Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Great excuse to stick a big gently caress-off whip antenna back on, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExtremeODD posted:

I get a disturbing clunk on my '00 p71 when turning the wheel side to side, sometimes while turning and hitting a bump. No clue what causing it, but this car is full of mystery like the disappearing of about 3-4qt of oil with no smoke from exhaust and not a drip on the ground.

Have you checked your coolant? :ohdear:

E: I suppose it would usually go the other way, wouldn't it. Still, peace of mind and all that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Yep. You can trust rockauto, I've been ordering from them for years and have never been sent a wrong part. As long as you put in the correct year/make/model you'll get the right parts.

I bought rear brake cylinders for my truck and left/right were switched. I don't know if that means that a PO put them on the wrong side before (and bent the hardlines to match) or rockauto had them backwards or Raybestos had them backwards.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

Wouldn't you just buy both anyway - then match them up? I can't say I've ever really checked the part numbers when I have a replacement part, I just check that they are the same.

I'm going to guess rockauto has them backwards though, they're the most likely to make that mistake.

I did, but to make my job "easier" I looked at the website to find out which was which, and sharpied a big "L" and "R" on the boxes so I'd have them sitting on the ground on the correct side of the truck.

That said, they do seem to get just about everything right, it's just pretty annoying when they just don't have a section for the thing I'm looking for, so I have to get it someplace else.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

T1g4h posted:

Comedy option: Save up, find a wrecked SVT Lightning, drop in the supercharged 5.4 :v:

No. This is not the comedy option. This is the correct option. Lightning 5.4, 5-speed from a Mustang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1XlX8izDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_hp4XecwI

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Weep hole?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Never mind I got it popped off, was hoping something came unplugged but all seems fine. Should I just be replacing the actuator at this point?

Unplug the harness plug at the actuator, put a test light or DMM on it, and see if it's getting power when you tell it to unlock the door. If it is, it's probably the actuator, yeah. If it isn't, you gotta figure out why.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Hello again thread. Me and my dad we successful in changing out his blend door, and fixing his door locks. Have another problem that we never addressed though. Today he locked himself out of the car so I started looking into figuring out the electronic keypad door locks. Google says that there should be a white tag in the trunk with 5 digits, and there is but we've tried that before and it doesn't work. One thing I noticed today though is that the print date on the tag is 1/19/10, while his car is a 2009 model year. That doesn't make sense, right?

When google says you can replace the module to get a new code, what part is this that is actually being replaced? The physical keypad that mounts on the door? Or is it a smaller module inside that door that has to be swapped?

09 grand marquis

Have you tried to brute force it? I guess this is assuming that nothing bad happens (timeout, alarm, etc) on a bad code entry (or several).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Flashing check engine light means "whoa, gently caress, stop doing that, I'm dying here" and you should definitely not keep driving it like that. Generally, it means a misfire is occurring. This could be because the sensor is throwing the fuel trim off enough for it to miss pretty badly. You should definitely get that fixed before you drive it at high speed like that. If the sensor is reading lean, that means it's throwing the mixture richer than it should, so you're dumping a bunch of fuel into your exhaust that otherwise wouldn't be there, which is not good for your cat on that side. So if you keep that up, you might need to replace that too. I'm not sure how much cats are for these cars, but they're usually somewhere in the ballpark of a couple grand, so it's not to be taken lightly.

If it was reading rich, I'd say it's causing the fuel trim to go lean until it detonates and pulls the poo poo out of timing, which could lead to long term mechanical issues (if it doesn't catch it in time), but yours is reading the other way I guess?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Powerglide. Had a '68 El Camino with one, and a 327. I should have kept that car, but young and stupid.

An El Camino might be light enough to be fun with that combo, but my Impala had that drivetrain combo originally and I'm glad it's a 350/350 now. That extra stroke and extra gear really help it un-rear end.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Luxrage posted:

I went to a gas station today that had really finicky pumps, the pumps wouldn't stay running, and the one I had that actually worked ended up overflowing a bit onto the side. It deep cleaned the vinyl on the side of the wagon to the point where I found out that there are tons of cracks down the side of the paneling. It's barely noticeable but it really burns me up.

I was planning on having the surround redone at some point, since the paint is all going on them, and was planning on having all of the siding redone, so I'm not tremendously concerned. The vinyl under the gas cap is all ruined from gasoline already, as well as under the door handles and some other spots.

Now the squire matches the other wagon!

The other issue that popped up last week is this noise from the engine bay, you can hear a sort of higher pitched chuffing or clinking from the engine bay at idle. I'm not sure if it's an accessory bearing or what it is, but I might have to take it in to get looked at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcoPzOCwr4

On the plus side, I just bought a house! I'll soon have a garage I can actually work on my cars in as of next month! The downside is that takes up all my cash so hopefully this mysterious noise isn't anything major!

Sounds like the belt to me, but it could be something rubbing (check all pulleys especially the tensioner and any idlers) or a bad bearing like you say.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

lampey posted:

I'm having trouble getting a window regulator from the scrapyard. Can't force the window down so I can reach the rivets attaching the window glass. All the other rivets came out easy enough. Is there a trick to getting the window down without power?

Got an M12 power tool and some beefy alligator clip wires?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Don't forget anti-seize!

Does ford still use uncoated plugs in the mod motor? :chloe:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

yay for a 100% completely working car with no problems of any kind. Even the radio works and the cupholders are OK. 91,000 miles on this guy, and it was babied.

Oh boy. Look what you gone done did. Don't you know that you gotta leave one minor thing broken?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I think that could easily be just worn bushings, so replacing the arms is on the right track, though, since I have a press, garage, etc, I’d probably just replace the bushings in the existing arms. It should be a lot cheaper, though obviously more time and labor consuming.

one benefit to doing this is that you'll notice if anything is bent when you have it all apart

might as well do the balljoints too?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
you had UV dye in there before, right? so you should be able to find the leak, and double check the shop's diagnosis

i would probably be tempted to poke a schrader valve momentarily to see if it's pressurized, but yeah if you let any refrigerant out to the atmosphere that's illegal. so uh try not to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
when people talk about waxing their car they don't usually mean as a method of paint removal