Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
The entire time I lived in Seattle I've only seen one of those in that color privately owned. (probably a different year, but looked drat close) And I really really wanted it. I've always wanted a retired crown vic for some reason, but I just really like the SPD blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Boba_Fettish posted:

The entire time I lived in Seattle I've only seen one of those in that color privately owned. (probably a different year, but looked drat close) And I really really wanted it. I've always wanted a retired crown vic for some reason, but I just really like the SPD blue.

They're available, theres a lot on Aurora between 90th and 100th thats got a few of them in SPD blue but all the other ones I've seen are in the 2800-3k range. I think I stole it, considering I was 1400 out the door with tax title and all included

sports
Sep 1, 2012
the Panther platform is one of the only reasons I can still say "I like American cars".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wolrah posted:

They're just normal cars, they have cats (two per side on some models) and there are no exemptions when in civilian hands. The cops probably don't have to get 'em tested, but they don't exactly have plates on 'em either. My old '93 CVPI got the sniffer twice during the time I owned it, anything '96 and up would get the plug.

In Texas, they don't need registration stickers (and the plates show "EXEMPT" below the name of the state). But they get smog/safety inspections like any other car, and carry the same inspection sticker that my car has. Hell, even the city garbage trucks get inspection stickers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

They're available, theres a lot on Aurora between 90th and 100th thats got a few of them in SPD blue but all the other ones I've seen are in the 2800-3k range. I think I stole it, considering I was 1400 out the door with tax title and all included

You stole it, no question. Retired P71s go for 3k around here with twice the mileage.

If you keep it it will go another 200k easy.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I bought mine for a hair under 2500. Well worth it so far, and the most I've ever paid for a car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

You stole it, no question. Retired P71s go for 3k around here with twice the mileage.

If you keep it it will go another 200k easy.

Like he's going to keep it that long.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's why I added the "if".

I'm just saying with his skills he could keep it going forever with minimal effort. Once he gets all the worn suspension parts replaced it's basically just fluid changes, brakes and tires for the next 100k.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah that's why I added the "if".

I'm just saying with his skills he could keep it going forever with minimal effort. Once he gets all the worn suspension parts replaced it's basically just fluid changes, brakes and tires for the next 100k.

We both know some slutty old Honda is going to catch his eye in the near future.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

We both know some slutty old Honda is going to catch his eye in the near future.

Or aircooled VW

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Or aircooled VW

We all go back and have sex with an ex at least once in our lives.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, with how bad my joints are aching in the morning, and being 6'2, I'm kind of finding that I like the whole seating position and the whole "all this poo poo works properly" part of it. Also it's my first V8 and I finally know what it feels like to be a man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Actually, with how bad my joints are aching in the morning, and being 6'2, I'm kind of finding that I like the whole seating position and the whole "all this poo poo works properly" part of it. Also it's my first V8 and I finally know what it feels like to be a man.

In looking back at your threads here in AI there's a really good joke on the tip of my tongue.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly you should just force yourself to keep it as your DD, you got it super cheap and it will never let you down as long as you own it. If you feel the need to torture yourself again just get project to gently caress with.

Also if you've ever wanted to take a road trip start planning now because you have the best vehicle for it. IIRC cruise control is plug and play, all you need is a steering wheel with the buttons.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

In looking back at your threads here in AI there's a really good joke on the tip of my tongue.

I'm sure that's not the only thing on your tongue.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

leica posted:

IIRC cruise control is plug and play, all you need is a steering wheel with the buttons.
So, you don't have to hook up wheel speed sensors or a cruise control brain box? Not trying to sound like a smartass, but I've tried putting cruise on more finicky cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nope, pretty sure every Vic is cruise ready, all it needs is the wheel with the buttons. P71s are the only Vics that came without the cruise wheel. Probably because they didn't want cops using it :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Even the vacuum modulator / cruise solenoid is present? Interesting, on most vehicles I work on, if it doesn't come with cruise it doesn't come with that, even when the ECU is capable of it.

Generally what I see on modern EFI vehicles is that cruise requires swapping a steering wheel (or buttons), a clockspring, and installing the vacuum modulator. Done.

Obviously if it's a DBW vehicle you don't need to install a vacuum modulator :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think so, I could be wrong though. It's stupid easy, I know that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I know Ive mentioned it already but I really, really like the soft purposeful burble of a V8 cruising.

Also, when heading to lunch I saw the dude in front of me look in his rear view, have a definite oh poo poo flinch, and throw what appeared to be a lit joint out his window. Which is confusing on several levels if you think about it. Pot's legal here, I mean, sure not for driving with but if anything that littering is all the excuse I'd have needed to light him up. Also, seattle cop cars still mostly seem to use the gigantic light bars, its pretty distinctive.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

leica posted:

Nope, pretty sure every Vic is cruise ready, all it needs is the wheel with the buttons. P71s are the only Vics that came without the cruise wheel. Probably because they didn't want cops using it :v:

Wait, you sure about this? When I bought my P71 it already had a wheel with the cruise control buttons and it's interior matched and factory looking. Of course it also has the mounting points for a carseat harness in the back too.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Also, when heading to lunch I saw the dude in front of me look in his rear view, have a definite oh poo poo flinch, and throw what appeared to be a lit joint out his window. Which is confusing on several levels if you think about it. Pot's legal here, I mean, sure not for driving with but if anything that littering is all the excuse I'd have needed to light him up. Also, seattle cop cars still mostly seem to use the gigantic light bars, its pretty distinctive.

Paranoia's a bitch. You should have pulled up beside him and waved. :haw:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Previa_fun posted:

Paranoia's a bitch. You should have pulled up beside him and waved. :haw:

That's beautifully harsh.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Wait, you sure about this? When I bought my P71 it already had a wheel with the cruise control buttons and it's interior matched and factory looking. Of course it also has the mounting points for a carseat harness in the back too.

Your car probably wasn't a cruiser then, maybe a detective P71 which tend to be a lot nicer.

I've never seen a cruiser with CC.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

Your car probably wasn't a cruiser then, maybe a detective P71 which tend to be a lot nicer.

I've never seen a cruiser with CC.

Hmm. Could be. It's an old county car that belonged to one of the deputies that patrolled the town I grew up in, so lord knows how they fitted it. Hell, they left the radio gear in the trunk when they sold it to me :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Hmm. Could be. It's an old county car that belonged to one of the deputies that patrolled the town I grew up in, so lord knows how they fitted it. Hell, they left the radio gear in the trunk when they sold it to me :v:

If you bought it recently the radio gear was left because it is worth less than nothing.

Everyone had to switch to narrow band a few years back due to an FCC ruling. The old radios are basically of no value anymore as most of them are too expensive to convert to either naroow band or to usage on a band that doesn't require narrow band (like for business mobile or amateur use).

These FCC rulings are basically Motorola's sales channel.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

I know Ive mentioned it already but I really, really like the soft purposeful burble of a V8 cruising.

You and I both. There's just something about the sound of an American v8...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mine has Cobra mufflers and it sounds awesome :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

T1g4h proves that glasspacks are the only answer :allears:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 15, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

^^^ Ahaha. Yeah they do sound mean.

Motronic posted:

If you bought it recently the radio gear was left because it is worth less than nothing.

Everyone had to switch to narrow band a few years back due to an FCC ruling. The old radios are basically of no value anymore as most of them are too expensive to convert to either naroow band or to usage on a band that doesn't require narrow band (like for business mobile or amateur use).

These FCC rulings are basically Motorola's sales channel.

If by "worth nothing" you mean "worth $350 when sold on eBay" :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

T1g4h posted:

If by "worth nothing" you mean "worth $350 when sold on eBay" :v:

Good on you! That's real money. It must have been newer/more useful than a lot of what one would typically find abandoned in them.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just had a cop wave at me on a country backroad out past Olympia. poo poo's awesome.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

Good on you! That's real money. It must have been newer/more useful than a lot of what one would typically find abandoned in them.

Heh, i'm clueless about radios, but this is what it was:

I would have been happy with $20, so that $350 was a drat nice surprise.

I just had a cop wave at me on a country backroad out past Olympia. poo poo's awesome.

It never, ever gets old.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That radio probably ended up being used by an amateur radio nerd, they're known for being quite moddable and built like brick shithouses. I've seen more than a few repeaters patched together with a couple of those, iirc W1WPI's 2m side was based off one in fact.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

http://youtu.be/Rb4zgicqa_I

LITTERING AND LITTERING AND LITTERING AND...

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/Rb4zgicqa_I

LITTERING AND LITTERING AND LITTERING AND...

Oh man, there's gotta be a better quality video of that.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

N is for Nipples posted:

Oh man, there's gotta be a better quality video of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKtGnyGuKM&t=5m34s

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Heh, i'm clueless about radios, but this is what it was:

Oh.....that's a relatively new radio. I was NOT expecting something like that to have been left behind.

Yeah, that makes for a nice 110 watt transmitter around 450-482 Mhz. Expensive to program, but as kastein said some amateur radio nerds are all about their batwings so they already have the poo poo they need to program them. They are absolutely built like tanks.

There's really no other place a radio like that could be used, as to my knowledge all business and public service traffic on the band split that radio has needs to be narrow band now (and that radio can't do it).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tater_salad posted:

You need a boskuzuku exhaust, giant roof spider, pizza delivery roof sign, old taxi light housing or something so that they know you aren't a cop.
I want to get a bull bar and paint it lime green or something.

T1g4h posted:

Hmm, might just be an option I don't know about.
It is, there was a "street appearance package" with the chrome grille and full-diameter civvie-type wheel covers, and a regular Crown Vic badge instead of the "Interceptor" one on the trunk. I think it still had the black tail panels, though.

My former Texas highway patrol car has cruise control. And a real backseat.

14", have you noticed any craziness with the wiring yet? Mine was competently returned to stock when it was sold out of service, but I've heard horror stories of retired city cop cars with quick and dirty equipment installation/removal jobs. Like the one guy whose dome light comes on when he hits the horn button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You guys have me looking at cheap Crown Victorias now, but I have a question.

I saw this photo on one of the listings, and can't for the life of me figure out what the heck it's supposed to do. The graphic leads me to believe that it drops a boat anchor out of the car, which then ejects the seat, but that can't be right.

EDIT: Child seat anchor?

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 17, 2013