Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Liquid Communism posted:

I was searching for my lost wallet in the PI this week and found a gift from the Cop Fairies.

A plastic baggie full of 12GA shotgun shells under my driver's seat. Been rolling this thing around for five years with that in there.

I have a hatchet somewhere in mine from when I went on a road trip to the desert this january. It might be on the side of the interstate in new mexico, I really have no idea where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Piling on the "dead coils" bandwagon. I've even had one go bad in my '05 CVPI ("random misfire", so didn't set the cats on fire). Pull the ODB2 codes, and it should even tell you which cylinder was misfiring.

Yep, same on my '10. Random misfire on 6, pulled that plug and it was nasty, so it got coils and plugs all around and hasn't had another issue in 5 years.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Yeah, apparently the guy replaced all the coil packs -after- he had ruined the cats.

I'm still weighing this one. The quote from the auto electric guy will be the deciding factor.

Thanks to whoever posted the auto tempest link. I could just skip all the hassle, save a few thousand more and buy one from there that's already running. There's more of these available now than I would have thought.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Also, if he replaced all the coils with aftermarket.... plan to get OEM ones. From anywhere but Amazon. You'll be chasing misfire codes for the entire time you own the car otherwise.

I'll take used junkyard OEM coils over brand new aftermarket, and won't go near "OEM" coils from Amazon.

There's tons of these for sale (especially P71/P7Bs, as departments are retiring the very last of them), but a lot of people are asking stupid money for them these days.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 29, 2022

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: nevermind, not really adding anything to the discussion that wasn't already said

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is it feasible to do a conversion to the GM truck coils? Those are dirty cheap these days and junkyards are overflowing with them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Also, if he replaced all the coils with aftermarket.... plan to get OEM ones. From anywhere but Amazon. You'll be chasing misfire codes for the entire time you own the car otherwise.

I'll take used junkyard OEM coils over brand new aftermarket, and won't go near "OEM" coils from Amazon.

There's tons of these for sale (especially P71/P7Bs, as departments are retiring the very last of them), but a lot of people are asking stupid money for them these days.

Fwiw, I’m using super cheap Amazon coils (as I recall) with no issues. So far. I honestly can’t remember whether I swapped them all or just the bad one. I’ll have to check my notes on that.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Ended up passing on it. Just going to save my money and get a better one in a few months.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is it feasible to do a conversion to the GM truck coils? Those are dirty cheap these days and junkyards are overflowing with them.

LS coils are 3 or 4 wire, Ford coils are 2 wire. You'd need to do some magic to make them work.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So uh, whos got the best paint touch up kit?

My paint was literally just peeling off while driving already, I don't need a wind storm and the associated damage with that too. :mad:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm honestly shocked it hasn't peeled more by now.

Embrace the acne look. Unless you sand it through the lovely horrible primer and re-paint it, it'll eventually shed its skin.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The paint on my 2004 Lincoln looked pretty good when I bought it (probably because it lived in someone's grandpa's garage), but after me parking it outside for three years the clearcoat started peeling off almost in sheets. The paint itself started wearing through soon after, I'm just waiting for the rust spots to show up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Can confirm. When I filled the antenna hole in my roof, I managed to feather that and get it nice and smooth, but I also tried to feather the peeled spots on the roof while I was up there, and there was a bit of a reaction to the spray-bomb primer:

Might have just been too humid at the time as well.

Also missed a spot at the rear:

Actual repair came out nice:

Oh, and more paint peeled off when I removed the masking:

:doh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm kinda tempted to cover my hood and roof in tape, then rip the tape off. Easier than sanding the paint off! Might not be able to do that to the trunk for a bit, it hasn't been peeling as long.

I was going to cover it in bedliner, or just do a roller paint job. Gotta remove the poo poo that's there first though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I feel that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
when people talk about waxing their car they don't usually mean as a method of paint removal

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

when people talk about waxing their car they don't usually mean as a method of paint removal

Pfffft!

Giving the Crown Vic a Brazilian.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:q:

edit: context

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

:q:

edit: context

LOL

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
e: car is okay now but LOL

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 26, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

e: car is okay now but LOL

Huh.
Lot of wind/drifting snow?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

Huh.
Lot of wind/drifting snow?
Oops. Yeah 60 mph winds and lots of snow. Icy snow caused some belt slippage but she came out fine.

Anyone ever install a hitch on these boats before? I've had one since last year I just haven't gotten around to installing yet. Seems pretty easy? Line hitch up to frame mark holes drill holes fishwire bolts then tighten up. Any tips?

I bought it with no real purpose, but now I have plans to pick up some sort of bike hitch for it so I can finally start taking my bike places and using it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

Oops. Yeah 60 mph winds and lots of snow. Icy snow caused some belt slippage but she came out fine.

Anyone ever install a hitch on these boats before? I've had one since last year I just haven't gotten around to installing yet. Seems pretty easy? Line hitch up to frame mark holes drill holes fishwire bolts then tighten up. Any tips?

I bought it with no real purpose, but now I have plans to pick up some sort of bike hitch for it so I can finally start taking my bike places and using it.

Yeah, that's basically it. I don't think I had to drill holes on mine - it used existing holes. Mine came with a fish-wire that threaded on to the bolts to pull them through, pretty neat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine came with a U-Haul receiver and bag of bolts, but I couldn't find any holes that anything lined up with.

I may still have the drat thing...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Mine came with a U-Haul receiver and bag of bolts, but I couldn't find any holes that anything lined up with.

I may still have the drat thing...

My hitch was a Curt, as I recall.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

My hitch was a Curt, as I recall.
This is what I have! Picked it up for $75 last summer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

This is what I have! Picked it up for $75 last summer.

Sounds about right. Got it from eTrailer or direct from Curt, I think. Huge box.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine was in the trunk of the car when I bought it. :shrug:

I did find it in the garage last night though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BTW, if anyone wants it, I put the design for my license plate light camera mount up here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5962245
Obviously, it should fit a Grand Marquis, but I really don't know if the Town Car uses the same light housing. Also not sure about years, but probably 98-12. I don't think the Aeros used the same light.

Edit: Tasca Ford says part # F8AZ-13550-AA 98-11 CV and GM: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-license-lamp-f8az13550aa

edit again: 98-02 Town Car is a different shape overall, but if the bolt holes are in the same place, and the inside protruding part the same size, it might fit there, too, possibly with trimming?: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-license-lamp-f8vz13550ba

edit once more: Town car fits down a little in a recess, flange is shaped to match, but? Also 03-11 looks same as 98-02 in pictures. Not sure what the real difference is. Looks like it just may be that they don't sell the lamp separately from the whole license surround.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 13, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats pretty cool! If I ever manage to get a camera maybe I could toss you various monies to print one up for me? No 3d printer :saddowns:

However some more weight savings has been applied to my boat over the weekend.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

Thats pretty cool! If I ever manage to get a camera maybe I could toss you various monies to print one up for me? No 3d printer :saddowns:

Sure, I can do that.
Hell, I just had the revelation that I could have got some clear/translucent filament and not had to have the bulbs be exposed... Possible V5 incoming.

quote:

However some more weight savings has been applied to my boat over the weekend.

If it hasn't happened, it will.
What's galling is that the only way to fix it is to strip and repaint. You can fix it there, but it'll pop up somewhere else when a chip starts getting water under it.

Kind of want to feather what chunks I've got missing and wrap the thing.
then watch 80% of the paint peel off when the wrap is removed in a few years...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

From the "what did you do to your car today" thread, and my own thread:

Darchangel posted:

Since I was learning to use Fusion 360, I investigated importing TinkerCAD models into it, and what do you know - since they are both Autodesk products, there is a direct path for export to Fusion 360. It works great, BTW. I exported the Crown Vic dash cam model (I posted that in here, right?), and adjusted a few things, noticeably extending some surfaces to eliminate awkward insets and spaces, and filleting a bunch of edges.

The biggest change I made was an offshoot that makes the bottom solid, for use with clear filament:

Which I then quickly implemented:

(must have missed a bit of black filament while cleaning the plate...)

It seems to transmit (and diffuse) light well just holding it up against lights.

I also just designed a gasket - easy to do in Fusion 360 by just extruding the top mounting surface of the model as a new object and offsetting the inner opening by 0.5mm:

The 3D printed TPU gasket fit great.

Assembly fit as expected in the car (I mean, why not? All I did was fill in the holes, and round off some corners.)

(yes, that little bit of black filament that snuck in annoys me.)

Light transmission seems adequate:

It looked fine in the evening, as far as lighting the license plate goes.

Next up, I wanted to change how mu phone is mounted in the Crown Vic. I have Car Play, so I don't need to look at it constantly, therefore it was mounted to my center console (prior post detailed it) but it was a little too close to the cup holders, getting in the way when both holders were used with typical American 50-gallon-drum fast food drinks. I wanted to raise it and scoot it back a bit, easily done with a piece of bar stuck the rear of the catch-all slot.
Now, I was planning on using a piece of aluminum or steel bar, but I have a 3D printer. So I whipped out a design and printed it.

First off, this was my first try at printing ABS, and the Anker hated it.
First attempt popped loose and got pushed off of the bed. Second attempt, I added a raft. It got farther, but still started to lift right near the end, so I paused it and stuck it down with blue tape:

It finished successfully.

The little stepped recess at the end is where my car mount will stick, BTW.

Here's how much it popped:

Finish is... meh.

Mount attached:

And then stuck in the console.

Obviously I measured all this up using a paint stirrer before modeling. Come to think of it, a chunk of trim probably would have worked nicely, too - but I don't have to finish or paint the 3D print! It's also really light.

I need to do some more work to be able to print ABS reliably, possibly some temperature adjustments, and definitely an enclosure. That stuff is picky. One goon suggested a draft wall that prints with the part, which is a neat idea.

edit: the camera mount is published on Thingiverse here, if anyone is interested:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5962245

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I broke the part of my key that attaches to a keyring so I got some blanks online and had em keyed for a few bucks. Tried programming the keys myself since I have two sets. After programming a new key the PATS light was supposed to light up for a few seconds but it didn't. Today I drove to work using the new key but I had the old key in my pocket in case it didn't work.

1) The key in my pocket was too far away to be read, right?

2) I must have programmed the keys right, right? Its hard to find much info, but it looks like using a non-transponder key in a transponder ignition will most likely cause it to crank and never start? The guy at the key shop mentioned something about the car possibly stalling too if the key isn't programmed. If I took a 20 minute drive on the highway should I consider myself safe?

3) Its possible for PATS to be disabled by a tuner but I didn't request it and I assume marty wouldn't do that by default. I also have a remote starter but it was installed by a reputable shop...those are only supposed to disable that PATS system for remote starts and not 100% of the time...right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Is yours a former fleet (police or otherwise) or civilian vehicle?

The fleet cars almost always had PATS disabled. If it did have PATS, the transponder key would need to either be in the ignition or held up to the steering column while trying to start, otherwise it would crank/no start. It sounds like your car is ex-fleet, especially since the security light isn't coming on.

A tuner can disable it, but Marty doesn't normally do that unless you're going to him in person (AFAIK). If your car was always civilian, it's possible a previous owner installed a remote start, and taped part of a transponder key near the ignition switch (it'd be under the plastic trim).

It's also possible someone swapped your PCM for a fleet PCM at some point. IIRC you have a Marty tune, right? I think (not sure) he'd be able to tell you by the part number on the PCM.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 13, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

randomidiot posted:

Is yours a former fleet (police or otherwise) or civilian vehicle?

The fleet cars almost always had PATS disabled. If it did have PATS, the transponder key would need to either be in the ignition or held up to the steering column while trying to start, otherwise it would crank/no start. It sounds like your car is ex-fleet.

A tuner can disable it, but Marty doesn't normally do that unless you're going to him in person. If your car was always civilian, it's possible a previous owner installed a remote start, and taped part of a transponder key near the ignition switch (it'd be under the plastic trim).
Always civilian. I had the remote start installed myself at a pretty reputable shop. If they do stuff like tape keys to ignitions it'd be the first I'm hearing of it. I guess I'll just assume I programmed the keys correctly and carry a spare for a little while?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, the remote start installers probably taped a cloned key head to the steering column under the plastic. If they did, even a basic metal key will start the car.

Some will use a programmable transponder specific to the car, but it's cheaper for them to just clone your existing key. You should assume your new keys didn't get programmed, but PATS is probably picking up whatever is closest. It's also possible your "new" keys are cloned copies if you went through anyone except the dealer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 13, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm not sure if my old keys were a cloned set or a proper 1+2 set. Either way as long as my car isn't gonna stall out randomly I'm good 👍

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It only checks the VATS during startup - once it's running, it's not going to shut down on you. At least not for that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

randomidiot posted:

Yeah, the remote start installers probably taped a cloned key head to the steering column under the plastic. If they did, even a basic metal key will start the car.

Some will use a programmable transponder specific to the car, but it's cheaper for them to just clone your existing key. You should assume your new keys didn't get programmed, but PATS is probably picking up whatever is closest. It's also possible your "new" keys are cloned copies if you went through anyone except the dealer.

The programmable transponder bypasses aren't that expensive. I have one that I got for a friend's wife's Escape or something, but they literally just never used the remote start before selling the car, so we never got around to installing. Cost me like $20 or something? It basically is a cloned key.

randomidiot posted:

It only checks the VATS during startup - once it's running, it's not going to shut down on you. At least not for that.

Yeah, it basically interrupts ignition (actual spark) and fuel while cranking.

Reminds me I need to get a locksmith to cut new keys from the VIN for mine. I don't have an original and the hardware store duplicates I have are worn terribly. Cop car, so no PATS. Sadly, not fleet key, either. *almost* but not quite.

edit:
Oh, lost a chunk of the car earlier in the week:

Flew off on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I can see the paint coming off in the wind...but the corner light??