Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Legend of Legaia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Technically Mass Effect 2 has an epilogue in that you can fly around after the end of the game and do missions you missed/DLC.

But I mean... you have to pay for it and put off doing DLC.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I suppose it's worth noting that the Fallout 2 LP just started poking the epilogue. I mean, it's not a JRPG, but it's still an RPG.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Chapter 46: Here We Go Again

That's right, folks, the game isn't over yet! This is a Lunar game by gum; we're not going to let it end on such a sad note! Still, the question remains: how are we even to start finding a way to the

Oh. That was quick.

: I believe it has to do with a crystal at the top of the Star Dragon's tower. But to gain entrance, you need to use the same technique as at the Blue Spire. That is, you need to find two special Dragon jewels that control its door. Finding the two jewels to gain entrance into the tower is your only chance of seeing Lucia again. You must try, m'boy!

Now the Star Dragon Tower hasn't actually been mentioned by name, but we have actually seen it already. However, the hard part is finding the key to the drat door. Actually, we already have a clue for one of them.

Remember this? Well, he's got another eye, doesn't he? If the key to the Star Dragon's tower is similar to the Blue Spire, it certainly follows that we'd go back here.

However as for the other eye jewel, we haven't got a clue. Well, speaking of the Blue Spire, Gwyn had the other eye, so where did he get it?

: I have no idea where you will find the jewel for the dragon's right eye. You see, m'boy, I purchased the other eye from a traveling merchant ages ago. Confound it all! You see, he told me where he got it, but that was so long ago I've forgotten the story! Perhaps Nall would have some idea...

...thanks. Still, at least he suggested visiting someone who would be useful. All right, at least we have somewhere to start.

: Oh, don't worry 'bout me, lad! I've got all these books to keep me company! Lucia doesn't have anything of the sort on the Blue Star to keep her company. Hiro, you must try to get to her on the Blue Star at any cost. You two belong together...

:unsmith:

Well, off we go.

So the game has actually opened up a little bit. Obviously, we've got to find those two jewels. But we can also check up on how our team members are doing, see how the rest of the world is doing post-Zophar, and explore the optional dungeons. Since first lead is Nall, so let's go to Taben's Peak.

: Say, what's wrong with Hiro? He seems kinda bummed...
: Hiro's down because Lucia went back to the Blue Star!
: So what are you gonna do about it, Hiro? Hm... That's a gutsy move. Gonna attempt to go to the Blue Star, eh? Since I'm such a great guy, tell ya what I'm gonna do. I'll give you this sword to aid you in your quest. Use it well...

: Hiro, you're the only one I trust with this sword. It belonged to the last true Dragonmaster, and my best friend, Alex.
: ...I don't know what to say, Nall.
: Just promise me you'll use it as he would have.
: You have my word. Thank you, Nall.

As Nall just explained, Althena's Sword is a huge drat deal. In the original Lunar 1, Althena's Sword was protected by two Dragon Angels who bestowed it upon Alex once he proved himself. And in the remake, it was stuck in Dyne's Memorial, and when Alex removed it from the stone, he became a true Dragonmaster. (Yeah, he was kind of a... fake Dragonmaster for a while? I never got that part.) Although, as you probably guessed, this sword is only supposed to be given to Dragonmasters, which Hiro is not. He'd otherwise qualify, but with no Althena, there's no Dragonmaster. So getting the sword is as close as Hiro can get.

: In order to get to the Blue Star you're going to have to outsmart the Star Dragon! He's guarding the way to the crystal that connects Lunar to the Blue Star. I sincerely hope you're strong enough, Hiro. Good luck!

All right! We've gotten Nall's blessing, and now we can-

Wait, we still don't actually know where to find the jewel.

: Hiro! Lucia is waiting! Why are you still here? ...oh yeah, since you came back, there's just one more thing... You'll need two dragon eye jewels to get into the Star Tower. You can probably find one in the ice tower near my cave, to the west. I'll make the tower visible to you.

Oh! Well, that actually answers my question pretty succinctly. Also, yes, you do have to talk to Nall here because otherwise the tower doesn't appear.

: Hey, and while you're gone, why not leave Ruby here? I'll take good care of her for you. We had a blast last time.
: Sheah, right! Remember, bud, I have pepper spray!
: You're still a brat, aren't you Ruby? But I kinda like the fiery type...
: Oh man! You two are made for each other! Sheesh!
: Ya think? He he...
: Hey! This is our problem Hiro. So stay out of it!
: Oh, um... sorry Ruby.... ...but you are cute together!

Heh. Now we can theoretically go get both of the dragon eye jewels now, but I have the slight suspicion that we may not want to go at it alone. Vane's nearby; let's go check up on Lemina, see if she's up for another adventure.

: Have you finally decided to join the guild? Let's see, where are those contracts... oh, is Lucia with you? She probably wants to join, too. ... What?! Lucia went back to the Blue Star?! ...alone? That's... terrible! Ah, I'm beginning to get the picture... You came here to get me to help you go after Lucia! I'm with you now. Let's see... that should only run you about 10,000 S. A special price for a special friend... what do you say?

You know, ten thousand at this point is chump change, really. Of course, I say that, but I don't even have one thousand silver. None of the enemies in Zophar's Domain drop silver, by the way. At least I can sell all the old equipment that I kept because I knew the epilogue was coming. (Ended up getting about a hundred thousand; not bad.)

: It takes a lot of love to go after someone regardless of the odds... I hope I meet a man just like you someday. Anyway, the price was just to see how serious you were. Did you really think I would charge a friend? C'mon! This one's on the house!

Sometimes I do forget that Lemina does, in fact, have a heart.

: ...huh?
: I just appreciate the fact that you want to give me and Miria some 'alone time.' I can't tell you how much this means to me... gha ha ha ha!
: ...Borgan, you are a foul-minded pig! Call my trip what you'd like, but I have no intention of helping you win my mother's affection!
: Don't worry Lemina. I'll keep an eye on... things while you're gone. Gha ha ha ha!
: Lay one hand on my mother and I'll... I'll...
: You'll what? Call me daddy? Gha ha ha ha!
: Oouuugh! Borgan! You digust me! Your mind is as slimy as your skin! I'll be back, and you had better not have laid a finger on mother...
: Such an excitable girl. A finger is not what I intended to lay... gha ha ha ha...

I had something to say about this, but I'd rather not think any hard than I have to about... martial relations and Borgan.

: Try hard, Hiro. Love is the only thing of true worth in our world.
: I will never give up!

That's the spirit! Anyway, once more for good me-

Oh, right, can't read her diary when she's actually in your party. This looks like a job for some temporal shenanigans.

: Zophar was all bark and no bite, it seems. Well, maybe it just seemed that way because the party fought so bravely. Anyway... I'm glad that one's behind me. Now, all I have to do is get rid of Borgan! That overgrown garbage dump is still here oogling my mother! I'll get that vulgar magic-using leech out of here if it kills me! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Lee Lee.

If Miria didn't throw him out for that "lay" line (and she was right there, seriously), I don't think she ever will. Sorry.

: You know, I almost feel sorry for Borgan right now... What's wrong with me? I'm turning... soft!

I am physically incapable of ever feeling sorry for Borgan, so yeah I don't get it either.

Anyway, this might be the last time we ever see Vane, so let's have one last go-around.

: If she keeps improvin' the place, I might just apply.
: What, have they put out a request for whiny guys who like to complain?
: Hey! I think I'd be an asset to the guild! I know the magic of sniffle-stop! It's very useful in the winter...

You may laugh, but poo poo, I'd let them in if they could prevent the lovely symphony of a million noses snorting at once while you're trying to take a test.

: People are coming from all over to see the city where she was born. Maybe her dream of this town returning to full glory will become a reality!
: Maybe? It's happening right now! I told you I'd do it, and I have!

: I'll still help restore Vane to its former glory, though.
: Thanks, kiddo. That means a lot to me.

Aw, it's all heart-warming and poo poo!

: I just wish the guy hadn't been a stand-up comedian. He called himself the Prankster Spankster. I mean, he knew his stuff. But I could have done without the jokes... I'm really quite sensitive, you know.

I guess everyone got a happy ending.

: I'm blazing through the damned things so fact it's putting me in the poorhouse! Old age sucks.
: Well, maybe your spirits will lift when Vane is flying high again!
: Oh, yeah, sure... Lookin' out the window of a flying city will take her mind off the fact that she's filling diapers like a baby... yeah!

And then... diapers. Yeah, thanks for sharing, lady.

: Actually, I'd rather read about it. It's too nerve-wracking for me!

: Magic is a much more elegant solution than karate for all defensive situations.
: I'm thinking that Borgan may have written this...

Oh, some of the responses you get from Lemina's book collection have changed, and as you can see, some of the books have. Borgan is a dirty liar, by the way. Karate is the most elegant solution to any problem.

; Oh, pooh! I keep meaning to change that. I'm not going to charge for book rental. It just doesn't seem right that the premier of Vane charge for knowledge.

That and I don't know how many citizens of Vane are lining up to read how to recycle sanitary napkins.

: Oh, sorry, I've already promised to lend this book to Ramus in Meribia. He wanted to read it.

: A heart full of love warms the lives of those it touches.
: This book is nothing but piffle. I don't know why I ever bought it!

All right then, enough of this then. Where to next? Well, at this point our choice is between picking up Jean or Ronfar. The carnival's actually a bit closer, but since the Carnival is also closer to where I want to after this, Raculi first.

: Oh, I see... the old ruins, hm? Why do you want to find them? And where's Lucia? Holy cow! She left you? Well now, I never saw that one coming! You musta had some fight for her to go back to the Blue Star! You know, she loves you, kiddo. And, for the sake of true love, I'll help anyone out. So are you asking for help?

By the way, yes, you do get a choice for each of the party members. I think it might be possible to actually solo the epilogue, but gently caress I'm not doing that. Get your rear end in my party priest man.

: Okay, I'm ready to help you out. I just need to say bye to Mauri.
: Oh Ronfar, off again?
: Dumplin', if he wasn't the greatest guy in the world, I wouldn't go. But he is, and I've got to help him out. I'll be back before you know it.
: Well, then, good luck, sugar buns. I'll be waiting...
: Okay Hiro, ya got a hired hand in your party!

: And, as one who was torn from her true love, I know that pain. If Ronfar hadn't come in my darkest hour, I don't know if I...
: ...Mauri.
: Please Hiro, go to Lucia. You are the one she wants.

...ooh-ooh-ooh?

: You hold the key to the happiness she seeks. Use it to free her spirit. You belong with her. Go...

And now we've got ol' Ron back. Now let's- wait a second. Isn't there someone else from Raculi?

: I know he said he'd be fine, but I worry...
: Don't worry, Mauri. He said he'd be back, and he's never gone back on his word.

So they have no idea where Leo is. I do, because I've played this game before, but the game itself hasn't really given us a hint yet. Well, let's see if they eventually give us one.

: Hm... I wish I could find a man like Ronfar someday...
: Keep lookin', sugar cakes, they're out there...
: Good thing they're not all just like Ronfar, though. I don't think the world could take it.

: This is the home of Ronfar, Leo, and Mauri who saved our world! They made this town famous!
: Hey, this is perfect! If I can get those three to live in Vane it'll be a huge draw for tourists! I can see it now: Mauri mugs, Leo lights, Ronfar rugs! It'll make a mint! And if I give them free rent... they'll come for sure!
: Oh Lemina, don't you ever give up? Sheesh, give a rest...

More importantly, how the hell does Lemina think that the lost rent income is going to be made up by friggin rugs? Ramus didn't do a good job teaching you, that's for sure...

: It was very strange... kind of like a blurry dream where I had no control. Oohh... I don't want to think about it any more. I'm just glad to be back.

: Our world has been led astray for too long... I've decided that my purpose is to tell others of the true teachings of Althena.

It's kind of interesting that despite how much the Cult of Althena dragged the name of the goddess through the mud, people still believe.

: My daughter says that is the power she would like to show the world. She's such an idealistic young thing. I worry about her...

: It can't be that big. I don't see anything.
: It's on my butt. I can prove it to you, if you want.
: Uh, no. Thanks. If you keep your zitty butt in hiding, we'll all be better off. Congrats on the puberty thing, though... that's uh, he he... really... um... nice.

: I thought you finally decided to settle down with Mauri? Does she know your[sic] galavanting around the country with these kooks?
: They're not kook, grandpa! And I have good reason for being with them...
: I knew Mauri should have chosen a more stable man!
: Hey! Who you calling unstable? You're back in diapers, gramps!

What is it with this game and old people in diapers?

And that's it for Raculi. Only Jean and Leo left, and we actually know where Jean is, so off to the Carnival.

The area where the Carnival is can be kind of hard to get to, since it's not so easily accessible. Also, you never went there on the Destiny because you never had a reason to.

First you go up from Dalton until you hit Azado here. Yes, I called it Nota in the past because I am stupid. It is not Nota; this is Azado. Go up the ramp here and head right.

Yeah, this is Nota. If you're a dumb kid you might be flummoxed on how to drive the Destiny through.

You just... drive through the city. I mean, the whole reason we went to the Mystic Ruins is because the Destiny parked its rear end under the bridge, so it's been established it can do that. This really shouldn't a puzzle, eleven year old me.

Anyway, Jean.

: Jean, I always thought you looked best dressed as a dancer.
: Thanks Ruby, I like being a dancer. Say, where's Lucia? After all I did promise here that I would do a dance for her once we defeated Zophar. What's wrong with Hiro? His eyes seem so... distant, so lost... What?! Lucia went back to the Blue Star without Hiro? ... Hiro, are you sure you want to go to the Blue Star? Well, you know you can always count on me! Do you want my help?

That is the stupidest question in the history of questions.

: All right! This is going to be just like old times. Excuse me, while I go put on something a little bit more appropriate...

: But this is kind of a special case. We've got to find a way for you to get back to the Blue Star!

Yay! :woop:

: I have to. My friends need my help.
: You have always placed others well-being ahead of your own. I hope your friends realize all the sacrifices you have made for them.

...kind of passive-aggressive there, Giban.

: Well, hurry back. You know that you are always welcome here. Jean, don't forget that this carnival is your home and we are your family...
: Giban, relax! I'm not going off to get killed or something! I'll be back before you even have a chance to start missing me!

Still, it's sweet tha-

: What more do you want from me? Just go! It'll never go good enough for you anyway... leave me...

And you ruin the mood. Thanks.

...you.

: Yikes! Geez, don't just walk up and scare me like that! I'm working hard to finish the new Magic Arrow so you guys can fly it.

f̕҉ù̡̡c͟͞k̸ ̶̡҉y͏̛ó̸̧͢u̴͞ ̶a̵͏̷ń͘͜͜ḑ̴҉̵ ̛͏̀͝d̢̡̡͝i̕͘e̴

: I've told you a million times, we're not going to fly on your Magic Arrows! ...ever!

...?

: You don't say... hm...

Uh, in case you're wondering... I have no idea what this means here, and the game never brings it up again. I'm not sure if it's a deliberate change or a mistranslation or something. hosed if I know.

: I will love you until the end of time, and yet, my love goes unrequited...
: You know, you'd be a lot happier if you just fixated on someone you could get.

In other news, the residents of Lunar are still utter goons.

: Dad, you idiot! We missed Jean's dance! All because of your stupid drinking! I'll never forgive you for this! Boo hoo hoo!
: I'm sorry you missed my dance because of your drunken father. I have things to do, but when I return, I'll dance just for you! How's that?!
: Really?! Oh, that would be the greatest! Didja hear that, dad? She's gonna dance just for me!

This update is full of heartwarming stuff.

: Hey, Hiro! Isn't this the song Lucia really liked?
: ...

-crow barred right next to depressing stuff.

: She was my one and only love. Her passing was a great loss to me... But, I don't cry anymore, because we are still as one, joined in a love that is eternal...

: Daddy will be real mad. The last time grampa took me, he left me at the store. I think he's getting too old to go places by himself. Say, lady, you look like a magic performer. Can you make grampa come back?

...why is the carnival the place of the most depressing NPCs?

: Promised to show her to sights of the carnival. I musta forgot all about her once I got here. I wonder where she went?

: Mommy and daddy are going to put you away in a home. I heard them say that.

Seriously, most depressing NPCs, and I'm counting Zaback under Borgan.

In case you were wondering, we can finally bet the ten thousand silver bet at the hall of chance. No reason to really do that as all there is left to buy is items, and honestly I've got enough left over from Zophar that I don't need to buy more anyway.

By the way, the fortune teller will give us a hint where to go, but it's vague as hell. Also we already know one of the eye jewels is by the White Dragon Cave, and it's not a stretch to deduce the other's location. The only thing we need to know at this point is where the hell is Leo?

Speaking of that, we still haven't really gotten a hint about that, have we? So... what? If we were playing the remake, the town of Takkar would be abuzz with news of Mystere, but sadly, no such luck in this version. Honestly, the game makers probably just expects you to go around to all the towns just talking to people.

: Which ruins, I don't really know...

I'll just confess: no, I didn't go to every single town trying to find hints. As far as I can tell, though, this is the only hint the game gives you to Leo's location. I have no idea how you'd guess to go to Nota and talk to this one guy (and no one else in Nota mentions this) and deduce which ruins he's talking about. Actually, it's fairly easy to figure out which ruins.

These ruins.

Yes, we have to go through Mystic Ruins. Again.

: Funny, another person just went in ahead of you. If you hurry, you might catch him!

At least, one of the fairies instead does confirm you're in the right place.

Oh yeah, probably should inform them that their protector ain't coming back.

: I wonder why he neglects the beautiful garden he created? I even finished the task he assigned me. Now his ABBA records lie silently in alphabetical order, waiting for his appreciative ear...
: Since you don't have Ghaleon around here any more, I'll ask Nall to guard you! He'll probably have the Blue and Black Dragons look out for you, too! If you're lucky, maybe they'll torch the LP's, too! So cheer up, okay?!

You heard it here folks: Dragons, not a fan of Let's Plays.

: He said if that happened, this world would not stand a chance against Zophar... I wonder what he meant?

I think he had it backwards.

: Ghaleon said that? But I'm sure he'd help Lucia!

: Ghaleon knew all along that human power could defeat Zophar. His ruse saved this world. Now, he can stop tormenting himself with guilt. I wonder where he is?

He is but a disembodied voice now, waiting to dispense smugness and ham whenever he is needed most.

: Therefore, he could neither seal nor destroy Zophar by himself. I heard him talking about it the last time he was here.

Oh, and here's some all-purpose plot spackle in case you were wondering why he didn't just fight Zophar himself. (Although admittedly one can just guess this.)

: How heart breaking...

I'm certain he appreciates you rubbing it in.

: It made no sense to me. Do you know what it means?

This game has broken the fourth wall enough that it's becoming self-aware?

Well, we've stalled enough.

I'm so loving happy to see you again.

How I've missed you.

Oh, and you want to know the best part?

We can't warp out. We have to go through this a third time.

I loving hate you Leo.

gently caress you.

gently caress you.

: You're looking mighty spry! What brought you to this dank old dungeon, anyway?

gently caress you forever.

: And, hey! What happened to Lucia? I thought you two would be joined at the hip by now! ...she what? She went back to the Blue Star? Why that's a travesty! Let me help you in your quest to get back to her!

gently caress YOU INTO THE SUN.

: Ha ha ha ha! Why would you doubt my desire? Of course I'll help you get back to Lucia. You two belong together. But you already know that. I am in your service, friend. Just lead the way...

: I say we still owe him a little payback...
: But, I was under order from what I thought was Althena! You must understand!

No.

I'll spare you the trip report from the way down. (Confession: the sliding platform room gave me more trouble than the mirror maze. Sigh.) Point is, we're a team again! Next time, we're gonna wrap up all the miscellaneous poo poo.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh, and Jenner (or anyone, really) if you wanna talk about any of the tie-in stuff go on ahead. Not much left to spoil at this point.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A nice touch in the remake is that Leo has a new outfit in the epilogue.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Does Lucia's Pendant not serve the same function here that it does in the remake? Seriously, warping to any town you've been to (ala Silver Star's White Dragon Wings) was a nice feature. Especially since IIRC the top of the Mystic Ruins was considered to be outdoors, so you only needed to take the trip in to get Leo and then could just GTFO in a second.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Bufuman posted:

Does Lucia's Pendant not serve the same function here that it does in the remake? Seriously, warping to any town you've been to (ala Silver Star's White Dragon Wings) was a nice feature. Especially since IIRC the top of the Mystic Ruins was considered to be outdoors, so you only needed to take the trip in to get Leo and then could just GTFO in a second.

Wait, it did that in the remake? It does nothing in the original, by the way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Camel Pimp posted:

Wait, it did that in the remake? It does nothing in the original, by the way.

It teleports you between towns. Only problem being that you have to revisit them all first.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

It teleports you between towns. Only problem being that you have to revisit them all first.

That always puzzled me, since you've been to every single town already. But it's not like that's a huge trial with the Destiny at your disposal anyway.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh, and Jenner (or anyone, really) if you wanna talk about any of the tie-in stuff go on ahead. Not much left to spoil at this point.

Yaaay. There is one thing that I'll wait to reveal but other than that I'll link away!

So, you've all gotten a taste now of just what makes Lunar such a beloved and popular series. (Even Working Designs zaniness couldn't bring down such an amazing game.) In Japan it remained popular enough to warrant several companion novels and mangas. There were nine novels in total and a large number of them have been translated or summarized by Kizyr and are available on Lunar-NET right here. Most of these retell and go more in depth about the events that occurred during the games.

There were seven mangas, a handful have been translated by that same guy and are on the site here. I don't know when/if the rest will ever be finished or up 'cause the guy has his own life and poo poo going on, aging fandom and all (Camel Pimp we are so old. :smith:) Read and enjoy if you'd like!

Now then, earlier in this thread some Goon asked what happened to the Vile Tribe and Camel Pimp said it's addressed in a small way in this game. It is, but it's actually addressed with more extensive focus in another of the games and some of the novels and manga.

Here's the lengthy answer: in Magical School Lunar/Lunar: Walking School, a prequel, you learn that members of the Vile Tribe actually began interbreeding with humans and beastmen well before the events of Lunar: The Silver Star/Silver Star Story Complete (TSS/SSSC from here on.) In fact Ellie, the leader of the group of girls in the game, discovers at one point that she is part Vile Tribe and it's a significant plot point. It wasn't common then or during the events of TSS/SSSC and definitely wasn't something one would admit in casual conversation. In TSS canon, it became much more common after the Fall of the Magic Emperor for various reasons (Specifically: The entirety of the Vile Tribe sided with the Emperor causing the loss of many lives which created a severely limited gene pool.) The few members of the Vile Tribe that tried to keep their bloodline pure faded from history and I've read my share of fanfic/doujinshi following them.

SSSC tried to fill this plothole and manga released after SSSC establishes that, with Xenobia dead, Phacia took over leadership of the Vile Tribe and pushed for integration. Over generations of interbreeding and coexisting after the Fall of the Magic Emperor the Vile Tribe as a people was integrated into the whole of the two subsets of humanity (beastmen and humans.) If there were any rebel trueblood offshoots from that they aren't mentioned. What's true of both games is that the Vile Tribe does not exist as a unique entity in the Lunar of EB's time, meaning by this point they've been fully bred in. Popular fan theory is that Hiro has Vile Tribe blood.

Childhood's End, a manga that chronologically takes place after the end of this game but before its Epilogue delves into this as well.
(and yet is never referenced by any of the characters in the game and I know for a fact Jean and Ronfar would say something at the very least but I'm starting an tangent so I'll stop now...)

As a fan it's important to state that the media written by Kei Shigema, the creator of Lunar, are Word of God and are thus canon for better or worse. Kei is rumored to have stated that the manga fall in line with his narrative/plans for Lunar's universe as well. Like all fandoms, the canon-ness of these works are often disputed and Word Of God is awful when you disagree with it. Like anything created after the fact, there are a great deal of glaring issues in many of these media.

Like many, I have my own extensive opinions about these additional materials but this isn't the place to soapbox them. Suffice to say these works were still fun reads and by-in-large portrayed these beloved characters very true to form. I recommend you read them and then do what every other good fan does and ignore the stupid poo poo then write fanfiction or make your own headcannon. (Jean and Leo being an item is mine.)

Bufuman posted:

That always puzzled me, since you've been to every single town already. But it's not like that's a huge trial with the Destiny at your disposal anyway.

Yeah but you didn't have the pendant when you originally went to those places, Lucia did. So it kinda makes sense? v:confuoot:v

Jenner fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 9, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I've actually read a scanlation of the Childhood's End manga, but that's all the Lunar manga I've found (complete) scanlations for. My two cents on it is that's not... very good. It's very fanficy. On the other hand, it's not egregiously bad, at no point does Hiro's head fly off in an explosion or anything like that. It has decent art, at least.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, all the manga and the post-Silver-Star novels are pretty much just licensed fanfics anyway.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
The extra materials pretty much being glorified fanfics is pretty much my feeling on all of it. I still enjoyed reading and viewing them though. I guess I'm just that big of a fan. I'd really love to talk more in depth about Lunar with Lunar fans and I'd make a general games thread about the series for us old geezers to bitch and moan and complain like the Mass Effect 3 Thread but I don't think there'd be enough interest. At the same time, I don't want to use this thread for that unless it's okay to. (I'll just make a shitpost in the FYAD of games and get it out of my system.)

My sentiments are that the plots of TSS and EB are just better and that the extensive addition and removal of content in the numerous remakes usually did more damage to the series than improvement with only a handful of exceptions. I'd really love to see this series done again with a good translation department but Dragon Song pretty much killed the franchise and all the fans are just so tired of remakes...

I feel a good game would have actually revitalized the brand too... I don't even know who has the rights to the series anymore as it's in some temporal state between GameArts and Ubisoft.

RIP Lunar, you were good games.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 9, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So here's a bunch of other random translated stuff too(oh, and here is a translation of a bunch of stuff related to one of the manga I guess)-- I imagine there's spoilers for the tiny bit of game left to go but it's been years since I actually went through her site so I don't even remember.

I dunno though-- I really don't care for TSS' plot relative to SSS but I vastly prefer EB to EBC. Still, maybe the series wouldn't seem so tired if they'd remade more than just SSS post-PSX... blah.

I miss you, Lunar.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 9, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, the party's back together. I can only imagine what kind of bullshit is in these postgame dungeons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't remember any specifics about them in this version but they're a joke in the the remake.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

I can't remember any specifics about them in this version but they're a joke in the the remake.

Especially if you get the Hero's Talisman first. God, that thing was so very broken.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would imagine anything after Zophar would be a joke.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would imagine anything after Zophar would be a joke.

You have no god drat idea. I honestly don't remember any part of the post-game that gave me any troubles, especially once I got the accessory (crest?) that let me use Burning Rage. Holy god drat gently caress that skill.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Galick posted:

You have no god drat idea. I honestly don't remember any part of the post-game that gave me any troubles, especially once I got the accessory (crest?) that let me use Burning Rage. Holy god drat gently caress that skill.

That would be the Hero's Talisman I mentioned. In addition to that skill, it also halved physical damage. I slapped that sucker on Jean and she opened every battle with Burning Rage, and it was HILARIOUS.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the Epilogue. :3:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It's still gonna be a while longer. First off: just moved, so, you know, real life stuff and all. Also, I'm going to try and wrap up all the NPC dialogue, so it's gonna be a lot to sift through. So y'all will have to be patient, sorry.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

All right, I can't put this off any longer. After Zophar there is a huuuuuge amount of new dialogue for everyone. So you know what that means? Lots of NPC chatter! Lots and lots and lots of it. So...

Odds And Ends 7: NPC Harder

Let's do it. We're just going to do this in order in which the towns appeared in game, so let's start with Larpa.

: It was... Shut up! I know what I'm doing! ...It was sorta like garba garba goom goom... came from the direction of the Dragon Ruins. Kinda scary, if ya ask me.

Another hint that "GO TO THE RUINS WHERE YOU STARTED THE GAME." Although I have no idea what all the noises are about.

Oh and sorry I forgot to crop the screenshots but oh my god I'm not going back to fix it.

: As long as that doesn't have any cold-sores on it, that's fine with me...
: That's Ronfar. Rude, as usual.
: What? What'd I say?

I love how despite having his girlfriend's brother in the party, he won't stop being his pervy self because Ronfar does what Ronfar does, drat it.

: Not yet, but soon. I'm looking forward to cleaning you out again.
: Ronfar, don't you have an ounce of modesty? Really!
: You know, most of the time I'm embarrassed to say he's my best friend.
: That door swings both ways, Leo.

...you're just inviting a "swings both ways" joke, aren't you, game?

: Yeah, but you only won 10S!
: Ha! I finally won, and that's all that matters! Yippee!

: Cute, sounds like you've become a boneafide alcoholic. Time to give the Betty Ford a ring, buddy.

How- how did you come to that conclusion? Projecting, perhaps?

: We must take responsibility for our actions...

The church is, against all odds, still around, but it seems like they're turning around.

: But it's really just good manners to donate something, too.

...some of them.

: They make great hall trees! Attractive and functional. With the world going to hell in a hand basket, we don't need 'em anymore.
: Say there, sis, don't beat yourself up about it. Trot on over to the bar and forget your worries over a tall cold one!

Get out of the corrupt church and embrace alcoholism instead. Ronfar: good role model!

: Are you still on that kick? I told you! I have a girlfriend now! ...get it?
: Well then, let me be your dice. Lay your hands on these lucky bones...
: Ronfar! Father said you'd never change, and I guess he was right!

: Ever since you left here, Ronfar, the gambling action hasn't been the same.
: I've got bigger things to take care of these days. Maybe you'll find something better someday, too.

That's... randomly sweet.

: She wants me just to be the mayor, and that's it. Maybe my wife is right. I think I'll concentrate on just being a good mayor.

Next up: Dalton!

: I think they're a little extreme, but I appreciate their offer. I think I'll let them do the work, too.

: He said they lost control when the Dragons were released. I wish I could see one of the Dragons. They must be awesome!
: Well, kiddo, this is your lucky day! Feast your eyes on me!
: Is this some kind of a sick joke? You're not one of the Four Dragons! You're just some stinkin'... stinkin'... well, I don't know what you are... but you're too small to be a Dragon.
: Well, I'm big enough to toast your impudent butt, junior!

: Good looks and principled, too! Is this guy too good to be true or what?! Come to mama, big boy!
: While I'd like to honor your request, I'm afraid you may not let me go. So, I must respectfully deny your request and just blow you a kiss from here.

Uh...

: We're celebrating the saving of our world today. All well drinks are only 10S!
: 10S! Hiro, let's buy a ton of 'em and take them out. We can sell them in Larpa for a small fortune!
: You dingbat! By the time we get to Larpa, they'll be undrinkable! Get real!

Besides, I'm pretty sure Larpa does not have a deficiency of lovely bourbon.

: Was it necessary to destroy it to save our world?
: The choice was destroy Pentagulia, or be torched to cinders by Zophar. I think we made the right choice, mister.

"You couldn't have maybe evacuated the innocent citizens fi-"
"Nope!"

: Hiro! I think Grandpa needs this book!

I'm pretty sure this was always there, but I missed it for whatever reason. So here you go. Farts.

: But we never said exactly when we'd fix it. I think it'll stay broken a while longer... ha ha ha!

: I tell you, man. It's a total shame that a bod like that died out. That Alex dude was one lucky guy...

And a reminder that most of the church is still awful.

Just.... awful.

: We want to understand her real teachings and tell them to the people. But, you're not gonna get some tearful, fake 'I have sinned' speech. We're just gonna try really hard to make things right again.

You don't get along with your co-workers, do you?

Whoosh! Takkar!

: I'm thinking of expanding the hotel! Isn't that great?
: So does that mean there will be more Bounteous Babes to check out.... hoouuahhh!
: Ronfar, you better cool it, or I'll tell Mauri! If she finds out how you've been acting, you're dead meat!

Spoiler: This will not deter Ronfar in any way. Also, I'm not entire sure how "hoouuahhh" is to be pronounced in real life. Is it like the mating call of a baboon?

: You... think I have a chance with the younger of the two chicks that own this joint? She's pretty hot, huh?
: And you're pretty cold... and stinky. Here's a dime, buy a clue.

: But I still don't have enough to join yet.
: Well, why don't you give it to me, so I can keep it safe for you?

Oh that Lemina! Stealing money from children.

: Seems like that just yesterday...
: That's probably because you're getting senile as you approach middle age.

: Of course I am. How many times do I have to tell you? You should be able to see it just by observing my mastery of complicated magic, and my impeccable social graces...

: Now, they enjoy song and dance. In fact, they're starting some festivals!
: That sounds more like the Althena I heard about as a child. The one that inspired me to become a dancer.

Okay cool IT'S TIME TO GO TO NOTA!

: Say, I got to thinking about what you did for me and I thought of this. I think I'm going to rename the red wine 'Hiro's Special Reserve' in your honor! What do you think? Is that neat or what?

Yeah, neat... say, I've still got some 'Hiro's Special Reserve' and it's just taking up space maybe you'd like-

I am stuck with this wine forever. It is eternal wine.

: I sure hope that happens!
: Call me daffy, call me a hopeless sentimental, I think everything'll be ok. Besides... I looked ahead in the script.

: Hiro, get away from this guy! All he wants is to pick your pocket!
: Ah, child. I understand your concern, but I assure you that I have changed.
: Then why is your hand out?
: Oh, uh, he he, sorry... it's an old habit. You know what they say about old habits dying hard and all that...

: How about some grated kitty nipple? Or maybe you'd prefer fresh ogre wart?
: I'd prefer that you stop talking about that stuff, or I'll be giving you a free jar of hot Dragon spew!

Yeah, he can probably sell that, too.

Wouldn't be the weirdest thing here.

: Then putting on old clothes from Seattle and heading to the middle of the bridge, where you tie a cord around your ankles, and jump off the bridge to fly. The cord stops you before you hit the water, and you spring high into the air. We call it grungy jumping.

Holy moly that is a lot of set-up for a weird, dated joke.

: That sounds fun! Where do I sign up?
: Ruby, you can fly already! What kind of sport is it for you?
: I just like the 'not washing for a week and wearing old clothes' part...

YOU DON'T WEAR CLOTHES.

: Figures... I'd have to get hooked up with a flying cat that likes grunge... What are the odds of that? Weirdo...

: She is unadorned with delicate flowers to compliments her beauty. Buy my flowers and perfect your look, won't you?
: Pooh! What a complete line of donkey plop! I know a good sales job when I hear one, and that's a beaut!

: Yes, this snack mix is absolute physical and spiritual perfection... in one handy bag! And you can have it all in your mouth for only 50S! Act right now and if you buy 3, I'll throw in an extra bag free!
: Free! Geez! Gimme some of that stuff! ...uh, he he.... can I pay you later?
: Sure, if I can deliver later, too. Sorry babe. No freeloaders!

: I know, I know. It's not a popular choice, but that ship's just too cool! I've got to ride on it, and my only shot at that is to join them. Do you think I'll get a chance to ride it soon?
: Probably just as soon as we're done riding on it. Sucker!!
: You know, this guy just gave me a great idea! We can take this ship on tour! Yeah, I can see it now! We can charge 5000S per trip! People would be lining up!
: Well Lemina, I like the part about giving people ride on the Destiny. But you can't charge for it. It's against the rules.
: Oh, pooh! Rules were made to be broken, weren't they?

Besides, this is the only money-making idea she's ever had that was good. I wouldn't discourage her, Leo!

Take the wine...

: Just like the one Hiro used to save the world! Hurry, they're going fast!
: ...mmm... how much did you want for one?

And now we're done with Nota. Since we've been to the Carnival, up next is Zulan.

: I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to our village. Is that nice enough for you? ...drat little kids! Don't you know you don't have any right to criticize my talk? Now get your scrawny little butts out of here before I throw you out!

Nope.

: A nice little tourist trap. By tripling our prices we'll really rake in the dough.
: I knew Ramus would go to any length to win our little bet! But this is really too much! I can't imagine being married to that dweeb!

Oh yes, and that stupid little sub plot - well, I couldn't even classify it as a subplot. Plot... queef? Anyway, the whole "Ramus and Lemina marriage bet" is still around. Also, does Ramus even own any part of Zulan?

: I'll call it Zulan magic tonic. I know it'll be a big hit!
: Who would want to buy water that came from snow? And besides, isn't most of the snow around here yellow?
: Shut up Ruby! Listen, I know a place where we can sell a million of these! Say there, sir, would you like to sign this distribution agreement?
: Man Lemina, don't you ever stop trying to spin gold from manure?

: Man, I wish that monster was still alive. At least we could still ski!

: At least if there was snow, he'd be able to stay around the house.

This is like people in Russia missing the days of communi- erm, bad example.

: The bods, the studs, the sun... wow!

These kids are hosed up.

: ...uh, if it had a spleen...

Well, don't ask Hiro; he doesn't even know what it does.

: I dreamt that Lucia was in a place colder than this... and somehow you found a way to be with her. Crazy, huh?
: ... ....

It's not immediately obvious, but yes, this is the Mayor's granddaughter. She's definitely feeling better. And... gained the gift of clairvoyance in the mean time. Good for her.

: Words cannot express how happy I am. Just seeing her laugh bring me great joy! I just don't know what I would've done if she'd died... but thanks to you, I don't have to think about that.

Oh, yeah, her dad is back too. Her mom did mention that her dad was off looking for a cure, but the game didn't make that big of a deal out of it. I'm just glad there's no amnesia plot. Or babies.

babies

: Not only did you say my girlfriend, but you saved the world, too! Do you think the power of love is strong enough to safeguard us forever?
: I don't know about forever, but it sure makes for a nice start...

: It's really wonderful when you find the one you're meant to be with forever. There's no feeling in the world quite like it.

...you're like 9, kid. What the gently caress would you know about that?

Anywho, Meribia's next!

Uh...

: Once word got out that a student of his saved the world, applications to his dojo increased 2000%!

Uh...

: Jean! Did you hear that? This a mega-opportunity! If we start a dojo and you endorse it, we stand to make a fortune!
: Lemina, Lemina, Lemina... I want to go back to dancing, remember?

"Also, gently caress you."

So, word didn't spread? Somehow, no one managed to spread the little tidbit that Lunn is, I dunno, a freakin' former child slaver?! I mean, Borgan's little colony doesn't seem to be widespread news, but no one respects him anyway.

: Well, I went and signed up for lessons at Master Lunn's dojo, by crackee! Trouble was...

: They finally told me just to leave.
: Oh, that's so sad... and there's no excuse for it! My grandma's wraps didn't get in her way when she danced! She was one of the best in the troupe... despite her problem... and the occasional smell... hmm, come to think of it, maybe it's better this way.

...thanks for the story, Jean.

: What's the big deal?! It's just the sewers, for god's sake! He just is letting people walk around in the stinky town sewers! They've been there forever! What's so exciting about that? Really! P.T. Barnum, junior is what that kid is! Sheeesh....

Oh, right, that poo poo...

: I hope so! I'd like to see you run around in some of these garments. I know you'll look so hot in them! Ramus is one lucky man...

You know Lemina, there's no part in your little bet that prohibits you burning Ramus to death... well, there probably is, but it's not like he can argue the point with you.

Of course he is.

: Take people into the sewer, act lost, steal their money and bring 'em out. If it wasn't for all the money I'm making, I would've quit already.

: Hey pal, do you want me to take you on a guided tour of the sewers? Make sure you bring enough silver to get back out!

Sounds legit.

: Sure, I'd like to be alone with you in the dark for a few moments...

I... uh... um...

I don't even know.

: People are coming from all over just to take a ten minute ride!

: Lemina, I'd like to raise the stakes in our little bet. If you rebuild the Magic Guild before I turn a profit, I'll donate all future profits to the Magic Guild!
: Mega-cool! That's the kind of bet I would like to win!
: However, if I win, you will have to become my wife!

...wait, wasn't that already the terms of the bet? So, you just raised your stakes, without raising hers? God, you're terrible at this.

: After all, that's how all the Ramus family got their beautiful wives!
: Yeah, you bought them! I don't think I like this proposal anymore.

Yeah, whatever, let's leave and forget that Ramus exists, shall we?

: You know, if I didn't know better, I'd think this month was some sort of holiday!

So... it's not even been a month since Zophar kicked it? Honestly, the timeline for the epilogue is kinda hosed. The Childhood's End manga and other tie-in stuff suggests that Hiro searches for a way to the Blue Star for months, but hell if I know how canon that is. Probably best not to think about it.

: Man, I wish I was as cool as him...

UH.

However, Ghaleon's redemption is common knowledge. Seriously, I have no idea what makes the rumor mill 'round here and what doesn't.

: Poor? You mean P O O R? I don't think so! Hahaha! Those little punks are living like kings! Their place makes Neverland Ranch look like a dump!

Ronfar must have a very odd idea what kings live like.

: You know, that's one freaky trick I have yet to learn! I can't wait until I can freak out worthless bums all by myself!

So now we discover the whole reason why Nall learned that trick.

: My friend told me about one called 'doctor' that sounds fun. Do ya know how to play?

...moving on.

: Since Master Lunn isn't due back for awhile, do you think you could train us?
: I'm sorry, but I just don't believe in teaching people how to fight... I only fight because I have, not because I want to.

Oh, and by the way, Lunn actually hasn't been back to Meribia. And there's not really any indication he's ever coming back. Of course, who knows how long he's been gone exactly because the time line is incredibly nebulous. Perhaps Lunn's always been an absentee mayor anyway.

: What kind of sick person would cause children to fight in a war?
: Evidently, a really sick one!

: I have to make sure that these guys practice at least 18 hours every day.
: That seems so inhumane...

And kind of impossible. Good to know that Lunn's legacy of cruelty persists.

: I don't know if Lunn would accept such a self-serving title as that.
: Somehow, I think he would...

I'm tired of talking about Lunn. Now, this update actually just barely goes over word count, so we'll have to split it in two. After the break, Taben's Peak!

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 17, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

: He told me that I should run this place when he finally became a White Dragon.

: ...except how you're going to make a living with no formal schooling. I hear Mc Borgan's is hiring...

Do you just hate happiness, Ruby?

; I definitely want to be like you when I grow up. Well, that or a rock star. I haven't really decided. And, ya know, I really could go for being a game counselor. Or maybe even a movie star!

: You suck. Boooooring!

:(

: I don't understand this whole thing about Dragon aging...
: Maybe Oil of Olay is his beauty secret...

Or maybe he's born with it?

: She said that if I ever got scared, she would be there for me. But she let me down. I knew I shouldn't have trusted her. She lied to me.
: Lucia wouldn't break a promise. She'll come back. ...right, Hiro?

: Really? Nall... likes me?
: I'll make a bet that Ruby and Nall locks lips before all this is over!
: Zip your hole, Ronfar! I'll fry the hair off your butt if you say that again!

And it turns out Ruby has graduated from annoying crush to, and I shudder as I type this, tsundere. Sigh. At least this is pretty far into the "B" plot territory.

: Maybe you two should get together and make some baby pink Dragons. Then I could have one as a pet.
: Not in a million years!

: Nall says he doesn't need my help anymore since he's a great White Dragon.
: Being strong isn't the only way to stop evil! Sometimes the greatest victory comes when you don't have to fight at all.

Except all our victories have come from fighting, so... I still say we should have brought this kid.

Nall doesn't say anything new, and we've already visited Vane, so to Azado!

: Always asking questions... 'Where is the tower?' 'Where is the tower?' Geez! Just look up for god's sake! It's the tallest thing here! Man! I hate dealing with the public!

Azado's definitely doing better, although I have no idea how Azado tower can be a tourist draw. I mean, we were there. It was kind of boring.

: I'm gonna call them beasties! If this catches on, I'm going to be filthy rich!

...that's gonna be one hosed up looking cookie.

: Why not make them with laxative chips instead and call them 'bowel beasties?' You can sell them to people that are bound up! Now there's a gold mine!

: We owe this all to the great Lord Leo. He is truly a gift from Althena!
: I did not remove this menace from your town without aid. My good friends aided me in the task.
: We aided... you? Don't you have the backwards, flyboy?

Ruby's got the score right :colbert:

: Although your offer, touch my.. uh... heart, I'm afraid I'm already married to my work and must respectfully decline.

: I promise I'll do everything you command me to!
: To follow me, all you must do is believe in the power of justice. Fight hard for truth, and follow no one!

Still, Leo's pretty popular in Azado, despite his uselessness.

: We're going to take our honeymoon in the carnival on the Madoria Plains.
: That's great! Maybe I'll be able to dance for you!
: Jean, maybe you should dance for them before they get married!

Oh, and the gatekeeper in Azado that I had actually forgot about is getting married. I'm certain you all cared greatly.

: 'He didn't hate me. He's just a victim, just like me.' There now. Don't you feel beter? I know I do!

Actually, we don't know the monster truly was malicious or simply being used. I mean, it was teleported in by an evil cult without any idea what was going on around it maybe this guy is right an-

: 1000S, please.

Nevermind.

: Hm... no, but I could put you in jail for pandering... how about that?

...okay, fine, you're all right, Leo.

: I know... it sounds like another pitiful drunk's redemption speech. But this time I mean it!

Good for you, but I'd start by getting out of the bar.

: You should know that a true priest of Althena would never do that!

...well, you're half-right there.

: Hey! Come on, I know you'll like it! Please, just buy it from me! Pleeeeeeaaaaaassee?!

I presume he means the useless beads, although since he never says it he could be trying to get us to buy tinfoil or something.

But that's it for Azado. Time to trek half-way across the world to Horam.

: Listen you little annoyance, there's no chance in hell that I'm going to teach you.
: But, you don't have to teach me in hell. You can teach me any place you want.
: Fine. Your first lesson is to face that corner.

: If we weren't all sick with the flu, we could have easily kicked his butt!
: You are the most amazing liar I have ever met. You actually believe yourself!

: I'm going to eat it with some fifa beans and a nice bottle of Chianti... Then maybe you'll think twice about what you've done to Lunn...

Yeah, yeah, whatever... what the hell are "fifa" beans?

: There are some that say Wind Karate is a fraud.
: Well, they're on the right path. If John Stossel shows up at your door, be very afraid.

...who?

Apparently, he's a journalist, but as far as I can tell he's not know for exposing fraudulent karate dojos, so... I have no idea, Ruby.

: It's the one where you copy every move your opponent makes, as well as everything they say. It both confuses and annoys the hell out of them in one easy step... pure genius!
: Uh, I don't think you got that exactly right...

Hey, they actually kinda mention how you need Dopple Dance in dialogue. Neat. Would have been neater if this came before the boss fight with Lunn, but what do I know?

: The martial arts are never fully mastered, but I will help you learn more.
: Sorry, Sensei. I am only helping my friend here. When this is over, I will return to being merely a dancer.
: Ahh grasshopper, you are wasting your time on this... this... dance! Stay here with me. I can show you how to do things you never dreamed possible!

...okay we're leaving Horam and never returning. On to the Zen Zone.

: ...I ...can't ...keep ...a...wa...ke...

...has he been bleeding the whole time since we talked to him last? Impressive stamina?

: You come here, beat up a couple of us, and all of the sudden you're the best! Well, I got news for ya! You're not. Nyah, nyah!

Meanie.

: And go with something like foam padding. That way our opponents will never be able to hurt us. I just can't wait to try it out in real competition.

Yeah, only if your opponent was using foam darts as a weapon, like if it were Ultimate Nerf Championship or something. Holy poo poo, why aren't you guys doing Ultimate Nerf Championship? That's awesome!

: We will fight with wild dogs... We will spar with ferocious kittens... We will hog-tie hamsters... We will do whatever it takes to be the best!

: I can't wait to see what you do in next years competition.
: I can tell you what I'll do next year right now. I won't be here. And, hopefully, this barbarism will cease!
: Come on Jean! I could promote you! We could make some really big bucks! Don't worry, I won't become like Don King! All I want is three-fourths of the profits!

Of course. Oh hey, can you see who it is on the edge of the screen?

Oh goodie.

: As I promised, the way of Blue Dragon Karate is taught no more. In fact, the mention of that name is forbidden. The punishment for doing so is a good caning. Only one has been foolish enough to spray paint the name on these walls... Now Michael cannot sit. He can think about his transgression while standing.
: That certainly is good news.

I guess Jean really doesn't like Michael.

: One day, perhaps I can forgive what you once did to me, but I can never forget.

: ...but, I still say girls should be banned from all sports!

It seems he did not slap you enough.

Anyway, that's everyone an-

Wait... THE KIDS ARE STILL HERE?!

...well drat.

: That's why all of us have decided to stay together. This is my family now.
: I think you all will make one great, big, happy family. Maybe we'll rename this place 'Zen Walton Zone.'

: Some want to continue to train so that they can fight like you. Others want singing and dancing lessons so that they can join the carnival.
: I'm truly honored. Is there anything I can do to help?
: Some of them want you to teach them how to dance.
: When I finish this little task, I'll be back and we'll all dance.

Aw... :unsmith:

: 'Hot Leggin' Jean' or 'Jean, Jean, Killing Machine'?
: Boy, that's a tough choice...
: Perhaps you can think of another couple of titles so I have more to choose from. You know, you need a title that'll really grab your listener.

Tactful. Although, I'm fond of "Jean, Jean, Killing Machine" myself.

Now onto to Zaback.

: We're well on our way to returning to splendor as a great mining town!

: On days like this, I gaze upon the Blue Star and wish I could live forever! Lemina, my dear... come over here and sit with me in the warm morning sun.
: Grandpa, I don't have time for that right now. I have to help Hiro, and revive the Magic Guild, and... and... oh pooh! Grandpa, there's just too much for me to do! I can't sit with you today. How 'bout a raincheck, okay?

And if you're excuse me, we're gonna go wander around, just shooting the poo poo with everyone we see.

: I've heard that the response was good, but... They said my paintings weren't sensual enough! I ask you, how is it possible to make a female ghoul more sensual? Lipstick? Earrings? Three inch stiletto heels? It's absolutely ludicrous!
: Ha! I'll bet Ramus is one of the judges...

...was this exhibit for the comics industry?

: It's kinda fun, really. Sure beats the heck out of studying magic outta books!
: Well, if you find any treasure in your quests, be sure to bring them to me. You know, many treasures are cursed. I can remove the curse for a small fee.
: Oh Lemina! Will you ever change? You're hopeless!

Oh that Lemina! Always trying to defraud children!

: It's gonna be so cool! Ha ha ha!
: Hm... sounds like another little lost boy I know... I wonder if they're related!

: Workin' in an old mine, whoop! 'cause Vane fell down...

I don't know if there's enough tits in this game for you to reference that.

: That's why I'm teaching and mining here. I teach by day and mine by night. It sucks, but... If I can just find ten more diamonds, I can open the school!

: How do these rumors get started?!
: In fact, eyewitness accounts say that somehow Michael and Lisa-Marie were involved! Something about magic, monkeys, makeup, Elvis, and... Tito!
: Ooh, is there ever an end to these bizarre stories?

Is there ever an end to how hard Working Designs is gonna date this game? That's so dated it's painful.

I heard that someone was abusing punctuation?!?!??!@!

: Is that true? If it is, they're gonna have some butt-ugly babies! I can see it now... whoo!
: That's not true! I won't let it happen! I don't care how nice he's become! There's not enough money in the world to buy my blessing on that marriage! True love or not, I will not let my mother marry that... that... bullfrog!

: But don't tell my brother. He'll tell mom and dad...

: I've heard that the Magic Guild in Vane is being rebuilt. Maybe he should try to get in there.
: Well, to enter the Magic Guild of Vane, he'd have to learn humility. Magic ability isn't the only criteria of the Guild of Vane.

Yer drat right Le-

: ...if he pays me, I might be able to teach him humility...

:sigh:

: Lemina, I can't believe it! You're still trying to run new scams! You're shameless!
: Well, I have to try, don't I? You know, to finance the rebuilding...
: But, don't you ever give it a rest?

I like to think both of them realize that Lem's obsession is getting kinda sad.

On to Neo-Vane!

: I'm tired of playing playground attendant for these brats!

'Yeah, why couldn't we have just let 'em die in the mines? Stupid kids.'

: I'm certain that no one can be as big a loser as you. I'm sure Beck had you in mind when he wrote that song!

Well, at least WD put in a decent variety of pop culture references.

: That is why he had spent so much time fixing up Neo-Vane. This place is far superior to ancient Vane in every way. I've got a joke for you. How do you stop the leader of Vane's Magic Guild? Just drop a few coins and she'll spend the rest of her life looking for them! Ha ha ha...
: That's not true! I would rather kick Borgan's ugly face in than find money!
: Hey Lemina, is that a piece of silver under that chair?
: Back off everyone! I saw it first! That silver's mine!
: See what I mean?

'Seriously, Lemina, you have a problem.'

: If'n anyone says bad things 'bout Lenny, Lenny'll use his new magic on them. But I'd never use it on your flyin' bunny. Say mister, can I pet it?
: First, I'm a flying cat. Now, I'm a flying bunny. Sheesh, what's next?

: My daughter has returned to live here with us. We're finally a family again! I'd like to give you something as a reward for your efforts!
: Oh no, please I don't want you to give me a reward... ...but then again, I don't want to be disrespectful, either. Okay, hand it over!!!
: I still haven't quite figured you out, Lemina...

I'd dare say she's not that complex, Ruby. (No, we don't get anything, by the way.)

: Now it's as if I've awakened from a dark, evil sleep. Thank you for making it all possible!

And yes, unlike the kids in the Zen Zone, the ones in the mine are back home.

: But I'm getting too old for all this stuff. Stop the ride. I want off.

Good idea; we should wrap this up. We're gonna one last stop, however. Since we've got Leo, there's some new dialogue in Raculi.

: Walk to the altar already! Ya don't want ta let a good woman slip your grip!
: Hmm, gotcha buddy. But, ya know, I've got to be ready for this...
: Ronfar, if you wait 'til you're ready, you'll never do it. Take my advice and jump in with both feet. I want to call you brother!

: Mauri, I know we've our differences in the past, but...
: Stop! Don't even mention the past. All is forgiven. I don't blame you for what happened. You had no way of knowing...
: Sister, you are kind beyond words. I don't deserve the forgiveness you give so easily, but I will accept it. Thank you...

: Leo, please consider staying here with us in Raculi. We can always use another skilled hand in the village.
: Give me time, Mauri. Adventuring is in my soul. I don't know if I can give it all up and settle down.
: Oh Mauri! You're giving me that look again! Don't worry! I'm fine. I just have some things to work out, that's all. I'm going to find a very isolated place to sort it all out...

I'd hate to ruin this moment with masturbation joke, but when you hand it to me like that.... (Heh, "hand.")

: I can promise you one thing, though. If you and Ronfar have a little one, I'll be back to baby-sit in a second! I want to see what kind of kids this joker can sire! Ha ha ha!
: Well, if that's the best I can get, I'll take it. Just know that we're always here for you...
: ...always. Remember that, buddy.

And with that, we're... not quite done. We've got one last thing to do. Do you remember the Lion's Head and the Dragon's Den, the two optional dungeons in the game? I cleared them out before the epilogue, but it's actually a good idea to go back to both of them. Why?

There's new treasure.

Do you remember this treasure chest? The new treasure is here. In the epilogue, one treasure chest in the Lion's Nest is filled with a new treasure, and one in the Dragon's Nest is also. No, I have no idea how you'd figure this out on your own. Oh, and if you didn't get the Lucky Bandanna, it's gone now. Fair enough, it wasn't very good, but if you're trying to be a completionist I can see how that can be annoying.

So where is the new treasure in the Dragon's Den?

Of course it is.

So what do these treasures do, you may wonder?

Annoyingly, neither has hint text.

Although the Dimension Ring gives you two extra attacks (it's replacing the Wind Pendant, so that's why it only says one.) So that's worth it on it's own. Lucia's Tear only appears to give a slight boost to attack. Kinda lame.

Well, let's put both on Jean, and go into battle. See what happens.

...yeah.

So what just happened?

The Dimension Ring allows you to attack the enemy without moving. Pretty good, although the plus two to number of attacks is more appealing to me. Lucia's Tear makes the character's attack hit all enemies at once. Yeah. Not bad. Combined... it's gonna make either Jean or Hiro a veritable force of destruction. Moreso, anyway.

All right, finally, finally, we're going to tackle an epilogue dungeon next time. Hope to get that one out sooner, at least.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Holy hell, that is a LOT of chatter. You are a dedicated individual.

Also, "Maybe she's born with it" is the slogan for Maybelline, not Oil of Olay.

...god, I feel lame for catching that almost immediately.

Also, does Lucia's Tear keep the same number of attacks as without it? I recall the Ghaleon's Tear accessory (from the PSX remake of Silver Star, which does the same thing as Lucia's Tear here) dropping you down to one #Attack. Perhaps they decided Lucia's Tear was too broken. And indeed, it would've been in SSSC, especially since my favorite target for that thing was Nash, who was not only the fastest character in the game, but his ultimate weapon had an occasional instant death proc (like 20-30% of the time). Just the one attack with that thing was crazy enough.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 17, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Bufuman posted:

Holy hell, that is a LOT of chatter. You are a dedicated individual.

Also, "Maybe she's born with it" is the slogan for Maybelline, not Oil of Olay.

...god, I feel lame for catching that almost immediately.

That was the joke :ssh:

Bufuman posted:

Also, does Lucia's Tear keep the same number of attacks as without it? I recall the Ghaleon's Tear accessory (from the PSX remake of Silver Star, which does the same thing as Lucia's Tear here) dropping you down to one #Attack. Perhaps they decided Lucia's Tear was too broken. And indeed, it would've been in SSSC, especially since my favorite target for that thing was Nash, who was not only the fastest character in the game, but his ultimate weapon had an occasional instant death proc (like 20-30% of the time). Just the one attack with that thing was crazy enough.

Yes, you keep the same number of attacks! And yes, it is over-powered! Oh yes it is... (Although it actually works a *little* differently than I show, but I'll explain it in the next update.) So, yeah, they dropped it down to one attack for a reason.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 17, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
John Stossel has been covering safety and human rights issues for decades. He is currently busy covering government over-regulation that shuts down children's hobbies and massive barriers to entry.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
So... 4 attacks on every enemy at once? That's pretty fantastic.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except we're in the epilogue and there's hardly anything left.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And you have to go through two dungeons again to get them. But I suppose just doing victory laps is a good enough endgame activity.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
There's a couple dungeons left, there's time to get some use out of them.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 47: I Am Getting Plenty Sick of This drat Dungeon Theme

All right, let's cut to the chase; here are the Dragon Ruins. We started the game here, and it's also one of the epilogue dungeons. We can do these next two dungeons in any order, but this one is easier, so we start here.

Hey, the rocks have conveniently been cleared out! Well ain't that nice.

Oh goodie, the worst theme in the game. Joy.

And as befitting the boring music, the dungeon itself is rather boring. There's not a lot of twists and turns or surprises here, with about two exceptions. So let's jump right into enemy talk.

The very first encounter I experience here pretty aptly demonstrates the power of Jean's Lucia's Tear/Dimension Ring set-up, as well as illuminating how it works.

When you attack with Lucia's Tear, one of the enemies is designated the main target, and it takes full damage. The rest of the enemies take half damage. This works exactly the same way with criticals, by the way. As a matter of fact, the screenshot you see is a crit hit. Now unfortunately your main target will keep changing, which I'm not sure if that's because of Lucia's Tear or the Dimension Ring. (Probably the latter) But as you can guess, if you get a string of criticals, and the game is very generous with critical hits, you can demolish enemy encounters. And for posterity, no, Lucia's Tear doesn't reduce number of attacks like similar items do in the remakes.

Point is? Jean killed two of the three enemies in the very first turn, and Leo finished off the remainder. The enemy never hit me once. Cannon Thugs have 800 HP, by the way.

However, as you might imagine, pulling something like this off is very, very luck reliant. What's the enemy like if they don't get demolished by Jean the destruction machine?

...ouch.

Yeah, and it doesn't matter which character that decides to hit, by the way. It's a one-hit kill. Now, unless the cannons are tilted up, they won't actually do anything. But it's not uncommon to get into a battle with two cannons both upright. Try to kill 'em as soon as possible.

Oh, but the cannon blasts have different effects.

Same turn, by the way. Yeah, they attack twice. This is still one of the less dangerous ones if you make sure everyone wears something that protects against sleep. (And if you've been thorough about treasure you should have enough.) Doesn't help Jean, though, because of my accessory choice for her.

Yeah, one thing that sucks about the Lucia Tear/Dimension Ring combo is that there's no room for status protecting accessories. Most of the enemies here are rather fast, and only Jean is reliably faster. So the accessory combo is really best on her. At least you can hope she'll just kill the enemy before they sleep her.

The Cannon Angels are by far the nastiest enemies here, but it's not just Cannon Angels. What else we got here?

The Fire Elementals aren't as scary, but they can do some damage too.

Fortunately, out of everything here, they have least HP at 400. Yeah, 800 or so is about the norm for HP in this dungeon.

Now these guys-

Oh that's just sad.

Actually, while the Decepticons here did not take the bomp from bompalompalomp, they can cast Spark Cannon.

And they're pretty good at it. They telegraph that by holding their flashing hands up from under their cloak.

Oh yeah, and there's these guys. They're Blood Lords. They do about 30 to 40 damage per attack, and they get two. I assume they get a special attack too, but I never saw it.

At the very least, you get some drat good MExp and Silver out of it. I could buy even more Silverlights.

I never actually do.

And that's about it for enemies. I suppose I should actually talk about the dungeon itself at least a little bit.

Oh, here's something to talk about! On the second floor, there's an exit. Go out and-

Uh. Okay. I went and looked at the first update again, and yes, this is the exit Hiro runs out of when he's escaping the ruins at the beginning of the game. Neat continuity, I guess. I'm not sure why the real entrance of the dungeon can't be where we ran out; it seems like a really weird superfluous detail. I guess it's meant to be a trap, but it's on the second floor. That it's barely a speedbump. Anyway, back into the dungeon. On the third floor there's... uh...

This.

You can't fall through that hole, by the way. No, seriously, I tried. You just slide along the edge, like you with all other solid objects.

There's a couple holes, but can't fall down those either. I... I don't get this dungeon.

On the fifth floor we've got this armor for Hiro. Sadly, this means unequipping the Phoenix Mail, which has Revive Magic attached to it. Leo can wear it, but it's actually a downgrade. It's not that severe a downgrade, so if you really want that Revive Magic you can probably just do it. Still, I've got the Phoenix Ring, so I don't really need it.

On the seventh floor we have a fork in the road. Er, sort of. There is another staircase leading down directly to the right of where you enters. Go down it.

Looks like Hiro is going to get himself a set of these. Although Hiro's current Flaming Shield protects against Sleep, so it's actually really useful here. Still, the Dragon Shield gives him a counter attack, so I just put a Fresh Ring on instead of the Refresher Ring he had on. And yes, Leo can wear the Flaming Shield but he shouldn't.

Now on the eight floor there's a doorway directly to the left of where we enter. If we enter it, we'll get the jewel and we could just warp out. However, further to the left there's two staircases with treasure beyond each of them. Obviously, we go for the treasure first.

If we go down the descending staircase, we get this. The Life Bracelet is for Ronfar and gives a Regen effect. It's a bit of a dilemma, because his current Justice Bracelet lets him cast Magic Swiper. Honestly, though, at this point a) I'm generally having Lemina heal us after battles so Ronfar isn't using any MP and b) if I need to give Ronfar MP in boss fights I might as well use a drat Silverlight. I keep the Justice Bracelet just in case, but I don't think I ever use it.

And up the other flight of stairs we have-

A boss fight! Yeah, they do just put it in the middle of the room. I knew this fight was coming, but I didn't realize where it was, so I was caught off guard.

We have fought Doppelgangers as a random encounters in the Dragon's Den, but we only fought two or three at a time. Not only are we fighting the full set, these guys are a lot stronger than the guys we fought before.

Still, like in Dragon's Den, the Hiro clone is the strongest, so we focus on him first.

THEIR JEAN IS FASTER THAN MY JEAN?! I CALL SHENANIGANS!

By the way, that did about 100. DoppelJean gets four attacks. At least she doesn't focus on one character.

Still, the most dangerous doppel remains Hiro. This battle got off to an auspicious start.

DoppelLeo's Flash Blade is a little less impressive, though.

Oh, by the way, Leo had a new skill I never showed off. It's Grizzle Gash; it hits all enemies. It's nice. Can't really go wrong with that sort of skill.

Thankfully, DoppelRonfar and DoppelLemina are as stupid as they were in Dragon's Den and they just whack us with their sticks. Well, they try to.

Oh, yeah, Jean's current equipment allows her to counter. And when she does, she still hits all enemies. Nice.

Thankfully, I had Lem cast White Dragon Protect in the earlier round, so DoppelHiro's Poe Sword doesn't kill anyone off. (And it would have been Ronfar!)

Oh, and speaking of DoppelHiro and counters-

Jean kills off DoppelHiro after countering DoppelLeo. Nice.

Leo revives Hiro, and we're back in business.

Man, even DoppelLemina hits for a fair amount.

Anyway, Jean kills off all the rest of the doppels in the third turn. I don't think I've properly established how awesome the Lucia's Tear/Dimension Ring combo is, especially if you're getting lucky with the crits.

And these Doppelgangers reward far better than the ones in Dragon's Den. drat.

So what did we fight this random boss fight for?

A staff for Lemina. Seems a little underwhelming, honestly. Actually, this is her best staff, gives a wisdom boost, and it has MP absorb. Doesn't cast a spell if you use it, though, which seems odd to me. I still keep the Onyx Staff around just so Lemina can do something in battles that's not attacking or using MP.

And that was it for treasure. Let's go back to the eight floor, through the door, and get the jewel.

: Now that we have the left Dragon Eye Jewel, I wonder where the right one is? Do you know, Hiro?

...uh, Nall told us. Have you not been paying attention?

In any case, we are done with the Dragon Ruins. Time to warp out.

First, I spent my MExp. I finally maxed out Ronfar's Health skillset. The rest went into Lem's Fire magic. She got her upgraded Fire all-enemies spell, but still hasn't gotten onto her third tier fire spells.

While I'd normally want each of these dungeons to have its own update, the Dragon Ruins weren't that interesting, so let's just go on and do the next epilogue dungeon while we're here. Where did Nall say the next dungeon was?

Nall posted:

You can probably find one in the ice tower near my cave, to the west. I'll make the tower visible to you.

Ah. Let's go to area where the White Dragon Cave is and look around.

Oh, that was easy. Yeah, it's on the way to the White Dragon Cave, and as long as you made sure to talk to Nall, you can't miss it.

They really didn't put a lot of effort into these epilogue dungeons, did they?

The remake removes this dungeon entirely. Instead, the second epilogue dungeon is in a forest between Vane and Azado. It's a water dungeon. It's okay.

Actually, the remake is kind of weird about the epilogue. You can't visit the optional dungeons until the endgame, for one. So that means no chests get refilled in the epilogue. Which is simpler, yes, but I still don't know why they'd push all the optional content to the end game. Also they add two new optional dungeons. Which if I recall they're kind of rear end.

Back to the dungeon at hand. The Sunken Tower here has kind of a gimmick. We start on the sixth floor. Our eventual goal is to reach the seventh, but we first have to go all the way down. Each of the floors are divided into very small, separate boxes, and for right now there's only one way to go, so this actually goes very quickly.

On the third floor, there's another ascending staircase to the left. Go up and you get-

Nothing.

Meanies. :(

On the second floor you again have a split in the road. Go left, since there's nothing on the right.

And suddenly I remember I haven't mentioned enemies at all. Mainly because they're the same enemies as in the Dragon Ruins, but with Hell Raisers instead of Fire Elementals.

They're pretty nasty customers. They're as fast as or faster than Jean (SHENANIGANS!!!), can Stone you, and since they have two attacks, they can hit you once you're stoned. Fortunately, their attack power is rather low. (Hiro never actually died in this battle, but he got close.)

Once we're on the first floor, it's time to go back up. Until the fifth floor, all you can do is just go up.

On the fifth floor, if you're paying attention, you'll see this. There is, indeed, a door there.

We're going back down- again! This will lead you down to the second floor. It'll look like a dead end, but-

Secret passage!

I guess it's easy enough to stumble upon it by accident, but considering that this game doesn't really have secret passages, this is a bit of mean trick.

We get a weapon for Leo. It has a "surefire attack" which I'm pretty sure means it can't miss. I'm more excited to finally get a new weapon for him.

And now we go all the way back up to the fifth floor, and continue going up to the seventh floor, which is the top. Once we reach the top floor we just need to find the jewel and we're technically done, but there's treasure to get, drat it.

There's three other descending staircases on the top floor, but two of them lead to dead ends. Instead let's-

Wow, I got ambushed! That hardly ever-

Oh this could be bad.

Oh, I never mentioned that the Cannon Angel have an AoE attack. They do.

But, yeah, this is what I end the surprise round on.

So the end result shouldn't be surprising. Cannon Angels are nasty normally, but getting ambushed by them is just mean, game.

When I reload, I get ambushed again, but thankfully by only one Cannon Angel this time.

For the sake of completion, they're actually called Cannon Thugs in this dungeon, even though they're pretty much the same enemy as the Cannon Angels in the previous dungeon. And they're not like the Cannon Angels in Zophar- gently caress it, let's just call them Cannon Angels.

Anyway, the only path that leads to treasure is the top right staircase here. It'll look like a dead end when you go down it, but if you walk down a bit you'll see a door. Go down it to the fifth floor.

They're a staircase to your left, and another staircase beyond the doorway. Let's go through the doorway first.

A new robe for Lemina! It can absorb magic, although I never really see enemies here use magic on me. Also, the robe she already has on lets her cast Recovery Litany, which I've been relying on. I decided I'd try out the new robe, but honestly I'll probably switch back to old one, at least for dungeon crawling. I quite like having her with Recovery Litany.

Anyway, let's go back up and check on the other pathway. Go down the stairs and keep going down until you reach the third floor.

You actually go out through the secret passage, which is a little odd. Anyway, one more floor down.

Both of these are for Jean. The Goddess Bracelet gives a boost to agility while replacing Aura Bracelet which boosted range and let her cast one of Hiro's lovely spells. It's not even a contest, especially considering my accessory choice. The Spiked Jacket is just a straight upgrade.

All right, back up to the seventh floor! From the staircase, just go left. And, uh... make sure you're healed up and maybe have the White Dragon Crest and Blue Dragon Crest equipped because-

: Your daring will be your downfall. I cannot allow you to take the Dragon Jewel to open the Star Dragon Tower. There can be no travel to the Blue Star until the appointed time. I will stop you at any cost...

Hey, it's our old friend Bandit Butt!

Well I'm happy to see you too, rear end in a top hat. (That's Aura Blast, by the way.)

Yeah, so Bandit Butt here is much, much nasty than when we faced him last. First off, he has over ten thousand hit points. He does massively high damage, he's fast... he's a mean dude.

Oh, and when he does this little number, his next move is going be something called Snake Attack. Also, this blocks your attacks. Remember how I said he was fast? Yeah, if he pulls this, every one except Jean is going to waste their attacks. Yay.

Snake Attack itself isn't that bad, though. It's an AoE, although you can't really tell from the gif.

Oh, and thanks Revive Magic for putting Lemina all the way over there so I can't use Magic Shield. You're a peach.

Oh, and when Jean did her Blue Dragon Vigor each loving hit was a critical. She only did about 380 per hit, so this isn't a repeat of Hiro's demolishing of Master Zophar, but still kind of impressive.

Anyway, when Bandit Butt's eyes are flashing he's going to-

Oh that's not a promising name for an attack.

Really, what's hard in this fight is keeping Lemina alive. I never even got to see what Pressure Cooker did, because when I did get her up I just wanted to keep her alive.

Oh, not cool! Plagiarizing rear end in a top hat.

Oh, and for some reason, he can an attack called Slaughter Slice but it's the same thing as Killing Fields. I think the difference is that after Slaughter Slice, he gets another attack. (Or it's a response to White Dragon Protect, which I did cast, but I really doubt it.)

I actually put an Angel Ring on Hiro before this fight, basically because I couldn't think of a better accessory. So I got at least one use out of an Angel Ring. Go me.

Of course, had I put it on Lemina instead she could survived the first round and put up Magic Shield. I'm a great planner.

Still, as annoying as this fight is, I wouldn't say it's hard. One more Blue Dragon Vigor and he's down.

By the way, he gives the maximum amount of experience any enemy in this game can give. Any more triggers a roll-over glitch. The Ice Mongrels around the White Dragon Cave give this much experience if you manage to kill them. Had we somehow killed one when we first encountered them that would have been a major boon.

: Don't think that this is the last time our paths will cross... You have not won...
: Hey, that's the guy we met in Bandit Butte, isn't it? He must be some sort of guardian or something. I wish there was some way to let him know that our intentions are good, just like Althena...

Considering that we don't have an antagonist at this point, we've got to have someone adding conflict. So, I wouldn't bet on this resolving peacefully.

: Hiro, you've found the other jewel! Now we've got both! Let's make tracks for the Star Dragon Tower! I bet these get us in!

This time around no acrobatics are necessary, so we just walk up and talk the jewel.

And you'd think now is the time to warp out, but there's one more little thing to the left.

Now you'd think this was a weapon for Jean.

It's not. She can't equip it.

And this all the hint text says about it. As a matter of fact, the Japanese version displays stats for it, but it's still not equippable. I'm guessing this was intended to be a weapon, but it was either coded into database incorrectly or otherwise incomplete. The fact that it's not dummied out and in a freaking treasure chest is a little baffling, though. They must really not have been trying very hard by this point in development.

So what does it do?

It casts Plasma Shock if used as an item. Lame.

EDIT: Prism has some words on the Flame Fist:

Prism posted:

Nobody is entirely sure what's up with the Flame Fist. I didn't list it in the dummied-out items because it's clearly there, it's just pointless.

Its stats in the Japanese version (still unequippable but you can see them when you select it) are Attack +210, which would have made it Jean's best weapon; the Kaiser Knuckles that you have are +180. It doesn't have anything else associated with it other than casting Plasma Shock when used as an item, so it probably wouldn't have been particularly broken; it's not like it's grossly overpowered or anything like the removed Grim Rapier.

It just... doesn't work.

Prism posted:

Lunar, and a lot of CD-based games where disc size is not an issue, traditionally dummy things out mostly by making them inaccessible. Stuff like the Dark Scimitar or the Pickaxe works fine if you get it into your inventory somehow and can be equipped normally; there's just no legitimate way to do so. Even the Grim Rapier, whose Dragon Damage is very clearly not entirely coded, is equippable by its intended user - it's just not available in the game under normal circumstances.

There aren't any fully complete items on the disc that can't be equipped by anyone at all... except this one. (There are glitchy 'items' that aren't items at all, but those don't count; that's the game reading data that was never meant to be an item as one.) So it's weird; even if they intended to take it out, I'd still expect it to work if they forgot to remove the chest! The other removed items do.

And on that disappointing note, that's it for Dragon Eye jewels. Next time... we're gonna finish the game. For real this time.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 6, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Now you'd think this was a weapon for Jean.

It's not. She can't equip it.

And this all the hint text says about it. As a matter of fact, the Japanese version displays stats for it, but it's still not equippable. I'm guessing this was intended to be a weapon, but it was either coded into database incorrectly or otherwise incomplete. The fact that it's not dummied out and in a freaking treasure chest is a little baffling, though. They must really not have been trying very hard by this point in development.

So what does it do?

It casts Plasma Shock if used as an item. Lame.

Nobody is entirely sure what's up with the Flame Fist. I didn't list it in the dummied-out items because it's clearly there, it's just pointless.

Its stats in the Japanese version (still unequippable but you can see them when you select it) are Attack +210, which would have made it Jean's best weapon; the Kaiser Knuckles that you have are +180. It doesn't have anything else associated with it other than casting Plasma Shock when used as an item, so it probably wouldn't have been particularly broken; it's not like it's grossly overpowered or anything like the removed Grim Rapier.

It just... doesn't work.

Speaking of the Grim Rapier, way back when I discussed it on page 9 I obscured where it did bonus damage from Dragon Damage and instantly killed some enemies affected by it. Those areas were Zophar's Domain (the kill part won't work on Zophar, but the bonus damage will, and the normal enemies all are affected by it), the Dragon Ruins and the Sunken Tower. It doesn't do it in any other areas, including the one you're about to go to, though it still does some bonus damage because it always does. It just doesn't do the glitchy instakill/Dragon Damage effect.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 29, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I kinda of guessed that it was supposed to be dummied out but wasn't, but... I don't know much about making games or whatever, it seems weird to forget to dummy something out (and then put it in a chest.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The dungeons in the remake are rear end mostly because one of them gives you an item that completely trivializes the rest.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

I kinda of guessed that it was supposed to be dummied out but wasn't, but... I don't know much about making games or whatever, it seems weird to forget to dummy something out (and then put it in a chest.)

Lunar, and a lot of CD-based games where disc size is not an issue, traditionally dummy things out mostly by making them inaccessible. Stuff like the Dark Scimitar or the Pickaxe works fine if you get it into your inventory somehow and can be equipped normally; there's just no legitimate way to do so. Even the Grim Rapier, whose Dragon Damage is very clearly not entirely coded, is equippable by its intended user - it's just not available in the game under normal circumstances.

There aren't any fully complete items on the disc that can't be equipped by anyone at all... except this one. (There are glitchy 'items' that aren't items at all, but those don't count; that's the game reading data that was never meant to be an item as one.) So it's weird; even if they intended to take it out, I'd still expect it to work if they forgot to remove the chest! The other removed items do.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 29, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Considering Vic Ireland's almost troll-like insistence that you could get the Dark Scimitar normally in the game, maybe it was originally what was intended to be in that chest, and someone accidentally put in the wrong item identifier. Since it's basically in the rear end-end of the post-game, I could see it being glossed over by testers even in Japan.

Unfortunately, this game came out twenty years ago and pretty much everyone involved with developing or translating it has probably forgotten all of the technical ins-and-outs of it by now, so all we'll ever have is speculation.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

Considering Vic Ireland's almost troll-like insistence that you could get the Dark Scimitar normally in the game, maybe it was originally what was intended to be in that chest, and someone accidentally put in the wrong item identifier. Since it's basically in the rear end-end of the post-game, I could see it being glossed over by testers even in Japan.

Unfortunately, this game came out twenty years ago and pretty much everyone involved with developing or translating it has probably forgotten all of the technical ins-and-outs of it by now, so all we'll ever have is speculation.

His insistence was because it was mentioned in the manual and he didn't want to be proven wrong. The Dark Scimitar would've been really underpowered for that box, too; +140 attack, but at that point Hiro already has much better options. Hiro's best weapon that's actually in-game has +230 attack, and you can't avoid having access to a +210 attack weapon - it's Ghaleon's Sword and you got it when you beat him.

It was also edited between Japan and America, because the description of the attack power on it is gone. A translator wouldn't have done that without being told to cut it. Compare:

So yeah. Nobody knows. It's a mystery. But I don't think it would ever have been intended to be the Dark Scimitar in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, are there any endgame enemies that don't hit you for all your hit points?

• Locked thread