Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
I've really got to know this but what the hell was the theme of the sentai that Dino Charge adapted? Was it really dinosaur battery themed like it is in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tae posted:

Yes, but they danced to transform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PstF3vJDmHw
Wow Im surprised that they kept the announcer.

jivjov posted:

Yup, although the batteries themselves kinda got short shrift after the first handful of episodes.
Makes sense given that its one of the most absurd themes I have ever heard of in my passing interest of this genre.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

jivjov posted:

As far as Toku gimmicks go, batteries aren't that far out there. The last season of Kamen Rider had fruit padlocks that conjured fruit-themed plate armor.

No the battery theme is a bit more absurd than fruit plate armor because I can see that going places and having room to play with.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Testekill posted:

That was in space that had the crossover.
I missed this but I'd figure I'd correct this. Lost Galaxy was the one that had the crossover.
EDIT:
Huh? I swear there was a goofy rear end crossover in Lost Galaxy but what can I be thinking of?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

panda at least fits with the chinese theme going on with the mech

dolphin uhhhhh maybe america is known for dolphins in japan? pretty sure the dolphin is kinji's
Ninja and dolphins might just be a Hurricaranger reference.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Venomous posted:

Once again, Linkara wasn't kidding. He's just released the History of Power Rangers Megaforce.
What the hell happened between Megaforce and Dino Charge that the show quality skyrocketed?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

So Im working on a project and Im kind of wondering what everyone's favorite sentai/power ranger characters are. So far Gai and Akira are on the list. I haven't watched much sentai beyond that so Im wondering what other characters are memorable besides the ultimate fanboy and the weirdest fatalist.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Morby posted:

I did enjoy the episode with the girl and the cactus. That was pretty great. And also the episode where Houka plans to get married.
I found the cactus episode and sweet jesus I kind of want to watch it given how goofy it was in the first 30 seconds.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sentai is always about Red. Red is the locus of destiny, always. Like, is there a Sentai where Red isn't either the leader or the guy who has enough guts/sheer stupidity to get things done?
Akira's entire stick from Toqger is that he has too much guts and sheer stupidity.

Some Numbers posted:

Intergalactic gamers. Subtle difference.
I thought they were big game hunters which ironically makes it a huge pun.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 21, 2016

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Reminds me of how I used to really enjoy Time Force, then went and watched Timeranger subbed and was like...wow this is a lot like Time Force but done better.
Wait really? When does it get good because the villain in that show seemed so cheesy and bad that it was kind of painful to watch? I legitimately wasn't expecting an Italian stereotype to be the villain.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

WickedHate posted:

If you can't handle silly villains, Super Sentai may not be for you. Sentai is often a lot darker than Power Rangers, but it's also a lot goofier, which PR replaces with PG-13 edge. (I don't intend that as criticism, I like PR too)
I can handle silly villains. Its just that I found that guy sillier than anything in what had to have been the silliest sentai in ages which is amazing too because that pegged both ends of the spectrum in terms of dark and goofiness.

Burkion posted:

It's really hard to find a Super Sentai with a REALLY good ending.

Hell, apply that to Toku all over.

I feel like that from what I've seen Sentai has just really bad pacing. Zyuogher has a really interesting plot but the pacing of it is 3 or 4 of filler with 1 of plot.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 16, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

asymmetrical posted:

Have there been any recent articles / interviews / etc. about Toei's recent relationship with Disney and Saban? All I know is back in the MMPR-era they helped Saban out quite a bit, so I'm curious how things may have shifted - or if they even care anymore.
Apparently, they approached Saban in regards to the newest Sentai series.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

So apparently Kyoyuger was so successful in Korea its getting a sequel series called Power Rangers Dino Force. I kind of want to watch it given to see what the rational for the updated mecha are which are the original designs with weapons stuck on them. Gabutyra has a machine gun and another one of them has a chainsaw.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

I think they all have guns now. Especially Parasagun.
Wow.... Though this does bring up an interesting question. Why is it called Power Rangers?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Ooo gently caress... I forgot Skull and Bulk turned into monkeys.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

A clip show in the first episode that is a first....

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Tae posted:

Dog is way, way improved in the american version which is surprising Disney gave it so much budget.
Wasn't that because they mistakenly thought he was the sixth ranger?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

The bad guys just ordered pizza.....

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

I didn't realize the did a dancing mecha robot joke in the new movies trailer.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

The piranhatron theme is amazing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

eh megaranger isn't really a video game themed show, it's about modern technology in general(well modern by mid 90s japan standards)

buuuuuut i can sorta see people getting that misconception from the first episode
I only just noticed this from watching Megaranger and seeing In Space but isn't the back of their jackets and the belt buckle supposed to be an envelope to represent email?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Ha, lovely MORPHING COMPLETE badly imposed over the MEGA[COLOR].
They missed a few mega[color] earlier when they were in the VR chamber.

Brother Entropy posted:

poo poo i never caught that, i thought it was just a vaguely M-ish shape for mega
Everyone who draws the symbol on the internet draws it as a stylized envelope so who knows.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Talow posted:

And there goes the entirety of Angel Grove's space budget.
You would think that but Lost Galaxy says otherwise.....

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

I remember watching the show that this was a crossover with....

Talow posted:

You know, I thought the ninja turtles thing was a joke, I didn't think you literally meant there was a crossover with TMNT. :allears:
Not just any TMNT. The ones from a short lived Fox live action show. Hence the reason why Venus De Milo exists.
EDIT:
What the gently caress? Why the hell do the Ninja Turtles know Andromeda and not know that the Power Rangers exist?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

It's a Toei production so hahahahahaha gently caress no.
What are they spending it on because honestly In Space isn't that much worst than the current Sentai?
EDIT:
Not a knock on Kyuranger but jeez you can tell they are trying a lot of what is a fairly shoe string budget and even lampshaded it in the show.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Its shellquake time?

Talow posted:

Ok, the majority of it. For this year at least. Also, never seen a single episode of Lost Galaxy personally.
Once you watch the first episode of Lost Galaxy you'll realize that its about .0000000000000000000000000000001% of the budget.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 18, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

So from what little I've seen of Megaranger the Astromegaship set is completely new to In Space right?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Turns out that Andros's home planet was Japan.
Excuse me..... You mean Space Japan.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

They're still in high school?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Wait why the hell does the mad scientist have a nuke? I missed that part....

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

There is a nuclear reactor in a skyscraper. A nuclear reactor in a skyscraper. :psyduck: Why is the reactor also on the top floor?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 18, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Talow posted:

One benefit to it not being one mech per ranger: You don't need all 5 to actually make the megazoid. kinda useful if poo poo like "Stuck on a date with someone do to blackmail" ever comes up.
Or you could remote control it. Though what was the Megaranger rational as to why the zord was remote controlled because the Wiki doesn't say so.
EDIT:
Was that a Mice and Men reference? Goerge and Lenny.....

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Talow posted:

The AI was literally controlling the space ship. D.E.C.A. or something like that. it and Alpha was controlling the mech to the best of their abilities.

Which is to say... not very well outside of making the mech in the first place.
Yeah but that was a direct adaptation of a Megaranger episode where its remotely controlled. I was wondering what the original Sentai plot was.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

if i remember right the mech in megaranger was a fully manned base so the rando support staff could kinda sorta autopilot it(but not as well as the five teenagers with attitude, natch)
I thought in Megaranger they just threw random mooks into the mecha to pilot them and not have an AI do it. Weirdly enough the only episode I've seen of Megaranger is the Megavoyager episode. Also the mech fight in that episode was brutal...
EDIT:
Did they create an entire new mook?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 18, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Talow posted:

Yeah my bad, thought the megaranger and carranger stuff was nicknames, not actual different shows.
Its the shows from which Power Rangers is borrowing footage from. Megaranger is the season that In Space is adapting from and Carranger is Turbo.

Brother Entropy posted:

the megavoyager two parter might be my top two episodes of sentai period

watch megaranger yall
Its a good episode and really dramatic. Also, arguably the best mecha fight I've seen from the series.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Do they have Previously On and Next Time segments now to cut down on the amount of original footage they have to shoot?

That and its the first serialized PR show.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

I'm fully expecting Kyuuranger to be skipped as well, considering like Go-Busters it's allegedly designed with Power Rangers in mind.

Three years of Ninja Steel :allears:
Unlike Go-Busters Kyurrangers had collaboration between the US and Japan. Also for as much as people say Go-Busters was specifically made for Power Rangers its may have been just random references like how Dekaranger used SPD's Swat mode at one point.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

He lost his powers dam it. He lost his powers.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

ToQger was a good show with a solid story and good characters. It was also a little too long, but goddamn do I love the Shadow Line getting all that luscious screen time. I actually really liked Zett's obsession with light, it made him way more interesting of a big bad, especially how much he genuinely liked Right.

As sentai go, it was really solid and made a ton of internal sense. And the insanity of the final fight in ToQ 7gou :allears:
Yeah Zed was interesting because at the end the series had you wondering if Right was tempering Zed's evil nature given that they were partially fused together.
EDIT:
I legitimately like this fight between Andromeda and the Zane.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Tae posted:

Oh, you new people have to see the zords
They lampshade that in one of the episodes which is amazing.