Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I loved this show for many years, but I learned long ago to not let my love of the characters attach to the actors themselves. It's weird when your favorite ranger character has a drug problem, or has a really lovely affair, or I guess kills someone (possibly in self defense?)

I haven't watched this show or it's Japanese counterpart since Mystic Force. Maybe I'll watch this dinosaur show just because Dino Thunder was the last one I liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So I haven't paid any attention to this poo poo. Have they said whether the movie is going to have a Bulk & Skull?

I'm looking at these shots and while I was fine with the ranger suit designs, I'm slowly getting worried over direction. Power Rangers was a show that ended half it's episodes with a fat guy getting pied in the face; kind of an awful moral but a fairly accurate indicator of the show's tone. If they're going serious faced Pacific Rim with this property they're going to screw it up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yes, Pacific Rim was good but MMPR was very much not Pacific Rim in it's day.

This seems like it's trending closer to that, perhaps because that grim five-minute fan film got such a reaction. I wouldn't totally Scooby-Doo it but don't be afraid of a little camp. Rita looks campy as hell though so we'll see.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Wait, is the show worth watching anymore? The last season I remember people applauding was RPM, and that came after years of poo poo.

Every glance I've seen since they moved to Nick was that the "enjoyable storytelling" was cranked far down and the "moving merchandise" was cranked up. I tried, I guess it was Samurai, and it basically was CW Guys/Girls transform into Toys Near You. Like they went from a guilty pleasure show with butt rock music cues in the earliest seasons, to Baby's First Star Trek for a couple really good years, to just remaking the sentai shows with a few twists here and there that wasn't worth watching for, had that RPM moment and then finally settled on Soulless Toy Commercial.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Going to repost myself:

It's MMPRTM with modern YA story beats replacing inexplicable skydiving sequences and a fat guy dancing the swim. There will be fewer one liners because it'll be taking itself more seriously, but whether or not that's actually progress is debatable since it's generally better when campy movies are self-aware.

At least this time you know going in that it's a totally odd canon of it's own, and won't be confused like you were in PR96 when Goldar hung out with a pigman or they busted out radar visors and whips.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

This looks like it's going to be the best kind of cheesy. Fingers crossed for the greatest Sentai -> Rangers improvement yet.

What would the current title holder be?
Goseiger -> Megaforce?
Ohranger -> Zeo?
Abaranger -> DinoThunder?
ToQger -> Literally Nothing?

Like nobody has a burning hatred for Gingaman or TimeRanger so the seasons people over 25 tend to hold up as the best production domestically are out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/817545197848408065

Your source to spend over $200 on a Red Ranger shirt. I don't understand why the dude in green has a triceratops on his HoboRanger outfit like some kind of cheap knockoff product but also I don't understand designer fashion.

There's also a design that's full of Japanese text with IT'S MORPHIN TIME written in very small words on the bottom, because cultural appropriation should be a two-way street.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The best adaptions are often the ones that invent new villains out of whole cloth. The only one of the Disney series that really stand out to me are DinoThunder and Ninja Storm, which both did that. And of course Zeo managed to go in interesting new directions because they were aware how limited Mondo & Family were and jammed Zedd & Rita back into it.

The scene where Zedd decides he needs to help Jason to spite the machines and Rita faints is one of my favorites.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 8, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
In Space was more like private discussions among producers and higher-ups.

I only watched a couple episodes of RPM and thought "well this isn't for me," but it being good at all is amazing because it was only made at Bandai's insistence that they were owed one more season of toy commercials. It could have just been another Operation Overdrive where no shits are given.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm going to admit I've never seen Megaforce, but Goseiger has a pretty bad reputation. Not Nininger bad, but down there somewhere. Whereas everybody fuckin' loves Gokaiger.

I always intended to watch it, just because I'm curious to see if Nu-Saban can hit that Old Saban nostalgia bone better than the "just missed the mark" level that Disney repeatedly did in things like putting Tommy in DinoThunder, or that one Overdrive special. From what I understand, fans of the dub wound up salty because Gokaiger's one big Zyuranger cameo has them getting their asses kicked, and the localization didn't bother to do anything to change that. One YouTuber made a video where the MMPR theme is pulled off with a record scratch and "gently caress YOUR CHILDHOOD" flashes on the screen while the monster of the day trashes the Zyuranger/MMPR.

I always was of the impression that the entire season was one long excuse slog to get to the Giant Super Team Up special.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Super Sentai has been about FILEZ for about 13 years, and before that it was barely seen by anyone aside from some early to mid 80s dubs in Latin America and at least one series popping up in Hawaii. Pre-Zyu series were usually only licensed to make late-night gag dubs where some aspiring comedian pulled all the dialogue out of his rear end. Zyu-onwards was one of those things people were curious about, but wouldn't see for many years because Saban had too much money at stake in applying his layer of cultural re-appropriation. You just confuse kids looking to buy toys if you let things like "did you know Trini is actually a guy" become part of the target audience's common knowledge.

Even FILEZ took a long time relative to anime like Dragonball etc, because it was assumed to be one of those licenses that would be quick to legal threats so long as it could still be a huge moneymaker for Saban and Bandai.

It's sort of like how Sailor Moon fandom was, for various reasons, stuck trading tapes for 17 years until Viz finally landed the license in 2014. Except Sailor Moon had otaku purists criticizing it for most of those 17 years. Power Rangers had a larger and more vocal core fandom, so any type of otaku purity movement would end up having the mother of all subs vs dubs wars with the people who genuinely loved Zordon-era PR.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 8, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Abaranger had a lot of terrible episodes, and at some point either DT was going to have to be a shortened series, or have to change things dramatically the way MMPR did, or just dive into the insane stupid poo poo head-on the way Turbo did. They opted for #2, with one episode showing you why they didn't do #3. I mean, what are you supposed to do with an entire episode about a cartoon character from another IP on the network popping into reality?

People were only mad because at that point the sentai fandom was basically focused around TV-Nihon, which at the time was led by people who would actually ban you for saying you like PR more, give you steely glares for liking both programs, etc. The amount of groupthink enforced by their admins at the time basically demanded that episode be seen a most dire insult.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Star Man posted:

Something interesting about Sailor Moon was DiC had dubbed episodes all the way to the end of R, but the last fourteen episodes or so never aired in the US, but did in Canada. They were finally aired in the US on Toonami in December, 1998.

I remember they were just about ready to rumble with that douche and his sisters, and then the episodes suddenly stopped. I also remember it showing up on Toonami, but by that point I had lost interest.

My point of comparison is that Sailor Moon fans had enough purists to shake that license out of the hands of the toy marketers who would rather westernize it for American girls in the 90s. They were, however, no happier in the 2000s, because while ADV's dub of seasons 1&2 was better than DiC's was, their subtitles weren't accurate enough for fandom and their video was the same footage DiC used and had periodic content edits. ADV blamed this on Toei.

PR never had that kind of thing, because PR had a fairly vocal teenage/YA contingent that liked the localized show and would have enjoyed having access to the originals but wasn't going to scream about it. The show's writers realized it by the second season, because the episode where Zedd re-summons Scorpina to flirt with Adam was designed to pander to the older fans. Kids didn't care, but older fans were frustrated by Scorpina's only periodic appearances at Rita's side and how after Zedd appeared she seemed to have been forgotten completely, and the ship tease was right in their wheelhouse.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I can remember watching dubbed Sailor Moon on tv as a kid on UPN I think.

It was syndication, but UPN/WB affiliates needed something to air outside of prime time so it often ended up there.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 8, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since I have a Giants avatar, I am obligated to mention that in the original script the baseball player was only referred to as "Bonds". :allears:

I seem to remember they kept the part where the raptors show up with gigantic oversized piggy banks that look like cats, and they try to capture all the giant coins the monster is shooting with these huge kitty banks and then the slot is jammed and explosions and sparklers result. That episode was just ridiculous.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Star Man posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that reads this thread and has to refer to a chart to keep track of which Power Rangers series is an adaptation of its Super Sentai source. Nevermind that I can only date three Power Rangers seasona after In Space because I grew out of the show at the beginning of Turbo.

I can name each up to Mystic Force/Magiranger. I stopped watching every episode when I reacted negatively to Lightspeed. Being able to watch both series dragged me back in for a few years, and then I drifted off again. I should have come back for either Gekiranger or Jungle Fury, since I really liked those costumes, but my life was in a really awkward place in 2007.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
No memes

I mean, this is kind of a big time for the franchise even if you don't care about the movie, with the Ninja Steel premiere and the Justice League crossover comic and the recent adjustment the mainline comic made to the White Ranger. They have a lot they could talk about than social media memes. Sonic the Hedgehog's account does that a lot, too, but they have a lot less to be excited about.

But still... no memes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I understand, but you can't avoid the connection to the cheezburger pictures and "everybody loves cats on YouTube" phenomenon.

There's been some really great PR parodies, especially at the height of it's fame. Animaniacs. MAD Magazine. That one ReBoot episode that was loaded with toku references in general. During season one/two original airing there was a guy making parody scripts for EVERY EPISODE. I'm not saying the cat video is good or bad (wouldn't be fair, I'm not watching it) but the context of being an official viral video promotion makes it a little more :rolleyes: worthy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

It's super not clear. There's some Alternate Universe where an evil Ranger and Rita(?) took over the Earth, and his costume is basically a fusion of the Green and White Ranger.

My working theory was that this was Eltar, and Rita took over after locking Zordon into his tube. Has that one been disproven yet?

The Phantom Ranger sort of opened this idea that maybe dudes in ranger costumes was something Zordon brought from his world.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

You would adore Liveman

Up until the party becomes five people. Then it becomes a cocaine fueled fantasy of pregnant men and heroic sacrifices by oversized centipedes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

There's an episode where one of the new guys is impregnated with an alien. And while they don't actually use the word abortion, he basically tries to get an abortion and the voice of the alien baby in his big pregnant belly begs to not be aborted. The climax is this becomes a one episode father figure relationship, naturally.

Another episode had the villain's plot causing the side-effect of massive bugs. So you have giant centipedes and spiders etc that are basically men in suits crawling around on the floor. At one point, a lethal blast is fired at our heroes, and a giant centipede makes a slow-motion heroic sacrifice leap to save them. And then everyone sheds a tear for the heroism of the centipede, taking the show's theme of "fighting for all living things" to it's limits.

Liveman has some other silly stuff, but most of it rules: One episode starts with a gangster based on too many 80s Stallone/Arnold movies, chasing the monster of the day (who just knocked the Livemen out of their costumes), beating the poo poo out of it with fists and chains, and then he ties it up to his motorcycle and drives away dragging the monster on the road.
That guy becomes a regular character, and what I just described is actually the most boring part of his story.

It's an okay show, ending is disappointing but the road there was good. Yellow Lion is one of the better sentai heroes I've seen so far.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 15, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've only ever completed three shows, I've had one good and two pretty bad. PR generally does a better job with endings, it seems, even if the path to it is sometimes more torturous.

I'm going to start Jetman eventually. Out of the pre-Zyu series, Liveman and Jetman stuck out to me as trying something different. After that, I'll go Zyu onwards.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

G-III posted:

/edit: you kids weren't kidding around about Liveman. Right in the first episode two college aged youngsters get murked by some fellow punk rear end class members who piss on their space station project.

The fact that the heroes and the enemy generals are former classmates is, in fact, the compelling drive of the story.
Supposedly, Saban had been trying to sell a localized Super Sentai clone to networks dating back to 84 or so. In an interview I read somewhere, some executive recalls meeting him and he showed them Bioman and tried to pitch them on it. I only wonder what his take on Liveman would have looked like, because it's basically "what if Bulk & Skull were smart, became Goldar & Rito, and killed everyone in the high school?"

EDIT: One thing I did like was that, for the first twenty episodes or so, the ex-classmates evil plots sort of have a consistency. Kemp is largely a biologist and his plans involve a lot of genetics, blood types, etc. Mazenda is the clear chemist because her plans often involve evil gases, mind-control potions, etc. Obler is just trying too drat hard and becomes the morality tale. Like everything else, this goes to rot about halfway into the show when both sides start adding more members and the writers start snorting too much 80s coke.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 15, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DoctorWhat posted:

What bad blood developed between Saban and JDF?

He was in that super enormous team up at the end of the retro-themed season a couple years ago.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Given that Bandai is making re-issues of In Space toys, I think the IP rights are all still consolidated in one place.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Yeah, I'm probably going to see the movie now after that trailer.

I'm not paying full price, of course.

I may pay over full price for the stupid D-Box thing, because the surcharge always scared me away from that thing and if I was going to pay that kind of money for anything, it'd be for a giant zord fight on the screen like this. Or failing that, a lovely Imax transfer or something.

Or I could just hold my money for several years until Pacific Rim 2, but I'm not holding my breath.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

Wait what?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLwDRfSj4Aq/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Paying three digit prices for Bandai figures? It better be at six feet tall or else they're assuming nobody has noticed their quality over the last, oh, quarter-century.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thoughts:
It's interesting that Red actually lived with the bad guys for about a decade. You'd think then that he would know them by name. Today's monster was frequently referred to as "that guy" and was knocked out for three minutes by a skater collision and then blown up by half a team. Too bad, he had a kind of cool design.

Male shirtlessness from a non-red ranger for once? :heysexy:

When the jock dude and the nerd showed up, I could hear the Bulk & Skull tuba theme in my head. And the actual music even seemed vaguely evocative of it. And then the guy humiliated himself, just like Bulk on the skateboard.

Is this supposed to be the future? I'm not sure why they have hoverboards, but I'm hoping this "close future" setting has a purpose. PR has done this sort of stuff many times before, like Lost Galaxy's shift off 90s Earth to a colony, but it usually serves a story purpose.

My only nitpick is the bad guy game show thing (a concept so amusing it actually raised my interest in watching) was on this Flying Fortress with the most video game rear end graphics I've seen on this show. I'd rather watch the same shot of a model airship than watch a mediocre CGI one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"Wild access, huh!" is actually my least favorite call ever. I can't think of a show that had a generic "[season name] power, go!" except for DinoThunder, and it made up for that in other ways.

I always liked the rhyming calls, but "ninja steel, star reveal" definitely has that 'couldn't think of a good call' feeling.

"Shift into Turbo" was cringe to me at the time, but I think it was the stupid steering wheel motion they made with their hands. Too bad they called that show Turbo and wasted the name Overdrive on an even less enjoyable show.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Light Gun Man posted:

I still like how they are like randomass american teen fuckups who all...go to a top secret ninja school. What the hell, how did that ever even happen?

So far, I feel that show did a better job of integrating a ninja power into it's world than Ninja Steel did in it's first episode. Part of it is that PRNS is really a power ranger styled TMNT, right down to the snarky self-aware bad guy who is a former associate of the sensei. I guess the other part of it is that Naruto happened right at about the same time. Now that I've watched Liveman, in hindsight there's a lot of similarities too (semi-serious red ranger, carefree male yellow ranger with an alternative sports hobby, booksmart female blue ranger, two guys that show up after the story was established) but that wasn't likely to be intentional. That said, Toei absolutely just did "Liveman but in CGI" in the design of the first three zords.

deadly_pudding posted:

It still doesn't explain why these top secret ninja teens are such huge fuckups, though :v:

I seem to remember that in both NS and Hurricanger the school's competent ninjas are all defeated in the opening minutes, leaving the fuckups to inherit the school's ranger powers.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 24, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't see a huge problem in mostly direct adaptions if the show is capable of it. Some shows aren't, because they're just loaded down with so much cultural context ("hey look, it's dude from other show on this network!") that they don't work well with a completely different cast on a completely different network in a completely different country.

For me it's like, the first season adds some trivial Saved By The Bell stuff to the Zyuranger formula, and it was great. In Space came up with a totally different concept and when they were re-using footage they were usually suggesting the footage had a totally different meaning and context than what it was originally depicting. And that show was also great.

I never watched Samurai but it's becoming glaringly obvious why I have so much trouble watching PR over the past ten yeras. There's a lot of bad New Zealand actors trying to keep their accents down (though they seem to be slowly flying more Americans out). The characters rarely get to have any kind of presence and few of them are memorable because they aren't designed to impart any kind of memory outside of their season. It also feels like the advent of HDTV makes the cuts feel so much more obvious than they used to, part of the reason I'm forcing myself to give Ninja Steel more than the 2-5 episodes I gave the rest is because Chip Lynn likes using original footage and might make a character that tells a memorable story rather than contributing to the revolving door of disposable rangers who battle their evil foe and then disappear forever and are never missed.

It helps, I suppose, that the show they're working from is regarded by everyone as terrible, so they have a lot of room to just make poo poo up. And more often than not in PR the stuff I've liked most over the years is stuff they made up: Lord Zedd, the quasi-Star Trek vibe of the Megaship, most of Lost Galaxy, etc.

That's sort of the big break between the two shows, in my opinion. Sentai fans are used to expecting no connective tissue between their shows except for the occasional team-up special where the writers don't bother to explain it and don't really consider it part of either show's story. Whereas even when PR began resetting every year, teamup shows were usually a pretty big deal either for both shows or even for the lineage of the entire franchise.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 26, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had less of a problem with how the monster gets big and more of a problem that they killed the giant monster by... shooting him with their sidearm?

I guess they're saving the Megazord for the next episode, but that seems unnecessary.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
RPM was Nobody Gives A poo poo: The Show. They only made it because Bandai dragged them to the set by the nose.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My dumb prediction: I think movie Zordon was the previous red ranger. TV MMPR always made very vague allusions to previous generations of rangers (the power transfer sword, Rita holding onto a green coin from who knows what event, etc). It's one of those things fans just learned to accept, similar to how Zedd has no origin story except one off-hand snark about the Zeo Crystal disfiguring him.

I'll bet anything that the "ancient warriors" team before Jason & Co was Zordon as Red. Especially since it's looking like Rita is/was green and MMPR has always thrived off that red vs green 'who's the alpha' dynamic.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 18, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Those are great, though they remind me that I'm due to have some issues ahead trying to digest the movies. Because if I had to pick two things that are iconic to Power Rangers as a nostalgia brand worth capitalizing on, sure the Zyuranger suits are important but Ron Wasserman's butt-rock score full of harmonies and screeching guitar solos is the other.

The movie, the adaption of the pirate sentai, etc all sort of comes close to what I want but never quite gets there. If they were to ever shoot HD footage with a bunch of fight choreography in the Zyuranger costumes AND the audio guys put "We Need A Hero" to it... It would be like that one South Park capture of a guy who came all over the room.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A whole bunch of countries have sentai re-dubbed as-is under the "Power Rangers" brand.

There was a live stage show in Malaysia last year that used the PR name and included the ToQgers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The movie has a credits stinger.

Here's hoping it's CGI Dragonzord coming out of the bay.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

jivjov posted:

"Hey Zordon, why do I have a black suit and a green zord?"

"I dunno; my tiki head buddy said it was a good idea"

Smebody on Tumblr made an image of the original ranger suits wearing the white ranger's shield with a power coin style graphic of the Thunderzord beast in the middle where white has his symbol.

They should have done that, if just to give the suits a new look. But they also really wanted to use that Zyu2 footage of fighting a monster whose costume was shipped to America to film more footage. Oh well. And yet they liked the idea of power coin graphics on the chest enough to do them in the movie.

On a side note, man I miss everybody hopping into their cockpits with a one-liner.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 15, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They're still writing "AHHHHHH" at the start of episodes. I suspect that'll quit by Zeo and it's far superior "zeoooo gooooooo zeeoooo" open.

Watching this now I realize that Jason was the best ranger and I was a fool to be part of the Tommy fan club. Also since people are watching this who weren't even alive in the Zordon era and are just now paying attention to it, oh boy oh boy is Countdown To Destruction going to be BibleThump Central if it doesn't air at 3AM Monday morning or some poo poo.

Finally, I didn't realize Jason went to Poor VO Imitation in the middle of an episode. drat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

parallelodad posted:

then his tube got jacked on the way to his home planet.

I was always under the assumption that Zordon's homeworld was taken by Dark Specter, and the SOS that sent him home was a ruse to kidnap him. Especially since while he's gone, the Phantom Ranger from the same homeworld shows up, acting solemn and mysterious and throwing weapons galore at the Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just love physical, highly animated zords like the red dragon and white tiger. The lion from Liveman, etc. Just that vaguely janky bipedal animation is better than a rolling tank or some flying inanimate object.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 15, 2017