Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

MisterBibs posted:

Reading this thread has got me into a Power Rangers kick.

That said, I found this old article that I remember reading before, discussing some of the behind the scenes events concerning Turbo through Time Force. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it's still interesting.

Man Versus Sentai

That's a very interesting read, but... calling Turbo the best season? Really? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MisterBibs posted:

That said, I found this old article that I remember reading before, discussing some of the behind the scenes events concerning Turbo through Time Force. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it's still interesting.

Man Versus Sentai

And now I just found out that a second season of Mystic Knights was cancelled to make way for Lost Galaxy. I am conflicted.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Man Versus Sentai

Holy poo poo.

Ok here's a maybe dumb question: Let's say he moved to japan and got to work on the Sentai from now on, would it work out? I mean yeah the Sentai is good and all but not perfect and both do different things better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fred is on posted:

That's a very interesting read, but... calling Turbo the best season? Really? :psyduck:

I think it's a bit biased because the least amount of things were hosed up in production.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I love the idea of a man binging through 50 episodes of a Japanese toy commercial because it's literally his job, his face growing grimmer by the hour as he slowly realizes that they spaceships aren't going to go to space and the timeships aren't going to travel through time.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I love the idea of a man binging through 50 episodes of a Japanese toy commercial because it's literally his job, his face growing grimmer by the hour as he slowly realizes that they spaceships aren't going to go to space and the timeships aren't going to travel through time.

Or the second space show has absolutely nothing to do with space.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was pretty upset when I realized Time Force would never travel through time and have cool battles in ancient Egypt or anything at all. It's in the credits, you guys at Saban are assholes who should have known better! :qq:

But Time Force turned out to be pretty sweet anyway.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dumb question, but I'm genuinely curious if it's just me:

I've been randomly and arbitrarily watching PR eps (mostly from episodes post-Space), and as the series goes, on I find myself increasingly unable to notice the difference between the Sentai footage and the US-filmed stuff. Is it just better quality film/film stock coming out of the Sentai, increased usage on US-filmed content, or a combo of both?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It wouldn't surprise me if they started slapping a filter of some kind over the finished Power Rangers episodes to sorta "equalize" the look of the American and Japanese footage. Other than that, I think it may be that the Sentai footage got better quality: a lot of the recent seasons look really really good (CGI aside) for children's morning entertainment.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm impressed with how well the New Zealand teams have location matched the sentai footage.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Can anyone with Archives/search link to previous PR/Sentai threads? I'm reasonably sure we had a fairly big thread previously...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MisterBibs posted:

Can anyone with Archives/search link to previous PR/Sentai threads? I'm reasonably sure we had a fairly big thread previously...

I know there was one guy who wanted to review every PR episode, but only got to ep 5. And now I have decided to follow him and I should be recording a podcast with some other goons tonight, so look out for that tomorrow/saturday.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MisterBibs posted:

Dumb question, but I'm genuinely curious if it's just me:

I've been randomly and arbitrarily watching PR eps (mostly from episodes post-Space), and as the series goes, on I find myself increasingly unable to notice the difference between the Sentai footage and the US-filmed stuff. Is it just better quality film/film stock coming out of the Sentai, increased usage on US-filmed content, or a combo of both?

You can still pick out the sentai footage. Obviously all your scenes involving stock zord footage and megazords are sentai, except for cockpit scenes nowadays. Anything involving a new weapon is probably sentai. Any scene where civilians are present but they're not obviously white people is sentai. Beyond those, look for where in-suit dialogue has really exaggerated movement. Sentai keeps it fairly normal, in my opinion at least.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

SpazmasterX posted:

You can still pick out the sentai footage. Obviously all your scenes involving stock zord footage and megazords are sentai, except for cockpit scenes nowadays. Anything involving a new weapon is probably sentai. Any scene where civilians are present but they're not obviously white people is sentai. Beyond those, look for where in-suit dialogue has really exaggerated movement. Sentai keeps it fairly normal, in my opinion at least.

It was definitely easier back in the days of the Sentai footage being fuzzier, but another way to tell is that the sentai suits tend to be far shinier than the PR suits. Though the improved camera quality might have made that negligible too. Another way you would be able to tell in the old days was the helmets, the PR ones had (have?) ugly clamps on the sides so they could take them off easier.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The clamps have been gone for a while.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The clasps come and go even today, because they're the stunt helmets. The clasps are actually visible in some of the sentai footage, they're just a lot better at hiding it. I would assume they only forwarded the high-quality stunt helmets to Saban back in the day, rather than the expensive hero helmets which have some fancy internal clasp system. When Sakamoto came on with Power Rangers, he probably infodumped on them about thorough shot-planning to get around the clasps, explaining why you don't see them as often anymore.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The clasps come and go even today, because they're the stunt helmets. The clasps are actually visible in some of the sentai footage, they're just a lot better at hiding it. I would assume they only forwarded the high-quality stunt helmets to Saban back in the day, rather than the expensive hero helmets which have some fancy internal clasp system. When Sakamoto came on with Power Rangers, he probably infodumped on them about thorough shot-planning to get around the clasps, explaining why you don't see them as often anymore.

Yeah, I recall seeing the clasps in some of the Zyu2 footage, I think it was one of the Doppelganger Ranger episodes, the fakes had the clamp helmets and the real ones had the fancier ones, before that though I had always figured they were different helmets made exclusively for the US filming.

Though to be fair they did use the clamps to remove the helmets on screen in MMPR Season 2.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Though to be fair they did use the clamps to remove the helmets on screen in MMPR Season 2.
That confused me as a kid. In what way were they morphing if they were just spandex costumes with latched-on helmets?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

That confused me as a kid. In what way were they morphing if they were just spandex costumes with latched-on helmets?

Before the show bought the suits to film the actors in, I thought that the reason why they never showed it was because they were changing forms into the suits: in other words, they were literally undergoing metamorphosis into Power Rangers.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

LividLiquid posted:

Important distinction: they're not morphing, they're morphin. :eng101:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fred is on posted:

Important distinction: they're not morphing, they're morphin. :eng101:

Correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXYRh5YPu0M

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Powerful Rangers
http://youtu.be/zIKe8GN2QV4

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

*discovers thread, reads half watches four episodes of Akibaranger, reads other half*

Sooo... It hink that one of the reasons that the new Saban stuff is so terrible is that Saban is trying to repeat EXACTLY what he did on the older shows.

Cast is Martial Artists first and actors second.
Everything is as low budget as possible
Run as much camera as you can on the same things (full morph scenes, repeat the same footage)

Only difference is that now he doesn't even need to pay writers, he just translates the Japanese stuff for his own use.

I think one of the reasons that In Space was so well received was because the actors were actors, not martial artists trained to act. And the fact that the story (and dialogue) flowed more naturally.

Also, TV in general has changed since the original MMPR showed up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Haim Saban is one of the richest people in the United States and even shows up in lists of the richest Americans in Forbes. His company won't hire unionized actors. It's no wonder why things are as bad as they are.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Only looking forward to the cheap toys.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super Megaforce sounds like a parody title.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Aren't the American toys total poo poo nowadays, like they're smaller and made of cheaper plastic which doesn't hold together as well? I could swear I've seen pictures of RPM's Ultrazord being substantially smaller than G12, while my black MMPR Megazord is almost exactly the same toy as DaiZyuJin.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aren't the American toys total poo poo nowadays, like they're smaller and made of cheaper plastic which doesn't hold together as well? I could swear I've seen pictures of RPM's Ultrazord being substantially smaller than G12, while my black MMPR Megazord is almost exactly the same toy as DaiZyuJin.

It is the same as the Special Edition Daizyujin I thought? The Black Megazord didn't change the decals did it?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's because the current Japanese toys are expensive as poo poo nowadays! For instance, you could buy your little one the US Samurai Megazord for around $30 dollars, or you can purchase the Japanese original for $80: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17880096

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SpazmasterX posted:

Crosspostin'

He'll probably post more. Didn't they just start filming the cameo roles today?

Wait... why is he green again?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

Wait... why is he green again?

Gokaiger was the 35th anniversary season in Japan, compete with "returning legends" from past seasons. With Jason David Frank/Tommy being arguably the most famous and iconic (and by episode count the most prolific) former Ranger, he's the first guy you'd call to be a returner. And since he originated as the Green Ranger (and for a lot of older fans, that's his best role) that's what they brought him back as.

I saw a picture of him holding his old White Ranger helmet too, so maybe he'll trot out all 5 of his Ranger power sets.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All these years, and they still can't get the Dragon Shield right for the American version.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The most important thing is how they are gonna handle Gokai Green's....eccentric fighting style. All new footage? Will everything be new footage?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

I saw a picture of him holding his old White Ranger helmet too, so maybe he'll trot out all 5 of his Ranger power sets.

He said on his facebook that he is doing cameos as both the Green and White rangers. The other three though I have my doubts.

LividLiquid posted:

All these years, and they still can't get the Dragon Shield right for the American version.

It is still better then what they had for when they filmed Mighty Morphin. This one at least looks solid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

What was the reason for that anyway? Did Saban just get the suit but not the shield for some reason? I know they didn't lose it because the Green Ranger is still wearing the orginal in the Zyu2 footage.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

mateo360 posted:

He said on his facebook that he is doing cameos as both the Green and White rangers. The other three though I have my doubts.

They totally ignored his tenure as Red Turbo during his coma in Dino Thunder, and it never made sense when he and TJ were reds together in Forever Red anyway, the Turbo powers run off the Zeo crystals, loving Saban. :mad:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

They totally ignored his tenure as Red Turbo during his coma in Dino Thunder, and it never made sense when he and TJ were reds together in Forever Red anyway, the Turbo powers run off the Zeo crystals, loving Saban. :mad:

By that logic, Adam and Jason should have never been able to transform in their various cameos since those powers were supposedly lost for good.

Let's face it, all the old vestiges of season continuity from the first 6 seasons started getting ignored at least 10 years ago. Hell, in Forever Red/Once a Ranger, the MMPR morphers weren't even busted like in the PRiS episode Adam made his first cameo in.

Hell, we actually missed out on having Rocky come back as a Red Ranger in Forever Red since they skipped the Dairanger costumes altogether. If they changed costumes in Season 2, they could have put him in that one. (Jason would have passed those powers to Rocky in S2 and he would have never worn the old S1 costume.)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

the Turbo powers run off the Zeo crystals

I don't think that is right. During "Chase into Space" when Eltar was being attacked Justin said that that was the source of the Turbo powers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If I remember correctly, Turbo Red and Blue can work by themselves because their power source comes from those sentient cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Oh no