Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
What's going on with Megaforce, anyway? Have they just stopped airing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

David Yost, aka Billy, has declined an invitation to appear in Super Megaforce on the grounds of why the gently caress do you think?

I'm hoping for Jason David Frank.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

He also posted this:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Jesus wept.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they get these wooden kids to go from 'Teenagers with(out) Attitude' to 'ARR ME HEARTIES BUCCANEERS'.

I bet they wind up doing work experience on a boat or some dumb poo poo.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I'm not entirely sure how, but I've been watching a fuckload of Go-Busters over the past week or so. It's really good, but I can see how it might be lard to localise.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tae posted:

How, exactly? Nothing is really japanese about it or the storyline. The biggest hurdle is making a villain anywhere near as good as Enter.

I agree, Enter is tres bien.

I think the difficulty is going to come from working out a way to include Buddyroids that doesn't come across as ham-fisted, and likely from strangling a show name out of the GB initials that appear on most of their stuff.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tae posted:

Considering Samurai and Megaforce, I don't think they really care about "effort." And this is the franchise that created Alpha.

poo poo, what was I thinking.

Look out for Power Rangers: Glitter Bandits, coming to a television near you in 2015.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Jesus, going back to Megaforce after Go Busters gave me whiplash. How on earth did Troy get more wooden? Where did those elemental powers come from? Why don't the names on the cards match the names they use on the show?

Robo Knight is kind of stupid in a good way, at least.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

poo poo yeah, I wanna see Robo Knight go full ED-209.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

From what I've heard, they're pretty poo poo actors too. It's just that the language barrier masks the poo poo. The writing can be good in PR, but it depends on how much they have to adapt from the original and who's actually writing.

I'm still watching Go-Busters and the acting really isn't much to write home about except for Jin and Enter, who are amazing.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I just finished watching Go-Busters. Oh man.

Jin... :( How the gently caress did this dumb Japanese kid's show make me care about a character dying?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Your phone has Mizuki Ichirou screaming MESSAGE DETECTED! LET'S TEXTING!?

CALL MODE

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

I think that's where mine came from. Is there an anonymous file sharing service out there?

Tindeck will do. It's a shame Audiko moved to a paywall.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

God drat the train robot looks like the derpiest loving thing. They literally stuck five trains together and stood it up.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

A new era of Power Rangers is about to explode. :geno:

So either we're gonna see some wacky explanation for the Dairanger suits, or what the gently caress is wrong with you, Saban marketing division.

"To fight the invasion, we needed to become outlaws."

There. I just explained the pirate motif better than Saban ever will.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Go-Busters owns, but Shinkenger owns slightly harder. Tolerate the poo poo subs and watch it.

I finished Shinkenger last night and have to disagree. The appeal of Go Busters for me was that it kind of subverted some of the tropes of Sentai/PR shows - monsters didn't die and suddenly become huge, the big bad wasn't a guy in a rubber suit, the giant robots made a bit of sense, etc. Shinkenger was good, but it fell into all of those tropes, and the sixth ranger and his annoying loving lantern thing didn't help. The final fight with Juzo was cool, and I did enjoy the bait-and-switch with Takeru, but it was nowhere near Go Busters for me.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Takeru is a legitimately compelling and fascinating character, which is amazing because he spends half his screentime swinging plastic toys around.

To make an analogy, I feel that Shinkenger is basically Ocarina of Time, while Go-Busters is more like Majora's Mask.

That is an incredibly nerdy analogy that I am 100% behind, because Majora's Mask was one of my favourite games ever made.

I have to admit I did enjoy Takeru a lot. He didn't get weighed down by too much hero pathos bullshit, and he kept his aloofness pretty much throughout.

Go Busters was amazing, though. gently caress I miss Beet J Stag.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

The morphers (can we call them that with Sentai? Changers? Henshin Devices?) look REALLY big and bulky. I'm not sure how I feel about it

Choo-Choo Changers.

The upcoming Dino Samba vs Go Busters movie looks insane, too. Not only will the Go Busters be appearing, but also the other two Dino based teams. And their megazords. gently caress yeah.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Zedd posted:

Something something Rail Rangers something Grand Central megazord something.

Looking forward to one of the rangers using the incorrect fare to board their zord and getting savagely beaten by a ticket inspector.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

I wonder how much of Don's antics gets into Super Megaforce

Jake has a brain tumor.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Spoiler (if anyone really cares about the plot of Super Megaforce) Robo Knight becomes Barizorg

Hey, that's actually kind of clever.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Funny? Great fights? This year's sentai has been brilliant! Go watch Kyouryuuger. Then never stop watching Kyouryuuger.

God I hope they keep the dancing for the Power Rangers season.

It's dancin' time!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tae posted:

They couldn't even give Gokaiger their due and give them an actual show, don't have high hopes for that adaptation.

Power Rangers Super Go Busters.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I love that red and yellow have these completely debilitating weaknesses, while blue heats up and turns into the Hulk.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

Their belt buckles abbreviate it further to TQG.

Power Rangers Train Quiche Guards, coming 2016.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Go-Busters would certainly support 40 PR episodes. But let's be honest, any adaptation is going to be disappointing. It was almost perfect.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

RBX posted:

Jason was the best red though!

No it's Troy from Megaforce he is so centred

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Which, as we all know, was also the case for In Space. Can't wait for Nick to say they're ending the franchise, it'll make a great third final season.

Please for the love of god let it be Kyouruger. I'd love to see some grimdark dino dancing.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm not entirely sure how, but I've been watching a fuckload of Go-Busters over the past week or so. It's really good, but I can see how it might be lard to localise.

:smug:

I can see them using Go Busters as some allied rangers or something in Dino Samba, if we're lucky. Between the Buddyroids, the morphing footage, the villains, the rangers literally slitting the throats of those mook guys, Blue Buster breaking a monster over his knee, Red Buster's cock issue, and the later monsters literally having MESSIAH painted on their limbs, Go Busters was always going to be a struggle to localise.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cerony posted:

:aaaaa: Why have I never bothered to check out the sentai before! Can't I just pretend that we lost the Megaforce rangers in the invasion and then these guys subsequently appear?

If you're starting with Sentai, try and watch Shinkenger or Go Busters. Toei's gone on a copyright takedown binge on YouTube recently but stuff is slowly coming back.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Shinkenger will spoil you with how amazing it is, despite the fact that the only people who have subbed it suck at their jobs, and around half of what makes Go-Busters great depends on you having seen at least one previous Sentai (preferably more than one.) I recommend Kyoryuger, which literally just finished and is a solid, consistently awesome show.
Don't watch Shinkenger before Gokaiger, unless for some godawful reason you watched all of Samurai without watching Shinkenger, in which case I legitimately pity you.

Yeah actually Kyoruger is a solid starting point as well. Legit looking forward to the final episode and movie. I started with Go Busters after not having watched PR in years and it totally worked, because Go Busters is perfect.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

The Gokai-Oh Megazord is a brave choice of name.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Just stumbled onto a couple of new scans about ToQuger - here be spoilers.

New robots

Sixth ranger

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I know I shouldn't judge the series based solely on designs, but they're making it so hard not to.

I watched an unsubbed version of the first fight and robot fight today. Saban are going to regret skipping Go Busters soooooo much.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Zedd posted:

ChugChugger is so stupidly silly so far, I really hope Saban doesn't intend to play this one straight because they can never pull this one off.

Post-apocalyptic rainbow trains.

They can't board the trains to make the robot unless they swipe their cards and go through a turnstile.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Soooooo

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

...Good luck with that Saban.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

mateo360 posted:

I also broke down and bought a TOQ brace and TOQ-oh

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

God drat it was a mistake not to make Gokaiger it's own series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Is it Saban's or Nickelodeon's fault that Megaforce is the mess that is?

I'm not across it enough to know, but it's such a boneheaded move. Japan gives you this gold-plated gift of a SPACE pirate-themed show with opportunities to do callbacks to classic series, and what do you do? Downplay the pirate theme. I guess kids didn't actually like Pirates of the Caribbean after all.

I mean, you could have some incredible fun with just the image of a huge red flying pirate ship. But nope.