Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Autumncomet posted:

I'd have to say my favorite ranger series was RPM, the one set in a post-apocalyptic setting. It was self aware and the plot wasn't completely stupid.

I also need to watch Gokaiger, since it's supposed to be a love letter to One Piece and that sounds hilarious.

RPM is seriously amazing, it's like the writers knew the show was getting canned so they just gave it all they had. Case in point : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrTsryg_CM

Gokaiger is a love letter to the entire history of Super Sentai. The only thing it has in common with Once Piece is that it's based around a group of pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I didn't understand how Noah believing in himself allowed him to lift that axe despite not being able to do it literally two seconds earlier. Still the moral of the day wasn't as bad as this week's episode, where we learn that it takes years of special training to become a ranger. Even though the current team are just five kids picked almost at random with no real training to speak of.

Also Megaforce red is just a real doll that got brought to life somehow.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Shinkenger is the only Sentai I've ever gotten my girlfriend to watch with me from beginning to end which is a miracle in and of its self. Everything just comes together perfectly, the story, the characters, the action, it's all just so well done. I probably wouldn't hate Samurai so much if it hadn't taken pure gold and turned it to poo poo.

Gokaiger is a series that could have been so much more if the majority of the episodes didn't focus on guest stars and nostalgia. Saying that, it's still one of the best Sentai's in a long time. Not only is each character well developed, it also features possibly the best fighting choreography of any Sentai before or after.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm actually amazed that Saban managed to take something as bland as Goseiger and water it down even more with Megaforce.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
He did, but there's got to be hundreds of guys named Jake in that city. It reminds me of the original series when the rangers would rescue family members and speak in their normal voices and no one would notice.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Cliff Racer posted:

Do you really think it had better fighting choreography than say Zyuranger? Dairanger? Go-Onger? Gobuster? And those are just the translated series so I'm leaving out GoGoV, Timeranger and other shows from the 90s that hit that lack of CGI footage/non-visible zippers sweetspot.

Yes? While I loved Dairanger and enjoyed Zyuranger the fights overall were good for their time, but don't hold up to the stuff produced today. Aside from Geki vs. Burai I can't think of any that really stand out. Was the choreography in Go-onger really that good? The show itself was so goofy I only made it to episode 30 before I gave up on it and can't remember anything actual fights from it. Gobusters had great choreography, but it didn't grip me as much as Gokaiger.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The Go-busters story wasn't that dark and could easily be watered down enough to work for PR. Aside for Time force, and Samurai Pr has always done its own thing when it comes to adapting Sentai anyway.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SilentChaz posted:

No argument on Rick Medina being a huge tool, though.

I know it's a small nitpick, but I hated the way that guy pronounces the word duel. The fact that he said it about 200 times during all of Samurai just drove me crazy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I didn't see the episode, but the clips on Youtube do not paint a pretty picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRDh9CNlPGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbBcFZ_jq0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wKN8oxPeDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3W5kSgJyrQ

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Just got this in the mail:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I got mine off of https://shirtpunch.com, along with a red one, for about ten bucks plus shipping. So far they've only done Red, Green and Black. The only problem is they only sell their designs within a 24 hour period. As far as I can tell green is the only shirt that's available at the moment:http://inkoneart.storenvy.com/products/861823-battlemode

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Agent Rush posted:

I can't stop laughing at how Troy is more robotic than the actual robot. :roflolmao:

The motherfucker gets snubbed at the end of the episode and doesn't even blink. That's some top tier non acting right there.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpazmasterX posted:

No, don't you see? He's just so calm and collected.

I love that this dude actually had a dream with RoboKnight in it several episodes ago and that never comes up. Never referenced in the slightest.

Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying how terrible Megaforce has been. If it was based on a sentai I liked I wouldn't even bother watching, but they can poo poo on the Gosei source footage all they want.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The day Austin St John left is the day that show died for me. Dude brought so much intensity for his V.O. lines that no one has ever come close to in 20 years. Going from Jason to Rocky was a huge step down.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The Zyurangers were all poorly developed, because the show spent more time focusing on the random kids than the actual heroes. As far as I can tell, Geki was an idiot, Mei was a girl who had dress up powers, Boi was a ninja, and the other two are just there. Oh and the megazord is alive and a total rear end in a top hat.

I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me, but I think the first season of MMPR is actually better than Zyuranger. Not that I think MMPR holds up that well, just that Zyuranger is pretty mediocre overall.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Um no? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sztDcKoEJg

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's because the current Japanese toys are expensive as poo poo nowadays! For instance, you could buy your little one the US Samurai Megazord for around $30 dollars, or you can purchase the Japanese original for $80: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17880096

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Well yeah the imported Shinken-oh works for you because you're an adult collector who can afford to pay a little more for the Japanese original. There aren't many parents out there how are going to spend nearly $300 dollars so their kids can have all the Samurai megazords.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
SPD had so much potential that just went away once the sixth ranger was added. I'm still bugged that Jack and Z's history is never really touched on past the first two episodes.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The crazy thing about SPD is the fact that it would have been better if you removed all the Power rangers/Sentai elements. The fact that they had powers they only worked when they were civilians was beyond redundant.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I really don't understand why people think Go-busters would be so hard to adapt. Everything SpazmasterX listed can easily be worked around, and has been in the past. They always create original morphing sequences nowadays and Buddyroids are just more toys to sell. They've worked with way harder Sentai in the past and managed to make it work. Seriously, after RPM anything is possible.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You say that as if the Disney seasons didn't have tons of bad actors as well. My point is, if a goofy Sentai about talking cars can be adapted into a gritty post apocalyptic series anything is possible.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dr Tran posted:

Didn't RPM go way over budget and kill Power Rangers?

No, Disney wanted to drop the show after Jungle Fury. I believe RPM only existed because of contractual obligations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpazmasterX posted:

My biggest question is why they never change clothes? Was the budget really that small? Did anyone notice they left their little sparring session and were back in their regular outfits when they demorphed?

I always assumed this was a hold over from Sentai where they wear the same outfit almost every single episode.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The rangers look like generic grunts, that's really sad.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Its been a while since I've seen Go-busters, but I distinctly remember all of those things happening. Plus Shinkenger only had one annoying ranger versus five on Go-busters.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpazmasterX posted:

You're out of your mind if you think any of the Go-Busters were annoying, especially Green Hippo. :colbert:

Wow, I didn't realize it until just now that I was thinking of Go-onger. I take back everything I said, Go-busters was awesome.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I am seriously curious how they are going to adapt that for american audiences.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't believe they're still hanging on to those stupid Goseiger suits. It makes no sense , especially with black transforms into green.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RBX posted:

Why wouldn't they pay that guy $20 dollars to say it in english is beyond me. These kids weren't even around for most of these seasons.

I don't get it at all. The toy version of the morpher says the names of all the seasons along with the colors of various rangers. Why wouldn't you carry that over to the actual show?

Also, I really hate how Saban rangers never stop talking. The least they could do is write dialogue that matches the footage somewhat.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpazmasterX posted:

Counterpoint: Carter

Ha ha, what?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You like Go-onger, but found RPM offensively dumb?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Go-onger completely owned how incredibly silly things were. "Evil robots from another dimension who want to pollute our world are opposed by gigantic sentient cars which look like animals and have anime eyes." I don't know what made Disney decide that show was the one to turn into a grimdark post-apocalypse series, but the mismatch just put me off in a big way.

To each his own, I only made it half way through Go-onger before I couldnt stand it anymore.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's so drat weird. Why skip Go-busters but use Gosieger?! Especially when you're forced to cram two unrelated shows together in order to do it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Brother Enty posted:

What about Go-Busters came off as deliberately easy to adapt? Between the amount of out-of-suit combat, the recurring villains being actual people and not dudes in costumes, the dyroids being important to both using the Buster Machines and the mid-season upgrades and the really goofy weaknesses it probably has so little actually usable footage for adapting that skipping it actually makes alot of sense.

Most of the things you list have been worked around in the past. We've gotten original vilians that replace Japanese ones, they shoot tons of original in suit footage, Buddyroids are toys to sell to kids and the weakness's can easily be removed or changed.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Brother Entropy posted:

These things all add up, though. It's harder to change Enter and Escape because they aren't the usual Sentai villains of just hanging around a base and giving orders until the series finale. Any scenes of them creating Metaroids or fighting the Go-Busters(which they do frequently) all have to be cut. Buddyroids can be sold but because so much of their interaction with the Go-Busters is out of suit it would all have to be new footage so they're a problem whether you cut them or leave them in. The weaknesses can be cut but then that's even more footage that's unusable. If there was just one weird thing about Go-Busters that they'd have to work with I'd see your point but it's a dozen little things like this all making it way more complicated than Saban is used to so I don't blame them for looking at the dinosaurs and wanting to just go straight for that.

After the complete 180 that was the RPM adaptation of Go-onger I don't think anything is really out of the realm of possibility. Hell, I think adapting Gokaiger would be far more difficult a task.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's adorable that you all think Saban's going to keep the Samba music.

There's no way in hell the pre-morph dance stays, no way.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Here's hoping Red learned how to emote during the break.

Yeah, about that.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h7APn20a_o

Also, I love how Gosei had access to all these amazing powers from the get go and just never mentioned it. It truly is amazing how much of a dick he is.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
He didn't really hide anything from them, he just waited till it was finished to tell them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Tae posted:

Saban really thinks kids are retarded, like the one scene where Red, Blue and Green exchange their 2nd weapons. The original just gives one word, the character's name, and the cool switch happens.

Transcript of the same scene:

Green: I need more firepower! Guys, give me a blaster!

Blue: Right, coming your way!

Red: Heads up, Jake! *catches* That'll work!

Green: Thanks! Nice switch!

Blue: Now put it to good use!

And then about 3 more lines. That poo poo was annoying back in the 80's with Robotech. It's 2014, Saban. Kids have Ipads, they know what a tiny sliver of subtlety is.

I like when they all transformed to Reds and the dialogue for one ranger kept going even after they cut to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

jivjov posted:

I could even be okay with "I need another blaster!" "Okay here you go!". Having an entire conversation goes beyond 'lacking subtlety' and all the way in to 'actively avoiding airtime with nobody talking'

Still not as bad as Samurai, when the monsters wouldn't stop talking while getting the crap kicked out of them. That was rough!