Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Because it belonged to the pink ranger theoretically. Tommy only shared it with her because the falconzord was captured.

No, the White Shogunzord always belonged to Tommy. The storyline reason for White sharing with Pink was that Kimberly was also captured, and after Kimberly was rescued, the Rangers stole the zords from Zedd and tied them to the power coins, but they still didn't have the pink coin back.

As far as I know, the only explanation ever offered for the toy being painted pink was that Bandai and/or Saban were worried people wouldn't think it was a Power Rangers toy if it didn't have a pink zord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

One of the newest comics even pointed this out, with Rocky feeling he wasn't living up to Jason's legacy and colour because Tommy was the leader instead. Jason had to break him out of his funk and point out he's still an excellent Ranger.

It happened in Zeo, too, right after Jason's return. Rocky felt doubly replaced and picked a one-on-one fight with Mondo to try to prove that he's a good enough Ranger.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

And he failed miserably as I recall but I think some of the others wound up giving him a pep talk to smooth things over

Oh, yeah, he gets his rear end kicked and the Rangers have to figure out the Super Zeo Megazord to take out Mondo. But on the other hand, they do take out Mondo, so good job, Rocky! (But on the other other hand, he comes back later.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Adam was the best one of the three but that’s not really saying much (and I think even he took a little while to develop a personality).

I saw JYB speak at a convention a few years ago and he actually talked about this a bit. IIRC, all three of them realized early on that very little personality was getting put into the scripts. But he also realized that, between timing constraints and the general "it's a kid's show" attitude, the directors generally didn't care much about anyone's acting if they weren't a focal point of the scene. So he just started ignoring the direction and acting his own way, and not only did he rarely get called out or asked to redo it, the things he did started to show up in scripts as "Adam's personality."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Burkion posted:

Yeah and I cannot blame the creative team too heavily on this- this had to be a nightmare to plan and keep up with.

Its still really cool how he picked up the ball on it

Yeah, and given how they were inexperienced actors overall (he was an 18-year-old in his first real acting role) who were hired to do some martial arts and then transition to the sentai footage, it's hard to fault the directors and producers for saying "good enough! next scene!" more often than they might otherwise. Low expectations lead to higher freedom, I suppose.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, from what I heard JYB and Nakia Burrise were actually willing to stay but Saban decided to just replace everybody except Justin for some reason (kind of surprised JDF wanted to leave though given how weirdly attached to the franchise he is nowadays)

I've always heard that Catherine Sutherland wanted to stay, too. I know she's said Turbo was her favorite season to actually work on, and then suddenly she wasn't a Power Ranger anymore. As I understood it, JDF asked to leave (which, yeah, weird in hindsight, but he's a weird guy), Saban decided that if Tommy was going, all four of them were going, and then the other three found out one morning when they were in makeup and one of the artists said "hey, did you see the ads for auditions for new Rangers?"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I genuinely admire his gumption at doing that after hearing he basically learned to act on set.

That was a big part of it: being such a newbie let him be like "eh, I don't know what I'm doing anyway, why not do it this way?"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I love the morphed, but find the key gimmick extremely lame.

Same. I thought maybe I was just an old.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

I saw JYB speak at a convention a few years ago

Same convention, trying to tell the story as best I can remember: he was talking about what JDF was like to work with and told a story from filming the first movie. The two of them were out walking and saw a tree that had that picturesque curve to its trunk. Johnny pointed it out and said it looked nice. JDF looked, thought for a second, and said, "I'm gonna run up it."

Johnny asked something sensible, like what the hell are you talking about, how are you going to run up it, what are you going to do when you're upside down, something like that. And JDF just said, "nah, it's cool, I'll do a backflip and you can catch me and guide me down!" Without another word, he went and did it. And in the space of a second and a half, JYB had three thoughts:

1) I don't want to get hurt.
2) Jason outweighs me by legitimately forty or fifty pounds.
3) I have no idea what he means by "catch him and guide him down."

So he watched as JDF ran up the tree, kicked off into a backflip, and landed flat on his face, then just was like, "sorry, man... I was out of position..."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

roffels posted:

Genuine question, I heard some people mention he didn't seem well at the last Power Morphicon. I looked up some videos, and there's a ton of footage of him mentioning he's tired of covering up his tattoos, and that someone thought he doesn't fit the image expected of him. Did whomever owns the Power Rangers IP these days give him poo poo over his appearance?

Since coming back for Forever Red, he's had to cover his tattoos, which is why from then on he's always in long sleeves and bulky jackets.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Has there been any word on Minh possibly coming back as well?

Didn't they say Cosmic Fury and O&A are completely separate other than a couple of throwaway references?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FWIW, I've gotten the exact opposite response from literally everyone I know who watches (who have universally said "DF is really bad even for PR, don't waste your time") so I wonder what the thread liked that they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

So I was thinking of finally giving the Boom comics a shot, how much do the various spin-offs and specials tie back into the main series (if at all)?

I'm probably like a year behind, but IIRC, almost all of the comics outside of the main series at least get referenced in the main series, and I think a couple are directly plot-relevant. The crossovers less so. But I also don't think any of the spin-offs and specials and crossovers that I read were bad or uninteresting, so you don't gain much by skipping them.

Larryb posted:

For that matter, are any of the PR comics prior to Boom worth checking out in your opinion (I know MMPR got a few back in the day but I forget who the publisher was)?

From what I've seen, no, not really, they err too strongly on the side of Being For Kids.