Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interestingly enough, Zyuranger was not the first sentai that was adapted for english audiences. Back in the 80's USA aired a parody dub of Dynaman, it only lasted for 6 episodes but here you go.

There was also a complete english dub of Bioman that aired in the Philippines. You can find it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

I gave up on Goseiger after a couple of episodes when it was first broadcast, so I never realized that there were three waves of main villains before the end. Now I'm much more intrigued as to how Saban is going to work the rest of the season, since they main boss is still alive at this point.

I don't expect the show to get any better, but intellectually I'm intrigued as to how they are going to plot this.

Especially considering that according to wikipedia both seasons combined will be 40 episodes long (which probably means 20 episodes for Goseiger and 20 for Gokaiger). It'll be interesting to see how they manage to pull it off.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 1, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah pretty much. It's really just a question of how much of a trainwreck this turns out to be, especially when we get to the second half.

Also I'm hoping the fact that this and Samurai have almost the exact same theme song is just some ill-conceived attempt at nostalgia and they make something different for the eventual Go-Busters adaption. The whole role call thing they've been doing in the opening is kind of annoying too.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 1, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I don't have the details on hand, but there was some clause about having to adapt every season in order to maintain the rights.

I thought it was Goseiger they originally wanted to skip?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

And this makes me wonder if cameos would only be in a couple episodes.

Most likely seeing as unless they start the Gokaiger adaption late in the current season Super Megaforce will only be about 20 episodes long. Even if it doesn't kill the series outright this still promises to be a spectacular trainwreck at the very least.

Why exactly did they decide to cram Goseiger and Gokaiger into one series rather than do them seperately again?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 11, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Megaforce even running new episodes currently? Last I saw it just kind of stopped with Episode 9.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can only assume they kept the Zyuranger suits for so long because Daigo's suit is green and they didn't want to confuse kids when Zack's black outfit changed colours and no one else did. And then they skipped Kakuranger, which did have a black costume and no green, finally changing costumes in Zeo which did not have black but had green instead :v: Their insistance on a continuity between seasons hosed them over hard for splicing random things together and hoping it came out coherantly, when Sentai mostly just shrugs and goes "totally new universe" every year, with some notable exceptions.

Also, Shouji is the best Dairanger and those costumes are pretty cool. And the Gouma generals are amazing, being themed after fasteners :allears:

Technically all the Kakuranger suits were used in Power Rangers. The 5 main Kakurangers became the Alien Rangers and Ninjaman became Ninjor.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 1, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

All these years, and they still can't get the Dragon Shield right for the American version.

What was the reason for that anyway? Did Saban just get the suit but not the shield for some reason? I know they didn't lose it because the Green Ranger is still wearing the orginal in the Zyu2 footage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

In Time Force Pink was the leader, right? I thought it was a funny clash how in the American footage the pink ranger was totally in charge, but in the Japanese footage the red ranger was.

I believe Pink was technically the leader in Timeranger as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well this looks better then the first half I'll give it that much. Though I will miss the voice calling out the team name in Gokaiger I did kind of like that they used the morphing call of the teams they were transforming into (Ex: "Go Go Samurai!" and "Magical Source, Mystic Force!") This will still probably be a trainwreck but I have to admit I didn't hate what I saw.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 10, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Holy poo poo, this is so lazy and makes no perfect sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMH6R3QPrH8

So they just took a scene from Gokaiger, translated it and substituted the American actors? Has Power Rangers ever done this before(Not counting the morphed footage of course)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I find it incredibly silly that they insist on using the Goseiger suits just as a means for them to walk to the monster and then just go straight to Gokaiger mode. For the most part it just looks out of place. They kept Gosei and the same cast, there's no reason to have the Goseiger suits around as another tie to the last season.

Was there any particular reason they decided to make the Gokaiger suits just an alternate mode? It seems to me that it would just be easier for all concerned if they just flat out ditched the Goseiger suits for a brand new set of powers to begin with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Solaris Knight posted:

Decade's also laden with continuity stuff

Honestly, Masked Rider may have crashed horribly, but Beetleborgs and Dragon Knight were surprisingly popular, and Saban/Bandai would benefit from more money flow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Saban have nothing to do with Dragon Knight?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Yeah, just got done watching him punch his way out of a Gouma monster while screaming "Kujaku!" and crying. I like Daigo and I even like the Kujaku subplot, but man has that thing gotten pretty overblown and intense quickly :emo:

Shouji and Kou are probably my two favorite characters at this point.

And thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'll definitely give Jetman a shot, and if I'm not all Sentai'ed out by that point, I may move on to Kakuranger, Shinkenger, or Gokaiger. I also have a perverse sense of curiousity about Ohranger...I have fond memories of the early Zeo episodes, they were the last bit of PR that I watched. I've heard Ohranger is garbage though, and it hasn't been fully subbed yet, right?

As far as I know only 5 episodes of Ohranger have been subbed and nobody's picked the series back up since then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zyuranger is probably a good starting point in most respects. As far as Power Rangers vs Super Sentai goes it's kind of a toss up for me. I personally thought Lord Zedd was a better villian then the Gorma Tribe from Dairanger (or at least a more entertaining one). I like Kakuranger but MMPR Season 3 had its moments. Ohranger from what I've seen isn't bad per-se but I kind of liked Zeo better. Conversely, Turbo was where I started to lose interest in the franchise but Carranger is one of my favourite Sentai series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 27, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Zyuranger is fun but I can see how it would be a bit lackluster compared to other Sentai, considering that most of the time it revolves around the Zyurangers helping elementary school children with all their problems. From the episodes I've seen anyway.

Bandora and her gang are the true stars of that show as far as I'm concerned. I personally found the rangers themselves to be pretty bland for the most part.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can understand finding Mai or Dan boring and flat, but how can you say the same for Goushi? You're a monster.

To be fair, Goushi and maybe Burai were alright and Boi had his moments but that was pretty much it. Geki, however, was one of the worst leaders in Sentai history, his obsession with his brother and over-emotional behavior ended up actually putting his team and everyone else in danger more then once to the point where in one episode Goushi had to literally beat some sense into him. Personally, I always felt Goushi should have been in command seeing as he was one of the few members of the team with any sense.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 29, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

greatn posted:

First In Space podcast broken for anyone else? After about three minutes it just blanks out into a sin wave.

Yeah I'm having the same problem. The audio cuts out after about the first minute and stays that way for the rest of the podcast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I honestly really like this. Yeah, "Go, Go, Power Rangers" and "Rangers Forever ... All together" are still there but the additional lyrics actually sort of make them work. It's sort of like the Zeo theme in that regard, famillar yet somewhat unique in it's own way. Hopefully the rest of the season will show a bit more effort this time as well, it looks promising at the moment what with the new theme and actually doing an original villian this time instead of just dubbing over the Deboss Legion (though I have a feeling those suits will probably show up in Dino Charge eventually). So yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about this so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 28, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Sentai news, the Ninninger suits have finally been revealed:

Male Yellow, first White since Gekiranger(or Gaoranger if you're just talking about the primary team), first Pink in a ninja season, and the first time Pink and White have been part of the starting lineup since Changeman. Helmets seem a bit big but otherwise I kind of like these.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 2, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ninninger promo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Can someone translate this?

Wanmaru is the name of the dog zord controlled by the White ranger which is based on a breed of dog called a Bichon and the Pink ranger has Byunmaru, a train(ressha being the Japanese word for train, it's used a lot in ToQger). For reference Red owns Shinobimaru, the robot that pilots the main Megazord, Blue has Dragomaru, a Dragon and Yellow gets Dampmaru(or possibly Dumpmaru, I'm just going by what the wiki says), a Dump Truck. It seems like they've got at least one of every major sentai mech type this time for some reason rather than focusing on just animals/humanoid robots like the previous ninja seasons.

Also, it looks like they're going by the japanese words for their colors rather than english ones for the first time since Goranger (IE: Akaninger, Momoninger, etc.) most likely in reference to this technically being the 40th year of the Sentai franchise despite the Ninningers being the 39th team (Goranger ran for two seasons).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 28, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have they said what the official start date for this is going to be yet? It's looking like a huge step up from the previous 2 seasons at least what with an original villian and a theme song with actual lyrics.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Testekill posted:

Holy poo poo, that's Master Mao under that make up.

What's that from?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A theme song with actual lyrics, an orginial villian and mentor, characters with clearly defined personalities right out of the gate and absolutely zero Sentai footage in the first episode. Yeah, I'd say this is probably the best of the Neo-Saban era (Not that there's all that much competition in that regard). Though it does bring up a question: If Sledge's group has been on Earth for the past 65 million years, what exactly have they been doing all that time if they're only just now starting to search for the gems?

Also, aside from maybe Ziggy in RPM, is this the first time we've ever had someone essentially become a Power Ranger by accident?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 31, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scans of the 6th ranger from Ninninger are up:
His name is Starninger and he transforms with a burger
http://i.imgur.com/0awuFl2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3TEhF3p.jpg

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

I say that's your call. I don't know how good/bad Dragon Knight is exactly though. I haven't heard much about it other than it exists.

It's better then Saban's Masked Rider, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

This wouldn't even be that big of a deal if the series didn't give Kyoryuger a run for its money on Red-centrism. At least it's gotten a bit better at that, but it was unbearable how everything went around Takaharu.

Yeah, it's a bit of a problem when the one getting the lion's share of the focus is also the worst actor out of the entire cast. Maybe he'll get better as the show goes on though, one would hope anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

In all honesty, I think they made the best choice. Bring in elements (White Ranger, new Zords, etc) but keep all the set dressing the same. Hell, there was even a huge protracted sequence of all the dino zords turning into the Thunder Zords "Look kids, they still have the same robot buddies, they just look different now!"

And I will say this: Lord Zedd was a better (or at the very least, much more entertaining) villian than the entire Gorma Tribe combined.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 5, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is Vernon Wells pretty much the biggest named actor (That is, had a career going before being on the show) that's ever had a role in Power Rangers then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Figuring that first bit out was one of the key components that helped me decide how I wanted the Brigade armor to work and why it was created. I'm always very curious to see how others come to their own conclusions on essentially the same problem.

Sadly, yeah, tokustasu in comic form is shockingly just...not there. You'd think these kinds of super over the top stories with fantastic concepts and ideas built in would lend themselves to comics, and yet... I've read all of the Power Ranger comics, and oddly enough most of them don't really handle the transition to comic format well. The most recent stuff is also paradoxically more kids show than MMPR was, which is quite the feat. I think the main issue is that people who make these kinds of comics go the wrong kind of direction with what makes toku heroes so great.

Have there been any comics/manga based on Super Sentai other than that one Jetman sequel that never got translated? I know Kamen Rider had a couple.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

GUIS translated it.

Oh, I stand corrected then. If anyone wants to check it out it's available here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 15, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Testekill posted:

Samoans aren't Asians.

EDIT:

The funny thing is that the Red ranger is probably the most racially diverse character.

RPM had a Jamaican-Australian
Ninja Storm had a Samoan
Mystic Force had a Lebanese-Australian
Dino Charge has an American of Hispanic descent
SPD had a Canadian of West Indies descent
Turbo had an African-American
Zeo had a Native American

Is Jason David Frank actually Native American or was it just Tommy?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 23, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The rumor regarding Power Rangers moving to Netflix after Dino Charge has been confirmed as fake.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/power-rangers/250290/power-rangers-is-not-moving-to-netflix

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

...Huh, nevermind all that then. Apologies for jumping the gun there.

Yeah Collider as I understand it isn't really that reputable of a source. Most likely we won't know what's really happening after Dino Charge until some time next year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

They'll probably do something with the movie footage to help that out.

From what I hear, they're going to use DeathRyuger/KyoryuNavy somehow as the "Talon Ranger". How he's going to work when the show has stated repeatedly there are only 10 Energems remains to be seen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Both Talon and his zord I believe have been confirmed as part of the toyline at least. Whether or not they'll actually make it into the show I don't know yet, but most people seem to think they will.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 24, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Juuouger suits finally revealed

The torsos look more like they're wearing t-shirts with animals printed on them but I kind of like the helmet design. Also, I believe this is the first time we've had a Green and a White Ranger together as part of the core team.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 7, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah Overdrive at least tried to do it's own thing and the whole Mack being a robot story was interesting. Samurai, despite being a near carbon copy of it's source material at least had a clear structure and what new additions they did add were neat (Hell, I maintain that the whole Dayu/Dekker relationship was actually handled better in Samurai than it was in Shinkenger). Megaforce on the other hand is just soulless and you can tell almost nobody involved in the production really cared about making a quality show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

That's kinda astonishing to think on when you consider the stock footage they've basically tossed aside. Like yeah, they did that with Sledge, but it would have been easy to use Endolf, and I was sure that was the way they were going with it.

But nope, they use the movie costume. As for the rest of the trailer, I like how they're taking the setup. Its interesting to keep in mind that whilst Sledge was an ambitious dick, he was also a bounty hunter that probably did go after some of the universe's worst villains since hey, they'd have the highest bounties. So the idea of having held someone even worse than him on his ship is pretty understandable.

It looks like Endolf will be showing up in Super Charge anyway though if the toyline is anything to go by, his name is Shinge apparently. Honestly though, he'd probably be a better choice for Heckyl's monster form rather than Zeltrax/Geldon but I'm sure they'll make it work.

Besides, even if Sledge is dead his henchmen are probably going to survive as there's still too much Sentai footage of them left in the series to justify cutting them out entirely.