Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

2. This is better than it has any right to be. Solid writing, effects, and actors way above the caliber of this kind-of nonsense. Making the emotional fulcrum about child soldiers was brilliant.

4. There is no way in the 7 hells that anything like this would ever come to fruition in a project bigger than this, so dash your hopes right this loving instant you weird-rear end fans. Remember that "realistic" Mortal Kombat short from like 2009? Best case scenario with this is the exact same deal.
The effects are pretty good. I mean, there's a bunch of useless This Is The Future poo poo with the interfaces going on, but the cityscapes are well rendered. This is going to be some young Blomkamp type CGartists' portfolio centerpiece or springboard.

Unfortunately the script is out of some 13 year old's fanfiction.net account. Power-rangers, but evil. Child Soldiers is a hosed up idea but everyone just picks up with their lives after. and Replacement Red has a scar that mirror's Tommy's because I played Final Fantasy 8 at some point and it was awesome. Also we use guns a lot because.

The MK short worked because MK was all about gore and ridiculous levels of kung fu cruft. The short was also a pretty well written, if slightly unbelievable, thing.
This is just bad.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

It's definitely schlock, but considering the source material and the concept it's about it reads pretty well.
I can appreciate the effort it took, but bad writing is still bad writing.

"You don't look good covered in bullshit!" "I prefer PINK! is as bad as the toad-lightning line in the original X-Men.

But if you like this, maybe you would like to fund my Kickstarter reversioning of the Magic School Bus (Spoiler, Frizzle is actually The Doctor from a slideways reality and the Tardis is locked into a schoolbus and the kids are all companions, but they die during the adventures and the Tardis abducts kids from other realities to replace them because Frizzle lost it when the kids from her reality died. It's really a metaphor for empty nest syndrome).

Little Mac posted:

It's light years ahead of what the show has, like, ever done.
Timeforce came pretty close to being enjoyable without being total crap.
And the original Green with Evil storyline wasn't terrible.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 24, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

It so isn't. The lightning line is so infamous we can reference it 15 years after the fact and people still know what the gently caress you're talking about. You're not going to remember the "I prefer pink" line by the end of the week.
X-Men was also a big budget movie that pretty much got everything but that line right, so it stuck out like a sore thumb.

quote:

Execution matters in the end, and they executed the schlock writing they had well.
Hiring professionals probably helped with that. But just because it's schlock doesn't give it a pass. This is probably the place where we come to a disagreement, because while it's highly polished and well put together, it's still a grimdark turd that's more in line with a Robot Chicken sketch.
I'm not denying the artistry and talent behind this, mind you. It just doesn't come together for me.

quote:

Neither were even close to this...
This is correct, but only because those two were in line with what made the show enjoyable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Every time a bad guy shows up that's too powerful for the current Rangers and they need a new toy your parents buy you weapon? That's planned obsolescence. Cities live in constant fear that they will be the next battleground in this fabricated war that has claimed millions and generated trillions in revenue for the people at the top.
Congrats on creating SPD?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Never saw it. What do you mean?
It was mostly a joke, but SPD is actually, like, a law enforcement outfit. I think there's a few scenes of Delta Red harassing street criminals and poo poo in the series run.

But as with all LEOs, there's a group that goes renegade and SPD Delta squad has to order tactical SWATstyle gear and... it's a pretty odd look at law enforcement militarization if you strip away the kiddie fare.

So basically you have a galactic group of power-ranger cops running around power rangering in the name of the law. Sounds like a great Zord Industrial Complex thing similar to what was being proposed up there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

A "serious and mature" take on Sentai would involve the child soldiers angle and be about "boring" things like the politics of government and intergalatic alien factions, the role of media in engaging these Sentai characters, and how such fallout affects their personal lives and relationships, with fights to punctuate things like musical numbers. Played right with rival Sentai characters for the other armies and it could actually be pretty interesting, almost Game of Thrones-y with an even more basic "Allegiances to one of several Houses" angle to it to keep the soap operatics fresh and engaging. Violence and Sex don't even enter the equation except as flavor.
You could go the route of the Evil Villain actually motivated by society shunning him (they did that with Ransik in TF). Or the Mentor Figure actually suppressing rival factions. Or the Power Corrupts angle. Or a longform mystery thread where the heroes find that their predecessors were actually war criminals/evil, or that their powers are harmful somehow. But then it wouldn't be Power Rangers.

In contrast, the best Power Rangers movie we've had so far (Pacific Rim) showed how giant punchfights with monsters could be funny.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Light Gun Man posted:

*because like, there's no retarded accent monster or intentionally obnoxious character or alpha 5
I'm surprised there wasn't a scene where a vivisected Alpha 5 begs Tommy to kill him because the Machine Empire turned him into a data hub and his life is pain ay yai yai yai yai

SPD executes a dude based on 'strong arm' robbery and the body position shows he was probably shot in the back? gently caress guys, that Officer Wilson was probably an SPD cadet and that dude really DiD show his Hulk Hogan Demon Side.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jivjov posted:

Well I'm glad I downloaded a copy yesterday then. Was there any difference between the vimeo version and the YouTube one?

Big rear end titties

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I remember being deeply amused when I discovered VR Troopers was three entirely unrelated shows tack-welded together. It turned out pretty good, to my memory.
On rewatches, it's pretty drat apparent when the shows cut together, what with all the "You two, take care of this villain while I do something else!" that Kikaidude goes through.

The name VR Troopers was pretty awesome though. Unfortunately it was the lesser of the VR-based giant robot fighting spirit franchises once Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad hit the airwaves.

I never quite felt that the faux diversity sitcom stuff behind Masked Rider gelled with the show. Making it a solo hero show kind of dampened the fun of guys in suits fighting other guys in suits, since there wasn't much more to bring in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Testekill posted:

It has tonal issues ...
It's also the one that says 'gently caress dinosaurs or mythical ninja creatures, we be driving TRUCKSZZ; gently caress this Zordon guy bring in Mystic Enigma Woman; gently caress these actors from 1993, NEW BLOOD CHANGING OF THE GUARD; gently caress ugly scary enemies, we need goofy as gently caress fuckers everywhere'

It really broke with the conventions everyone expected. I'm pretty sure its the one with a 7 year old as a ranger, as well. And it led to a crossover with that terrible Ninja Turtles show. Its sins are many, but it also delivered onto us PRiS.

forgive the faulty memory there.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 19, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth TNT posted:

I kinda like it, though it looks more like a henchwoman.
Henchwoman?

So after the Hero Victory ending , you get a 10 second MK:the Movie style teaser where Lord Zedd appears above the blood red skies of earth and taunts the Rangers?

:frogon:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Honestly rewatching on twitch just makes me realize what a clusterfuck it must have been to edit this show.
Plus it was in the pre-computer workflow times.

That dumb little cart that Bulk and Skull were jizzing over (High Definition!) probably wasn't too far removed from what they were working with. Maybe add an Amiga in for SFX.

How many episodes are we away from Contract Dispute Replacement Rangers?

And was this guy Trini's supposed to be crushing on being Beta Tested as Replacement Tommy?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Then it sucked even more when Kimberly left
It sucked that they rehashed the Tommy plotline.

But Kat was an Aussie so that was cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

Peace Conference has been mentioned! Surely this means nothing.
AWESOME. Can't wait for the Contract Dispute Replacement Rangers debuting soon.

And Serpentor, the absurdly overpowered zord with the battery life of a Sega Nomad.

Actually, what was the Sentai significance of Serpentor? Dude looked pretty end-boss.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

I too replace Halloween on my calendars with "Dark Dimension Monster Bash".
Dark Dimension... AKA Bakersfield or, like, Santa Clarita.

Tae posted:

The Aqua Ranger/Ninja saga hosed me over because I did not believe my eyes for like weeks when in Kakuranger, the Shogun megazord is the first one and the Ninja zord is the upgrade.
The Aquatar Alien Ranger psycho-mech zords were the jankiest go-bot looking shite ever. Same with the costumes.

Also LOL at Bulk and Skull going around like child molesters. And who the gently caress Trick or Treats in the middle of the day

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
REPLACEMENT RANGERS!

Blockhouse posted:

the loving balls it must take to run your show with only half of the primary cast available
The loving balls it must take to run your show around old Japanese footage. I mean, it's not like they didn't have experience making scenes out of thin air.

Big gamble on the parts of ASJ, TT, and WEJ, especially when you consider how impactful the addition of JDF was on the series. I guess they were relying on the producers' tendency to play it safe and not change anything.

WTF TRINI EDIT OUT OF NOWHERE

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 15, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blockhouse posted:

how does a human being even concieve of what is taking place right now
So we really, really need to fill this episode out a ton to make it a two-parter and not to tip our hand about replacing three of the series' iconic original characters.

Also kids love that in-line skating thing so lets make some badical skaterz as the new rangerkids.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They really milked this park setting for all it was worth, eh?

X-Treme Sports Rangers!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

Now, someone would leak that half of a low-budget but super-popular show want to be paid more for their roles and were thinking about leaving, and that would cause a lot of people to complain.
Or they would just do a blanket contract renegotiation like the guys from the BBT do. Sure Sheldon and Hot Girl get more than everyone, but Jewish Guy and Indian Dude get a slight bump as well and everyone's happy.

I'd have to imagine that the danger in renegotiating was in opening the door for a kickback from all the toys and whatnot.

quote:

Sure, we joke about her in girl scout uniforms and stuff, but so far she hasn't been clad in things that are particularly form-fitting or anything. poo poo, Trini would wear stuff that showed her belly off more.
It's safer to sexualize the exotic asian girl than the clean cut whitebread girl.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

Tommy was cool up through Zeo but goddamn does JDF have that "don't you know who I am, I'm the Power Rangers" thing going on from time to time.
His MMA career and JESUS DIDN'T TAP tattoo really make you :stonk:

I think he had aspirations of being a Bruce Lee type of icon, bringing Martial Arts education to the masses through branded dojos.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So this is one of those "gently caress, the actors are all in Australia and we have a loving DEADLINE FOR A NEW SHOW" episodes, isn't it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

Finster has the ability to turn an older Japaneese lady whose lips move differently than her speech into an attractive spanish lady whose audio lines up.
Filipino, but yeah.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ohhhhh gently caress it is on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

"Are those hi-ya's really necessary?"
No.

They really need the "Sik, Sik" before them to be effective.

Hah, more like AnSHIT zords. Lookit those things.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Noooooo, Falconzord :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I want a show about nothing but Bulk and Skull doing dumbass things. Now. When they're in their forties.
Samurai has Bulk take care of Skull's son (Spike) and teach him how to be a Power Ranger supporter or something.

It's actually a well written and fun part.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have to say this US footage isn't as balls-to-the-wall amazing as the sentai footage. Way less reverse-jumping off of cliffs and wirework.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

That reminds me to ask, how are they actually streaming this? Like, one big video? Set up to just load PowerRangersSXEX2.mpg after PowerRangersSXEX1.mpg?
Considering how they've broken the stream and replayed whole/sections of episodes, probbaly a playlist.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God this drat Alien Ranger hydration plot is boring as all gently caress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
End of an era coming up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Protip posted:

I loved Zeo when I was a kid. I still remember the lead up to it as well. They teased a few seconds of the new intro each day, adding on to it a little bit each time until Zeo finally arrived. :.
:chorus: IT'S COMIN'!:chorus:

I remember those little bugs at the end of each episode. Cool as poo poo for a kid.

Also, this is about the time where I jump off the stream. THe film quality of the Toku scenes looked really janky to me as a kid and was a huge turn-off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh good Alpha is dead again for awhile I can turn sound back on
Hah. Wait until Alpha 6 comes on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

My question is how the Machine Empire can't enlist Alpha.
A5 is a fully sentient multifunctional automaton from Edenoi, likely tied into the Morphin' Grid.

The ME guys are evil steampunk bitches, so it's like trying to get your TV remote to control your toaster.

You need some sick cybermancy code (aka a DVD stuck in his back) to hijank him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

Cat breaks her ankle, someone in chat says "KIM WOULD'VE WON BY NOW".
AJJ is off writing Jewel-esque songs and waiting for her big Felicity break.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like to imagine the letter says something like "And what the hell does SIG UYAAAAAA mean anyway"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cernunnos posted:

OH GOD! ALPHA 6 SOON!!

:shepicide:
I hope the goon from a few pages back that was complaining about A5 is still watching. He'll long for those sweet high pitched AyYiYis in a little.

Craptacular! posted:

It wasn't direct to video. I saw the words "starring Johnny Yong Bosch" on an actual theater marquee. That'll never happen again.
Considering he's a pretty prolific VA, it's not unlikely you'll see him in something big-ish. Just not Hollywood big.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God, how many more.episodes of this crap are left? I just wanna hear that sweet rear end RANGERS...IN SPACE! opening

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's with all the dicks in the chat dropping spoilers? Didn't really have that problem in the seasons before. Odd.

It's funny how the season with the most going wrong turns out to be the best written season, too.

Funky Valentine posted:

The Next Mutation was really bad guys.
If I had to choose between watching Next Mutation and a superclip of all the Justin scenes in Turbo... I dunno, I'd probably kill myself.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 18, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Holy gently caress I do not remember any of this subplot with the crazy professor at all.

MadScientistWorking posted:

So from what little I've seen of Megaranger the Astromegaship set is completely new to In Space right?
I feel like they probably scrapped together bits from the power chamber set for some of it.

TJ should have been given dreds. Everyone be having long rear end hair here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Power Rangers MegaVoyager better than Star Trek Voyager. I'm having fun watching the chat be incredulous over how much better this is than Turbo.

And wow. How about that Dickzooka on the zord there.