Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So after a great absence, I decided to jump back onto Super Sentai and started to rewatch Dekaranger. The opening line is 'How far are you planning to go, you kabuto-faced bastard?'

Oh, TV-Nihon. Never change. No. Wait. Change. It's a word that can be translated. It means beetle. That's all it means. It even has alliteration which Ban would probably be all about. AGH.

Anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Started watching Ninja Steel. The girl playing Sarah is really cute. Other than that, I don't have much aside from I'm glad they're trying to slip the surly bonds of Sentai footage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

I did watch that episode again fairly recently and it is super fun.

Finished SPD. Overall it is amazingly fun and well written and I throughly enjoyed myself. It has one glaring issue for me. Ranger promotion pisses me off. I wouldn’t have minded so much if there had been any moment where Sky got called out for what he initially said about Syd being the leader, but that never happened so it’s like he got rewarded for doing the bare minimum as a decent human. Also Bridge got promoted but Z and Syd stay at the same level? That’s absolute trash. It’s even more annoying for me because on the whole SPD treated its female characters really well.

Yeah. I guess they maybe didn't want to make an SPD red suit Syd's size? Which is a weaksauce excuse, but it's the only thing I can think of. Syd is one of my favorite female rangers in the franchise, so I'm pretty biased. (It's funny, I like Syd more than Umeko but I like Jasmine more than Z. Put them together and I'd be in hog heaven.)

quote:

Suits are still stylish as gently caress. I love what they did with the Dekaranger footage and the creating of original characters like Boom, Piggy, SOPHIE, and the A Squad. The Dino Thunder crossovers were really fun to me (also that Tommy impersonation was hilarious).

The only problems I have with the series really is A) needs more RIC (but he was probably expensive to do a lot with) and 2) they never really explored why Mora wanted to be a kid all the time. (Or they did and I just forgot.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

I, too, have an unpopular take! Jack is better than Ban. Houji is better than Sky.

I can see that. Ban isn't the critical mass of Idiot Red syndrome so I don't hate him, but he doesn't grow as much as Jack does.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember seeing the flick the movie opening night and the theater was pretty crowded. The 'that's not a girl cow' standard joke got some charity chuckles, but people genuinely laughed at 'You slapped me!' 'Yeah, weird, right?' and loosened up and seemed to really like it. There was applause at the end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

The PR movie gave us their version of Billy, which automatically makes it one of the most important versions of Power Rangers ever made.

And also Trini, maybe. I'm not certain if that was ever confirmed or just wishful thinking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Go Go Power Rangers the comic is nice in that it gives Jason some backstory. The reason he's training to be Captain America Red is because he used to be a bully. Also it gives Trini things to do aside from... uh... care about the environment maybe? (Zach still kinda gets shafted, at least in the first trade.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hope Shattered Grid comes out in a nice big trade or two.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Welp, that's a hardcover for me, then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is HyperForce really that tied in to stuff? Do I need to watch several, several hours of a Twitch stream?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks for the responses. I realize my post came off a bit too harsh about HyperForce - I watched a little and it seemed fun. I mean, Paul Schrier hasn't become less charming over time. I just wondered if I needed to play a severe case of catch-up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

$240 for everything is a bit rich for my blood.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SpazmasterX posted:

I'd only consider it if they hit all their stretch goals.

Yeah, I could see that. The KS exclusives (in general, not just here) can die in a fire, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

Tommy's PHD is actually from a community college. That's why he thinks a dimetredon is a dinosaur.

Now I hope he was a Greendale Human Being.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

And they make it really clear over the course of the season that his wooing of Ms. Fairweather is not unwelcome. I’m about 4 episodes from the end and there are several times where the interest is obviously mutual. This isn’t Jake/Gia.

She seems receptive, but something Wacky keeps coming up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been watching Hyperforce (I guess now because I don't need to) and I have to say Cristina Vee as Hyper Black was pretty impressive when she was turning against the team for reasons. Like, completely stone cold about it. I know she's an actor and all, but even the CR guys will break character a little.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do keep meaning to ask what are the best Sentai seasons Shout! Factory has available. I'm looking at Timeranger and Jetman thus far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MisterBibs posted:

What sort of demands has ASJ made?

I've said it before, I think, but behind-the-scenes stuff about Power Rangers is more entertaining than most Power Rangers.

There is an amazing book out there waiting to be written. I just found out about the Overdrive thing which led to somebody saying a few pages back "Operation Overdrive featured a thief, and also somebody who had that role on the show."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

He refused to return it when they contacted him and explained it.

And didn't they all know it (or the proceeds) were going to charity initially anyway?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

This such a bad idea I'm glad they didn't go that direction.

Only acceptable way to dump someone is a dear John letter.

That would have been ridiculously awkward. Possibly more so because I doubt they would have touched on it much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love that for an extended stretch Rita, Zedd and all were living out of a camper not unlike Pearl Forrester, Brain Guy and Bobo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't Lothor's nieces get happy endings? I thought they became ninja students.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

As popular as the Green Ranger was, the show was a massive success long before he showed up. I still remember how hard it was just to find any PR merchandise on store shelves as a kid.

Oh, man. And you think toy scalping can be bad today. (It can, but still.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It took until getting to the Moon Landing Rangers, but the main MMPR comic finally clicked for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Read the Shattered Grid finale. It’s loaded with lots of nods to famous comic superheroes and other big events in those comics, it does feel very heavily focused on Tommy being more awesome than everyone, and you get this feeling of “he hosed up the entire franchise just to achieve THAT?” In a lot of ways, Drakkon’s end goal is pretty similar to some Sentai villains, and it’s not inappropriate. It’s just... wildly reverential to DC Comics in particular in how it gets there.

As someone that rode the Drakkon-is-Zedd train very hard, I’m sort of okay with getting nothing on that. All the usual bite the bullet consequences of a comic playing too aggressively with its own lore are invoked, including the universe trying to digest out of place people and events by changing them. I still think a page of a ranger’s skin being ripped off with energy while their armor fused onto them would be an amazing visual, but I also kind of didn’t want one of the show’s best villains being made Another Evil Tommy even though I was eager to accept it.

It was an okay issue, but if you’re an MMPR fan and not a fan of the superhero comics industry in general then #30 will be the peak of the story for you. Because this is very much a comics writer ending a big comics event in the accepted comics industry style, and not really Power Rangers as you know it.

When I saw Drakkon owned a dojo and who the instructor was, I felt like I had entered JDF’s mind.

One small neat thing that I didn't think I would ever say is I'd really like a one-shot at least of Lauren. It's easy to make me like, say, Jen. Lauren was trickier.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Its a lil vague and supposed to still be incanon but now we'll only see them in gogo while the main comic deals with lostest galaxy

Now I kind of want Go Go to deal with the civilian lives of every Ranger team, even if some would probably be more interesting than others. "Today in Go Go Mystic Force - adventures in small business music retail!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Go Go Ninja Storm would be fun. It’s a life of surfing and skating and more dirt bikes than Heisei Rider. And then on top of that like a cherry it’s also Naruto.

Also with a dash of small business management. I like that shop could support itself on extreme sports.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You find neat things at DragonCon sometimes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SpazmasterX posted:

Aaaaand the Kickstarter is over (more or less). Lauren was the final stretch goal and the $600k mark has been passed. All that's left is the wait for the final total.

Glad they made it that far, but couldn't justify that much for a giant board game I wouldn't play. (I have enough of those already, thanks.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

Also Boukenger. People need to watch Boukenger. It’s so good.

Boukenger is as good as Overdrive isn't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I thought most people have said that casting a black guy as the Black Ranger and an Asian girl as the Yellow Ranger was a genuine goof. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

However, it was Operation Overdrive. And then the dude stole a signed banner?

Yup. One to be sold for charity, as I understand it. And it came out it was very clearly not an accident, a "whoops, I walked off with this" deal but the guy decided to take what was not his.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Tommy hanging out with Dawn Summers, Ritchie Valens, and Jack Bauer.

Also Chavez E. Chavez.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's hard to overstate how popular the Dragon Megazord was. Kids thought that was the tits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of Beast Machines plays like the writers had had a 7 year old who'd just drunk a WHOLE lot of Sunny D explain the plot and characters of Beast Wars to them, and no other context. It has Cheetor being the coolest Maximal, has Rattrap being an actual coward instead of a pessimist, flips the Blackarachnia/Silverbolt dynamic in a way that completely neuters the former's character by making her the pining damsel... and yeah, Rhinox's whole shitshow.

In hindsight, it feels obvious that Hasbro didn't want the guys behind Beast Machines to watch Beast Wars because that certainly shows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd love an ongoing of their PR team made up of PR randos and led by Lauren.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Always seems kind of a shame to only have one female Ranger on a team these days. The suits look cool, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I will never hate the idea of more RIC, no matter the vector.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Z was passed over for promotion and put on administrative leave after it was discovered she was doing burlesque shows in her full uniform.

Who knew there were such strict rules on moonlighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How old were the team in ToQger supposed to be? I didn't watch much of it but they didn't seem super old or anything.