Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

Mercury all the way. :colbert: (It's literally my favourite suit design in the entire franchise. Followed by Jungle Fury Purple/GekiViolet)

GekiViolet is a big list of things that shouldn't work together on a costume coming together to make something awesome. If you added the same kind of shield/shoulderpads that MMPR White or Zeo Gold has, he'd be unstoppable.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, you'd lose the Muay Thai feel that the costume's going for.

But you gain cumbersome gold shoulderpads! And add an unnecessary fourth (fifth if you count the fact that his helmet and suit don't always match) color to his suit!

Okay, so it's not a great argument, ...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That's kind of Sentai/Power Rangers in a nutshell.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Solaris Knight posted:

Just hire Paul Freeman as Ivan Ooze again, but with a budget

That's all I want!

Imagine the CGI we could use to knee him in the groin nowadays!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

MisterBibs posted:

But thinking along the Hypothetical Power Ranger Movie Ideas That Would Never Happen: "Four years ago, we were the Power Rangers. Then, we finally fought off Zarlox The Destroyermon. Parades, cheers, the ability to use the Megazord to score chicks, you name it. But now people just look at us and ask us what have we done recently for them. So we've agreed to do something our Mentor would hate if he were still around: find Zarlox and ask him to fake a new invasion. He's a magician, right? What could possibly go wrong?"

Isn't that the majority of Ghostbusters 2, though?

I want to see "Zordon" captured by a government agency, the Power Rangers fight off an alien invasion, and free Zordon, only to have him desert them with indifference as the next threat comes calling.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I've already started Jetman as my next series, hoping that one manages to be even better than Dairanger! It sure is off to a solid start.

Just started watching that after reading it was Saban's favorite series. Probably the most fun experience watching Sentai and/or Power Rangers I've ever had.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Knowing very little about Goseiger other than that their suits rule, could it have been adapted into a shorter season, say 26 episodes, and not come off completely as a toy commercial? I tried watching the first few episodes (e: of Megaforce), but it was such a hollow retread of MMPR, I gave up and watched In Space again.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 4, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hexagon sounds like a logical progression of the series. Generations of teenagers recruited to fight aliens and demons would eventually pool their resources to impart knowledge to a modern team, and of course the government would want to step in, but it would have required a ridiculous budget.

The only thing that doesn't click for me is why they'd put Tommy in charge. Fan favoritism and experience, sure, but I feel like someone would have eventually read his psych profile and stepped in, and a switch in who the sponsored mentor was mid-season from Tommy to Jason (Or anyone else, really.), and how that affected the entire operation, would be much more interesting than reiterating how awesome Tommy is ad nauseum.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 7, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They kind of did that in RPM. (Edit: Except I'm a complete idiot and am completely mis-remembering her origin. But, in my defense, Summer would totally have left some doofus at the altar to ride away on a yellow motorcycle, and it would have made her that much better.)

With all the people starting Jetman, there should be a podcast or something. It's everything I wanted with MMPR nostalgia, only legitimately great.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I imagine Rachel would have instantly told Cassie that she's Pink and swapped morphers, and Tobias is more of the traditional Blue nerd stereotype, but that is very eerie. Makes me want to re-read the series.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Followed by MMPR: The New Class, where Screech mentors a new team, but most everyone's given up on the series and asks "That's still a thing?" when told of its existence.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

greatn posted:

I don't know, I'm running out of 90s tween sitcoms. Welcome Freshman?

I'm so sorry.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Popping in for a season here and there seems pretty natural for Power Rangers. If a season doesn't appeal to you, there are no consequences for skipping it.

I watched every episode of MMPR through Zeo, checked out for Turbo, then came back for In Space, and got hooked again by SPD, Mystic Force, and RPM, with nothing in between but a few random episodes to see if the seasons I missed were worth watching.

Being a casual fan of the show instead of a die-hard, gotta-watch-every-episode fanboy means I enjoy it more and grant it a lot more leniency when it doesn't reach its full potential.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Astro Nut posted:

Cleanest pic yet:

What happened to the legs of the guy in the back?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Technicly, Venus mentally revived Oroku Saki, who is somehow different than The Shredder, and rehabilitated him over the course of a minute and a half. It was worse than if she had just straight up murdered him.

/sperg

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Or they could just show up for the crossover and when the Dino Charge crew ask what the deal is, they just wave it off. "You think your city is the only one attacked by 60-story monsters once a week? Pfft." Then disappear without saying goodbye when the day is saved.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How does Billy feel about trains?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I've been pecking at a mini-series of my own for the past couple years. It all stemmed from trying to figure out why hordes of aliens, mutants, and other monsters would travel from the far reaches of space and time and dark dimensions and wherever else to attack the one city that they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is protected by the one force in the universe that can stop them.

Have you looked into any of the other Super Sentai/Power Rangers/Voltron(-esque) comics out there? Tokusatsu on the whole seems like a genre custom built for the medium, but there's a surprising dearth of material. I thought Warren Ellis' Tokyo Storm Warning started pretty strong, but kind of ended with a a wet fart. Shogun Warriors and Giant Robo Warrior Maintenance Crew are both on my list to read next. Then there's the official MMPR stuff, I guess, though it looks a little dire.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Please let the yellow ranger be Black... Please let the yellow ranger be Black...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Light Gun Man posted:

Saban's the one with the knights or whatever

Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog was so strange. As the series progressed, it became increasingly clear that a faction of the crew genuinely wanted to adapt the Ulster Cycle into something palatable for kids, but they kept getting overruled with scripts about axes that shoot lasers and bad CGI monsters.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So, we're definitely getting a Green Ranger origin here, right? More than some post credits "Two can play at that game..." nonsense?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Maybe it's just her initial form. She can still go full Pippi Longstockings in Skeksis cosplay later.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Erin Cahill is very cute, and Jen was a fun character, but I don't remember her asking why her Zord has googily eyes, or why there are color-coded explosions behind her when she morphs sometimes.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Aww. Chase and his ladyfriend are still together and now he doesn't have to lie about sick fish anymore. This is a good show.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"His other ride is a van!" isn't much better, even if it doesn't reinforce stereotypes and tragic deaths.

Billy's other ride is a BUG :colbert:, thank you.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The coins give them kung fu powers. The armor lets them sync with the Zords.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
With only half a dozen episodes left, Dino Super Charge is really stepping up its game.

Although I shudder at the thought of what fanfic this last bodyswap episode inspired...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
C'mon, Rangers. At least try not getting mind-controlled for, like, two episodes in a row. It's embarrassing...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He's supposed to be a swordfish, so... Pisces? Seems like a weird choice to base the sentai with nine rangers off of twelve (or thirteen) constellations, but I approve of Silver using the rest of the fabric they didn't use for Kyoryuger.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Whoops. Just took it for granted that they'd all be astrological signs. Should have paid more attention to some of the others besides silver, black, and orange.

Saint Seiya would be good to revisit, though. Don't think I ever made it more than a dozen episodes in. I watched Ronin Warriors instead... :ughh:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I like "Magical Source, Mystic Force!" but I'm getting help for it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Caught up this morning.

First episode was a little rough, but it had a ton of exposition to get through. Second episode was a marked improvement except for the awkward editing at the end of the monster fight so they could save Shurikenjin for... reasons. Third episode? ... Eh?

The rubber ninja suits are goofy and unexplained, the Megazord reveal was kinda weak, AND they got an upgrade mode to control it, AND they got their communicators, AND...

Seems like they needed a three-parter to open the series and instead they got a two-parter with a slow start and a third episode with too much going on just to get to the status quo.

But... I kinda dig it? It's got a lot of the same spirit that Dino Charge recaptured.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Should we make a bigger jacket to fit him?"

"No. Just have him drape a regular one over his shoulder. Like a matador."

"... Brilliant."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Junpei Hyde posted:

How are those two series compared to the late saban/early disney era btw, cause thats the era I most remember watching. I understand that Samurai and megaforce are apparently bad.

Dino Charge is great. The team is no good against mind control.

Ninja Steel is a bit more... youthful. It could stand to focus more on its characters and less on its characters' antics, but is mostly enjoyable.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I really wanted just one more fight scene. Something forty minutes in or so.

Like, if the other Rangers had arrived to fight Rita and some Putties when Trini gets attacked, and then they all learn how to actually fight Putties in the simulation, which leads to the big finale after they've finally morphed...

Oh well.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The villains are good. Mick is good. The Zord gimmick is good. Two of them being in a relationship and it being no big deal is good. But just try and remember any of the rangers' names or not skipping ahead during the comic relief.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"...claimed to have stabbed the performer 15 years earlier and went 'to Comicon to finish the job...'"

More information on a 16-year-old supposedly stabbing JDF please. Like, all the information.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TFRazorsaw posted:

How do you do that with

1) Zordon's manipulations of the team so he can open the grid and reclaim his powers

Instead of Zordon trying to appeal to Jason, he appeals to Billy, who would naively get excited at the prospect of bringing someone back from the dead Morphing Grid until logic prevailed. Tie Zordon's surreptitious resurrection plot even closer to Billy's sacrifice and his realization that he doesn't miss his dad as much because of his new friends.

quote:

2) make it work with the whole issue that morphing relies on them working as a team and to come together and sync with each other

Have Trini's coin alert the others that Trini needs help immediately. The others TELEPORT to her side as she desperately fights a losing battle against Rita. The suits flash on and off as they help each other against Rita and her Putties. Rita gets progressively more nervous as she realizes that these punk kids are way closer to fully Rangering up than she would have ever thought and she needs to get her Krispy Kreme squared away.

The bones of an amazing movie are there but only half of them are from anything approximating the same skeleton.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Zach would be a better choice, but the movie would have to remember he exists, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

MisterBibs posted:

That doesn't fly because Zordon is a former Red appealing to the current Red. There's no theme or message behind Zordon trying to appeal to Billy. Remember, this is rear end in a top hat Zordon. There's the Red Ranger, and there's everyone else.

What do the colors actually mean? Anything? Zordon attempting to manipulate someone who he identifies as weak or challenged wouldn't help enforce the idea that he only cares about himself? Maybe that level of negligence is what sparked the rift between him and Rita. We don't know. We should.