Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zaggitz posted:

Ima be real sad if Tommy doesn't come back again for the next Dino themed Ranger show in a few years.

The world needs a Tommy to dance the Samba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBw17MvTags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I'm actually amazed that Saban managed to take something as bland as Goseiger and water it down even more with Megaforce.

From what I understand, Megaforce is going to have a pretty short run and is only there to fulfill the no-skip series clause while they move on to Gokaiger.

On the other hand, the Megaforce Red guy will still probably be there and it will be boring.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would rather watch Turbo than any show post-SPD (excluding RPM).

This is still better than Samurai, I guess...?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

But no one cares about red from Jungle Fury, the bastard child of the PR franchise.

Jungle Fury isn't even the 3rd worst series of the franchise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Power Rangers hasn't had a good theme song since SPD.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

The exact order of seasons is eluding me at the moment, so this may actually be an empty complaint, but Dino Thunder had an awesome theme too

After SPD was Mystic, Overdrive, RPM, Saban openings.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe he's still pissed that Disney didn't bother calling him during the SPD/Dino Thunder team-up and this is his revenge or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gokaiger had the advantage of a presumably larger budget and more importantly being in a small country where everyone at most is a few train rides or a short plain ride away.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

They could at least try to get the guys from New Zealand. They could get a lot of the late season actors.

I'm not sure if they can since I'm assuming Saban hired non-union as usual and Disney hires union.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fred is on posted:

That's a very interesting read, but... calling Turbo the best season? Really? :psyduck:

I think it's a bit biased because the least amount of things were hosed up in production.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fred is on posted:

Important distinction: they're not morphing, they're morphin. :eng101:

Correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXYRh5YPu0M

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If I remember correctly, Turbo Red and Blue can work by themselves because their power source comes from those sentient cars.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They really should've made the Yellow Megaforce the leader. She's got moxie.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also note that the real Marvelous yells "It's showtime/let's make this exciting!" immediately after they do their roll-call and shoots the first enemy he sees.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Box of Bunnies posted:

Really cements the "this is a show for boys and the female characters really don't matter as much" thing though even if it was entirely innocuous.

One of the few things that Saban nowadays is still better at than Disney is making the effort to cater a bit more to females, mostly by reverse-gendering some rangers. I could see Disney sticking to keeping the Yellows in Time Force, Lightspeed, MMPR, etc. as males.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm not entirely sure how, but I've been watching a fuckload of Go-Busters over the past week or so. It's really good, but I can see how it might be lard to localise.

How, exactly? Nothing is really japanese about it or the storyline. The biggest hurdle is making a villain anywhere near as good as Enter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

I agree, Enter is tres bien.

I think the difficulty is going to come from working out a way to include Buddyroids that doesn't come across as ham-fisted, and likely from strangling a show name out of the GB initials that appear on most of their stuff.

Considering Samurai and Megaforce, I don't think they really care about "effort." And this is the franchise that created Alpha.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

mikeycp posted:

There's a lot of non-transformed fight footage, and most of the suit-up sequences aren't stock footage.

That's all I can think of as to how it would be hard to adapt.

The non-transformed fight footage can just be more scenes between the lifeless characters pretending to have emotions and considering how they're going about adapting Gokaiger by making it a Super Mode (Still don't know the gently caress's that about), editing what is relatively an easy morph sequence shouldn't be a problem.

Unless they hire an editor from a backwater swamp computer school or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I meant why make it even a Super mode, just have them wear the Gokai suits so they don't have to go Goseiger->Gokaiger->Other Form. That is unless they do want to do that because they can't write characters for poo poo with the time saved.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They can't possibly mess up the Gobuster roll call right? Right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

Seriously, after RPM anything is possible.

RPM was Disney, this is Saban that doesn't want to pay union aka better actors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Didn't RPM go way over budget and kill Power Rangers?

No, Disney was going to kill power rangers regardless and RPM was the disney crew's "In Space" season where they used up every last cent in the budget (Which wasn't much).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

poo poo, Megaforce is airing again? About drat time. Did they ever explain why there was a sudden hiatus?

That's how Nick contracts outside shows.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai was poo poo as well. The quality of acting is relative to whatever college drop-out theater major they could find.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

They've outright said that the new version of the show aims a little bit younger than the classic version, more in line with sentai's audience which sort of makes sense since they hew pretty closely to it now even when they change plot points.

What does aiming younger have to do with having lovely actors and directors that can't do their job?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're still not answering my question. Aiming younger has nothing to do with static actors that doesn't seem to understand where he is half the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They had an episode where past rangers existed, so it's not like they're breaking a sacred rule when the MMPR crew was the first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

Saying "everything that hasn't appeared in an American series is from a pre-MMPR team" doesn't really work for Dairanger - their costumes are very similar to the MMPR White ranger and the helmets have the same animal designs as the S2 zords.

"Billy found some ancient text and based it off that." It's really not as complicated as you guys are making it out to be. The lore isn't what kids care about.

The stupid, terrible sound effects is a far bigger crime than any lore being broken.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

At least they were fortunate Gokai Yellow is also a plucky tomboy, but then again we already expected Gina to be the best character.

Should've went balls out and made her Red, at least get something out of this clusterfuck.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Might be the only thing in theory that could be better than Gokaiger, because they really didn't do much with Barizorg.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They couldn't even give Gokaiger their due and give them an actual show, don't have high hopes for that adaptation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RBX posted:

The thing is Kyoryuger uses guns so will they gently caress up a toy that is unfuckupable?

The guns themselves aren't the problem, they'll just replace the regular gunshots with super bright laser beams like always.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think I can re-watch Gokaiger ever again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The material has nothing to do with it, Saban's already been given 2 out of 3 great materials and hosed it up with lovely actors that can't emote for crap, among other things. The current red makes Jason of MMPR an eccentric loony tunes by comparison.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The audible wasn't to make Karone the new Pink Ranger, Galaxy pink was being replaced regardless. The original replacement was supposed to be Space Pink but she left because of contract conflicts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would say Wildforce is worse than Ninja Storm, SPD, and Dino Thunder.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It hurts so much. Not the lovely morph or the really terrible actors, but the sound effects. I would almost tolerate all that poo poo if they just kept in the actual sound effects instead of whatever that muted beep beep noise they use as action sfx.

edit: I mean, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXFDtU6l59o&t=17m20s

Actual sound effects and no million words per second.

Tae fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 9, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saban really thinks kids are retarded, like the one scene where Red, Blue and Green exchange their 2nd weapons. The original just gives one word, the character's name, and the cool switch happens.

Transcript of the same scene:

Green: I need more firepower! Guys, give me a blaster!

Blue: Right, coming your way!

Red: Heads up, Jake! *catches* That'll work!

Green: Thanks! Nice switch!

Blue: Now put it to good use!

And then about 3 more lines. That poo poo was annoying back in the 80's with Robotech. It's 2014, Saban. Kids have Ipads, they know what a tiny sliver of subtlety is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I disagree on the roll calls, watching Sentai there's more than enough that goes on despite 1:30 opening lengths and 2 minute roll calls. I don't feel the same with Post RPD series, they feel so meandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

At this point, we're better off having the Kung Pow Chicken squad dub over the Japanese footage and release that on air.