Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sure looks like an NMO type antenna mount for a two way, likely VHF-high (2 meter), UHF (70cm), or 800MHz trunking radio setup.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got the steering midshaft in and it feels like new instead of like a wet noodle.

Changed the oil too and my Rhino ramps are starting to buckle under the weight :btroll:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Changed the oil too and my Rhino ramps are starting to buckle under the weight :btroll:

I'm still not over how well this thing sticks considering its sheer mass, it inspires far more confidence than taking a quick turn in the Volvo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's just the body roll that annoys me. I would love to get a set of ADDCO sways to cure that but this needs to be next

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_yid1_pid9_gid462.html

Then probably gonna start rebuilding the front end, new front coils and KYB's all around. Aftermarket goodies won't be happening for awhile :smith:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

emptyspace posted:

I don't have a P71, but I do have the Ford repair manual for several different models. Here's what it says about the 02 CV antenna:

The antenna is concealed on the inside of the rear window glass. The AM antenna consists of the rear window defroster grid and the FM antenna is the conductive tracing above the rear window defroster grid.

Okay, that is rad as hell.

I've always kind of wanted one of these but I ended up in different places. At the moment I'm ditching a late-model Mustang for a significantly older Silverado 3500 dually with a flatbed. Duty calls.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The nice thing about American cars it seems to me is that there are a shitload of OEM parts you can swap on from other platform mate models. Are there no Panthers that have thicker sway bars that would be cheaper from a junkyard than addco aftermarket gubbins?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Marauders, that's it. Mine currently has a Marauder sway bar on the rear that the PO installed, but I guess it's not that much bigger than stock. The ADDCO's are pretty fat and according to people that have installed them they are the best thing you can do for a Panther because they almost completely eliminate body roll.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the P71 is the car you would gank those bits off of if you had a softer Panther car you wanted to firm up. Is the Marauder suspension actually any beefier than the P71?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It might be cheaper to chop the blades off the existing sway bar and weld in a bigger bar of spring steel? I assume that's what all the custom swaybar manufacturers do to make theirs.

This is also coincidentally why I haven't bothered to learn to weld. "Hey, time to make my own chassis components and then drive to work on them!"

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 6, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That can wreak havoc with the hardening and other properties of the metal, and even result in breakage.

Most (but not all) sway bars are one contiguous piece of metal rod, bent into the right shape to fit the car's suspension design and then treated to give them the right properties and spring rate.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the P71 is the car you would gank those bits off of if you had a softer Panther car you wanted to firm up. Is the Marauder suspension actually any beefier than the P71?

Not really, the sway bars are a little thicker and that's about it. P71's have the highest spring rates for Panthers and also the stiffest shocks out of the box. But even the PI shocks are adequate at best (I have them), most people run Bilstein if they want decent handling although some people complain they're too stiff. This is coming from lots of old people though. I'd love Bilsteins, but the KYB monotubes are half the cost and from what I understand pretty drat close to Bilstein.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I followed the antenna wire to the trunk where it makes a U turn into the rear passenger pillar and goes upward. This thing is on my roof, is this my antenna mount? I've never seen one so wide before, if it is what kind of antenna can I use for my radio?

That is an NMO mount. There are lots of antennas available for NMO, but chances are high that things ends up with some kind of PL259 or SMA connector and not what you will want/need for an AM/FM radio as they are typically used for 2-ways and scanners.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
The more I read the thread, the more I think a P71 would make me a perfect daily beater.

Did the column shifter only come on the police package? I prefer it to console auto shifters because...I'm a little weird.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm pretty sure only the Sport (wat?) trim was offered with a console shifter. A brief glance at Wikipedia suggests that the Sport trim was dropped for 06 (and moved into a handling package for 07), and civilian sales ended after the 07 - so no console shifters after 2007, I guess.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 7, 2013

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Got it.

drat I want one. It's built like a truck, I can sort of (ab)use it like a truck, and spill coffee in it and not give two shits. That huge trunk is perfect for hauling all sorts of crap.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Strawberry posted:

Got it.

drat I want one. It's built like a truck, I can sort of (ab)use it like a truck, and spill coffee in it and not give two shits. That huge trunk is perfect for hauling all sorts of crap.

I managed to fit like 3 full size spare tires in my trunk alone, no lie. Real life tests with friends have also proved that they can hold one grown male, sitting comfortably, without issue :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It came out a lot darker than intended, but I'm just going to roll as is for now until I need to change anything. I went with 20% based purely off their little demo tags on the wall. They did quality work though,and my coworker had their car tinted by them 3 years ago and still looks like new. Midnight Tint on Aurora. If I had to do it over again I'd probably go with 30%

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^ Looks good

Strawberry posted:

Got it.

IMO, it rivals most SUVs for utility. The trunk is huge and also safer as it's separate from the passenger compartment. With SUVs and wagons it's realy not a good idea to stack poo poo higher than the top of the seat. Even then, unless it's secured tightly it's bad news in an accident. Throw a roof rack on top of a Crown Vic and you've got a vehicle that will rival any SUV out there. Crown Vics are awesome camping vehicles :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks damned good. I've never had darker than 30%, but I bet you'll get used to it. Like others, this thread is making me want one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

^^^^ Looks good

IMO, it rivals most SUVs for utility. The trunk is huge and also safer as it's separate from the passenger compartment. With SUVs and wagons it's realy not a good idea to stack poo poo higher than the top of the seat. Even then, unless it's secured tightly it's bad news in an accident. Throw a roof rack on top of a Crown Vic and you've got a vehicle that will rival any SUV out there. Crown Vics are awesome camping vehicles :)

If I had the money, I'd trade my Blazer for a Crown Vic in a hot second. Only issue is I'd really like it to be a manual, and Ford made approximately seven of those.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Fucknag posted:

If I had the money, I'd trade my Blazer for a Crown Vic in a hot second. Only issue is I'd really like it to be a manual, and Ford made approximately seven of those.

Who cares how many THEY made, how many can you make?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah manual swaps are pretty common and not that difficult.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rolling stakeout.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Little bit of work and I've now got the ability for more than Am/Fm! Cheapy Pioneer deck from craigslist. 30 bucks, an install kit, and only one blown fuse.

Don't ever look inside the dash.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've got 4x6 Pioneer 3 ways in the doors and rear deck and it made a huge improvement. I've got the stock premium deck though, it's made by Alpine and puts out plenty of power for me. Plus I have steering wheel controls and I don't wanna gently caress that up :)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I forget what i'm using, I think some cheapy VR3 Wal*Mart special, but you'd be surprised just how good the stock speakers are. I've cranked mine up pretty loud and cranked the bass on my deck while listening to Glitch Mob and good lord those speakers sounded good. They have a surprising amount of bass to them for the factory speakers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nah, stock speakers are ALWAYS the weak link of a system. If you think the stock speakers sound good, just think how good some cheap Pioneer/Kenwood 3 ways would sound. I would probably even do 6x9's in the rear deck for better bass, I just didn't go that route because I didn't feel like cutting a bigger hole.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

Nah, stock speakers are ALWAYS the weak link of a system. If you think the stock speakers sound good, just think how good some cheap Pioneer/Kenwood 3 ways would sound. I would probably even do 6x9's in the rear deck for better bass, I just didn't go that route because I didn't feel like cutting a bigger hole.

Well yeah, i'm not disagreeing with that, i'm just saying for factory speakers they sound amazingly good :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

Plus I have steering wheel controls and I don't wanna gently caress that up :)

I really hope my sarcasm meter is just broken.

Since there's hundreds of adapters to tie that poo poo into any major-name head unit now

leica posted:

just think how good some ... 3 ways would sound

This part, however, I fully agree with. :quagmire:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

Since there's hundreds of adapters to tie that poo poo into any major-name head unit now

Unless you have a BOSE system. gently caress, you insert a CD and it breaks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Unless you have a BOSE system. gently caress, you insert a CD and it breaks.

Who ever thought BOSE was good is a total loving retard. Its hilariously retarded, especially the integration on GM's products. (I am staring directly at the Cadillac division)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

The expensive head units maybe. Like I said though, the factory head unit is made by Alpine and is plenty powerful enough, looks good stock, and is ten times less likely to be stolen.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Who ever thought BOSE was good is a total loving retard. Its hilariously retarded, especially the integration on GM's products. (I am staring directly at the Cadillac division)

Same with Mazdas. If you want to upgrade ANYTHING to the stereo, you have to upgrade everything. Otherwise it's not balanced at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

Same with Mazdas. If you want to upgrade ANYTHING to the stereo, you have to upgrade everything. Otherwise it's not balanced at all.

It's nearly loving impossible to upgrade the head unit in the 6 because of how everything is integrated around it. And most of the dash replacement panels are brittle as poo poo. The most popular option I've seen is putting a second HU in the glovebox or trunk and using a remote to control things. As for speakers, it's not too hard to upgrade those but I gave up because I loving could not get the door card to snap loose.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's what sucks about the Mazda 6 and 3's. I really want a 6 wagon but I can't stand the lovely integrated system. And I feel sorry for all the people that bought base models and can't upgrade the crap stereo. Bose is lovely, but it has to be better than the base unit.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

leica posted:

That's what sucks about the Mazda 6 and 3's. I really want a 6 wagon but I can't stand the lovely integrated system. And I feel sorry for all the people that bought base models and can't upgrade the crap stereo. Bose is lovely, but it has to be better than the base unit.

The Bose unit is better than most stock stereos, but still nowhere near as good as the cheap HU and $100 speakers I had in my GTI. You can do a lot with car audio for very little coin.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm happy enough with the Bose system in my MS3, my main complaint is the location of the subwoofer, if anyone in the passenger seat loses change to the left of the seat, it slides down and ends up inside it, making a terrible rattle until you take it out and disassemble to get the coins out. I've only had to do it twice though. I wouldn't mind a little more bass, I do have my old Infinity Basslink from my old car I've been considering throwing in the trunk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

As STR mentioned earlier, there are kits for swapping out the HU and retaining your HVAC and steering wheel controls. But I've seen numerous reports on M247 of the kit just crapping out all of a sudden. The integrated systems are so easy to gently caress up I decided to just leave it as is and just jump in an aux port rather than gently caress everything up. I still can't fathom how a car built in 2007 didn't support MP3 playback from the factory. I bought a $50 HU for my old Jeep that supported MP3 new out of the box. loving BOSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Did some minor poo poo today, it seems like nearly every 194 bulb in the back of my cluster and hvac was burned out, nice to be able to see whats on the dash at night. I'll have to pull it again, seems I didn't get my high beam indicator bulb seated properly so it now is nonfunctional at the moment. Also went ahead and affixed the right rear inner door panel and properly reattached the left front, the screws were missing and the door card tabs werent in their holes so every time I opened the door the panel would pull way.