Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I guess given the color, this was a city cop car and not a highway patrol car. What I heard (which might not be reliable at all) was that beat cop cars spend huge amounts of time idling at a dead stop, so the odometer reading can be a bit misleading (e.g., there's a lot more wear on the engine then you might expect). Whereas highway patrol cars put a lot more highway miles on the odo (for obvious reasons) and so you get high mile cars which are actually in much better condition.

In any case you can't ask for a car with wider parts availability. Mileage will suck but you're a city dweller so you probably don't put that much miles on a car. Probably the only drawback is parking it in the city since it's kind of big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's got good steering angle and a shorter wheelbase than you'd think. You will hang the trunk over the curb in a tight parking situation, though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, will the 4.6 have the spark plug problem I've heard about? The removal or lack therof, I mean.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yes.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I miss my P71 :(. Enjoy finding coolant pooled inside the passenger footwell!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Soo 6 speed ford lightning swap right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VFvzbT4Jb8

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Oh, will the 4.6 have the spark plug problem I've heard about? The removal or lack therof, I mean.

No. That was for the later motors with the "modified" super long spark plugs that break.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god and my tax return just showed up. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY LIFE?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Oh my god and my tax return just showed up. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY LIFE?

Nice new ride, Dick Grandpa!

What's going on with your life? You've been busting your rear end for the past couple years... and it's paying off, that's what. :glomp:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
When are you putting a nitrous system on it? Soon?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm at the shop now getting an oil change and lifetime alignment. After that, it's to the wreckers to get some rims and a steering wheel. Also the parts store for headlight bulbs and wipers. The bulbs work they just seem really dim, and the wiring looked intact so start with the easy preventative stuff first.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
The end is neigh. A sensible car, and money.. in a 14" thread.

gently caress it, I'm gonna buy a Kia and some Chinos.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If the lenses are cloudy at all they will buff out nice and clear with one of those kits, the Mother's kit is the best one. If you're in the city mostly not a big deal, but out in rural areas it makes a big difference.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Got it on the alignment rack, found that it was actually pretty god damned tight in the front end. The camber and caster were mostly in spec, 0.4* cross differences. Specs wanted-0.5* camber and 5 caster, i got both sides to -0.9* camber and 5.4 caster. Toe as suspected was way out, but the adjustment collars on my tie rods were nearly totally frozen so I manhandled it into spec for total toe to not wear the tires out, and I've got total front tie rod assemblies ordered.

Headlights wound up just being black from age, probably one pothole away from popping for good. Replaced both. New oil change. Checked trans fluid, theres some very slight seepage from the pan but the fluid looked nice and red and new. Also got 8 OEM Ford spark plugs, dont know if I need them but I'm just going to do what I can now and get it done with.

On my way to the crown vic graveyard.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Nice find. For the record, it's a lot of fun to find a curvy back road on a dark night, and have a friend do adaptive headlighting around the corners with the spotlight. My friend has a 2005ish and we used to do that.

It's also super fun to drive slowly by a highschool house party, park down the block, and follow the the first car to leave for about three blocks :ninja:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You could probably tie a string from the top of the steering wheel to the spotlight to get adaptive headlights without having to have any friends. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could probably tie a string from the top of the steering wheel to the spotlight to get adaptive headlights without having to have any friends. :v:

Wouldn't that only work for the first time you turned left?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whoa, look at who has big engineer pants here.

Ok, use a bungee cord. Or a complicated system of same including one that loops under the car and attaches to the underside of the wheel.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Nice find. For the record, it's a lot of fun to find a curvy back road on a dark night, and have a friend do adaptive headlighting around the corners with the spotlight. My friend has a 2005ish and we used to do that.

It's also super fun to drive slowly by a highschool house party, park down the block, and follow the the first car to leave for about three blocks :ninja:

This just made me want a P71. Both parts. I must do this.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Whoa, look at who has big engineer pants here.

Ok, use a bungee cord. Or a complicated system of same including one that loops under the car and attaches to the underside of the wheel.

In true form with the OP, he should sell the Vic and get an imported Citroen DS to get working adaptive headlights.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Did it have any fun prizes in the glovebox or the trunk?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No prizes, but I did just whip out of a parking lot and turn my headlights on because it was drizzling and the dude in front of me immediately popped his hazards on and pulled over. I wasnt even chasing him down and obviously dont have strobes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You now need to get the police light app on your phone and rubber band it to the visor.
Flip down turn on and enjoy everyone getting out of the way.

Please post before going to jail. So we can send you smokes.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Please post before going to jail. So we can send you smokes.

I'm not locked up in here with you! You're locked in here WITH ME!!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

No prizes, but I did just whip out of a parking lot and turn my headlights on because it was drizzling and the dude in front of me immediately popped his hazards on and pulled over. I wasnt even chasing him down and obviously dont have strobes.

Haha, get used to this. People slowing way down in front of you will get annoying after awhile. Also it's funny to see people come flying up behind you on the interstate and slam on the brakes. Once I had a guy on a crotch rocket come flying up and almost wrecked trying not to pass me :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe time to buy a Blackvue or something, run a dashcam and show us all the people who are afraid of you.

Plus now you probably have a bitchin' work car for when you quit your job and become a theme stripper.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Just get a "POCATON" plate, or use those stickers you're so fond of.

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 2, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

And so it begins :allears:

I can't freak people out as much, mine has glasspacks and Bullitt wheels :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mine is an LX Sport, has 17" alloys and chrome trim and it still freaks people out. It looks nothing like any local police cruisers marked or unmarked, I don't get it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

Mine is an LX Sport, has 17" alloys and chrome trim and it still freaks people out. It looks nothing like any local police cruisers marked or unmarked, I don't get it.

"Maybe it's like... an undercover!"

Yours at least has that going for it. I love how mine looks and sounds, but the only time it terrifies people is at night when I come flying up behind them and all they see is the headlights :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I guess it's just safer to assume every Crown Vic is a cop car? Seems like that's what most people do.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

leica posted:

I guess it's just safer to assume every Crown Vic is a cop car? Seems like that's what most people do.

I still subconsciously hit the brakes whenever I see one.

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010
Great car, just needs the finishing touch

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
More pictures.

Here's one of the tie rods.

Paints not too bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Those are some pretty terrible crush bends, it would probably sound better/move quicker with a new exhaust system.

I really like the former-service look... purposeful and you don't really need to care about it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ooof, that patch job by the taillight is rough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is probably where the police had the low-band VHF and/or CB antenna mounted. At least you can look at it and tell exactly where all the holes are, and how much rust is involved, because of how much patching (gently caress all) they did.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Great excuse to stick a big gently caress-off whip antenna back on, too.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

leica posted:

I have the shape memorized... If I see it I brake because it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially when I'm driving in suburb cities with bored cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mat_Drinks posted:

I have the shape memorized... If I see it I brake because it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially when I'm driving in suburb cities with bored cops.

This is me, just with the Holden Commodore here; they too are ubiquitous and all look the same. The worst is when some prick has a solar phone charger and a GPS in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE as the cop cars have their little LED light blocks on the dashboard.

edit:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 2, 2013