Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blugu64 posted:

You guys have me looking at cheap Crown Victorias now, but I have a question.

I saw this photo on one of the listings, and can't for the life of me figure out what the heck it's supposed to do. The graphic leads me to believe that it drops a boat anchor out of the car, which then ejects the seat, but that can't be right.

Top anchor point for a car seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Child seat anchor point

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Attachment for the other really sexy handcuff position. Or LATCH, either way.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Delivery McGee posted:

14", have you noticed any craziness with the wiring yet? Mine was competently returned to stock when it was sold out of service, but I've heard horror stories of retired city cop cars with quick and dirty equipment installation/removal jobs. Like the one guy whose dome light comes on when he hits the horn button.

Nothing works incorrectly but I've got gigantic harnesses out the rear end going to nowhere in the trunk and under the dash. Anyone know if Carfax works on retired cruisers for shits and giggles?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

DJ Commie posted:

Attachment for the other really sexy handcuff position.

:stare:

I... I never thought of that before... :hawaaaafap:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Nothing works incorrectly but I've got gigantic harnesses out the rear end going to nowhere in the trunk and under the dash. Anyone know if Carfax works on retired cruisers for shits and giggles?

Should work, I grabbed this at random from eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006...=item19d9dd1c4b

Its vehicle history report flags is for "Police Use," and there aren't a lot of records, since PDs have their own maintenance and don't have to register, but theoretically it should have a report for your car available.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can anyone ID these alternate small-diameter hubcaps? I've only ever seen them on my P71 -- everyone else has the flatter kind.

I miss that car :'(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Can anyone ID these alternate small-diameter hubcaps? I've only ever seen them on my P71 -- everyone else has the flatter kind.

I miss that car :'(

They look like universal replacements, something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-5-Lug-...its=Make%3AFord|Model%3ARanger&hash=item588fa24935&vxp=mtr

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That explains it. They were stamped with the Ford logo in the middle, but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... how realistic is it to find a deal as good as 14" got around NY? I might be in the US on a longish vacation this year and would very much prefer my very own land barge rather than renting some shitbox.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not very realistic, 14" lucked out. Expect to pay around 3k for non ragged out cruiser with under 150k.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

So... how realistic is it to find a deal as good as 14" got around NY? I might be in the US on a longish vacation this year and would very much prefer my very own land barge rather than renting some shitbox.

Specifically a Panther flavored barge, or anything? Because there are always decent barges cheap around here.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That was kinda cool, my drivers door has always took a little bit of shouldering to get it to open or close, very heavy action. I just put a block of wood and a floor jack under it, and after a shot or two I got the door swinging and shutting the way it was meant to be.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Black88GTA posted:

Specifically a Panther flavored barge, or anything? Because there are always decent barges cheap around here.

Doesn't have to be Panther, that just seemed like a good combination of cheap to by, reliable, cheap to fix if something does blow up, and stereotypically American. That's not really how I'd describe a 25 year old 5-series, but the SLS looks like a perfect candidate once I get over my distaste for FWD, thanks!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

That was kinda cool, my drivers door has always took a little bit of shouldering to get it to open or close, very heavy action. I just put a block of wood and a floor jack under it, and after a shot or two I got the door swinging and shutting the way it was meant to be.

Sounds like someone's been grabbing the top of the door to get out for most of the car's life.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
So I managed to get my car over to an Autozone for some license plate screws and a diagnostic check. Before I headed over though, my Check Engine light turned off and stayed off. Kinda strange. Anyways, I got the clerk to come out and do a reading, and sure enough I got a Cylinder 8 Misfire code that set the flashing CEL off weeks ago. At least now I can narrow my search for the issues... problems standing in the way are, I have absolutely no tools and no place in which to work on the car, as well as no spare cash to pay for labor. What's the bare minimum tool-wise that I'd need to get to the bottom of the misfire?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Assume it's the COP and replace it with an aftermarket coil. It's a $20 gamble to see if it'll fix it. Though according to this thread, you wanna use OEM parts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't know about on the Panther, but on the F-150 with the 4.6/5.4, the #8 plug was right under the cowl - and prone to getting a soaking if the gasket between the hood and cowl was compromised.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah just replace the coil, and that should fix the problem. All you need is a 10mm socket IIRC.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My coils were bolted on with a single 7mm bolt each. A quarter drive and about 3" of extension cleared the fuel rail perfectly. Might as well pull the plug with the coil if you've got about 8" of extension and a 5/8" spark plug socket to check it.

E: STR on my Vic all 8 plugs were accessible with almost zero effort. Pull the plastic cover and the intake boot, and that was it.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 18, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blugu64 posted:

EDIT: Child seat anchor?

You got it.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Panther-body cars are the safest cars to come out of North America. They are incredible- near comparable to a Volvo in every way.

I don't think Ford will ever make a great RWD Panther fleet successor, and the new Taurus has some obscene $32k base price.
The fact that the Alaska State Troopers refuse everything but Crown Vics to navigate some of the most treacherous terrain is pretty cool, too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sports posted:

Panther-body cars are the safest cars to come out of North America. They are incredible- near comparable to a Volvo in every way.

There's no two ways about it -- newer-designed cars are simply safer.

New Taurus:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1139&seriesid=435
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1140&seriesId=435

Last gen Panther:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=181&seriesid=308
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=708&seriesId=308

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This just started parking on the street :tinfoil:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I don't think you're going to have theft/burglary issues on your street anymore.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Dr. 14 INCH M.D., OBD-GYN

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kastein posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're going to have theft/burglary issues on your street anymore.

I live in Disneyland for hobos and we have a lot of theft and burglary issues in the neighborhood. You've just given me an idea that's a lot more fun than a security system.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This just started parking on the street :tinfoil:

It's the GTA effect. Soon your entire street will be nothing but Crown Vics :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just want to elaborate on this because it's still not very clear from your links:

Safety standards go up all the time. If you look at an older car's safety rating, it's generally set based on the contemporary standards; so, a car that got an A rating in 1990 is nowhere near as safe as a car that got a B rating in 2010. It's very difficult to find basic grading-type numbers that allow you to compare across different generations of vehicles.

This should be obvious, if you think about it: in 1990 almost no cars had airbags beyond maybe a driver and passenger front-impact airbag, usually as options. Today, airbags are standard and most cars have side-impact airbags too. That's just an immediately-obvious example, but it goes on, including things like high-strength bars in the doors and pillars, increased standards for pedestrian-impact, the advent of backup warning sensors/cameras, etc. It's also the case that newer cars have better-performing suspensions and tires, which make avoiding an accident more likely, which improves safety in a way not measured by tests that focus on performance in an impact.

Even the panthers re-designed after 2006, and the models sold in 2010 with standard side-impact airbags etc., still had the same old frame, which you can see in kimbo's fourth link was rated as "poor" by the standards of 2009-10.

So this:

sports posted:

is just totally wrong. Maybe they were the safest when they were brand new (in 1979), but now even the ones made up through 2011 were already basically obsolete in terms of core safety technologies, and almost any car designed and built to conform to US standards in the last five or ten years is safer.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 19, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Yes, because a car that you can't see out of the back window with is really safe.
Safety standards improve, sure, but the safety arms race has turned cars into swollen messes that require rear-view cameras to even take into account pedestrian accidents.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That white P71 came into my shop today for an alignment. It's a Colorado car, 1999. One spot light, cruise control, carpet, and cloth back seat. Nifty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sports posted:

Yes, because a car that you can't see out of the back window with is really safe.
Safety standards improve, sure, but the safety arms race has turned cars into swollen messes that require rear-view cameras to even take into account pedestrian accidents.

If you want to start a thread modeling how poorer rear view visibility has increased injury and mortality rate in newer cars, please do that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

sports posted:

I have never felt less safe in the driver's seat than I did in a new Camaro. I love giant greenhouses.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Splizwarf posted:

I have never felt less safe in the driver's seat than I did in a new Camaro. I love giant greenhouses.

Oh thank god, it's not just me then. My mom has one and every time I ride in that thing I feel so drat cramped and unable to see. It has the tiniest side windows I have ever seen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sports posted:

Actually this is a good point, and I kind of wish car safety ratings included a factor based on nationwide statistical data about frequency and severity of accidents. Because there are a lot of car features that aren't measured by safety standards bodies; in particular, the ability of the car to facilitate the driver's avoidance of an accident (beyond braking performance, which is measured), which would include maneuverability, visibility, active and passive warning systems, lighting, and so on.

Obviously this cannot work for a new model, since there'd be no data to base it on. And, it could be very difficult to control for driver demographics and regional differences (cars mostly owned by younger people might be in more accidents than those mostly owned by middle-aged people; cars used more in snowy/icy conditions might have more accidents than cars people don't drive in those conditions; cars affected by excessive rusting rates in road-salt areas might perform worse than cars mostly used in non-rusty areas whose components are not prone to rust; and so on).

Panther cars were among the most popular fleet vehicles ever made, of course, including obviously among police cars. This could skew statistics wildly in their favor even if you exclude accidents that occur while a car is a cop car... because everyone drives more safely when a Panther car is in view? On the other hand, a ton of Panther-platform cars were used as taxis, and those see a lot more use on the road, but then again taxi drivers might be more experienced and therefore avoid accidents better, and also mostly drive within cities where accidents are at lower speeds and thus less severe...

So in the end, I think all you can do is go with the safety test results and the rest is personal anecdotes and arguments without useful data to back them up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Splizwarf posted:

H3 in Reno winter.

I thought I was going to die/kill someone.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

I think the misfire is the stumbling you're talking about and its at high load (Freeway) that its becoming more pronounced. Check the plugs at least if you have a 7mm socket for the coils and a long extension+ 5/8" spark plug socket.

If it's anything like my Lincoln, a flashing CEL is most definitely a misfire, and a bad one, like you are melting your cats from all the unburned fuel escaping. I swear every ford-flavored V8 I've ever touched has had COP issues. Sneaky ones too, not just an outright failure, just a marginal one that you have to pull them and test with a multimeter to chase down.

Kremling
Nov 22, 2011
Pretty sure I saw 14"s land boat cruising around Everett, Evergreen way last Monday.
Where were you on the morning of monday the 18th?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

If it's anything like my Lincoln, a flashing CEL is most definitely a misfire, and a bad one, like you are melting your cats from all the unburned fuel escaping. I swear every ford-flavored V8 I've ever touched has had COP issues. Sneaky ones too, not just an outright failure, just a marginal one that you have to pull them and test with a multimeter to chase down.

Yeah I think I'm gonna change my plugs and while I'm at it test every coil and I'll post the results. People on CV.net claim it's how the mpg's slowly get worse over time without you really noticing, the coils just get weaker and less efficient and sometimes never actually die, just barely putting along enough not to throw a CEL. I hate gradual issues like that because it's impossible to tell you even have a problem, even more so because the oem COPs are loving expensive to just replace for the hell of it.

The MSD COPs seem to be getting great reviews though, and are cheaper than oem and an aftermarket name I would trust with making coils anyway. Never heard anything bad about anything MSD makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'll be ohming out mine too, I just did an Olympia run and netted 20mpg round trip freeway. I mean I know its not a civic but I've read people getting mid 20s up to a high of 28 so figured it'd be something to look into.

Also, what's the general consensus on fully synthetic oil? There's a few regulars at the shop who run full synth in their mustangs, and I've never had a car new enough to bother looking into it.

E: also wasnt me in Everett, I get thursday fridays off.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 20, 2013