Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
God everything in the last couple of years leads me to conclude 2 things; Saban needs to fire Tzachor(it's telling that even his name sounds like a villain name) and they need to break their contract with Nickelodeon(if they don't they are gonna be screwed as the time gap between Japan and the US increases)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

At this point I have no hope for Gokaiger's adaptation, but hopefully they'll do better with Kyoryuger's adaptation(although the only way that can happen is if Saban tells Nickelodeon to screw off and jumps ship to another network)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hopefully by the time they get to Gobusters' adaptation they'll either switch back to the "two years for each season" thing(as crappy as that was) or preferably return to the "40 or so episodes in a year" that they used pre-Saban revival because the way they've done Megaforce is just awful(and makes me fear they might ruin Kyoryuger if they adapt it like they've done Goseiger, and Gokaiger)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Coq au Nandos posted:

Go-Busters would certainly support 40 PR episodes. But let's be honest, any adaptation is going to be disappointing. It was almost perfect.

True but if Gobusters' adaptation could hit old Saban or early Disney levels that would be great(and if we got a RPM grade adaptation it would be excellent), same with Kyoryuger which thankfully should be pretty easy to adapt when the time comes(ToQger on the other hand, while my opinion of it has gone up still looks like it'll be an awkward adaptation once Saban gets their hands on it)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

At this point I'm very certain that they must be having a ridiculous amount of behind the scenes production issues, because that's the only way I could see them having this many weird problems with Super Megaforce(too many of them to blame just on budget issues or contract issues with Nickelodeon or even on higher ups not caring about the show)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

It's a Nick thing. They love these huge long breaks out of nowhere for some reason. I don't know who's worse them or Cartoon Network.

Nickelodeon is a hell of a lot worse about this than Cartoon Network, hell their 20 episodes a year for any show that isn't a sitcom policy is purposely made for this, hell if I recall properly both FOP and Spongebob have episodes made back in 2010 that still haven't aired

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's kinda hilarious how Ohranger is a black sheep for Sentai while Zeo is probably the most solidly made Saban season and is often regarded as one of the best seasons of Power Rangers and Carranger is considered a classic season in Japan while Turbo is probably the worst pre-New Saban season of Power Rangers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

You're...you're not talking about the One Piece rap, are you?

I'll admit I kinda like it too for pure kitsch factor

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I think the reason the Gokaiger adaptation has been so lackluster is due to the higher ups at Saban realizing how difficult a proper adaptation would have been to make so they decided to half-rear end it and save any actual effort for Dino Charge(personally I think they should have just skipped Gokaiger and done two years for Goseiger and then go straight to Kyoryuger)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tae posted:

They've been half-assing it for every season since they got the license back, I'm not sure it's a Gokaiger thing.

Part of that I think has to do with pretty much every season from Shikenger to Go-Busters has been the sort that would be really hard to adapt with any real sense of quality(they got real lucky with RPM), heck Kyoryuger is probably the first Sentai season since either Dekaranger or Magiranger that there shouldn't be any major elements to it that would make localizing difficult(I really wouldn't be surprised if they skip over Tokkyuger as well, even if it isn't as bad as I initially thought it was going to be, it still comes off as an incredibly awkward series to try to bring over)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The way Super Megaforce has turned out really makes me wish they had skipped it(Gokaiger) and just done 2 seasons for Goseiger(also Saban needs to ditch Nickelodeon for somewhere else, heck it could probably do well as a Netflix exclusive, especially since they wouldn't have to deal with awful scheduling anymore)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Boukenger still has my overall favorite Mecha designs in the franchise(also has the best opening song and some of the best suit designs as well)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Funny you mention that: There's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu9oPWZ7WE

Kinda annoyed they're still using 'Its morphing time!', but aside of that...

Holy crap original effects shot. Original villain. Dammit I don't want to be betrayed again.

That actually looks like it'll be decent, although the new villain looks kinda lame(also the whole Bounty Hunter being the Big Bad just feels ridiculous, like if they made Lobo the main villain for a Superman movie or something)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Wait a second, I watched RPM on Netflix and it was at least three years ago.

How many episodes did Samurai and Megaforce have?

About 40 episodes each, just took so long cause Nickelodeon has a retarded policy where a show can't show more than 20 new episodes in a year(Ninja Turtles seems to be the exception to that rule), and it's crippling the franchise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah that was pretty good, well besides Keeper, the crappy Dinosaur CGI, and Pink coming off as a lot more awkward than I prefer(have an extremely low tolerance for Awkward Humor), overall though I'm taking it as a sign that Power Rangers is out of it's worst times(sucks that Shikenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, and GoBusters had to be sacrificed so Kyoryuger could get a good adaptation)

Also I think we can all agree that the first 4 years of New Saban have been the worst years Power Rangers has ever seen from a show quality point

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I just caught up on Dino Charge. They removed Luckiero, 0/10.

Seriously though, the series is remarkably not awful. They even kept in some of the catchphrases!

Going by the merchandise Luckiero is probably going to pop in later

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah and it seems that even Saban realized it for a while, since from Lost Galaxy to Wild Force all the Rangers were adults(and Disney kept jumping back and forth on that topic as well)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

A lot of the older Super Sentai works basically follow something similar where some strange threat appears and a group of 3-5 people aided by technology or magic or whatever are the only ones who can stop this threat from doing whatever the gently caress it's planning. Adding guns and tits and violence doesn't make something Serious and Mature. Only a child would think that. Dealing with the consequences of actions or the realities of life is what makes it Serious and Mature.

There's some pages from Flex Mentallo that perfectly explain that dichotomy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Considering how shared TV Superhero universes have been taking off lately for both Marvel and DC, Saban would be fools not to try to bring Kamen Rider over again and cross it over with Power Rangers, especially now that they've gotten rid of Tzachor

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Best Black & Gold Megazord variant will always be the one they did for Operation Overdrive/Boukenger, although that has to do with not only Boukenger having some of the best Zord designs in the franchise, but also cause the Black & Gold set did every Zord except Sirenbuilder and Dai-Voyager

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd say Turbo/Carranger has the worst Zords of the original Saban era series(with Lightspeed Rescue, and Wild Force having the best)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Don't forget that Go-Onger had another reason for dinosaurs dying out too, I think maybe Gaiark tried to pollute Earth back then which is why the dino trains were sealed into the volcano.

So the other night as I was thinking about the show, something occurred to me. How did Zordon get the power coin to make Tommy the White Ranger? When Rita showed back up and the power coins lost their power, Zordon said he couldn't fix the coins because he didn't make them, and that's why they had to go find Ninjor. So did Zordon just have the white tiger coin lying around somewhere and then went "Oh yeah I have this thing guess I should use it at some point"?

I remember at least one theory stated that it was originally Titanus' coin and Zordon simply repurposed it to make the White Tiger powers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hard to say what my favorite Sentai suits are, although Gingaman, GoGo V, Boukenger, and Goseiger are definitely some of them(not to mention GoGo V and Boukenger having some of the absolute best Robo designs in the franchise), although of the post-Zyuranger teams I'd say ToQger is the only one I don't really like all that much(too plain for my tastes, although Orange is a slight exception there), not too big on the Abarenger or Jungle Fury suits either

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jivjov posted:

According to Tony Oliver (supervising producer at the time), because Mighty Morphin had LIT UP THE GODDAMN COUNTRY with how popular it was, there was a definite paralyzing fear of changing too much and letting the lightning out of the bottle.

There was also the fact that much of Dairanger was unusable for Saban, ranging from Human villains having too much screentime in fights, to the fights being too imitative in their violence for American TV

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raserys posted:

It's not great, but it's not Samurai, which is all I can really ask for.

yeah unlike Samurai, I could easily picture this being something used in Kyoryuger

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jivjov posted:

In all honesty, I think they made the best choice. Bring in elements (White Ranger, new Zords, etc) but keep all the set dressing the same. Hell, there was even a huge protracted sequence of all the dino zords turning into the Thunder Zords "Look kids, they still have the same robot buddies, they just look different now!"

which kinda fell apart in season 3 when they destroyed them permanently anyways

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also it depends on whether you count Voice Actors and/or the direction their careers went post PR since Bryan Cranston did a voice or two for Season 2 before Malcom In The Middle made him recognizable and Breaking Bad made him a star, or Johnny Young Bosch who's become a massively successful VA after Power Rangers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Forgot about Spinodaioh because he came from a movie but did show up a few times in the series.

Wonder how they'll explain him in Dino Charge

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Juuouger suits finally revealed

The torsos look more like they're wearing t-shirts with animals printed on them but I kind of like the helmet design. Also, I believe this is the first time we've had a Green and a White Ranger together as part of the core team.

Those have an oddly 80's vibe to their design

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thinking hard on it, the last Sentai where I had no real issues with the Mecha, was probably either Boukenger or Magiranger, whichever was the more recent one, every Sentai since has had at least some issues in my opinion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MadScientistWorking posted:

What the hell happened between Megaforce and Dino Charge that the show quality skyrocketed?

Previous head writer got sacked hard for making a mess out of Megaforce, like almost everything that was bad about it could be laid at his feet(and rumor has it a lot of the higher ups weren't happy about Megaforce either, both at Saban, and at Bandai), same with all the bad parts of Samurai, and a lot of the other seasons he worked on before Saban got the rights back, while his replacement is generally agreed to be one of the best writers the franchise ever had (I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure he's the one behind RPM being so good)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah the only real complaint I have about the comic currently was that the new monster Bullzer had a really bad design

Also that whole Bulk & Skull segment was hilarious

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXpnA_ilNMs

The new villain for Dino Super Charge seems like the smarmiest dick and I love it.

Also worth noting that his monster form is from the Kyoryuger VS movie(at least if I'm remembering correctly)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Heck the Game Show part could be used to explain the overly red centric footage they have to use(and Gold being antagonistic for a while), if the Game Show applies to the Rangers and not just the monsters, could see Red being characterized as being over competitive

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zyuranger at least to the point where I'm at has been pretty good about spreading the focus between each teammate(although Dan has definitely had the least so far), also the heavy usage of "kid of the week" plots isn't really that annoying, as they put a lot into showing that the Zyurangers are friends with the children of Japan and thus have a good reason to care about their issues beyond it usually involving a Dora Monster

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

greatn posted:

I watched since MMPR over the weekend and holy poo poo it's so insane and good.

This episode with a Pirhana monster has Tommy sperg out that he forgot his karate belt while everyone gives him bemused looks, features a scene to establish he is going through the park which is two seconds long, has him smiling like a madman and roundhouse kicking a tree for no reason, and Jason keeps calling the clearly a fish monster a lizard. They go through about four different megazord formations in the span of about 30 seconds, the mister is insane ranting about his goony bird eggs. Billy is dressed like a cowboy for no reason at all.

It's god drat amazing. So I watched the next few and they're all exactly like this.

You should obtain and watch Zyuranger in the future, as it's also pretty great

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Star Man posted:

Alongside Kimberly, who vanished to go pursue a gymnastics career.

The thing that always got me was keeping the Zyuranger look when they started using Dairanger footage. Why keep the old look instead of switching costumes and make up a new villain? New costumes means you can push new toys.

From what I've heard it had to do with much of Dairanger's footage being unusable by Saban for a host of different reasons ranging from that show's human villains showing up too much(and them dressing up like a bunch of S&M people didn't help) to their weapons being unfeasible to show or market in the current climate(they used sticks and there had been a recent international incident involving beatings with sticks, so that made it verboten to use), when it came to Season 3 and Kakuranger that was more just Saban being stubborn than anything

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

I assume you could use exactly the same justification for Go Busters.

The main reason they skipped Go Busters was cause it did abysmally in Japan so Bandai had no faith about a PR adaptation so they allowed Saban to skip it and just do Kyoryuger instead, similarly they felt that TOQger wouldn't sell here in the USA and let them skip it for Nininger instead, makes me wonder if Jyuohger is also going to get skipped

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

The latter half of season two is just unwatchable to me, even as a kid. My favorite characters left, and the cool Japanese fight scenes were replaced with horribly spliced footage. After a certain point the new monsters and rangers just never interact on screen.

Didn't a lot of the fights eventually become 99% them beating up Putties and then finishing the monster off with the admittedly pretty bitching Power Bazooka they had at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm tentatively on board with it, because she's like head-to-toe Green Ranger colors. It looks like they'll tie his origins really closely to Rita, which is cool.

Maybe it's like an evil Zordon situation, where she technically rules over that power, but can't actually use it herself due to reasons?

edit: Part of me wants to see Saban think they're taking a serious stab at making a "Power Rangers Cinematic Universe", the precious scamps

Wonder if that means they might adapt some of their other properties if the Power Rangers movie does really well, would be interesting to see what they would try to do for a VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, or Masked Rider movie(I'm honestly surprised Saban hasn't tried bringing Kamen Rider to the States again, especially considering how Toyetic recent seasons have been)