Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: WELCOME TO THE PANTHER PLATFORM MEGATHREAD :siren:

But Dr. 14 INCH PRIVATE DICK TWINCHARGED SUPERLEGERRA STERLING MOSS EDITION, What is a Panther car? The Panther platform was designed by Ford WAY THE gently caress BACK in 1979, and have generally been comprised of the Ford Crown Victoria, the Mercury Grand Marquis, and the Lincoln Town Car/Continental. There were minor exceptions here and there, but for the most part these were the major players.

HOLY gently caress THAT SOUNDS BORING (or does it??) WHY WOULD I EVER WANT SOME SNOOZY GRANDPA MOBILE? Why, because the Panther cars are well regarded for reliability, cheap parts, easy to fix, and a big fuckoff American V8. Many people these days look down on the Panther cars for being based off of comparatively ancient technology, but for the small but dedicated enthusiast community these shortfallings are often hailed as selling points. Sure, it may be big and heavy and a little thirsty on gas, but I'm 6'2" tall and can move my seat back far enough to make it difficult to drive, and still put people behind me.

Typically for the most part, this thread will be covering what everyone thinks of these days when they hear Panther platform, the third generation. Here's the Wikipedia entry helpfully breaking down model and year designations. However everyone's welcome to participate, from early models to late. From Civilian to Police, we're all equal here (cop cars are automatically more equal though).

List of helpful links courtesty Leica:

Leica posted:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm ....Main forum, proceed with caution

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/ ....For dealer parts, best prices on the net. Of course link Rockauto for all other parts.

http://www.adtr.net/index.php ....Performance aftermarket

http://www.reinhartperformance.com/index.htm ....Performance aftermarket and Panther "tooner"

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pr...CFeZgTAodCEWOvw .....Air suspension replacement parts.

Other helpful links:
Crownvic.net thread on common Panther issues and diagnoses
Visteon Coilpacks are European Motorcraft. OEM Performance for a fraction of the price.
Rock Auto, for just about everything you could possibly need.

This OP will be fluid and updated periodically! See something you think should be in here? PM it to me!

I just bought a 2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, in Seattle PD blue. As it sits, we have 111k miles, front bull bars, dual spotlights, plastic inner rear bench, no interior door handles AT ALL. The beast has been curbed loving hard, the steering wheel is off about 60 degrees and I need to replace two rims and one tire. But the engine and driveline drive like a new car. The light is fading now, but I just got it home, and more pictures top to bottom will be posted tomorrow.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, sorry. $1400 out the door from a used car lot thats filing all my plate fees and tabs for me. So I dont havr to pay anything else.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard the transmission needs regular servicing, it currently shifts like butter and I intend on keeping it that way. Everything works. I dont know what to do with myself.

E: some basic walkaround shots, my phone was running on empty earlier.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 1, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just located a Vic wrecking yard about 15 minutes away called Taxi King, and someone's selling a security partition on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks. I could use a hubcap and I'll bet they got the wheels I need for cheap.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why are there so many options for rear control arms? I've never really thought of that as a wear item on a live axle.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about the grille, except it seems like Seattle PD uses them for some reason. I see cruisers that look pretty close to this, with updated lights though. This is likely what mine looked like in service.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's definitely had the badge before, but removed. I'll pay more attention but the pictures of the local Seattle cruisers mostly seem to have the chrome grill. I've never really noticed before.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Vim Fuego posted:

Man, I bet that backseat is nasty. Did you get it from that place on aurora by the Lowes?

I got it from a little car lot like right next to Seatac. I've already put 60 miles on it, it's awesome.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, will the 4.6 have the spark plug problem I've heard about? The removal or lack therof, I mean.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god and my tax return just showed up. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY LIFE?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm at the shop now getting an oil change and lifetime alignment. After that, it's to the wreckers to get some rims and a steering wheel. Also the parts store for headlight bulbs and wipers. The bulbs work they just seem really dim, and the wiring looked intact so start with the easy preventative stuff first.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Got it on the alignment rack, found that it was actually pretty god damned tight in the front end. The camber and caster were mostly in spec, 0.4* cross differences. Specs wanted-0.5* camber and 5 caster, i got both sides to -0.9* camber and 5.4 caster. Toe as suspected was way out, but the adjustment collars on my tie rods were nearly totally frozen so I manhandled it into spec for total toe to not wear the tires out, and I've got total front tie rod assemblies ordered.

Headlights wound up just being black from age, probably one pothole away from popping for good. Replaced both. New oil change. Checked trans fluid, theres some very slight seepage from the pan but the fluid looked nice and red and new. Also got 8 OEM Ford spark plugs, dont know if I need them but I'm just going to do what I can now and get it done with.

On my way to the crown vic graveyard.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No prizes, but I did just whip out of a parking lot and turn my headlights on because it was drizzling and the dude in front of me immediately popped his hazards on and pulled over. I wasnt even chasing him down and obviously dont have strobes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
More pictures.

Here's one of the tie rods.

Paints not too bad.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of phone chargers I need to find an easy fused B+ source to tap for a generic cigarette lighter socket. I'm sure its there somewhere I just havent really searched yet.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

meatpimp posted:

I really like the former-service look... purposeful and you don't really need to care about it.

PYF helped me find the picture or else I would have posted this yesterday as a response. It kind if feels like driving this.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've still got 900 left after bills and I'm thinking tint and a radio deck that I can plug Pandora into.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
But my fuel economy :saddowns:

Also this is already the biggest engine by displacement and raw numbers that I've ever owned, the next closest even comparable was the 2.5 in my E30 and (displacement wise) the 2.6s in the Froot Truck 2 and Starion. Everything else has been 2L or smaller, and I'm up to 17 cars now I think at last count. Maybe 18.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Actually I've heard we have a lot of Panthers up in here, maybe we should just consolidate in this thread? I dont mind. Could use with a decent rename if we want to.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 3, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:downs: I forgot, I'll correct that now

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Something happened here but it doesnt seem to be leaking now, hose tag looks newer.

Upper control arms and front shocks are on the menu.

Cooler assembly

Words dont do justice how bright this dome light is, its in additional to the normal domes.

Gutted rear doors, but I do have the door panel for it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I saw one of these on I-5 S towards SODO/Georgetown at about 8:30pm Thursday night. Would that have been you??

I actually had never seen a Seattle blue former cop car before, that I knew of, so it's kind of weird that I saw one IRL and then see this thread.

Its likely it was me, actually. Was out cruising for the gently caress of it. I was in that area around that time, I've already had 2 friends spot me in Ballard too.

Also, dick move to let my car idle at the entrance to our lot to get the heat running? :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If we're going to have it more inviting to all panther owners, how about "I think it looks more like a Puma- Panther Parking Only" as the thread title?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think it'd be more fun that way, to be honest. Since it's not such a rare car and theres a larger community base in Ai than say a 142, it doesn't need quite the same spotlighting and we can all share! I'll PM IOwnCalculus.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thats also pretty funny, and so true.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My ex room mate went down for selling coke to an undercover in a Town Car for what its worth.

Course, I've also seen someone get pulled over by an undercover Neon. How do you manage to pull THAT beat?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just had 2 four to 6 year old boys drag their parents over across the parking lot to look at the 'cool car.' :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Scheduled my tint appointment for Thursday morning. I'm not going to go full on limo dark, but I definitely think with the black wheels and black rear on the trunk, some dark windows would look good. Also, first car I've owned that I personally felt tint would not look like rear end on.

I've spent so loving long playing catch up on my cars its about time I get to do something appearance-wise.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So I looked at about a dozen CV's today in my car lot jaunt and man, I just don't see what you guys do. They do nothing at all for me. But I'm still glad you got a nice car 14"!

As mentioned a huge part of it is Because Cop Car, but also for me as stated I wanted something cheap, easy to fix, (possibly but didnt have to be) American, and relatively comfortable. This is the first car I've ever owned with working ice cold AC! Which of course comes in handy during the scorching, hellish Seattle summers let me tell you.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I thought defrosting a car meant rolling the window down and pulling an Ace Ventura.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking 14 INCH DRAG QUEEN but really that's a discussion for the off topic thread.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think this is probably the best I could fit within the character limits. (cop farts)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Because I dont know how to :shobon: also my friend suggested making it in black and white.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Actual P71 question, wheres the antenna mount for the radio? I've got an antenna wire in the dash hooked to the stock am/fm crown vic radio, which then appears to run down to the glovebox then near the passenger door hinge. Without gutting my car, wheres the likely end to the wire?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I followed the antenna wire to the trunk where it makes a U turn into the rear passenger pillar and goes upward. This thing is on my roof, is this my antenna mount? I've never seen one so wide before, if it is what kind of antenna can I use for my radio?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Changed the oil too and my Rhino ramps are starting to buckle under the weight :btroll:

I'm still not over how well this thing sticks considering its sheer mass, it inspires far more confidence than taking a quick turn in the Volvo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It came out a lot darker than intended, but I'm just going to roll as is for now until I need to change anything. I went with 20% based purely off their little demo tags on the wall. They did quality work though,and my coworker had their car tinted by them 3 years ago and still looks like new. Midnight Tint on Aurora. If I had to do it over again I'd probably go with 30%

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Little bit of work and I've now got the ability for more than Am/Fm! Cheapy Pioneer deck from craigslist. 30 bucks, an install kit, and only one blown fuse.

Don't ever look inside the dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Did some minor poo poo today, it seems like nearly every 194 bulb in the back of my cluster and hvac was burned out, nice to be able to see whats on the dash at night. I'll have to pull it again, seems I didn't get my high beam indicator bulb seated properly so it now is nonfunctional at the moment. Also went ahead and affixed the right rear inner door panel and properly reattached the left front, the screws were missing and the door card tabs werent in their holes so every time I opened the door the panel would pull way.