Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

SpazmasterX posted:

Where would the show go? It's options are already limited since there's so few channels geared toward kids, and even fewer with budgets that could sustain the series to begin with. Plus, I'm starting to think that a lot of GoBuster's footage wouldn't be useable since so little of it took place in vague outdoor locations. Then you also have to take in account the fact that they never used stock footage for anything outside of Megazord combinations, so you can't pull the ol' stock footage morph-location change switcharoo. You also have the Buddyroids to deal with, since they are part of the Buster Machine cockpits and Powered Custom (which every fight in the last 1/3rd of the series involves), and Stag Buster doesn't act human at all. Furthermore, there's also several scenes involving their individual weakpoints. GoBusters will be a very expensive series to Americanize, I guarantee it.

Haim Saban owns a block of Saturday morning television on CW that airs Power Rangers already, and pro wrestling. It's obvious that PR is going to the Vortexx.

Also, gently caress yeah Akibaranger season 2. Only sentai series I watched and I loved every minute of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

J33uk posted:

Wow, I did not expect Akibaranger to go all Life on Mars on my rear end.

Yeah, Akibaranger is just glorious. I kinda want to rewatch it again.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What time is Megaforce on anyway? I'd probably watch it if I knew when.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They could at least try to get the guys from New Zealand. They could get a lot of the late season actors.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MisterBibs posted:

Can anyone with Archives/search link to previous PR/Sentai threads? I'm reasonably sure we had a fairly big thread previously...

I know there was one guy who wanted to review every PR episode, but only got to ep 5. And now I have decided to follow him and I should be recording a podcast with some other goons tonight, so look out for that tomorrow/saturday.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

All of Samurai and Super Samurai is on Netflix. Even the holiday specials and Clash of the Red Rangers movie.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates this photo.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Obviously the one guy is Professor Thomas Oliver, but I have no idea who anyone else in this photo is.

Three professional wrestlers and DMC of Run DMC.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I've been watching Power Rangers commercials all day today. It's really cool to see how insanely popular it was in the 90's.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

That reminds me, my boss's wife might be giving me a huge box of Power Rangers stuff from at least '94. I know she has Tor the Shuttlezord and a Megazord, just not sure which one.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

SPD also had the A-Squad rangers where they had a female Red ranger before Shinkenger. In fact, one of the men behind SPD wanted the Red B-Squad ranger to be female.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Yeah, there's a few shows where someone else is ostensibly the leader, but Red is always The Guy Who Makes It Work. Kakuranger was like that, the leader was Tsuruhime, but Sasuke was the man who made the team gel together. It's pretty obvious when you consider the first episode of every series where they show assembling the team, it's usually about Red finally joining because the team isn't right without him.

I always love to try and figure out why the Red Ranger is the Red Ranger. Sometimes it's natural leadership, others it is being courageous, and sometimes it feels like dumb luck.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here's a sweet behind the scenes photo from MMPR season 3. It's the creation of the Shogun Ultrazord!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There's more photos of scrawny white guys making a TV that's a half-hour toy commercial using the toys from last season.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I only recently realized that the shoulder pad and chest pattern make a chompy dinosaur face. That's pretty cool.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Wow, I feel old. At least the franchise is thriving again according to this article.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Reminder that new episodes of Megaforce start Sept. 7

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This is the first episode of Megaforce I had the opportunity to watch. Oh boy, this acting. At least Robo Knight is a poor mans RoboCop and that's pretty cool.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I like how the monsters in Megaforce/Goseiger are based on Cryptids and sci-fi movies

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If it makes you feel better, way back in 93-94 they did the same exact thing. Air until the spring/summer and then go away until the fall.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

jivjov posted:

If you're enjoying MMPR Season 1, you should check out goon-run podcast Podcasters With Attitude. Full disclosure, I'm one of the hosts. We just finished recording all our Season 1 stuff; we do episode by episode reviews and the occasional one-off about random stuff like Japanese Frankenstein.

I'm the crazy person that runs this. Here's an RSS feed.

I've been watching Lightspeed Rescue lately. It's pretty good, but I haven't gotten to an amazing part yet. Ryan's doing his thing now, so things are looking good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Saw this commercial today for a Samsung phone watch thing and it has some Power Ranger clips in it from Itsy Bitsy Spider and Green with Evil. I think there is a different clip from the garage, but I don't remember what episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qeJKax2CU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Just do it man. It sounds like a normal text alert so only cool people will get the reference

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Dr Tran posted:

Super Megaforce / Gokaiger toys have hit Toys-R-Us.

Whelp, theme to buy some morphers.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Robotknight just goes back to Africa and hangs out with his new friends.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

lemonslol posted:

So I have never watched Super Sentai before, but I started watching Akibaranger, and I LOVE it, I'm catching myself yelling " MOE MAGNUM" in my underwear and " AKIBA REDO" during the call outs. I have a feeling though that there aren't any shows like this after I finish Akibaranger, and I don't know if I like it because of the sentai or because of the parody elements. What would you guys recommend I try after this, I do love laughing but the fight scenes are kind of cool as well.

You picked a good time to get interested because the newest sentai, Ressha Sentai Tokkyuger, is starting in a few weeks on February 16.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They did the best they could do. I mean imagine the price of plane tickets plus hotels to New Zealand for 10 years worth of Power Rangers characters. I don't know why they couldn't get that many actors already in New Zealand.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

drrockso20 posted:

At this point I have no hope for Gokaiger's adaptation, but hopefully they'll do better with Kyoryuger's adaptation(although the only way that can happen is if Saban tells Nickelodeon to screw off and jumps ship to another network)

I believe they already signed a new deal that goes until the end of 2016. Hopefully they changed the deal so they don't keep the "Super" thing every other year and expand the seasons to more than 20 eps.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I found this video by Mojo.com on top 10 Power Rangers moments. Cool list but it has tons of spoilers of course so if you are watching through some seasons for the first time you may want to skip it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Power Rangers + Football = this apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6BP3Lt4-2M

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Go-onger completely owned how incredibly silly things were. "Evil robots from another dimension who want to pollute our world are opposed by gigantic sentient cars which look like animals and have anime eyes." I don't know what made Disney decide that show was the one to turn into a grimdark post-apocalypse series, but the mismatch just put me off in a big way.

Disney gave no fucks. That was supposed to be the end so the writers were allowed to do whatever they wanted and RPM is the result.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

jivjov posted:

Wasn't Go-Busters meant to be a sort of "apology" to Saban for how hard it was going to be to adapt Gokaiger? And I thought Saban was contractually obligated to adapt every sentai season anyway.

The article doesn't say they are skipping Go-Busters. Sure, with a name like Dino Charge there is little room for interpretation, but I would not be surprised to see the two series melded together in some fashion. Maybe the Gobusters will be the bad guys? I dunno.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah, about that.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h7APn20a_o

Also, I love how Gosei had access to all these amazing powers from the get go and just never mentioned it. It truly is amazing how much of a dick he is.

Don't act like Zordon was a charitable soul all the time. Why did he have to hide the White Ranger from everyone else? Huh? I smell a conspiracy.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Don't forget that the next Sentai, ToQger is coming out next. That's a great way to get into sentai.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Brother Entropy posted:

They suddenly know these the same way every Super Sentai/PR team ever suddenly knows exactly what to yell in unison during team attacks or transformations.

When in doubt, just blame the Morphing Grid. Why do they know Kung fu? Morphing Grid. How do they know how to pilot a giant robot? Morphing Grid. What's up with the sparks and explosions? Morphing Grid.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think we are forgetting the biggest offense of the Metallic Armor. It appeared no more than 3 times. Yay, all that hype for nothing!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ninjasaurus posted:

My favorite moment in all of Power Rangers was finding out Lord Zedd is Jewish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aIjuV5AGM

It goes deeper man. I just finished watching I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger where his plan is to hijack Santa's Workshop and force the elves to make mind control tops to enslave the children. Essentially, world domination by dreadel.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh yeah, how's that going? Wouldn't you get more exposure on youtube or something?

Yeah. I'm the "mastermind" behind this and I totally agree that YouTube would be better and I need a proper website and so much more. Frankly I'm killing myself over the update schedule and I only have Windows Movie Maker, which is a lame excuse for not trying. But this really isn't the place to discuss this, I just hope you guys give the show a chance and give us some feedback.

But hey! Can I great a group opinion on Jungle Fury? I put it pretty high on my list of favorite seasons. Villains get a lot of story and development, rangers are pretty alright people, RJ is cool as hell, nice monster designs, and a big emphasis on real martial arts. Overall, probably my third favorite season.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Linkara is doing Operation Overdrive next, right? Urgh, that's a hard on to get thorough and I don't blame the delay. The first 2 episodes are alright, but right after that it is a series of miserable episodes. At least Mack is an alright guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Flameingblack posted:

I wish someone better than Linkara was doing a retrospective on Power Rangers, but in the time it's taken him to do them I've watched almost all the seasons on Netflix myself anyway, without a rage-driven spergy nerd with a shrill voice nitpicking the tiniest little things and turning it into a 35 minute rant. I'm sure he's going to completely hate RPM somehow and I can imagine that's the first time he'll watch the Sentai and then just put RPM down for not being anything like the source :v:

I'm doing one! In the most excruciating way possible by reviewing every single episode. I'm not even out of season 3 and been doing this every weekday since July 1st. In any case, we have two episodes that look at seasons 1 and 2 as a whole and we actually try to compare Power Rangers to sentai. Here's my website with all of the episodes. Maybe when I get done with Season 3 I'll just switch to Linkara's style and turn it into a general Toku podcast.