episodes of Cosmic Fury will be hitting Netflix at once on Friday

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's always how they do it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's always how they do it

Maybe for PR but I’ve seen short Netflix shows still get split up into parts before

Also after this that pretty much seems to be it for Power Rangers until whatever that reboot’s going to be gets off the ground (though they are using suits from 8 different Sentai shows in a single miniseries which is kind of impressive, we’ll see if they can manage to tell a coherent story in such a short amount of time however)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sockser posted:

Not tabletop so not the same, but Chroma Squad does a pretty good job of managing RPG type stats+classes for a Sentai setting

Oh, there are other games to play, like I mentioned Henshin. And there are others, but it stinks the official stuff is tied to Essence20. Like, it's not unplayable, but you know there are better games so you can't justify it.

Like, these are fun additions but its tied to a weak system:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If this is Bandai's suit vision for non-toku Rangers.... :negative:

I mean, they're not terrible, but I'm getting NeoPutty vibes. There's no breakups and the cast looks toyetic as gently caress in them.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Maybe they might surprise us and at the end everybody gets the new suits as a power up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Covok posted:

Oh, there are other games to play, like I mentioned Henshin. And there are others, but it stinks the official stuff is tied to Essence20. Like, it's not unplayable, but you know there are better games so you can't justify it.

Like, these are fun additions but its tied to a weak system:

There should be a way to hack LANCER to become a Sentai game

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

It really sucks that the official Power Rangers TRPG is languishing in that weird Essenced20 engine. It's not an unusuable system, but a level/class system is such a bad idea for a Power Rangers game. Henshin might have classes but it's handled a lot better and is still my favorite Sentai RPG. I also know there is a really good Savage Worlds hack. I recently was shown a copy of the latest PR sourcebook on time travel and I felt forlong that so much good layout and art and interesting ideas are being married to the warm, unseasoned oatmeal of tabletop rpg systems.

Are you talking about the hack or that tokusastu book somebody Kickstarter-ed a while back?

Agreed on Essence20, though. The thing of it is it works better for MMPR than it does for the other franchises, GI Joe and Transformers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So from what I’m hearing from early screeners: Cosmic Fury is decent overall, the new Zedd actor is fine and has done work for the franchise before (some have said he’s the closest thing we’ve gotten so far to a proper Axelrod impersonation), and the pacing is better than a lot of us expected

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm honestly surprised they send out screeners for this kind of show

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Are you talking about the hack or that tokusastu book somebody Kickstarter-ed a while back?

Agreed on Essence20, though. The thing of it is it works better for MMPR than it does for the other franchises, GI Joe and Transformers.

Yes, I was refering to Savage Tokusastu. Why? Was I misled on it's quality. I don't play Savage Worlds so I can't judge its merits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cosmic Fury is officially out on Netflix now in its entirety (and also might possibly be the end of PR as we know it, for now at least)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

Yes, I was refering to Savage Tokusastu. Why? Was I misled on it's quality. I don't play Savage Worlds so I can't judge its merits.

No 'hack' just made it sound like it was somebody's fan thing and I would have been interested in seeing it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

It was funny to see an MMPR Morph in In Space next to the In Space morph sequences

And it just gets funnier as time goes on and morph sequences get longer and more elaborate

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So anybody have a chance to watch Cosmic Fury yet? How is it overall?

Also Zedd is now voiced by Fred Tatasciore apparently and Minh makes an in-suit only appearance

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 29, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Cosmic Fury is officially out on Netflix now in its entirety (and also might possibly be the end of PR as we know it, for now at least)

Time for Saban to buy it again at a huge discount, and make a US-based Bioman like he always wanted.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I'm halfway through Cosmic Fury

It's more of a long Power Rangers finale movie than a normal Power Rangers series, but it's pretty good so far! I'm really liking it!

:orb:

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

I'm halfway through Cosmic Fury

It's more of a long Power Rangers finale movie than a normal Power Rangers series, but it's pretty good so far! I'm really liking it!

:orb:

How’s Zedd’s new VA out of curiosity?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

How’s Zedd’s new VA out of curiosity?

It's not wrong but it's definitely different, I think it's fine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

It's not wrong but it's definitely different, I think it's fine.

I honestly didn’t mind Andrew Laing’s performance and it sucks that (from what I’ve heard) he was essentially bullied out of the role by fan backlash. That said, Tatasciore feels like an inspired choice at least

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
About halfway through myself and doesn't seem like Solon being a Ranger is likely as she's the source of Fern's dino powers

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

No 'hack' just made it sound like it was somebody's fan thing and I would have been interested in seeing it.

It's funny you say that.

I forgot that, when Power Rangers Essence20 came out, I did a Fatal and Friends review. It was left unfinished. I was so loving pissed off at how absolutely poo poo the game was. And, for the final issue of the review that never got released, I made my own version of the game, sort of.

You see, a lot of people thought Essence20 would be like Cortex because of them mentioning dicepool of varying sizes. That turned out to just be that Essence20 is a d20 system that uses dice instead of numerical modifiers.

But, I said, gently caress it. I am very good at hacking Cortex so why don't I just make the Cortex hack myself.

And, well, here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tt0-45gjr-usv2AP9abjgZAl-yWtmAeKUlCRGVCckP4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Like most cortex free products, it requires a copy of the Cortex Prime handbook to use.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I did not expect to spend my day blasting through the whole thing, but like I said, it's just kind of a 4 hour movie.

It was pretty good!
It's definitely ... weird, for Power Rangers.
But that's not necessarily a bad thing!

It introduced some relatively fun new PR lore, and I suppose, hooks for future series

Heckle's inclusion was pretty pointless!

The new Rita suit looked pretty loving bad!

The Master Zedd suit looked pretty loving great!

the new suits were mostly tolerable, but there were some shots where the foam chestpieces had huge gaps in the shoulders and looked pretty bad

Kyuranger zords seemed kind of underutilized

Scuttleworms were great

e: one more
Ollie should have kept his evil Dino Fury suit instead of getting the Cosmic suit. Looked way cooler.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 29, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wish they'd spent more time showing the Kyuranger mecha as I only half know what they all are and can't entirely figure out if each ranger has a 'preferred' or assigned one. Like the only ones I kind of get are Amelia being in the lion because red, and Fern being the scorpion because orange

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, did any other non CF Rangers besides Billy get a chance to pilot a Kyuranger zord?

Also how many episodes does it take for the rangers to get their new powers for that matter since there’s footage of them in the new zords but with the DF costumes?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also two weird pieces of behind the scenes info:

https://twitter.com/JyukiCollects/status/1707865994608410929

https://twitter.com/SentaiFive/status/1707884263327125695

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

the champagne suit does look like dookie

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
20 episodes across 2 drops is pretty standard for Netflix kids stuff, so not surprised they were open to that.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, did any other non CF Rangers besides Billy get a chance to pilot a Kyuranger zord?

Also how many episodes does it take for the rangers to get their new powers for that matter since there’s footage of them in the new zords but with the DF costumes?

3 or 4? The zords are introduced independently because the DF zords got exploded at the end of that show.

And as for the Billy question: Yes. Mick pilots a couple during his appearances.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Seriously laughing at the morphing sequence when Billy is the.

It's like: It's Morphin time!

(Billy nods and puts his hand behind him)

The other rangers:
(gesture)
DINO. FURY. KEY.
(gesture)
LINK TO MORPHIN GRID
(another gesture, with special effect)

Billy: triceratops

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like how goofy flicking the orbs into the CF morpher is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was pretty decent, I had no problem with Andrew but I thought Fred Tatasciore made a pretty good Zedd overall (he didn't do much though but his Morphin Master form at the end was cool at least. I think the writers might have also forgotten this Zedd was supposed to be a clone of the original's evil side given what happened at the end)

Fern becoming a ranger was cool and Solon being the source of her powers as also a neat idea (Izzy was kind of a bitch to her at times though). It was fun seeing Billy and Mick not only have a pretty major role but also get to pilot new zords as well (Billy getting the Wolf was an especially nice touch), I sort of felt like Heckyl and the silent cameo from a yellow MMPR ranger was a bit superflous though but evil Ollie was fun at least (as someone else said I liked that he was basically the only rational person in a room full of idiots).

I wish Hasbro had let the writers and Netflix give the show more episodes but it was alright for what it was. Next up is the alleged "reboot" but lord knows when that will actually come out and what it will entail

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 1, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I finished it all yesterday, this was a really good season, great pacing all the way through.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Seriously laughing at the morphing sequence when Billy is the.

It's like: It's Morphin time!

(Billy nods and puts his hand behind him)

The other rangers:
(gesture)
DINO. FURY. KEY.
(gesture)
LINK TO MORPHIN GRID
(another gesture, with special effect)

Billy: triceratops

David Yost can phone in as many lines as he wants, he's 54 and he's earned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On top of being better written and Fred Tatatsciore actually doing a pretty decent job voicing him, this version of Zedd got to have the best of all worlds. He got to be campy silly villainous for the fun of it Zedd, serious scary Zedd, and even develop a bit as a character after all this time into being more concerned with surviving the endless good vs evil cycle rather than just being stuck in it

I sort of liked the relationship between Ollie and Zedd as well (the latter kind of acted like a father figure to him at times, right down to giving him life advice)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 3, 2023