Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be the nerdiest post I've ever made and I fully expect it to end up in goons.txt, but whatever.

Anyone who wants to get into Sentai should check out this YouTube channel, which has eight completed subbed series. Unfortunately, all but one of them is from TV-Nihon, whose subs are basically

but unironically.
However, that shouldn't stop you from watching Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, which, in addition to having awesome choreography, has possibly the greatest Red of all time, both in terms of competency and being extremely compelling as a character.
Someone mentioned how Megaforce treats children as idiots. The same was true of Samurai, the previous season and Shinkenger's adaptation. Not content to water down some of the more intense plot elements (two extreme examples that aren't major spoilers are that a child jumping off a roof was changed to him throwing away his baseball equipment, and a monster's plan to kill a dozen schoolgirls with an axe was changed to stealing toys), it also extensively white-washed the more Japanese elements of the series, from understandable things like changing Blue's past as a kabuki performer to him once being a competitive swimmer, to much more ridiculous things like changing the Sixth Ranger from a sushi seller to a grilled fish salesman. Also, no one shuts up for more than two seconds during a fight scene, because apparently kids will change the channel unless someone is talking at all times. This tends to ruin the more dramatic fights from the Sentai.
Shinkenger isn't perfect, it hits about a 10-episode slump after the halfway point, and there's a few episodes in particular that are just lazily resolved by introducing a new toy, but the last 10 episodes are absolutely fantastic and make it absolutely clear that this is one of the years in Sentai where they wanted to tell a genuinely engaging story with characters you could care about in addition to being a toy commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.264831163553463.55681.264825893553990&type=3

That's another link to watch some series.

Gokaiger was the first series I watched with no prior sentai knowledge and it was awesome. Everything from the story to the fights was very good and high quality. One episode in particular had a very special villain and due to translation differences I called him a name that made the thing even funnier. If you only watch one sentai let it be Gokaiger.
Actually, it spoils the ending twists of both Shinkenger and Jetman, so watch those first.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

Either that or don't, saying you need to watch a hundred other episodes before watching the series is a little ridiculous. Especially in Shinkenger's case because you are likely to not understand or forget what exactly is brought up before going back to watch it after Gokaiger anyway. Not only that but in the time it would take to get through them someone's likely to have already spoiled the twists anyways in this thread or in discussion at the place you download from or wherever.
In that case, I'd recommend watching Shinkenger before Gokaiger simply because it's the better series.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is all you need to know about Kyoryuger

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

Shinkenger is the only Sentai I've ever gotten my girlfriend to watch with me from beginning to end which is a miracle in and of its self. Everything just comes together perfectly, the story, the characters, the action, it's all just so well done. I probably wouldn't hate Samurai so much if it hadn't taken pure gold and turned it to poo poo.

Gokaiger is a series that could have been so much more if the majority of the episodes didn't focus on guest stars and nostalgia. Saying that, it's still one of the best Sentai's in a long time. Not only is each character well developed, it also features possibly the best fighting choreography of any Sentai before or after.
Gokaiger's biggest problem is a natural result of the reason it's so loving awesome: you simply can't have a fully realized cast of new, individual characters and at the same time properly pay tribute to the last 34 years of the franchise. This affects the action sequences as well, where, despite being consistently well-choreographed, every fight involving the Gokaigers base form is pretty much exactly the same thing. It's only when they change into previous teams and combinations thereof where things get interesting. But again, this is the natural result of the show's premise, because it simply isn't possible to show off 34 previous teams and still give the new team enough variety to stand on its own.
Basically Gokaiger's awesome if you only care about the fight scenes, but when it comes to having fully defined characters or a dramatic arc that feels genuine rather than tacked on or superficial, it simply doesn't hold up.

And for the record, I know that Super Sentai, and Power Rangers, is designed by toy companies for the purpose of selling toys. I don't expect it to have any artistic integrity. But when it does have it, like it does with Shinkenger, I'm going to give it proper recognition.

Edit: Fun Fact: It is a violation of FCC regulations for advertisements for Power Rangers merchandise to air during Power Rangers, because that would make the show an infomercial under the law.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 27, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Gokaiger also has better Gekiranger choreography than Gekiranger itself. I watched that series because every time those suits get used in Gokaiger it's loving amazingly stylish, but when I watched the actual series every single fight, except for the very last one, was consistently underwhelming.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I won't contest that Gokaiger's robot fights are poo poo, but when it comes to looking at fight choreography, it's all about the spandex suits.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Beyond all that, you still have to make up a whole plotline because there's no way Nickelodeon these days would let them get away with a story nearly as dark and depressing as GoBusters' was.
Counterpoint: The murder-suicide in Legend of Korra.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

The Go-busters story wasn't that dark and could easily be watered down enough to work for PR. Aside for Time force, and Samurai Pr has always done its own thing when it comes to adapting Sentai anyway.
Wild Force was a pretty loving straight forward adaptation of Gaoranger. Allegedly that's because the guy who played the Red Ranger is a huge Sentai fan, and insisted that the story match its source whenever possible. He also starred in Samurai, and I guess that explains why that show was basically a shot-for-shot remake of Shinkenger except with all the Japanese elements and also good writing sucked out.
He's also a huge tool.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Holy crap, Megaforce was awful today. Awful in a Tommy Wiseau way. Good show.
Well now you've piqued my curiosity. Details?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

The Dairangers didn't really get a focus episode in Gokaiger if I remember correctly so its not even like they have much of the footage left to use.
You don't, they did get a tribute. Every series after but not including Zyuranger did (if you count the team-up movie as a Goseiger tribute), and so did Liveman and Jetman. J.A.K.Q. also got an episode that was all but a tribute.

Also FivePink is in the first Legend War dream sequence for a split second, because Saban cheaped out and didn't loving get new footage like the hype said they would, further confirming the current iteration of Power Rangers as a cheap knockoff of the respective Super Sentai season, with no distinctive identity. Just Americanized Super Sentai, that's it.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 3, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

Ahh but there you are loving up, Zyuranger did get a tribute episode right at the end, but the only tribute part was Goshi showing up for a second to save some random civilians. A lot of the series seemed to get ones like that.
A tribute episode requires a full team Gokai Change, which didn't happen in that episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Alright, that scene of people around the world being affected by the music was amazing.
...what kind of amazing?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they manage to pull it off.
Shoddily?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zedd posted:

I hope the current Sentai's robot's make a big universal clusterfuck again. :allears:
I want Samurai Ha-Oh * G12 Formation in terms of silliness.

(How did they end up naming Ha-Oh anyway in the states? Samurai throne or something?)
Samurai Ultrazord.

Yeah, they really didn't try at all.

Also, if it's a clusterfuck you want, then get a load of this:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Update on trainwreck: No Power Rangers Exclusive Ranger Keys in "Super Megaforce"
Also, the Reds of SPD and Ninja Storm have both confirmed that they will not be appearing in Super Mega Force.

Some people are taking this news like a mature adult would (well, as mature as any adult who watches Power Rangers can be).

quote:

They. Don't. Care.

The TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC do not know who these people are. Why would they waste money trying to impress you adults, who will buy their merch regardless of how much you moan online.
Others...

quote:

except they SHOULD care because if the new kids see these old actors then they will want to watch all the old shows. which mean interest in toys and other crap that Saban can sell them! its about history drat it! that's like saying nobody needs to learn about the wars of the past because they didn't live back then. its just Saban being lazy assholes who disrespect everyone involved. this is a time when both Sentai fans and Power Ranger fans and fans of both need to work together and tell Saban to stop being freaking stupid and stop this show right now because its clear they can't do it justice. I would rather my children sit down and watch the old MMPR on DVD or do a marathon on Netflix then support this era's "Saban"

I loving love this poo poo.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
David Yost, aka Billy, has declined an invitation to appear in Super Megaforce on the grounds of why the gently caress do you think?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

gyrobot posted:

The original attempt to adapt Super Sentai was using Jetman iirc.
They were going to, but then Saban saw that the next season would be loving DINOSAURS, and smartly decided to hold off.

Though I do wish that Jetman had been the basis for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, because oh my god imagine how people checking out Jetman out of nostalgia for Power Rangers would react to that series.

Edit: I think Battleizers are made because they want to have PR-original in-suit footage, and pay for the cost of it by having it be done mainly with PR-exclusive toys.
The PR-exclusive villains (who are always actors with their faces exposed rather than stuntmen in suits, Zedd being the obvious exception) are often done because the production team decides to diverge from the story of the Sentai they're adapting in some way.
These two things often intersect. Any time past the Upgrade Point of the season where there's a fight with a PR=exclusive villain, you bet your poo poo that the Battleizer is getting used.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 25, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I thought Dekaranger was poorly written
Well the problem is that you're watching TV-N subs. Unless someone else did Dekaranger.

Also Dairanger is worth it for the suitless rollcall. First time it was done, still hasn't been matched.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 2, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I love the idea of a man binging through 50 episodes of a Japanese toy commercial because it's literally his job, his face growing grimmer by the hour as he slowly realizes that they spaceships aren't going to go to space and the timeships aren't going to travel through time.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"gently caress you, obsessive fans!" shouts Saban.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

I still have my original Megazord from when I was young but missing parts to my Dragonzord but drat these are expensive. I don't really know about toys enough to know if its justified or not.
They're all so cheap! So expensively cheap!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Rush posted:

Does anyone know where I could see episodes of Power Rangers Samurai? I missed everything after Lauren's reveal and got curious as to how it ended.
Get a memory wipe and watch Shinkenger.

Also, Japan is going to be airing dubbed episodes of Samurai, which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zonekeeper posted:

I think there was one series that got higher ratings than the original when it was re-imported to Japan. Re-importing PR series is an actual thing in Japan.
Oh yeah I know, it's just that Samurai is loving horrible and there's literally no reason to bring it over.

Unless Japan really loving loves Bulk and Skull.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The novelty of watching a bunch of westerners somehow be samurai? Plus those ridiculous armors for zord-operating? Japan will love it and wonder why they didn't think of it first.

Are they getting the Shinkenger cast to dub their Power Ranger counterparts? I remember reading the Dekaranger cast did that for SPD.
Unlike the Dekaranger cast, the Shinkenger cast will not be involved with the Samurai dub, which is great, because I don't want to hear Genta talk about his love for grilled fish.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: After reading about turning Megaranger and Gingaman into space themed shows, I really wanna read about how they turned Go-onger into RPM.
A brilliant "gently caress everything" attitude.

Man, imagine what they could have done with Shinkenger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

They can't possibly mess up the Gobuster roll call right? Right?
"Red Cheetah Ranger!"
"Blue Gorilla Ranger!"
"Yellow Rabbit Ranger!"
"Gold Armored Ranger!"
"Silver Armored Ranger!"
"Power Rangers... MOVE OUT!"

I for one, look forward to Power Rangers: Glasses Beasts in 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

I just finished watching Go-Busters. Oh man.

Jin... :( How the gently caress did this dumb Japanese kid's show make me care about a character dying?
Go-Busters owns, but Shinkenger owns slightly harder. Tolerate the poo poo subs and watch it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I want the Giga Gaburevolver henshin music for my ringtone.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This will all be worth it if we see Battle Fever J in Power Rangers.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

I finished Shinkenger last night and have to disagree. The appeal of Go Busters for me was that it kind of subverted some of the tropes of Sentai/PR shows - monsters didn't die and suddenly become huge, the big bad wasn't a guy in a rubber suit, the giant robots made a bit of sense, etc. Shinkenger was good, but it fell into all of those tropes, and the sixth ranger and his annoying loving lantern thing didn't help. The final fight with Juzo was cool, and I did enjoy the bait-and-switch with Takeru, but it was nowhere near Go Busters for me.
Takeru is a legitimately compelling and fascinating character, which is amazing because he spends half his screentime swinging plastic toys around.

To make an analogy, I feel that Shinkenger is basically Ocarina of Time, while Go-Busters is more like Majora's Mask.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

I love that red and yellow have these completely debilitating weaknesses, while blue heats up and turns into the Hulk.
Yellow's weakness is that she is the worst ever at coping with diabetes.
Get a loving beeper!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Pffffhahahhahahha

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's adorable that you all think Saban's going to keep the Samba music.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

Hell, I think adapting Gokaiger would be far more difficult a task.
That would be true if they needed 40 episodes of material instead of just 20.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

If you're starting with Sentai, try and watch Shinkenger or Go Busters. Toei's gone on a copyright takedown binge on YouTube recently but stuff is slowly coming back.
Shinkenger will spoil you with how amazing it is, despite the fact that the only people who have subbed it suck at their jobs, and around half of what makes Go-Busters great depends on you having seen at least one previous Sentai (preferably more than one.) I recommend Kyoryuger, which literally just finished and is a solid, consistently awesome show.
Don't watch Shinkenger before Gokaiger, unless for some godawful reason you watched all of Samurai without watching Shinkenger, in which case I legitimately pity you.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Saban just gets lazier and lazier. Check out the :51 mark.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's the fact that I didn't sleep at all last night and this has been an extremely stressful day independent of that, but this is loving hilarious.
The fact that they did this, I mean. Not the terrible dialogue.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that the first appearance of the MMPR suits in Super Megaforce is going to be them getting the poo poo beaten out of them, since Saban was too cheap to give them original footage in episode 1.

I'd also like to point out that in the official anniversary season we saw the Dairanger suits before the MMPR suits.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dino Charge bumped to 2016