Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh wow, it's been like a year, it's weird how as the series get shorter, the length between updates gets longer and longer, especially now that everything is on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it's just weird that seemed to happen quicker when seasons were fifty episodes each than when they're barely pushing thirty and have more commercial time than ever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At least Johnny Bosch shows up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Turbo was pretty good once they replaced the entire cast.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should just make it a metamovie, with the premise being these five actors are on a cheap kids show where they play superheroes, lots of comedy stuff with how cheap it is and jokes at their expense, then it goes all Galaxy Quest and they have to really be superheroes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The other one I like is

Zach is Red, Screech is Blue, Kelly is Pink, Jessie is Yellow, and Slater is Black.

The evil green ranger would be Bob Golic. After contract disputes Kelly and Jessie would walk off set, and Torrie would become the new pink ranger with Lisa becoming the yellow ranger.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Inkspot posted:

Followed by MMPR: The New Class, where Screech mentors a new team, but most everyone's given up on the series and asks "That's still a thing?" when told of its existence.

Yeah, I think in this analogy the College Years are the first half of Turbo. I have no idea if New Class was any good at all though, so it kind of falls apart since Power Rangers really improved as a show once it started rotating casts. California Dreamin is Super Samurai Syber Squad.

Maybe USA High is Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 17, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know, I'm running out of 90s tween sitcoms. Welcome Freshman?

Edit: And Big Bad Beetleborgs would be Salute your Shorts?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Speaking of In Space, does Lost Galaxy really take place the next year? Is there some assumed period of a few years peace to give Earth time to build Terra venture out of reverse engineered technology of quantron and cog ships and the astro mega ship, make a museum, and presumably have Mitchell building the aquabase and the rescue zords?

Or is the answer "Its a kids show, they built that fuckin city sized spaceship in two months".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If it was 5 - 10 years that would help explain Tommy's doctorate and archaeology career as well as Spike and various other things.

Also poor California would get a break.

MisterBibs posted:

I recall reading a behind-the-scenes thing (I've linked to it in this thread, I think) in which the writer(s) thought about this, adding in some throwaway lines about reverse engineering. The higher-ups got wind of it and slapped down a No Connections To Earlier Series edict.

Other than Bulk, Phenomonous, Astro Megaship, and Alpha 6? Unless you mean LSR which I guess had no direct continuity other than the team up.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 21, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I've been watching Lightspeed Rescue. Two things:
1) If they did the entire long combining sequence for the rescue megazord every time I would not mind at all. It's so cool and ridiculous.
2) Captain Mitchell is Ron loving Swanson, but with a cool scar.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Given the current situation in Gaza, I can't support JewRanger.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Three awful, *AWFUL* neckbeards might have already beat you to it.

http://www.wadejobkar.com/

Just 1.5 of them are awful, really.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You guys should do France Force Five sometime. Some French guys made a series of fan films of sentai in the 2000s. There's only six episodes or so, it is enough of an oddity to be worth watching.

They're all named after French foods too. Like the yellow baguette ranger and the red fromage ranger and so on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The thing I like about Divatox is she doesn't really want to conquer the Earth. The rangers messed with her bigger plans to become a demon queen or whatever and now all she cares about is loving with them and messing with their lives as much as possible. And she's largely successful. Her campaign against them is overall very personal, and that's an interesting change.

Here's my theory on the zeo crystal BTW. Turbo powers aren't based on it, they're based off of Lerigot's magic. Zordon took the zeo crystal with him back to Eltar with the intention of making note rangers there when he left because Zordon makes bad decisions.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Turbo a lot of people stopped watching not necessarily because it was bad, but because they started watching as kids and five years later they were pre teens or full blown teenagers, and it wasn't cool to watch a kids show like Power Rangers. Also Divatox's boobs were a reminder that "Hey, boobs exist, I need to toss aside childish things and go find some more boobs. Just as soon as this scene is over"

But a lot of turbo is bad. Mainly Question Lady and Alpha 6. Alpha 6 was so bad they made it a plot point to change the voice and personality.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Alpha's a robot, robots can't be racist. Just because he uses a particular Edonoian dialect, you guys.

On the plus side Turbo has the first black man to be leader of the power rangers. How many have their been... 2? Him and the SPD guy?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tommy's brother died while piloting the ship that transported Bulk and Alpha 6 back to Earth from Mironoi, which was Pyramidis housing the zeo zords and super zeo zords, all destroyed. The cause was Lokar, but Tommy's brother sacrificed himself to destroy Lokar once and for all, after turning to Bulk and saying "I'm the Phantom Ranger".

And that's how all those plots were tied up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

If anyone is still waiting for Linkara's History of Power Rangers, here's the schedule so far.

Operation Overdrive: August 21st 2014
Jungle Fury: Christmas Day 2014
RPM: March 19th, 2015
Samurai, Megaforce, Dino Charge: TBD

What's hilarious about that series is at the beginning how fast he was cranking them out, back when seasons had like 60+ episodes, and then as the series goes on and seasons get shorter and shorter, and episodes themselves get shorter and shorter, and video feeds of the epiodes become more and more accessible, it takes him longer and longer and longer to do episodes, and every episode he makes is longer than the last, to the point where he's just full out doing a synopsis of every individual episode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't understand the idea that he's past the point where he knows what is or isn't important to the plot and needs to be covered. He is, theoretically, a critic, and he just watched it. After you watch a show, you should pretty much well know what was or wasn't important. You just watched it. You're the critic, what did YOU think was important or stuck out?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Operation Overdrive is like, imagine if instead of one main villain, you have five of them. And each of them has two generals. And every single one of these villains is Elgar.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

Like with Megaforce, can't blame it entirely on the PR crew, as Boukenger had multiple villain teams going for it as well, though being honest, Overdrive and Boukenger both admittedly have the more interesting version of such a concept - multiple villain teams competing at once, rather than lining up one after the other. Hell, you can even give Overdrive some credit for actually bothering to do a fair amount of original footage for the villain interactions (if necessitated by creating a new lead villain with the ice one whose name escapes me). Unfortunately they do fall flat on the execution overall, which is a shame. I mean, otherwise it could have been one of the more memorable seasons, given the relatively unique setup by franchise standards.

Well, I think it's awesome they brought Adam back, the team up was cool, and I liked all the rangers probably except Red generic man, and his boring rich dad, and the ice guy did look pretty cool. That's about all the good I can say about it. So few people ever talk about Jungle Fury because Overdrive probably made them stop watching for a while.

Also I find it funny that SPD has like four red rangers. You got A-squad Red, then Jack, then Sky, then Bridge. I wish they crossed over with SPD again the next year, and Syd shows up to explain how "Birdie got kidnapped, so Doggie who was Birdie went off to look for him, so now Sky is Birdie which was Doggie, Bridge is Doggie which was Sky, and I'm Red."

Then next year "Hi, we've never met, but a bunch of people got promoted and I'm the Red SPD ranger now, my name isn't important."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Rita was in the dumpster 10000 years before being freed. It's time to conquer earth.

I don't really see any plot holes with it. He aged super fast like plenty of villains before him and was put in a dumpster before the z wave. And pretty sure the z wave only affected monsters who were actively attacking the galaxy at the time anyway. Of course when he escaped and looked up mom and dad to find out they were now normal guys/queen of good magic he was a little pissed off.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 12, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Uh, 'all the galaxy' might have been overstating it. Pretty much just got these people standing in this specific crater on the Moon. That's about as far as Zordon's death curse managed to get."

Nah it got to Aquitar, the gold ranger planet, Eltar, and the Blue Senturion's home planet at the least.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bryan Cranston as old Billy Cranston, returning from Aquitar.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

Yikes, a summer 2016 release, that sounds a mite too early given how it's just been announced. I don't want Saban to rush this, isn't that when Batman vs Superman airs.

Batman v Superman is in March, Cap 3 is... can't remember, but also not July.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Basically he has to travel back in time thousands of years to stop time traveling young Lord Zed from destroying Eltar to prevent the power rangers from ever existing, he ends up absorbing all the ranger powers and becomes Zordon.

It's perfect because people who love Tommy will eat it up, while people even mildly ambivalent will go insane.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
20 minutes of the movie's run time is credits. 50 minutes of the movie's runtime is one extremely long morphing sequence where Tommy uses every single morpher ever in the show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
edit wrong thread

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah cg zords shouldn't be a problem in 2015.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Didn't they already say the budget for this will be around $120 million?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just watched Linkara's latend on Operation Overdrive. I thought we was extremely off the mark on the crossover episode. His big complaint which he goes on about for five minutes is that these rangers just give up and go home when they lose their powers, but just five minutes before that he played the scene where they don't, in fact, give up, and go and try to fight the monsters by themselves. They only go home after they've been suitably replaced and their mission appears clearly in good hands. It's entirely different. I say this as someone who hated Operation Overdrive and didn't even particularly love that episode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

Man, it'd be great if Dino Charge turned out completely different then the other Saban 2.0 seasons.

This is season 5 of Saban 2.0 so I predict it will start off terrible, pick up towards the end, and then seasons 6 through 10 will be gold for the most part, and the show gets purchased by Comcast/NBC/Time Warner as a flagship for a new kids network they make.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

Official word says that was unintentional. Will being the Black Overdrive Ranger and a self admitted thief with anger issues is much harder to justify however.

I think they were thinking "if a black person can never be black ranger, that's also racist" to which they have somewhat of a point, but then they said "he's also a thief". It's when you have multiple coolor = race it becomes a problem I think. If it had been just Zack is black and Trini was pink, or just Trini was yellow and Zack was blue, I don't think people would have cared.

We ended up with a weird Asian or Hispanic male rangers are always black or green rule.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ah yeah. I guess that doesn't hold up. I was probably just thinking mainly of Adam, Carlos, and Danny., which is not even a third the series.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey now, the first white ranger was a native American! Apparently!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let's just track it all:

Red: White, Hispanic, "Native American", Black, White, White, White, White, Puerto Rican, Samoan, White, Trinidadian/Grenadan, Lebanese, White, Black, White, White
Yellow: Asian, Black, White, Black, White, White, White, Black, Brazilian, White, White, White, White, White, White, White, White
Blue: White, Black, Hispanic, White, Black, Asian, Asian, Filipino, Black, White, Black, White, White, Filipino/Hispanic, Asian, Asian, White, Black, White
Pink: White, White, Asian, White, White, White, White, White, Hispanic?, Filipino, Asian, (?)
Black: Black, Asian, White, Hispanic, Hispanic, "Native American", Black, White, Hispanic?
Green: "Native American", Asian, Hispanic, Hispanic, Black, Asian, Asian, White, White, White, Hispanic
White: Native American, White, Hispanic, Hispanic, White, White, White

So the whitest ranger color is actually Yellow, and the least white ranger is actually Blue. Red is actually split about evenly. Actually I didn't count dino charge, so it is split exactly evenly between white/nonwhite. I also didn't count Quantum Red or Crimson Red, which also evens out.

I also didn't include various sixth rangers in this list like Silver, Mercury, Titanium, Gold etc unless they were specifically the "X color" ranger. Though that seems to be mostly white, with a dog in there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bring back Walter Jones and Hip Hop Kido.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

Did you see this guy? (from the PYF Cosplay thread)

No Alpha 5, F-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would Rita make alpha grow? Come on man, think!