Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

gyrobot posted:

A fun fact about Koryuranger is that like Zyu and Abare, all of them debuted in the 3rd year of every decade.

Zyuranger was in 1992, not 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Good god, all I got out of that was "Power of Friendship, gently caress yeah!" I don't recall the earlier seasons being so preachy about friendship, just teamwork.

Still, is it worse than Turbo? I recall that getting pretty cringeworthy at times, and I only watched that a few months ago.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Fuckers upped the price by 10 dollars :argh:

Its a cool looking Morpher, but its not $60 worth of cool, I would've gotten it at $40 but that seems like too much.

I'll save my money for the MMPR SH Figuarts coming out later this year.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And then they skipped Kakuranger, which did have a black costume and no green

And no Pink.

And only 5 costumes.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Uh, Ninjaman, hello? They could have just upgraded Alpha 5 into a whole new robot!

Where would the 6th ranger go then? Would he just merge with Alpha?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

You can still pick out the sentai footage. Obviously all your scenes involving stock zord footage and megazords are sentai, except for cockpit scenes nowadays. Anything involving a new weapon is probably sentai. Any scene where civilians are present but they're not obviously white people is sentai. Beyond those, look for where in-suit dialogue has really exaggerated movement. Sentai keeps it fairly normal, in my opinion at least.

It was definitely easier back in the days of the Sentai footage being fuzzier, but another way to tell is that the sentai suits tend to be far shinier than the PR suits. Though the improved camera quality might have made that negligible too. Another way you would be able to tell in the old days was the helmets, the PR ones had (have?) ugly clamps on the sides so they could take them off easier.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The clasps come and go even today, because they're the stunt helmets. The clasps are actually visible in some of the sentai footage, they're just a lot better at hiding it. I would assume they only forwarded the high-quality stunt helmets to Saban back in the day, rather than the expensive hero helmets which have some fancy internal clasp system. When Sakamoto came on with Power Rangers, he probably infodumped on them about thorough shot-planning to get around the clasps, explaining why you don't see them as often anymore.

Yeah, I recall seeing the clasps in some of the Zyu2 footage, I think it was one of the Doppelganger Ranger episodes, the fakes had the clamp helmets and the real ones had the fancier ones, before that though I had always figured they were different helmets made exclusively for the US filming.

Though to be fair they did use the clamps to remove the helmets on screen in MMPR Season 2.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aren't the American toys total poo poo nowadays, like they're smaller and made of cheaper plastic which doesn't hold together as well? I could swear I've seen pictures of RPM's Ultrazord being substantially smaller than G12, while my black MMPR Megazord is almost exactly the same toy as DaiZyuJin.

It is the same as the Special Edition Daizyujin I thought? The Black Megazord didn't change the decals did it?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

RBX posted:

COME ON SON.

This is what I wanted. I would've thrown money at you for these.

Keep the originals even though they're 100% fine and serviceable with maybe one new one for Titanium Ranger? Naw gently caress that gotta make big fat ones to symbolize MUSCLE, even on the girls too because why not.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Kim dump him via a Dear John?

Yes, in Zeo.

And shortly after that Kat started snuggling up to him.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

The Legacy Collection price just got announced and ouch it's 650 bucks. I was going to snag a set but that price is way higher than I'd thought it be.

http://www.powerrangerslegacycollec...6d03fa-88581541

Ouch indeed.

Though I guess that's like $0.84 an episode or something. Its not too bad but honestly I'm not a big enough fan to purchase that, not at that price.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

"To fight the invasion, we needed to become outlaws."

There. I just explained the pirate motif better than Saban ever will.

He said Dairanger, not Gokaiger.

I bet they'll just do some Alien Rangers excuse to explain the Dairanger suits in use.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I really don't understand why the figures now have to be so over-muscular. I guess all the more reason to stick to the Tamashii Nations versions that are actually screen accurate.

Now have to be? They've always been that way. Its a mystery why they think the bulgy look is a winner but to be fair I was always more mystified by the choice of never painting the weapons.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Duet posted:

Well that's even funnier, because looking at it the mockups for "Super Megaforce" Pink and Yellow are molded in the same Super Upper Torso that the other keys are just with a skirt painted on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they made Gokaiger keys for pretty much every ranger, right? Weren't the females in that lineup the same as the males in terms of design just with a skirt painted on (Save for the ones that came before skirts)?

I mean, I get why its funny because the American Keys look like they've been bulking up a bit too much, but wouldn't it make sense to make a new mold for such a simplistic design anyway.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Senerio posted:

Yeah, that's who I wound up going for, but Plan Xander almost worked.

Was it the Muscles?

But yeah, TF Pink needs more support, apparently going against a male ranger has doomed her chances.

Fake edit: Apparently I was mistaken, she's bounced back to 51% but that only means the tide could once again go back in Xander's favor.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I found an SH Figuarts Shinken Red at a discount store here for like 11 bucks. Didn't really care about Samurai all that much but I like Figuarts stuff and thought he'd go good with my MMPR Green Ranger Figuart. Took him out of the box and his leg joint snapped off about 3 minutes after I took him out!

Are the newer Figuarts releases as bad? Makes me scared to handle my Green Ranger.

Hell no, the current releases are durable as gently caress. I've got nine so far (Akiba S1, MMPR Red, Green & Pink and the Hurricangers minus the Gouraigers.) and they've all been really durable.

Sad to hear the Shinken Red is kind of crap, I liked the suit designs and wanted to snag him when I got the chance.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

They have a couple more of them so I may just exchange.

Quick question, was the figure cold at all when you removed him from the box?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I don't believe so, it was probably 70'degrees out yesterday and it had been in the car a bit before I took it out.

Ah, alright. Figures tend to be fragile when cold so that sounded like a good reason why it snapped. Must've truely been a defect then.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

God drat it was a mistake not to make Gokaiger it's own series.

Is it Saban's or Nickelodeon's fault that Megaforce is the mess that is?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I find it incredibly silly that they insist on using the Goseiger suits just as a means for them to walk to the monster and then just go straight to Gokaiger mode. For the most part it just looks out of place. They kept Gosei and the same cast, there's no reason to have the Goseiger suits around as another tie to the last season.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sockser posted:

I kinda made sense for Dairanger / Kakuranger, as Power Rangers was a new venture and, hey, who the gently caress knows?

But nowadays? Why loving bother?

Probably because they insist on this two seasons for one adaptation thing with the "Super" bullshit. And because of that they're doing the old style composite series thing again.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

You could say that Ninjor isn't in there because he's a Extra Ranger, but so is the Blue Senturion, and he's in there, so that argument doesn't hold water!

Maybe its because Blue Senturion was basically the 6th of Turbo and Ninjor was sort of just an ally the rangers had very occasionally that essentiallly vanished partway through the third season.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sockser posted:

Watching this reminder me of another thing I dislike about Super Mega, but I guess I understand.

I thought it was real badass that Gokaiger didn't have blasters, they just straight up had flintlock pistols that made a boom sound, and then Super Megaforce they just pewpewpew.

Well gotta make those guns into laser blasters or else kids will want to shoot guns at other people or something.

Doesn't make a lick of sense considering you can hurt somebody with a laser too.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm honestly surprised the Mystic Force White Ranger is still kicking around.

Phantom Ranger and Titanium Ranger are doing better than I thought they were last time I saw their ratings.

Time Force Pink is doing alright as well, so that makes me happy since it looks like only her and Mystic White/MMPR Yellow remain as female representation.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the brackets were organized like that on purpose to mostly ensure there'd be one female in the final five

Which is good, there's no reason it should be all dudes.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

My favorite was when his teacher, Ms. Applebee, confiscated it thinking it was his beeper. So 90's.

That was because he smacked it against a wall I believe.

Great tech, Billy!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Small update on the "Morphin' Madness" thing: It seems like JDFDF has turned it around and he's winning all three of his things again (or the bot has hosed up and is now voting for the other side since the disparity is now going in the other direction)

Time Pink is still winning, but only by a 1% margin :ohdear:.
Phantom Ranger and Titanium Ranger are still winning too so that's a plus as well.
MMPR Yellow's winning over Mystic White, another plus.
I kind of wish Zeo gold would win but I really can't complain about either of those two choices.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

MMPR Yellow vs Time Pink? Dammit, I wanted both to win.

But Time Pink it is, sorry Trini, Jen's better written. Too bad the votes have sided against her though.

And it appears Phantom Ranger is winning against Not-Marvelous, awesome.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sockser posted:

As I get older, I notice more and more how silly the molded mouths on the Zyuranger helmets look.

You think the Zyuranger Molded mouths are silly looking?

I think Ohranger's helmets topped them in the silly molded mouth region.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

Miss America, to this day, still creeps me out

That's way too uncanny valley for me, up there with the mouths on Goseiger

All of Battle Fever J has just unpleasant loving helmet designs, its no wonder that they really never went back to using helmets like those again.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I actually really like Battle Japan's helmet. I have no idea how it represents Japan, but I think it's an interesting design.

Maybe its the spiky hair?

His is definitely the best design, its not perfect at all but its better than the rest of BFJ.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

jivjov posted:

X1 says hello

I knew about X1, but he was a oneshot, not a main/recurring character.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sleeping Sigma posted:

We've got our morphin madness winners:

MMPR Red Ranger
MMPR White Ranger
Turbo Phantom Ranger
Lightspeed Rescue Titanium Ranger
Time Force Pink Ranger

I'm honestly surprised that MMPR Green didn't beat white.

So does this means that these five are gonna be released as a set or is it only for the sweepstakes winners? If it's only for the winners, that titanium ranger key is gonna be mad expensive on ebay.

So that's two unique american keys then? Titanium's an obvious one but did Phantom Ranger's Sentai counterpart get a key?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

Also, if the Super Megaforce keys are just power ups why doesn't Silver have a Megaforce counterpart?

Because Plot Hole.
Also Saban, probably don't want to spend extra money to make a Megaforce Silver.

Which of course leads to the goofiness of the Legend War where the Megaforce rangers go out in non-Pirate suits with Silver in his normal suit which is a Pirate suit.

They should've just "destroyed" the Megaforce powers, if they're weaker than the Super Mega Mode they have no reason to use them, not even as a Legendary mode unless that makes them stronger or something, which begs the question of why they even do such a redundant thing as going into Regular Megaforce, then going to Super Mega Mode, and then using potentially using Legendary to go back to the loving Megaforce suits. Making them somehow lose their original Megaforce powers a la the loss of the original MMPR power source and then giving them the Pirate suits would've cleared this issue up completely.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

For 500 dollars they should let me pick the helmet and have it be big enough to wear. :colbert:

Why would you want to wear a replica helmet with a bunch of holes in the back?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

jivjov posted:

With Burk unable to record with us, I've been watching every episode of Turbo, and the count thus far as been 23 decent-to-awesome episodes with only 2 real bad stinkers so far. Maybe the latter part of the season is just absolutely terrible...but its not a bad season overall.

I always thought people found the first half of Turbo with the veteran rangers to be the part that was awful and the part with the new rangers actually improved the season.

Personally I didn't think Turbo was that bad. Its schlocky as hell and that's what I enjoy out of Power Rangers.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

It wasn't nearly as "let's just use stock footage of the outgoing actors, since they walked out on us suddenly". Tommy & Co. went around, peering creepily into people's windows and being like "hey dude I just met this episode, you're totally going to be the new Red Ranger."

Stock footage AND Bad sound-alikes.

I think I prefer Power Transfer only because we got JYB out of the bargain.

Though all the ranger switch-ups (Including Different Shade of Pink) are way better than Aisha's "Gonna go help animals in Africa of the past, later Zordon." thing in Hogday Afternoon 2.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yeah that was bullshit... I don't think they even had a return of the actress playing teenage Aisha, did they?

Different Shade of Pink was done pretty well, I thought.

I think they showed her meeting up with her parents (Who were transferred over to Old Africa when the Rangers re-aged.) in the Viewing Globe but it could've very well been a stand-in since it was a small blurry image.

And yeah, I really liked Different Shade of Pink. Kimberly was great, Kat was sort of awkward at first but she improved a lot once Zeo came around.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

That's really lovely. :catstare:

Didn't the same thing happen with JYB and Tanya's actress in regards to Turbo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I guess they couldn't call them "New powers" again but yikes, should've just did some original footage.